PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket issue, Can anyone help?

Lubejobs42
03-16-2010, 04:03 PM
i got a speeding ticket in St. Lucie county FL in December. Thee cop gave me a break and lowered it to 99 in a 70 which it put it under the 30 mph over. I hired the Ticket Clinic to fight it. Yesterday they contacted us and told us we lost. Besides the $400 fine I received 4 points.
I have contacted 4 attorneys in that county with no response yet. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the points? I will gladly pay more of a fine, go to driving school or community service but I need to get rid of the points if i can.
It will cost me THOUSANDS a year in insurance premiums if i don't.

Any thoughts??

Thank you

Premier Perf
03-16-2010, 04:11 PM
check your PM

phragle
03-16-2010, 04:17 PM
lowered it to 90...how the phuck fast were you really going?? :eek:

JupiterSunsation
03-16-2010, 04:36 PM

lowered it to 99! :eek:

St Lucie is a redneck county and knowing the flashy cars Gino has combined with his given name I don't suspect Roy Black would be able to get him a break up there!

In Miami I have never seen a speed trap on I-95 and as a student at UM I have many nights coming up I95 at triple digits with not even a close call. Unless you are firing guns out the window or tossing beer bottles at oncoming traffic I don't think speeding is a big issue down there. However St. Lucie it is their favorite passtime outside of chewing tobacco and watching Smokey and the Bandit re-runs!

skaterdave
03-16-2010, 04:39 PM
got one the other day from FHP, your ph@#ked. mines still pending, but heres what i knew and found out. CDL people, wether driving a commercail vehicle or not at the time are not eligible for traffic school. so i went to the court house and talked with the girl, she stated that the judge would mostly likely find me guilty even w/lawyer but woud let me go to traffic school too get rid of the points. it's up to the judge and if you a good record then they should allow school. thats hendry co but most often they just want the $$$ and the school is just more money into the system.

Ron P
03-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Cops must love giving tickets to Lambos and Porsches.

Wrinkleface
03-16-2010, 05:27 PM

193!!! Sorry Gino!! just mess'n w/ ya!!!:biggrinjester:

Shockwave
03-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Gino ? Speeding ?
I think we all at Seriuos Offshore could give character witnesses saying
" Gino if the safest never speeding guy we know ".
That will help .
Good Luck Gino .
It was only just over a year ago when Bike Builder Billy Lane killed a guy while driving impaired .
I'm sure the locals have put some heat on the Police to watch things a little closer .

KnotRight
03-16-2010, 05:40 PM
i got a speeding ticket in St. Lucie county FL in December. Thee cop gave me a break and lowered it to 99 in a 70 which it put it under the 30 mph over. I hired the Ticket Clinic to fight it. Yesterday they contacted us and told us we lost. Besides the $400 fine I received 4 points.
I have contacted 4 attorneys in that county with no response yet. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the points? I will gladly pay more of a fine, go to driving school or community service but I need to get rid of the points if i can.
It will cost me THOUSANDS a year in insurance premiums if i don't.

Any thoughts??

Thank you

Dealer plates.

Ratickle
03-16-2010, 05:47 PM
I've got a friend there. I'll call him and see what (who) he knows.

sy goldberg
03-16-2010, 05:49 PM
A VALENTINE radar detector helps in about 90% of time.I drive pretty fast for an old fart and it has helped me many times.

Lubejobs42
03-16-2010, 05:56 PM
A VALENTINE radar detector helps in about 90% of time.I drive pretty fast for an old fart and it has helped me many times.

I have one in one of the other cars. I have a passport in the Masserati when he got me. He was going the opposite way and hit me with radar when he was passing. I knew i was busted when i saw him. Driving from Orlando to Miami is so boring. There was nothing around for miles.

northernoffshore
03-16-2010, 06:09 PM
You should of hired a local lawyer whose in that court room everyday to handle it from the start . It's worth the 2-300 to keep your insurance clean. Ticket clinic and smuck lawyers always stick you with the points and charge you too. Traffic school can be ordered by a judge 100 times ,but if you ask for it there is a limitation of a couple of times in your life. It's always up to the judge for any kind of leiniency, so it always best to show up yourself unless your lawyer says stay home. Tickets are a big hassle when you own multiple vehicles and your insurance doubles. In ft. myers I use Micheal Rich now and so far so good.good luck.

BY U BOY
03-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Cop got me for 92 in a 60 the other day. Gave me a lecture about wreckless driving and how he could take me to jail then says have a nice day and slow it down:eek: Guess he was having a good morning.

phragle
03-16-2010, 10:41 PM
All the ticket firms do is go in and reschedule the court date several times, extensions etc.. in hopes that when thy run out of extensions the cop who wrote the ticket doesn't show up. If they dont get the extension, your guilty. You can argue all day that the radar was off etc etc etc, but when you rolling tripple digits in a 70, the cop only has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt you were going 71. 99 in a 70 isn't rollin with traffic, its a complete disregard for the speed limit and the judge laughed at the lawyers attempt to postpone. The ticket clinic bozo's dont know anything the judge doesn't already know...

Dangerous Dave
03-16-2010, 10:43 PM
The last 4 tickets I've gotten, I just pay the "donation" and do the online traffic school.

Griff
03-17-2010, 02:37 AM
If you have already entered a guilty plea via the Ticket Clinic, then you are most likely done and have no recourse. About your only option would be to file an appeal using a real attorney. You could possibly file it based on ineffective counsel.

Buoy
03-17-2010, 03:42 AM
Nobody likes to pay a speeding ticket.
And even worse can be the repercussions of the ticket.
Funny, the last ticket I got was in '06 on my way home from the Cumberland PR. You were docked right behind us with Lubejobs. We spoke for a bit.
At the risk of sounding unpopular, did you learn a lesson?
What if it were a DUI, would we be trying to find a way to get out of that too?
Nah, because that would be taboo, and you should have known better not to drink and drive.
I've been there, and it isn't fun, and I couldn't really afford the THOUSANDS it cost me. But, I make sure not to do that again.
But, in some way running 100+ down the highway is "safe"??:rolleyes:
I mean, a lot can happen when running over the century mark in any vehicle.
Not to say I haven't done it, but, you got caught, and let's face it, it's not safe.
I find it hypocritical if we all get on here and are talking about sober boating, and lifelines when on plane, and lanyards, and then we get in the car and drive 30+ over the limit in the car on the way home.
Sorry to be the downer here, but it is a point that no one has touched on.

JupiterSunsation
03-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Funny, the last ticket I got was in '06 on my way home from the Cumberland PR. You were docked right behind us with Lubejobs. We spoke for a bit.
Nah, because that would be taboo, and you should have known better not to drink and drive.
I've been there, and it isn't fun, and I couldn't really afford the THOUSANDS it cost me. But, I make sure not to do that again.
Not to say I haven't done it, but, you got caught, and let's face it, it's not safe.
I find it hypocritical if we all get on here and are talking about sober boating, and lifelines when on plane, and lanyards, and then we get in the car and drive 30+ over the limit in the car on the way home.

I-95 is 4 lanes in each direction up in St. Lucie. Any of those high dollar cars run as smoothly at 100+ as your Avalanche does at 55! The braking/handling capabilities of a Lambo/Maserati/SLR or whatever else Gino runs crushes 98% of the cars out there. This wasn't like running 100 mph on a two lane main street by passing a school, church and nursing home, this was essentially an 8 lane highway with a 200+ ft. median separating the north and southbound lanes. In Europe speeds like these are normal without higher traffic fatality rates so it can't be the car's fault.

Just arguing the flip side to your point Buoy.......

htrdlncn
03-17-2010, 11:27 AM
I had many a speeding ticket growing up and living most my life in south florida.
I drove many fast/safe cars ,I know most people drive insanely fast,
especially on turnpike, alligator alley and even I95 especially in the lauderdale area
late at night , that being said the speed limit is the law.
You go faster you break the law.
You tried fighting ti and it didnt work.
You get caught,man up and admit it and pay the price.
Dont care if your car is safe at 155 and everyone was doing 100,
if the speed limit is 70 and by your own admission you were doing over 100 your very lucky your not in jail. 30 over is arrestable in florida and can
be charged as reckless endangarement , a way more serious charge than a simple speeding ticket. Id say the officer was actually nice to you.

Smarty
03-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Gino,

I took an online state approved Defensive Driving Course for a two point reduction form my driver's history/driver's abstract. In NJ I once had a five point ticktet downgraded to a two point offence for my own traffic ticket. Even, I a lawyer, who knew the Judge, knew the Prosecutor, and knows the law could not have my magic wand erase the ticket completely. I was satisfied with the result.

http://www.dmvflorida.org/traffic-school.shtml or

www.idrivesafely.com

Take an online state approved course get a two point reduction (at least here in New Jersey). I am an attorney who handles speeding tickets, DWI/DUI, ect. I have taken the idrivesafely course, I am not affiliated with either online link I posted above, but just make sure whoever you do business with it is a state approved course.

More recently I was ticketed in Florida last May when I driving to Sarasota. Drove all the way from New Jersey, was five miles from Phantom Boats (I was going to pick up my boat), and got a ticket. I view that as an out-of-state travel tax. I was speeding, officer did his job, he did cut me some slack at the stop by lowering my mph over from 20+ mph to 5 mph over. I paid the ticket, but Florida has reciprocity with New Jersey (points and ticket/guilty plea transfer for Motor Vehicle Commission purposes), so hence an online defensive driving course.

E-mail if you have questions.

Stephen R. Jones
Attorney-At-Law

PS I have always, and I mean always done well for my clients when it comes to speeding tickets.

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!! :cheers2:

northernoffshore
03-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I had many a speeding ticket growing up and living most my life in south florida.
I drove many fast/safe cars ,I know most people drive insanely fast,
especially on turnpike, alligator alley and even I95 especially in the lauderdale area
late at night , that being said the speed limit is the law.
You go faster you break the law.
You tried fighting ti and it didnt work.
You get caught,man up and admit it and pay the price.
Dont care if your car is safe at 155 and everyone was doing 100,
if the speed limit is 70 and by your own admission you were doing over 100 your very lucky your not in jail. 30 over is arrestable in florida and can
be charged as reckless endangarement , a way more serious charge than a simple speeding ticket. Id say the officer was actually nice to you.

No more dangerous than running that big motor in your chapperal. Florida was great before Charlie Crist(the gay gov) ruined it with the b.s. speeding laws and fines in search of revenue. Can't ride my gsxr without constantly searching for the cops.

Tommy Gun
03-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Whats the best radar detector?

Boss460
03-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Valentine One

BY U BOY
03-17-2010, 02:18 PM

Valentine. they will pay for the ticket IF you get one.

fund razor
03-17-2010, 02:18 PM
No more dangerous than running that big motor in your chapperal. Florida was great before Charlie Crist(the gay gov) ruined it with the b.s. speeding laws and fines in search of revenue. Can't ride my gsxr without constantly searching for the cops.

All the top safety experts speed on motorcycles. :)

phragle
03-17-2010, 02:20 PM

That may be the least of your worries in the future. I have had one speeding ticket in the last 10 years. That arrived in my mailbox. It was from a tiny video camera mounted on top of a lightpole. 7 am on a saturday morning, 6 mph over the posted limit without another car in sight. Technology can and will be used, not for increased safety, but for increased revenue generation.

That said the best radar detector would be an active radar jammer. Unfortunatly, an effective one isn't commercially available.

macjazzy
03-17-2010, 03:00 PM

Great point Buoy, too bad everyone seemed to just gloss over it. You can not compare running 100+mph in any car on US roads vs. a German Autobahn. Differential speeds kill. Coming up on some old lady doing 55 while you close at 100 is extremely dangerous. No matter what car you are driving.

You can't control or even fully predict what another driver will do in that situation.

On an Autobahn all the drivers on the road know to expect cars to come whizzing by at 100+ mph ( or that case 130+kph) and are prepared for it. Drivers here are not prepared for that

A casual glance in the rear veiw mirror, to see you coming up on them from a mile away, it could be very easy to misjudge closing speeds in a case like this. The other driver thinks he has 1 minute to make a lane change and he has half that, you come running up expecting him to stay where he is and.......

Brand or performance is irrellivent in this case. Not to mention wildlife, or any number of things that could happen in an uncontrolled environment like an interstate highway.

Knot 4 Me
03-17-2010, 03:45 PM
great point buoy, too bad everyone seemed to just gloss over it. You can not compare running 100+mph in any car on us roads vs. A german autobahn. Differential speeds kill. Coming up on some old lady doing 55 while you close at 100 is extremely dangerous. No matter what car you are driving.

You can't control or even fully predict what another driver will do in that situation.

On an autobahn all the drivers on the road know to expect cars to come whizzing by at 100+ mph ( or that case 130+kph) and are prepared for it. Drivers here are not prepared for that

a casual glance in the rear veiw mirror, to see you coming up on them from a mile away, it could be very easy to misjudge closing speeds in a case like this. The other driver thinks he has 1 minute to make a lane change and he has half that, you come running up expecting him to stay where he is and.......

Brand or performance is irrellivent in this case. Not to mention wildlife, or any number of things that could happen in an uncontrolled environment like an interstate highway.+ 1.

fund razor
03-17-2010, 03:48 PM
That may be the least of your worries in the future. I have had one speeding ticket in the last 10 years. That arrived in my mailbox. It was from a tiny video camera mounted on top of a lightpole. 7 am on a saturday morning, 6 mph over the posted limit without another car in sight. Technology can and will be used, not for increased safety, but for increased revenue generation.

That said the best radar detector would be an active radar jammer. Unfortunatly, an effective one isn't commercially available.

I think that you can get GPS units now that have known traffic camera location warnings on them.

Bobcat
03-17-2010, 03:52 PM

I have a good one......it also makes anyone within a mile sterile......:)

Smarty
03-17-2010, 04:52 PM

I agree with your point, I think is straight-up bullsh*t when the police and or politicians say the traffic-light video camera is to reduce accidents, it is about generating more tickets, more revenue. Funny thing, I have not yet been to court with a defendant on this type of ticket.

TCEd
03-17-2010, 06:35 PM
I-95 is 4 lanes in each direction up in St. Lucie. Any of those high dollar cars run as smoothly at 100+ as your Avalanche does at 55! The braking/handling capabilities of a Lambo/Maserati/SLR or whatever else Gino runs crushes 98% of the cars out there. This wasn't like running 100 mph on a two lane main street by passing a school, church and nursing home, this was essentially an 8 lane highway with a 200+ ft. median separating the north and southbound lanes. In Europe speeds like these are normal without higher traffic fatality rates so it can't be the car's fault.

Just arguing the flip side to your point Buoy.......

So he was driving over 100 mph when caught and it sounds like he has a bunch of previous points so maybe he shouldn't be driving that fast. Just because you have a Maseretti or Lambo doesn't give you a free pass.

phragle
03-17-2010, 06:56 PM
I think that you can get GPS units now that have known traffic camera location warnings on them.

Hell, I was leaving your house when it happened... one would think yuo could have warned me... :sifone:

fund razor
03-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Hell, I was leaving your house when it happened... one would think yuo could have warned me... :sifone:

The warning was when you passed them on the way over? :o

phragle
03-17-2010, 08:41 PM

I drove in from the opposite direction.......

Ratickle
03-17-2010, 08:53 PM

A real friend would have shot it down if they knew you were on the way over......:sifone:

JupiterSunsation
03-17-2010, 09:30 PM
I agree with your point, I think is straight-up bullsh*t when the police and or politicians say the traffic-light video camera is to reduce accidents, it is about generating more tickets, more revenue. Funny thing, I have not yet been to court with a defendant on this type of ticket.

Google Juno Beach, FL and you will find a bunch of info on their traffic safety van/red light cameras. Short story: Small town with 5 miles of US-1 gets a free van from a private company out of Ga. Van shoots laser/radar out of the side and snaps shots of speeding vehicles (9+ mph over limit). PRIVATE COMPANY mails you a $125 ticket. Town keeps 47%. No points but they threaten to send to collections if unpaid. 2nd violation $250.
If you protest, you have to pay $50 up front to contest the fine.

Town got sued by local lawyer on grounds if violates constitutional rights (to face your accuser in court). Juno Beach wanted Ga. company to "escrow" all fees collected in case they lost the court case (this could bankrupt town since they have collected 750K in ticket fees). Ga. company said no way and town yanked the van off the road last week......

Van was painted all white, no lettering. IF it was geared for safety why wouldn't they paint it a bright color and letter it like a school bus or fire truck?
People were boycotting local businesses to try to punish the town....Sad thing was locals never got caught since the van was very visible and mostly out of towners got bagged.

JupiterSunsation
03-17-2010, 09:31 PM
So he was driving over 100 mph when caught and it sounds like he has a bunch of previous points so maybe he shouldn't be driving that fast. Just because you have a Maseretti or Lambo doesn't give you a free pass.

No I agree.... I was just making the point the car, that speed as a combo isn't any more dangerous than a 60 MPH boat ride......

Davidmnc
03-17-2010, 10:07 PM
A real friend would have shot it down if they knew you were on the way over......:sifone:

Or at least paid the ticket! I bet he was over there fetching beers for him while he worked on the boat!

sledge
03-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Google Juno Beach, FL and you will find a bunch of info on their traffic safety van/red light cameras. Short story: Small town with 5 miles of US-1 gets a free van from a private company out of Ga. Van shoots laser/radar out of the side and snaps shots of speeding vehicles (9+ mph over limit). PRIVATE COMPANY mails you a $125 ticket. Town keeps 47%. No points but they threaten to send to collections if unpaid. 2nd violation $250.
If you protest, you have to pay $50 up front to contest the fine.

Town got sued by local lawyer on grounds if violates constitutional rights (to face your accuser in court). Juno Beach wanted Ga. company to "escrow" all fees collected in case they lost the court case (this could bankrupt town since they have collected 750K in ticket fees). Ga. company said no way and town yanked the van off the road last week......

Van was painted all white, no lettering. IF it was geared for safety why wouldn't they paint it a bright color and letter it like a school bus or fire truck?
People were boycotting local businesses to try to punish the town....Sad thing was locals never got caught since the van was very visible and mostly out of towners got bagged.

I never realized this, but cities were advised to issue these red light tickets as "code violations" because there is no state traffic law to back them up. Within the last couple weeks a guy in Aventura got his tossed. I think it was ticket cricket that made it happen...

htrdlncn
03-18-2010, 12:22 AM

Nowhere in my post did I pass judgement saying it was dangerous,
just that its against the law and that in this case seeing as it was more than 30mph over the limit the officer could have easily made it much worse ..
If the speed limit is 70mph anything over is breaking the law regardless how safe you feel.
Dont see why that is such a hard concept for some guys to grasp. As I said, i have gotten caught myself and and have dealt with it, if your gonna break the law you have to accept the penalty if you get caught.
Many many moons ago I recieved one for 135 in a 35 racing down US1 ,
I got caught,I dealt with it, simple as that. Didnt blame anyone except my stupid ass and didnt try to weasel out of it.
Doesnt matter if your driving a 1million dollar Bugatti that can safely do 200mph. If you are going a measly 75mph you are still breaking the law. Get caught and be a man and deal with it.

Expensive Date
03-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Could have been worse....... just saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsllEk4wcjw

Buoy
03-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Nowhere in my post did I pass judgement saying it was dangerous,
just that its against the law and that in this case seeing as it was more than 30mph over the limit the officer could have easily made it much worse ..
If the speed limit is 70mph anything over is breaking the law regardless how safe you feel.
Dont see why that is such a hard concept for some guys to grasp. As I said, i have gotten caught myself and and have dealt with it, if your gonna break the law you have to accept the penalty if you get caught.
Many many moons ago I recieved one for 135 in a 35 racing down US1 ,
I got caught,I dealt with it, simple as that. Didnt blame anyone except my stupid ass and didnt try to weasel out of it.
Doesnt matter if your driving a 1million dollar Bugatti that can safely do 200mph. If you are going a measly 75mph you are still breaking the law. Get caught and be a man and deal with it.

I happen to agree with you.

To change the subject, but driving related, .08 is the law. Over it, you're guilty, and some people will nail you to the cross. Myself, I have quite a tolerance, as I know many others around here do. But, .08 is the law and the line. I don't risk crossing it anymore. I learned my lesson.

gerritm
03-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Get used to it guys. Tax revenue is down, this is a way to bring in revenue. It is only going to get worse. Living here south of Houston in a small community, we call it running the gauntlet. There are 5 small communities with traffic cops lining the highway and back-roads. All they have to do is write tickets. The locals know about it, but their favorite targets are the truckers coming to the port. Constant harassment. They always have someone pulled over. They are getting so bad that the cops are following people into their subdivisions and checking if they make full stops @ stop signs. It is short of ridiculous, but it is the main source of revenue. I do have a Valentine One in all of our vehicles. Limit for drinks at dinner is 1 drink. They are blunt about it when they pull you over, they have a quota and need to fill it. There are very few warnings. I have never had a ticket in 40 years of driving (not saying I didn't deserve one) and I got a speeder and a failure to come to a complete stop @ a stop sign in my subdivision within 2 weeks of moving. Needless to say I have changed my driving habits. Same thing with my wife and son.

fund razor
03-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Get used to it guys. Tax revenue is down, this is a way to bring in revenue. It is only going to get worse. Living here south of Houston in a small community, we call it running the gauntlet. There are 5 small communities with traffic cops lining the highway and back-roads. All they have to do is write tickets. The locals know about it, but their favorite targets are the truckers coming to the port. Constant harassment. They always have someone pulled over. They are getting so bad that the cops are following people into their subdivisions and checking if they make full stops @ stop signs. It is short of ridiculous, but it is the main source of revenue. I do have a Valentine One in all of our vehicles. Limit for drinks at dinner is 1 drink. They are blunt about it when they pull you over, they have a quota and need to fill it. There are very few warnings. I have never had a ticket in 40 years of driving (not saying I didn't deserve one) and I got a speeder and a failure to come to a complete stop @ a stop sign in my subdivision within 2 weeks of moving. Needless to say I have changed my driving habits. Same thing with my wife and son.
Sounds like their evil plan worked. :)

Our cops "harass" shoplifters, muggers, rapists and burglars too. But I am one step ahead of those bastards. I don't shoplift, mug, rape, or burgle anybody. So far it's working. I haven't been harassed at all.

GENERAL LEE
03-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Our cops "harass" shoplifters, muggers, rapists and burglars too.

But I am one step ahead of those bastards. I don't shoplift, mug, rape, or burgle anybody.

So far it's working. I haven't been harassed at all.

http://smiliesftw.com/x/roflkeke.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

tommymonza
03-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Naples got the cameras a year ago. Alot of ticketing for not stopping at the whiteline which is bs.I avoid going into Naples because of the cameras and so many cops aching to pull you over.

fund razor
03-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Naples got the cameras a year ago. Alot of ticketing for not stopping at the whiteline which is bs.I avoid going into Naples because of the cameras and so many cops aching to pull you over.
While I am not sympathetic toward people who speed, run stops signs, etc and get caught, I hate the cameras. I think that the ticket should be written by a cop.

The only accident that I have ever had was when a guy in front of me slammed on his brakes for a green light because he was afraid of the camera, and thought that the light was about to change. (In essence, he locked them up at a green light) I was pulling a boat in a light rain and although I was able to stop... his hitch helped. And my front end was toast. :(

I am 100% opposed to the cameras.

Chris
03-18-2010, 01:48 PM
I am 100% opposed to the cameras.

When they first hit, I didn't like the "big brother" feel of them at all. And I questioned the Constitutional issue- the Confrontation clause of the Sixth Amendment, which most states circumvented by moving the offense from being a criminal misdemeanor to a violation of a civil rule.

But at the same time, I spend alot of time on the roadways. And I live one block in either direction from a school. I basically live in a school zone. So I get to see a pretty fair sized chunk of driving behavior.

So on this topic, I'm torn. I know about the impracticality of having an officer sitting in every school zone and at every busy intersection in the country, all day long. But at the same time, I believe a school speed zone should have every possible measure to ensure safe driving is occuring at all times. And we all realize that many, many severe and often fatal accidents occur in intersections and that many times it's people running red lights. Innocent people obeying the laws are injured and killed every day by motorists who are either negligently or purposefully violating traffic laws in these high-risk areas.

In the end, these cameras should be and most likely are a deterrent. I would think their ability to generate revenue would taper off quickly. I've been driving 35 years now. I've caught on to where the best places for the locals and the Highway Patrol to set up are all located. And I remember them as I drive. I'd think the intersections and school zones would quickly get this reputation. And when that happens, we'd have compliance by deterrence. And in that situation, doesn't everyone win?

Birdog
03-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Sounds like their evil plan worked. :)

Our cops "harass" shoplifters, muggers, rapists and burglars too. But I am one step ahead of those bastards. I don't shoplift, mug, rape, or burgle anybody. So far it's working. I haven't been harassed at all.

I dont see many cops hiding behind the aisles at my local store. Maybe just me though.......

Smarty
03-18-2010, 02:46 PM
So basically If I am reading this thread correctly, the question is if I break the law and am dumb enough to get caught doing it. Then get charged with a lessor crime to boot out of compassion how do I get off the charge because it is going to raise my insurance rates. Have I missed something of substance here? WOW.
HT

Nope, your summarization is on point. When a driver is ticketed for speeding he or she should expect to pay between $200 to $400 per point, per year for three years due to an an auto insurance ($$$) increase on the policy, so it is a significant monetary issue for those charged (the $200-$400 statistic is from the auto insurance industry in NJ, not my opinion).

fund razor
03-18-2010, 03:39 PM
I dont see many cops hiding behind the aisles at my local store. Maybe just me though.......

No. They have "loss prevention" people who do that. They are hiding behind the aisles, mirrors, and cameras. They only call the cops after you have been detained.

fund razor
03-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Nope, your summarization is on point. When a driver is ticketed for speeding he or she should expect to pay between $200 to $400 per point, per year for three years due to an an auto insurance ($$$) increase on the policy, so it is a significant monetary issue for those charged (the $200-$400 statistic is from the auto insurance industry in NJ, not my opinion).

Your summarization of what you thought was his point is on point. :)

X-Rated30
03-18-2010, 05:02 PM

This thread is pointless...

Except for me to brag about the fact that even though I get a few tickets, my driving record is clean. Last one was coming home from the airport the Monday after I went to the Superbowl. The ticket hasn't even made it to the appropriate DA's office, yet I have it in writing that it will be dismissed. I LOVE my job.:driving:

mosi
03-18-2010, 05:30 PM
When they first hit, I didn't like the "big brother" feel of them at all. And I questioned the Constitutional issue- the Confrontation clause of the Sixth Amendment, which most states circumvented by moving the offense from being a criminal misdemeanor to a violation of a civil rule.

I thought Sister Ferdinand taught me the 6th Amendment was "Thou shalt not kill"

that came right after "Honor thy Father and Mother."

:confused::confused: I guess you can't trust those Catholic Nuns!!!:(

DollaBill
03-18-2010, 05:34 PM

I just used to laugh when my ex wife would get all pissy when the insurance bill went up. She'd yell at me to slow down. Don't know how much insurance is but i guess it goes up considerably

Smarty
03-18-2010, 06:16 PM

Thank you sir...

Perlmudder
03-18-2010, 07:51 PM

But at the same time, I spend alot of time on the roadways. And I live one block in either direction from a school. I basically live in a school zone. So I get to see a pretty fair sized chunk of driving behavior.

So on this topic, I'm torn. I know about the impracticality of having an officer sitting in every school zone and at every busy intersection in the country, all day long. But at the same time, I believe a school speed zone should have every possible measure to ensure safe driving is occuring at all times. And we all realize that many, many severe and often fatal accidents occur in intersections and that many times it's people running red lights. Innocent people obeying the laws are injured and killed every day by motorists who are either negligently or purposefully violating traffic laws in these high-risk areas.

In the end, these cameras should be and most likely are a deterrent. I would think their ability to generate revenue would taper off quickly. I've been driving 35 years now. I've caught on to where the best places for the locals and the Highway Patrol to set up are all located. And I remember them as I drive. I'd think the intersections and school zones would quickly get this reputation. And when that happens, we'd have compliance by deterrence. And in that situation, doesn't everyone win?

In Toronto most intersections have the large metal box that they hold the camera in. Funny thing is, the city doesn't have cameras in all of them, so they rotate them up every couple weeks.

03-18-2010, 11:39 PM
http://www.ontrackcorp.com/toll-free-protector.cfm?id=02

And to Hotrodlincoln, Isn't getting an attorney and defending yourself in court stepping up and being a man? :rolleyes:

That is what you would do in all other legal matters.

A good attorney is expensive and worth it. Remember a ticket in a car can Fubar your boat insurance too. We are already on thin ice there without even doing anything.

And I am not advocating driving recklessly or endangering anyone. :USA:

BY U BOY
03-18-2010, 11:56 PM

There is a dip in the rd on Old Katy rd that goes under a train bridge. The cops sit at the top and radar you coming down on the other side of the bridge. Work is right across the street and we counted almost 50 cars that got ticketed one day.:smash:

Birdog
03-19-2010, 08:49 AM
No. They have "loss prevention" people who do that. They are hiding behind the aisles, mirrors, and cameras. They only call the cops after you have been detained.

That was kinda my point, Cops dont prevent the crimes you mentioned they just clean up after. But they sure focus on preventing speeding these days.

Not really an issue to me but a cops job sure has changed from what it used to be

fund razor
03-19-2010, 10:19 AM
That was kinda my point, Cops dont prevent the crimes you mentioned they just clean up after. But they sure focus on preventing speeding these days.

Not really an issue to me but a cops job sure has changed from what it used to be

Actually, I remember hearing that the Supreme Court ruled that it is an unreasonable expectation that law enforcement officers prevent crime. (ie: protect you during the commission of a crime against you) They ruled that law enforcement is not a preventative, but an investigative initiative.

Maybe speeding is one of the few things that they can prevent.

Birdog
03-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Actually, I remember hearing that the Supreme Court ruled that it is an unreasonable expectation that law enforcement officers prevent crime. (ie: protect you during the commission of a crime against you) They ruled that law enforcement is not a preventative, but an investigative initiative.

Maybe speeding is one of the few things that they can prevent.

I never heard that ruling....Proves the point about having firearms !:)

fund razor
03-19-2010, 03:01 PM
I never heard that ruling....Proves the point about having firearms !:)

Eggzachary. :cheers2:

And in my county.... castle doctrine has been the rule of the day. There have been a half dozen of these defensive shootings in the last two months and they have all been cleared... even two guys shot in the back as they ran. Even when the defending homeowner had 200 pot plants. (He was charged for the pot, not for the killing if the intruder.)

gerritm
03-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Here ya go, this explains it all. Get used to it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/21/hit-brakes-state-governments-raise-traffic-fees/?test=latestnews

Chris
03-22-2010, 09:29 AM
If you're driving 100 on an interstate, you should receive a ticket. There's no excuses.

But there are many situations that are unreasonable.

My kids went with some friends midnight skiing last winter. Started at 10, ended at 3AM. Didn't want them out driving on a Saturday night, so I took them. There's a road that cuts down off the divided highway to the resort. It's a rural area. Speed limit is 45. But, the road goes into a township and drops to 30. Now here it is, 2:30 AM on Saturday night. There are 50 bars within a 5 mile radius that just disgorged all of their die-hards out onto our roadways and there's a sheriff running radar on this little rural road. Do you thing there was any correlation about a slippely little speed drop and a ski resort full of kids closing shortly?

I was speeding. If I'd have fought the ticket, the judge would have still fined me. But wouldn't the public's interests been served better sitting by bars than by a speed trap?

Smarty
03-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Here ya go, this explains it all. Get used to it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/21/hit-brakes-state-governments-raise-traffic-fees/?test=latestnews

That is a great article.

Smarty
03-22-2010, 09:59 AM
If you're driving 100 on an interstate, you should receive a ticket. There's no excuses.

But there are many situations that are unreasonable.

My kids went with some friends midnight skiing last winter. Started at 10, ended at 3AM. Didn't want them out driving on a Saturday night, so I took them. There's a road that cuts down off the divided highway to the resort. It's a rural area. Speed limit is 45. But, the road goes into a township and drops to 30. Now here it is, 2:30 AM on Saturday night. There are 50 bars within a 5 mile radius that just disgorged all of their die-hards out onto our roadways and there's a sheriff running radar on this little rural road. Do you thing there was any correlation about a slippely little speed drop and a ski resort full of kids closing shortly?

I was speeding. If I'd have fought the ticket, the judge would have still fined me. But wouldn't the public's interests been served better sitting by bars than by a speed trap?

The public's interests would have been better served if the officer were/was conducting a DUI/DWI but that takes alot of time: first there is the stop of the car-checking tags and license, field sobriety test, transport to police station, and the breath test at the police station, and all forms-reports. In the same amount of time he may write three to five speeding tickets (potentially), much easier to do, less headache, and easy money for the community (most people plead guilty). And not having to deal with drunks and their drunken personality(s).

When you do fight back-a speeding ticket, you may get a reduced fine, or your speed lowered which mean your point assessment may be lowered (In New Jersey 1-14 mph over the posted limit is a two point offence, 15-29 mph over is a four point offence, 30 mph and above is a five point offence). If you are charged with doing somewhere between 1-4 mph over the limit, I can see why a person woukld just pay the ticket and not fight it. Otherwise, if you can take the time to attend court do so, get a downgrade, or if it is a hefty fine or serious matter spend the $300+ for a lawyer (typical charge for representing a client charged with speeding). You will more than save that amount in the future (auto insurance) if you can reduce the potential points assessed.

VetteLT193
03-22-2010, 11:08 AM

The Governor doesn't make laws... maybe a bit of understanding of the Government would help you.

As far as the ticket goes... you have to pay to play. If you don't want to pay for a ticket or the fines then don't speed. I'm not some stupid 'speed kills' person either. But speed differential is an issue. running well over 30 MPH faster than the surrounding cars that probably are not expecting it is not safe. you just don't know what the other guy is going to do.

Chris
03-22-2010, 11:14 AM
No kidding. I almost died last night. A moment of inattention at 70 and an old man on the interstate, in the dark, with a taillight out, at 40MPH. I can't believe I didn't roll the Ex.

jhenrie
03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
They are putting up cameras here. I think the funny thing is that they don't cost the town to do it !! A private company installs them , maintains them , mails you a ticket , and collects a commision !!!!! I wish I owned a few of them for gas money !!! It's staggering what revenue these things make.

Sorry Gino but can't offer any good advise here. I did at one time have 54 points so I have a bad track record as a kid.

northernoffshore
03-22-2010, 11:35 AM
The Governor doesn't make laws... maybe a bit of understanding of the Government would help you.

As far as the ticket goes... you have to pay to play. If you don't want to pay for a ticket or the fines then don't speed. I'm not some stupid 'speed kills' person either. But speed differential is an issue. running well over 30 MPH faster than the surrounding cars that probably are not expecting it is not safe. you just don't know what the other guy is going to do.

I don't think either understand the law, that's why there is a class action suit against the excessive fines placed on motorcycles and not cars. Discriminatory practices signed into law by charlie, started by the rep. from ft. lauderdale. And your right I don't understand the goverment because 90% of their decisions don't make any sense.

Knot 4 Me
03-22-2010, 11:42 AM

As far as the ticket goes... you have to pay to play. If you don't want to pay for a ticket or the fines then don't speed. I'm not some stupid 'speed kills' person either. But speed differential is an issue. running well over 30 MPH faster than the surrounding cars that probably are not expecting it is not safe. you just don't know what the other guy is going to do.As my son found out the hard way in Feb. The result being the picture I posted earlier in the thread. He was lucky to escape with only 11 staples in his head and some soreness in his knee and shoulder. He has his day in court tomorrow.

Smarty
03-22-2010, 11:50 AM
They are putting up cameras here. I think the funny thing is that they don't cost the town to do it !! A private company installs them , maintains them , mails you a ticket , and collects a commision !!!!! I wish I owned a few of them for gas money !!! It's staggering what revenue these things make.

Sorry Gino but can't offer any good advise here. I did at one time have 54 points so I have a bad track record as a kid.

I wish I had you as a client!!!:) (when you were a kid)