PDA

View Full Version : Cataracts surgery

Magicfloat
03-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Seems like I may have cataracts. When I look at a street light,there is a halo around it,like a fireworks display.Worse with one eye than the other.Driving at night,traffic lights are exploding halos of red or green,and oncoming headlights are halos of white. I see fine during the day,is this a big deal. My friends say I may need cataract surgery,how serious a deal is that? Who has done it?

Chris
03-18-2010, 12:05 AM
My sister and brother-in-law are opthalmic surgeons. Two weeks ago my dad had the surgery. I even went in and watched. It took less than 5 minutes. We weren't in the room more than 10. He got there 90 minutes before. They started putting in antibiotic drops every 20 min, then an anaesthetic. Quick incision, suck out the old lens, insert the new one. His vision was better that afternoon. He had an itchy feeling for a little bit.

I just had a crown done on a molar. It wasn't that big a deal. But I'd take the cat surgery over that any time.

Buoy
03-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Dad had it done about 6 mos. ago.
No big deal.
For him, the build-up and nervousness was worse than the procedure.

drpete3
03-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Yes Its no big deal as long as that is in fact the problem. Have you seen your eye Dr? If not get in ASAP and get your Dx confirmed.

MacGyver
03-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Seems like I may have cataracts. When I look at a street light,there is a halo around it,like a fireworks display.Worse with one eye than the other.Driving at night,traffic lights are exploding halos of red or green,and oncoming headlights are halos of white. I see fine during the day,is this a big deal. My friends say I may need cataract surgery,how serious a deal is that? Who has done it?

Yes Its no big deal as long as that is in fact the problem. Have you seen your eye Dr? If not get in ASAP and get your Dx confirmed.

Hey Pete, aren't you like an eye doctor, or something ;)

drpete3
03-18-2010, 08:45 AM
My concern is these symptoms can also be a sign of a particular type of glaucoma. Closed or narrow angle glaucoma is very serious and needs immediate treatment. My guess is since he is asking the Serious crowd that he has not saught any medical advise from a professional and making the assumption that cataracts is the cause is dangerous.

gerritm
03-18-2010, 10:48 AM
My 89 year old mother-in-law had 1 eye done day before yesterday. She had a little discomfort, but already has the patch off and is seeing 100% better. If she can do it anybody can.

Magicfloat
03-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks,guys Appointment next week.

BBB725
03-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I had lense replacement surgery about 6 month ago. Nothing surgery lasted like 5 min the prep was alot longer.

Bobcat
03-18-2010, 04:53 PM
I have Bobcataracts.........If I was in the Middle East it would be BobcatIraq's.....I'll quit now..:leaving:

TMS1155
03-18-2010, 08:11 PM
I've had both eyes done. Went from legally blind to 20/30 in right and 20/50 in left. You will need to wear reading glasses afterwards but thats it. You wont believe what you've been missing and not realizing it. You also get a free pair of sunglasses but you don't want to wear them in public.

BUIZILLA
03-18-2010, 08:57 PM
my wife has similar symptoms, but she has Fuchs Dystrophy... she has to have a cornea transplant to solve her issue(s) in both eyes... they don't do that on every street corner..

DoubleDown
03-18-2010, 09:25 PM
as an anesthesiologist I have administered anesthesia for thousands of these operations, if cataract surgery is indicated, a ophthalmologist can perform this procedure in 5-10 min with minimal complications. If the patient has certain medical conditions, the complication rate may increase somewhat but serious morbidiity or mortality is rare. This is a relatively minor operation, certainly not open heart surgery.

RedDog382
03-18-2010, 10:06 PM
My concern is these symptoms can also be a sign of a particular type of glaucoma. Closed or narrow angle glaucoma is very serious and needs immediate treatment. My guess is since he is asking the Serious crowd that he has not saught any medical advise from a professional and making the assumption that cataracts is the cause is dangerous.

Gotta agree with this Robert. Glaucoma was my first thought too ...

drpete3
03-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Bottom line get in and get checked. CLosed angle glaucoma can case blindness in less than 24 hours