PDA

View Full Version : Any Poker Runs for the underprivileged under 30 crowd ?

LIVE WIRE
03-15-2010, 09:41 PM
The few Poker Runs I've attend I come back home very depressed that I never made anything out of myself and wished I'd payed more attention in school LOL. Seems every boat there is 40' long with 1075's & pair of sixes hanging off the back with TAOD paint jobs.:drool5:

Then I show up like a red headed step child with my 2008 Whippled 496 288 bowrider ( and proud of it). And usually get docked with all the Center Consoles & express cruisers that had to be relocated for the run. Once my lines are situated I sign in . I like seeing all the comradery of the old friends breaking each others balls and walking the docks looking at all the exotic hardware and dreaming maybe someday ???

Then the run starts , I do my best to keep up at first . Sometimes I leave before everyone to get a jump out front to grab some fresh blue water before I get swamped in sea of white foam and bubbles. It feels like I'm in the middle of a game of frogger as 100MPH++ boats blast past me like I'm a bouy. Then it's not long before I'm frantically searching for some reminence of a wake or at least the left over bubbles and fumbleing with the GPS for way points @ 70MPH while holding on for dear life to the 2nd card stop. It's not uncommon for me to follow some other innocent performance boater who has no idea that there is even a poker run happening right to his house or favorite boat lauch. Who then shoots me the " what the hell is the matter with this dude " look as I do some frantic nautical manuver to find my way back to the run.:rofl:

I've also come to realize that very few of the "elite" even make it to the 3rd card stop and usually head right back to the marina to fight over who got to the 2nd card stop first .The 3rd 4th & 5th stops are usually left to us rank & file participants of the run. After the run I'm usually so beat up and wind burnt that I cant get to a mojito fast enough .

Thou some of the above story might be a little exagerated you can probaly get the idea. So my question is this .... Is there any up & coming poker runs preferably in the NY,NJ & CT area that will cater to us the less fortunate and have a poker run for ( 30' and under or 85MPH and under) or at least a division that we can run in this coming poker run season so I dont have to spend my day searching for bubbles.

PS... There was no intention to disrespect the over 30' population or the guy's with the exotic hardware , someday I hope to be there... or to complain about poker runs in general. It was just to give some insight into the trials and tribulations of running a little boat in a poker run.;)

JupiterSunsation
03-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Kevin try a Florida Powerboat run in the winter.......a 32 Sunsation will get lost in the rear of the pack also! But to date I have never broke down at a PR!

Funny thing is a lot of the "hitters" have lost their boats to the repo man in the past few years...... What you see is not always what is going on in reality! S. FL has always been lots of flash, whether or not you have the cash.......

http://www.flpowerboat.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=23

Bahamas run, solid 4ft seas (should have cancelled the run). 55 miles across open ocean, 13 boats left and I was the 3rd to arrive behind a 39 NT pace boat and a 45 Sonic (that cracked the deck on the way over). I wasn't going to be left behind on that day! Bouncing across the tops was a better ride than settling down and taking the beating!

scottw
03-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Check out njppc.com. They are going to have one.

Black Jack Poker Run
28' Boats And Under Sat. Sept 5th

LIVE WIRE
03-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Black Jack Poker Run

Thanks, thats what I'm talking about...

http://njppc.com/2009details.htm
Saturday September 4th 2010 - Black Jack—28’ft and Smaller Poker Run
NEW EVENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This will be our first attempt to host an poker run specifically for smaller boats. We hope this will provide smaller boat owners an opportunity to checkout NJPPC and get the taste and feel of an NJPPC event

MahopacMarine
03-15-2010, 10:40 PM

Black Jack Poker Run

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Kevin,
We will be heading down to this! These guys put on a great run.

Cash Bar
03-15-2010, 10:44 PM
It's not in your area, but Jacksonville in June and Destin in August are great for everyone.

Chris
03-15-2010, 10:44 PM
The club runs are the place to be. You'd fit right in at the NJ, Chesapeake, Lake Erie or many of the other club runs. And you really should consider spending an afternoon and towing to one.

mikey
03-15-2010, 11:21 PM
The few Poker Runs I've attend I come back home very depressed that I never made anything out of myself and wished I'd payed more attention in school. Seems every boat there is 40' long with 1075's & pair of sixes hanging off the back with TAOD paint jobs.

Then I show up like a red headed step child with my 2008 Whippled 496 288 bowrider ( and proud of it). And usually get docked with all the Center Consoles & express cruisers that had to be relocated for the run. Once my lines are situated I sign in . I like seeing all the comradery of the old friends breaking each others balls and walking the docks looking at all the exotic hardware and dreaming maybe someday ???

Then the run starts , I do my best to keep up at first . Sometimes I leave before everyone to get a jump out front to grab some fresh blue water before I get swamped in sea of white foam and bubbles. It feels like I'm in the middle of a game of frogger as 100MPH++ boats blast past me like I'm a bouy. Then it's not long before I'm frantically searching for some reminence of a wake or at least the left over bubbles and fumbleing with the GPS for way points @ 70MPH while holding on for dear life to the 2nd card stop. It's not uncommon for me to follow some other innocent performance boater who has no idea that there is even a poker run happening right to his house or favorite boat lauch. Who then shoots me the " what the hell is the matter with this dude " look as I do some frantic nautical manuver to find my way back to the run.

I've also come to realize that very few of the "elite" even make it to the 3rd card stop and usually head right back to the marina to fight over who got to the 2nd card stop first .The 3rd 4th & 5th stops are usually left to us rank & file participants of the run. After the run I'm usually so beat up and wind burnt that I cant get to a mojito fast enough .

Thou some of the above story might be a little exagerated you can probaly get the idea. So my question is this .... Is there any up & coming poker runs preferably in the NY,NJ & CT area that will cater to us the less fortunate and have a poker run for ( 30' and under or 85MPH and under) or at least a division that we can run in this coming poker run season so I dont have to spend my day searching for bubbles.

PS... There was no intention to disrespect the over 30' population or the guy's with the exotic hardware , someday I hope to be there... or to complain about poker runs in general. It was just to give some insight into the trials and tribulations of running a little boat in a poker run.

Check out www.cbpba.com a lot of our Poker Runs you would fit into very well. We do have some fast boats but we also have a good 50mph group that you would run in with no problem. If you want any info please shoot me a pm and I will help in whatever way I can. Chris and a few others from here on serious did our South Run last year and had a blast. I am trying to get those Mahopac boys to come down as well. Maybe this year:driving:

Sydwayz
03-16-2010, 12:57 AM
Jammin on the James!

July 2010

Richmond, VA

Airpacker
03-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Trailer NORTH!!!!!!!! The Performance Boat Club of Canada has several runs where you would fit right in.
www.performanceboatclub.ca

MarylandMark
03-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Bahamas run, solid 4ft seas (should have cancelled the run).

:rolleyes: Offshore boating at it's best!

A lot of runs in have staggered starts for us slow pokes! Find like-sized boats and stick together. Poker Runs should be fun, shouldn't feel like you were just in a cage match. And ani't nothing wrong with parking with the CC's!

Geronimo36
03-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Kevin,

I agree with your assessment as I've experienced it as well....

First having an old 86' Scarab then an old 95' Apache..... They used to park me in the back away from the top contenders... It got me so infuriated that in one particular instance I had my sister tell the organizer that if I don't get a dock spot close to the action that I'll never do the run again.... That year they rolled out the carpet and even had me do an interview... ;)

I've been poker running since the late 1990's and it wasn't till 05'/06' that things got better for me. I suppose the squeaky wheel gets the grease. For me it seemed, not only was it the age of my boat but also my physical age (I was under 30 yrs). It's supposed to be fun, not a race or a penis size contest (in my opinion). :)

And as far as not finishing, it's my belief that if you don't make all the card stops you shouldn't be allowed to play the game! ;)

PARADOX
03-16-2010, 09:43 AM
The few Poker Runs I've attend I come back home very depressed that I never made anything out of myself and wished I'd payed more attention in school LOL. Seems every boat there is 40' long with 1075's & pair of sixes hanging off the back with TAOD paint jobs.:drool5:

Then the run starts , I do my best to keep up at first . Sometimes I leave before everyone to get a jump out front to grab some fresh blue water before I get swamped in sea of white foam and bubbles. It feels like I'm in the middle of a game of frogger as 100MPH++ boats blast past me like I'm a bouy. Then it's not long before I'm frantically searching for some reminence of a wake or at least the left over bubbles and fumbleing with the GPS for way points @ 70MPH while holding on for dear life to the 2nd card stop. It's not uncommon for me to follow some other innocent performance boater who has no idea that there is even a poker run happening right to his house or favorite boat lauch. Who then shoots me the " what the hell is the matter with this dude " look as I do some frantic nautical manuver to find my way back to the run.:rofl:

PS... There was no intention to disrespect the over 30' population or the guy's with the exotic hardware , someday I hope to be there... or to complain about poker runs in general. It was just to give some insight into the trials and tribulations of running a little boat in a poker run.;)

LW.. LOL not much exeguration here.
No worries, been there.. done that.
My first PR was in a new 26 footer. (eraly 90's) Took a beating trying to stay in the lower middle boys on the Lake Mich. 130+ boats and eventually I and a few others brought up the rear with loose fittings in our teeth. 15+ years later, I am still one of the smallest boats in many events, and while I can stay in the midle of the pack, Poker Runs evolved to more of a shoot out then a casual run. However, I do enjoy the events.
Destin would be the best run for what you are referencing, but the way I look at it... any one having a 125 MPH or + boat not welcoming you as a boater and have a drink with you, they are not worth drinkig with. I do miss the older Poker Runs where most boats ran together for a while and only after lunch they "took off", Due to many of the "profit" runs there is a seperation of boaters. Boats with the bling and speed and boats owned by die hard boaters. Us die hards we go out on the weekends, have fun at a PR, and those with the blings and deep pocket boats you only see them at a Poker Run. Showing off is not the key. Showing up and having a great time IS.

Quinlan
03-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Kevin,

And as far as not finishing, it's my belief that if you don't make all the card stops you shouldn't be allowed to play the game! ;)

Dont tell ME!! Last yr at a run BLEW up a motor didnt make the return time, The wife opened cards HAD winning hand:cuss: $3500.00 down the drain!
O well $30K later biotach is running strong :cheers2:

Life goes on :seeya:

Geronimo36
03-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Life goes on :seeya:

that SUCKS and don't wish it upon anyone...but at the same time, gotta finish to win! :)

I guess my comment is not directed towards those who broke down as much as those who have a race to the first card stop, turn around and head back, picking up the remaining cards at the tent....If they knew they had to FINISH they might conserve a lil bit.:eek::bump:

Poker Runs are sorta like Canon Ball runs. :)

Tom A.
03-16-2010, 10:00 AM
The NJPPC BlackJack run will be great! Also, as stated earlier check out all the NJPPC runs because we have all types and sizes of boats in the runs. When we do the Atlantic City run we have three starts. An Offshore group, an inshore group (self speed limited to 80mph) and a 60mph group. There are always groups to accommodate your needs and also most people group up or pair up to run together. We also regroup at each check point to gather everyone back together.
Believe me, I know how you feel. When I joined the club 10 years ago, I had a 22' Donzi Classic!!!!

DaveP
03-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks, thats what I'm talking about...

http://njppc.com/2009details.htm
Saturday September 4th 2010 - Black Jack—28’ft and Smaller Poker Run
NEW EVENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This will be our first attempt to host an poker run specifically for smaller boats. We hope this will provide smaller boat owners an opportunity to checkout NJPPC and get the taste and feel of an NJPPC event

I'm working on finalizing the details and should have invites available in May!

Tantrum
03-16-2010, 10:12 AM
... It got me so infuriated that in one particular instance I had my sister tell the organizer that if I don't get a dock spot close to the action that I'll never do the run again.... That year they rolled out the carpet and even had me do an interview... ;)

I really hope you are good to your sister at Christmas time ;)

PARADOX
03-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Kevin,

:iagree::iagree::iagree:
Last year at the stormy, rainy Jacks run, we .. (now known as the Crazy Seven) stopped at all the card stops. Soaked, cold, wett boardering on hyperthermia, bones shaking more then a one blade prop... but that's what seperates a true die hard boater from the woosies making a mad dash back to the hotel.
:cheers2:

C_Spray
03-16-2010, 10:27 AM
LiveWire - You absolutely cannot go wrong with the NJPPC BlackJack Run. I'm getting my 28-footer back together just to do that event. Awesome, awesome club.

The Northern Chesapeake Poker Run out of Tome's Landing on the Susquehanna River on June 18th and 19th would be worth a look as well: http://ncbpr.com/

Awaken
03-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Ditto what Mikey said about the CBPBA. They always put on a 1st class run and make accomodations for all types of boats (center consoles, fast, faster and even express cruisers). The first run is for charity "Leukemia Poker Run 6/25-27" .

I can relate to "live wire's" post, I did my first poker run in a Baja 270, after getting beat up a few times in the Chesapeake Bay, I went to a 35' Sonic (with progressively faster engines to try and keep up). Now I have an express cruiser, and can make those mojito's on the run - lol.

Tommy Gun
03-16-2010, 10:47 AM
The Cig 20 Regatta wil be held Sept. 18 at LOTO...mostly Cig 20's and Donzi's.

BDiggity
03-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Support Our Troops Poker Run At loto. Has boats of all sizes & 4 different speed groups. I think 5+ TX'ans came up for it last year.

http://midwestboatparty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24327

masher44
03-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Kevin,

I agree with your assessment as I've experienced it as well....

First having an old 86' Scarab then an old 95' Apache..... They used to park me in the back away from the top contenders... It got me so infuriated that in one particular instance I had my sister tell the organizer that if I don't get a dock spot close to the action that I'll never do the run again.... That year they rolled out the carpet and even had me do an interview... ;)

I've been poker running since the late 1990's and it wasn't till 05'/06' that things got better for me. I suppose the squeaky wheel gets the grease. For me it seemed, not only was it the age of my boat but also my physical age (I was under 30 yrs). It's supposed to be fun, not a race or a penis size contest (in my opinion). :)

cry baby

you would have a blanket party at every run if it wasnt for sis

Sammyb713
03-16-2010, 10:56 AM
LiveWire - You absolutely cannot go wrong with the NJPPC BlackJack Run. I'm getting my 28-footer back together just to do that event. Awesome, awesome club.

The Northern Chesapeake Poker Run out of Tome's Landing on the Susquehanna River on June 18th and 19th would be worth a look as well: http://ncbpr.com/

:iagree:

I am doing this run this year for the first time! A couple of us from Middle River are doing it since its stopping at River Watch, that is right in our river! Its an awesome place!

LiveWire- You should try the Leukimia Poker Run with the CBPBA, very good run, laid back run and short distance stops...

LIVE WIRE
03-16-2010, 11:34 AM
LW.. LOL not much exeguration here.
No worries, been there.. done that.

My first PR was in a new 26 footer. (eraly 90's) Took a beating trying to stay in the lower middle boys on the Lake Mich. 130+ boats and eventually I and a few others brought up the rear with loose fittings in our teeth. 15+ years later, I am still one of the smallest boats in many events, and while I can stay in the midle of the pack, Poker Runs evolved to more of a shoot out then a casual run. However, I do enjoy the events.

Any one having a 125 MPH or + boat not welcoming you as a boater and have a drink with you, they are not worth drinkig with. Showing up and having a great time IS.

I glad you got a laugh at it , Its really was just as a goof to be laughed at. And I enjoy the runs too. I have really havent had any problems with the guys at the runs everyone is just trying to have good time. Bottom line is if the Poker Runs catered a little more to the little guys I think attendance would increase and the event would be better for everyone:sifone:

JerseyOutlaw
03-16-2010, 12:48 PM

I ran the Atlantic City poker run last year in my 05' 25 Baja Outlaw 496HO, had a great time and I am going to run it again this year. Very few people will make you feel the way you feel at these runs, but there are also alot of people, regaurdless of the boat, that will focus on the common interest instead. Dave, the club pres. will make you feel welcome and right at home at any of these events. My wife and I and our 25 Outlaw felt welcome at the AC poker run where you had boats from a Baja 240 Sport to 50' Nortechs. You should be enjoying these event as I do, hey if someone doesn't want to talk to me because I have a 25ft Baja, then I see it as their loss. I'm looking foward to the Black Jack Poker run, it's gonna be great. Stan

Wrinkleface
03-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Hey Live, up at the Boyne Thunder run(July 9-11) the last couple years, we do a 2 stage start! Smaller less fast boats go out 1st & get a start so they don't end up 2 far behind at lunch & all the other going's on!! Other than the rough water the last couple years, think it works pretty good!! Come on up & give us a try!:driving:

Magic Medicine
03-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Too me poker runs are ok, I enjoy meeting and talking to the people more than the actual run itself. We do alot of group runs with Bad Influence Offshore, pic a desination, meet there and see what happens. I guess I perfer the "non-formal" type of boating or just taking my family to the beach! A day of boating with my son is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geronimo36
03-16-2010, 02:09 PM
cry baby

you would have a blanket party at every run if it wasnt for sis

You don't even have a boat my brother....:kiss:
Just ask Stecz how I pointed out to the interviewer how he didn't have a boat either, when I pointed to the empty slip next to me while he was bustin my ballz in the background of my interview... It truely was a classic!:cheers2:

Plus, when crowd consists of guys like you and Stecz, I'd rather make new friends!:bump:

MahopacMarine
03-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Check out www.cbpba.com a lot of our Poker Runs you would fit into very well. We do have some fast boats but we also have a good 50mph group that you would run in with no problem. If you want any info please shoot me a pm and I will help in whatever way I can. Chris and a few others from here on serious did our South Run last year and had a blast. I am trying to get those Mahopac boys to come down as well. Maybe this year:driving:

You have my word. I will be down:cheers2:

GENERAL LEE
03-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Don't feel bad man, I used to get dusted myself in my 38 TS Top Gun! Haha, the key is to have a few buddies to cruise the run with. I do that in the Skater as well, since I prefer to fill it with gas, and run it as much as possible if I'm going to the trouble to get it there.

I'm still not even close to the fastest, but that isn't my goal. I like being able to cruise at 100mph, without pushing my equipment too hard, and without scaring the hell out of my passengers, so that's why I got a cat. If the sole intention is to be the first to the card stop, or just do the first card stop & return, it just doesn't seem worth the time & effort to bring the boat for me since we don't live close to most of the good runs.

You should be having fun with whatever you brought, even if you're not docked up front, or in the top 5 to the first stop. Just bring a fun crew with you, and enjoy the run however you like, then you won't be disappointed. :cheers2:

mikey
03-16-2010, 03:01 PM
You have my word. I will be down:cheers2:

Ok you got a deal just bring some boats with you!!!!!!!:driving:

Chris
03-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Last one to the stop gets to leave when he wants. Everyone on the inside waits.

LIVE WIRE
03-16-2010, 03:40 PM
You should be having fun with whatever you brought, even if you're not docked up front, or in the top 5 to the first stop. Just bring a fun crew with you, and enjoy the run however you like, then you won't be disappointed. :cheers2:

We have always have a great time and always have some good friends along for the ride. I actually prefer parking behind the dumpsters , this way its easier to get out first ;). It never about having the badest boat or being first to the card stop its all about the ride.

Me and my little engine that could at the 08 NYC run approaching the Tap. 3 hours at WOT.

Geronimo36
03-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Just bring a fun crew with you, and enjoy the run however you like, then you won't be disappointed. :cheers2:

I agree! My crew is what makes all the events a good time!!!

We have always have a great time and always have some good friends along for the ride.

Me and my little engine that could at the 08 NYC run approaching the Tap. 3 hours at WOT.

I think that's what it's all about!! Look forward to seeing you this summer! :cheers2:

PS, thanks for helping us find the card stop that year!:eek::sifone:
MiD5XhPW5XE

MahopacMarine
03-16-2010, 08:35 PM
We have always have a great time and always have some good friends along for the ride. I actually prefer parking behind the dumpsters , this way its easier to get out first ;). It never about having the badest boat or being first to the card stop its all about the ride.

That's a great picture Kevin.
Just think about it, 3 hours at WOT on a stock bottom end with a Whipple. Nice

Expensive Date
03-16-2010, 08:48 PM
29 Formula never felt on the outside at any NJPPC event have done the AC run twice.One ran the offshore route and held my own.Can't do it this year but will do the under 30 run.Do the Hudson run great time.

hotjava66
03-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Hey Live, up at the Boyne Thunder run(July 9-11) the last couple years, we do a 2 stage start! Smaller less fast boats go out 1st & get a start so they don't end up 2 far behind at lunch & all the other going's on!! Other than the rough water the last couple years, think it works pretty good!! Come on up & give us a try!:driving:

1st stagers get a discount rate? If so im in LOL

Wrinkleface
03-16-2010, 10:50 PM
1st stagers get a discount rate? If so im in LOL

C if George over there 2 the left can negotiate that 4 ya!!!!!:biggrinjester:

.38Special
03-17-2010, 06:40 AM
C if George over there 2 the left can negotiate that 4 ya!!!!!:biggrinjester:

Tracey, I like this idea:)

Live Wire. I talked to the Poker Runs America guys and they tell me that their New Jersey poker run has a 50mph class. That would be a fun run to go on. Out to the Statue of Liberty and back to Trump Marina.

Geronimo36
03-17-2010, 09:16 AM

Live Wire. I talked to the Poker Runs America guys and they tell me that their New Jersey poker run has a 50mph class. That would be a fun run to go on. Out to the Statue of Liberty and back to Trump Marina.

I've never heard of this one, is it new? That's quite a long run, roughly 100 miles each way I'd guess! :driving:

DaveP
03-17-2010, 10:46 AM

And when are they planning this for? :rofl:

htrdlncn
03-17-2010, 11:19 AM
All our LTPA.net runs here welcome everyone from 150mph 40+ ft cats to my lil ole 65mph 21 ft Chappy ,they are more about fun than run.
Not everyone likes that either, we have guys coming from
other places to run here that ***** about how they dont
like our runs because its not all 100mph 100K boats.
I am frankly suprised that poker runs have evolved to the point were
most are faster and as dangerous as all out races yet many are held on enclosed public
waters (lakes) with no safety/governing body like a real race has.
Its only a matter of time before public pressure or a big accident will
make it impossible to insure these events.

GENERAL LEE
03-17-2010, 11:45 AM
I agree! My crew is what makes all the events a good time!!!

:cheers2:

The crew in your boat is who you will be spending the majority of your time with, so you better make it a fun group or you can be in for a long weekend :ack2:

Big Time
03-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Am I the only one that thought he was talking about age? I still have a couple of months before I am no longer in my 20's so maybe it is on my mind!!

I am really interested in the NJPPC 28 and under PR in Sept., sounds like it could be a great time!

BillR
03-17-2010, 01:48 PM

I know what you mean exactly! The best kept secrets in Poker Runs (Jacksonville, Jammin on the James to name two) have now gone mains stream and the heavy hitters show up.

Want to come a bit further south? Come to Norfolk Va for the American Cancer Society's Powerboating for a Cure poker run.
It is one of those well kept secrets, but probably one of the fastest growing poker runs in the country now. You will fit in just fine and will made to feel VERY welcome and appreciated. In our poker run; it's all about the partys and socializing. Folks with every kind of boat are in attendance.
Here is the thread from last year - check it out:
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7381

I will be starting a new thread any day now and we are also on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/Powerboatingforacure?ref=ts

PM me for more info

Caincando1
03-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Interesting read! I guess we are blessed. We have a perfect combination of boat size and water size. Our average boat length is 31 feet. We have enough open water to let the big fast boats cut loose for a while. But it’s not too big that the conditions get to rough for the smaller boats. The course layout keeps a lot of the boats together so everyone get to enjoy the eye candy and camaraderie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC-DFZ-YLc8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xym6C3CX5qA

LIVE WIRE
03-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Interesting read! I guess we are blessed. We have a perfect combination of boat size and water size. Our average boat length is 31 feet. We have enough open water to let the big fast boats cut loose for a while. But it’s not too big that the conditions get to rough for the smaller boats. The course layout keeps a lot of the boats together so everyone get to enjoy the eye candy and camaraderie.

Great Vid's ...thanks for sharing . Maybe I just have to move :rolleyes:

Five Cent Worth
03-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Am I the only one that thought he was talking about age? I still have a couple of months before I am no longer in my 20's so maybe it is on my mind!!

I am really interested in the NJPPC 28 and under PR in Sept., sounds like it could be a great time!

:iagree: Me too. I am a check on this page twice - under 30 from both aspects as well.

I can honestly never done a run as I was always under the impression that I wouldn't be able to keep up (25' Baja topping out at a blistering 64).

.38Special
03-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Live Wire. I talked to the Poker Runs America guys and they tell me that their New Jersey poker run has a 50mph class. That would be a fun run to go on. Out to the Statue of Liberty and back to Trump Marina.[/QUOTE]

Hey guys, I meant the NJPPC Atlantic City Poker Run on June 25th. Maybe I got the card stops mixed up, but I know he told me they have a class for the slower boats. Sounds fun either way:)

Seafordguy
03-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Jammin on the James and the one BillR posted are not ego runs at all - lots of cool guys, lots of hardware from 25-40 feet, people run all the stops, and a nice combination of small water and the potential for a little big water.

Don't worry about running fast, or getting there in front of anyone.

I can honestly say that I believe I have finished dead last in all the poker runs I have ever done, but knock on wood I have never had to repair anything as a result - that's whats important to me.

OH - and no biased docking. I was sandwiched inbetween a 26 SeaRay cuddy cabin last year and a one of 2 Commemrative Edition CIG TOPGUN.

DaveP
03-19-2010, 09:35 AM
I meant the PRA Atlantic City Run. Maybe I got the card stops mixed up, but I know he told me they have a class for the slower boats. Sounds fun either way:)

What you REALLY mean is the NJPPC Atlantic City Poker Run on June 25th that has a 60mph group :sifone:

JerseyOutlaw
03-19-2010, 11:00 AM
What you REALLY mean is the NJPPC Atlantic City Poker Run on June 25th that has a 60mph group :sifone:

my peeps!!:kiss:

Tom A.
03-19-2010, 11:33 AM

If PRA messes with Jersey.....:leaving::sifone:

DaveP
03-19-2010, 12:12 PM
If PRA messes with Jersey.....:leaving::sifone:

We've got the Sopranos beat by 150 cast members ;)

SHARKEY-IMAGES
03-19-2010, 12:59 PM
I ran the Atlantic City poker run last year in my 05' 25 Baja Outlaw 496HO, had a great time and I am going to run it again this year. Very few people will make you feel the way you feel at these runs, but there are also alot of people, regaurdless of the boat, that will focus on the common interest instead. Dave, the club pres. will make you feel welcome and right at home at any of these events. My wife and I and our 25 Outlaw felt welcome at the AC poker run where you had boats from a Baja 240 Sport to 50' Nortechs. You should be enjoying these event as I do, hey if someone doesn't want to talk to me because I have a 25ft Baja, then I see it as their loss. I'm looking foward to the Black Jack Poker run, it's gonna be great. Stan

Stan,

I couldn't agree more.
Here is how I started Poker Running and was welcomed by everyone. Even though I did leave a few boats behind at the Barnegat Inlet and proceeded to the Manasquan....:sifone:
Running outside was great !
I only wish there was someone then out there to get pics...
With that small of a boat they would have needed a mighty large lens... :eek:

DaveP and the rest of the NJPPC thank you for not turning me away the day I signed up for the club.

Who would have ever thought it would bring me to where I am today....:cheers2:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p545178709.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p834229364.jpg

JerseyOutlaw
03-19-2010, 02:35 PM
How about my wife and I hanging with Bob Teague at last years A.C. Poker Run, that'll make ya feel welcome!!!!:cheers2:

Oh and Flava Dave too:rofl::rofl:

Team Tsunami
03-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Kevin,

We are doing a run in CT this summer with the NPBA and all boats of all sizes are welcome! It's based out of Old Saybrook. There is always a ton of under 30 boats at Billy's runs and they always have a good time! See you at the Mahopac spring run,

www.nationalpowerboat.com

Dan

LIVE WIRE
03-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Kevin,

We are doing a run in CT this summer with the NPBA and all boats of all sizes are welcome! It's based out of Old Saybrook. There is always a ton of under 30 boats at Billy's runs and they always have a good time! See you at the Mahopac spring run,

www.nationalpowerboat.com

Dan

Thanks Dan ,

That run looks great, and lauching out Old Saybrook is my favorite boating area. Between this Run and the NJ Black Jack run my wishes have been answered.

So right now its looking to be a good summer. I'm looking at doing Mahopacs runs (spring & fall) , Sunsation Rally , I'll take my yearly beating at the NYC run , The NPBA run & NJ Black Jack then maybe end the season reality check at the Glen Cove run in LI just so my head doesnt get to big:sifone:

DaveP
08-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Invite with all details is available on www.njppc.com

Date:
Friday September 3rd 2010
Saturday September 4th, 2010

Purse:
$20.00 (included in entry fee) x the number of boats participating
40 boats x $20.00 = $800 Total
$500 1st Place, $200 2nd Place, $100 3rd Place

Boats:
40 BOATS MAXIMUM
(First Come – First Serve basis REGISTER EARLY!)

Lobster Shanty, Toms River NJ

ENTRY FEE: $140.00
Includes:
1 Boat Entry which includes 2 People
2 People for a Pizza & Beer Party
2 People for Saturday Brunch
2 Poker Hands
2010 & 2011 NJPPC Membership

Big Time
08-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Going to see if I can swing this one...

WATCHUS