PDA

View Full Version : Deep Cycle Boat Battery

Blue Oval
03-13-2010, 03:13 PM
I have 10 year old Duralasts in my 29 PQ, never had a problem. I know to replace them this year, running on borrowed time. Local Car Quest priced there battery to replace them, built by Interstate, not a real fan of the Interstate battery. 800amp,110ca, any suggestions.

Uncle Dave
03-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Odyssey AGM batteries or an equivalent AGM.

I prefer regular lead acids (interstate, sears etc.) to optimas (gel)

I have-just had really bad luck with all color optimas.

I like AGM types the best of the three.

UD

Chris
03-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Odyssey makes a good battery. I have also had bad luck with the Optima in marine applications. In our trucks they've performed well.

DollaBill
03-13-2010, 04:07 PM
regulare batt's get changed every year. Gels every 2 years. I don't care how perfect they are.

MarylandMark
03-13-2010, 04:25 PM
I had quite a few issues with my Optimas the last 3 years. I had a faulty alternator on one motor so that may have been part of it but I kept them on a regulated battery charger most of the time.

Going on my 4th season- 1st issue and replacing all 4 of them. They are fancy looking with the blue tops!

Blue Oval
03-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Beer drinking buddy told me to put one deep cycle in, and a standard marine battery for cranking. I have had two deep cycles for 10 years, that one threw me for a loop.

JupiterSunsation
03-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Had an Optima go bad in 11 months on a Whaler (previous owner bought it). They replaced it under warranty but they shipped me the battery, couldn't return it through a local store. It literally runs the boat motor and nav. lights, no other options on the boat. I would never pay $200-300 for a battery no matter what the virtues are!

MarylandMark
03-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Beer drinking buddy told me to put one deep cycle in, and a standard marine battery for cranking. I have had two deep cycles for 10 years, that one threw me for a loop.

From Merc Racing:

Should my boat be rigged with a starting or a deep cycle battery, and why?

There is a difference between an ordinary starting battery and a Deep-Cycle battery. Starting requires a high amount of energy for a short period of time (about 30 seconds maximum). Only a small amount of the battery's capacity is used. Once the engine starts running, the battery is recharged quickly by the charging system.

A Deep-Cycle battery supplies a relatively low amount of current for a long duration. Deep-Cycle batteries, unlike starting batteries, can be run down and recharged repeatedly with minimum loss of capacity. Deep-Cycle batteries are designed to power electric fishing motors, and other electrical accessories in boats and recreational vehicles such as radios, TVs, fans, etc.

Since starting batteries and Deep-Cycle batteries are designed for different purposes, they are constructed differently inside. Starting batteries have porous active material. The plates are thin and are designed so the high-amp energy can be quickly delivered for maximum starting power. Repeated cycling, which involves lower capacity drains and recharges, weakens the positive plate. The active material drops from the grid, thus, in repeated deep discharge/recharge applications, the capacity of the starting battery drops below desired levels in about 50 cycles.

The Deep-Cycle battery has a denser active material and thicker plates to withstand deep discharge/re-charge service.

That being said- most marine batteries these days are dual purpose starting and deep cycle.

Trim'd Up
03-13-2010, 06:52 PM
I have had terrible luck with optimas in boats and jeeps. I wouldn't trade a cheap wally world max start for an optima.

TCEd
03-13-2010, 07:03 PM
I've had excellent service with the Cosco batteries; Kirkland brand.

MarylandMark
03-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Ut-o...

After bad mouthing Optima for a while, I found out I have Optima 34M's which are start batteries, not deep cycle. I had someone check them out for me but never did so on my own. This was the 1st year I ever had them taken out, since new 3 years ago I left them in the boat all Winter with the charger pulled in most of the time (charger regulates charge, not an old style overcharger).

I may or may not have had an alternator go bad because of this, apparently that is one of the things having the wrong batteries does.

Just ordered 4 Sears Platinum PM-2 34M's. These 34M's meet Mercurys standards, the Optima 34M's do NOT, only the 31M's do.

Blue Oval
03-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the info, I will roll the dice and see what happens

Wrinkleface
03-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the info, I will roll the dice and see what happens

Where, at Odawa?????:leaving:

MarylandMark
03-18-2010, 09:25 AM
FYI-

Sears is having a "Friends & Family" event this Sunday.

$199 reg price, on sale for $189, then 10% off and then another 10% off or some thing along those lines. $650ish for 4 of them or about $200 savings. Buy 3, get one free!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850134000P?sid=comm_sears_reviews

Knot 4 Me
03-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Interstate XHD-24 marine cranking. 800 CCA/1000 MCA. Just bought 2 for $170 out the door. My last set lasted 5 seasons and are still strong but I'm not taking a chance for under $200. I would not mix starting and deep cycle if the only charging source is the alternator. If you need deep cycles for a big stereo, etc., isolate it with its own charger.

mustang
03-18-2010, 03:00 PM
I would go with the Sam's Club or Walmart batteries. My girlfriend used to work for Johnson Controls in their battery division. From the same plant they would make batteries for Walmart, DieHard and Interstate. She said the only real difference was the label. They were all filled from the same acid tank.

phragle
03-18-2010, 03:45 PM
West Marines batteries..don't know nationally, but locally they buy Penn batteries from battery wholesale, then slap their sticker on them and double the price.

rchevelle71
03-18-2010, 04:57 PM
I would go with the Sam's Club or Walmart batteries. My girlfriend used to work for Johnson Controls in their battery division. From the same plant they would make batteries for Walmart, DieHard and Interstate. She said the only real difference was the label. They were all filled from the same acid tank.

I agree, I proudly run Wal-mart batteries in everything I own:sifone:

phragle
03-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Wally world does have some decent batteries, don't know about the marine ones but their yellow extreme duty auto ones really impressed me.

Blue Oval
03-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Tried a couple Motocraft 880 Dual purpose Marine Deep Cyle Batteries, will let you know how they work out!

Big Time
05-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Is there really a difference between a marine and auto battery? I'm looking to replace one of mine. What should I look for? Do I need to worry about anything if I get a auto battery? What should I lok for...the above confuses me!

Big Time
05-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Also, shouldn't this be on the dock? We are talking about boat batteries.

Divenstar
05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
regulare batt's get changed every year. Gels every 2 years. I don't care how perfect they are.

I 2nd that!!! Better safe than sorry....

Or... better to have and not need...Than to need and not have...

Divenstar

htrdlncn
05-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Freind of mine let me know about sale at Academy Sports a few years ago, marine dual purpose 750cc batts for $79 each AND a 20% rebate if you bought 2 of them.
Bought 4, 3 for boat,1 for ATV. All still working great. On boat I have one that is not connected to anything but starter and sepearte on/off switch. It never gets turned on unless I kill the other two batteries. Can run stereo,dvd,light etc 10-12hours and start up with no fear.
:)

HabanaJoe
05-17-2010, 04:50 PM
I just changed my Interstates this year after 9 seasons and they are never trickled or kept warm in the winter, just let set and they always held a charge till spring. Changed them this year because one was swolen but still started the boat just fine so i changed all 3 to be safe.

Big Time
05-17-2010, 05:35 PM
I just changed my Interstates this year after 9 seasons and they are never trickled or kept warm in the winter, just let set and they always held a charge till spring. Changed them this year because one was swolen but still started the boat just fine so i changed all 3 to be safe.

Did you get them at an auto parts store?

I just don't want to pay $160 for something like the below if I don't have to.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=130143&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10109&subdeptNum=10548&classNum=10549

HabanaJoe
05-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Big Time - I don't know I just asked our in-house parts guys to get them and he found them?

JoeD
05-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Twin Walmart auto batterys ---change them out every 2-3 years

Big Time
05-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks guys! I've had my batteries in the boat since I got it, so would rather be on the safe side and switch them out at the start of the season. Just want to make sure I am not spending money on something I don't need.

drpete3
05-18-2010, 02:14 PM
changed mine theis weekend and just got Die Hards deep cycle. If i get a few years...it will be longer than i own this boat

Chris
05-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Deep cycle batteries are made to supply a slow and sterady supply of current and are engineered to be drawn down and recharged over and over again. Cranking batteries are made to deliver high levels of current at a sustained voltage over brief time periods- like cranking an engine. They're typically intolerant of repeated discharge.

If your engines start with deep cycles, you're OK. But big inch engines that are either stone cold or nice and hot and have alot of initial timing can be very difficult to start. The deep cycle may not always do the job. And with a charging system there's no reason to have them on a boat unless the use is a house battery for lights and stereo.

rschap1
05-19-2010, 01:20 PM
I have had pretty good luck with DieHard combo marines. I got one that is over 10 years old also. It now resides on my floating dock powering a 12v pump for a pool slide. it has a lil' solar charger. Got a new one last year at Kmart since they sell DieHard for $65 bucks or so. This one and another 5-6 year old DieHard (group 24s) replaced a set of Exide Orbital. I had always thought those were Optimas because they were made to look so close. Those were about 6 years old and came with the boat when I got it. I wasn't upset by those either. My jetskis though...I still have yet to find anything that does well for more than a season. I think once I had an Interstate make it towards the end of a second summer, lead acid type. Ran an Odyseey for a season and a half in my 750sxi. Now with two 550sx's I have tried some cheaper AGMs. MegaPower or something like that. Saw them at NAPA and Autozone. Found them a lil' cheaper at local grocery Meijer store. Now I gotta figure out what is draining one of them. Anyone know a good source for jetski info, old school type? I have posted on Green Hulk, PWCtoday, and X-H2O w/o much response. I cant figure out what would drain with a simple ignition set up like that...THANKS and good luck with the batteries since summer is finally here!

Chris
05-19-2010, 01:26 PM
I had the same problem with jetski batteries. If they survived the summer they didn't make the winter. I even pulled them and brought them inside. Same for the motorcycle batteries. Funny thing is I get 4 or 5 years out of the $35 tractor battery that sits ignored in the barn for 8 months of the year.