PDA

View Full Version : MAKO center console???

t500hps
03-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Anyone know much about the newer ones? I'm shopping for a 20-21 ft CC and remember these were brick chit-houses back in the day but have read a few things suggesting the newer (brunswick) Mako's are not what they once were. Any input? I've found a 2005 of interest.

Ted
03-12-2010, 10:26 AM
A friend of mine has a 17 that is fairly new and it is a great boat. They do use quality hardware and are a little more pricey than some of the others out there, They are also a little heavier than the other boats in their class, so a bigger engine is a good idea. You will love the ease of CC boating compared to running a performance boat, trust me.

Woody
03-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Heard they went through a period of poor construction. Do not know when but you should do plenty or research. Remember reading about delam and transom problems. The old ones were always one of my favorites but didn't follow them much after the problem years.

rainmn
03-12-2010, 11:11 AM
I bought a used 22' center console last year, and looked at a ton of them. A few were newer Makos, and while I didn't buy one, they seemed to still be of pretty high quality compared to some of the other boats I looked at.

My biggest issue was finding a boat like that which hadn't already been fished to death. Most of what I looked at was pretty well trashed cosmetically. I don't really fish much, so that was a big issue for me.

I ended up buying a Sea Pro, which I love. As Ted said, it doesn't get much easier to take care of.

TCEd
03-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Go to Classismako.com for everything you need to know.
ed

Megabyte*3
03-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Makos are not made by Brunswick. The Mako name and molds are owned by Tracker Marine, the maker of Tracker pontoons and Tahoe boats, wholly owned by Bass Pro shops. So, if you consider Bass Pro Shops to be the Wal-Mart of outdoors, consider whether or not you want your boat made by the same folks.

Just to be upfront about it; I am biased. I have also sold quite a few Makos that we took in trade.

MarylandMark
03-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Find the layout you want, then go for the deal- most of them in that size/price/style/function are about the same. Name doesn't mean much for this kind of boat IMHO- every thing is replaceable and easy to get to.

DollaBill
03-12-2010, 02:12 PM
The old ones were/are tanks. The new ones are badged bayliners.

northernoffshore
03-12-2010, 03:55 PM
everglades

Cigdude
03-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Kencraft

BUIZILLA
03-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Sea Hunt

t500hps
03-13-2010, 12:56 AM
I appreciate the suggestions. If I buy new I've locked into a sea hunt 210 Ultra. Rear bench seat, porta-potti, and t-top......mid-level boat but great value for the money. My wife really liked a 2005 21 Mako. I remember them being great but reading they aren't all that anymore.

Important items:

Rear seating, family of 5 with kids friends coming along
Porta-potti in console
t-tops much preferred
20-21 ft (smaller the better but with the above requirements)
stout trailer for the boat
expect very little fishing

Macklin
03-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Perfect size for that. I have fond memories of my 21 Wahoo with Yammi 225. Used to put six folks on board with just about every water toy that was available at the time. We even put a jet ski in tow on occassion. What a fun boat!

Been thinking about getting another one. A fast one with a T top...and rocket launchers. :eek:

I might even get back into fishing, which I did so much of as a kid. :)

BUIZILLA
03-13-2010, 09:47 AM
I bought a used 212 Sea Hunt '05 off ebay with a 200 Yammi OX66 2 stroke last year for this engine and it's AWESOME, had 52 hours, has 60 now, runs 51-52 full fuel once I played with it, picked up 6 mph raising the engine 2 holes and using a Turbo 1 prop.. I've owned a LOT of boats but this is sooooo easy and fun I really like it.... this boat line has a LOT of value and quality for the $$ bucks, everything your looking for.. just put all new upgraded canvas on it yesterday and took off the t-top due to skin cancer issues... nice freeboard... I almost bought a 2004 Hydrasports bayboat with a 250 Yammi but I hate older 4 strokes, nice wide beam on that one too.... seriously, check out the Sea Hunt line, 210-212-220.. i've actually been thinking about getting a new(er) 232 with a 300, I saw a new black/white one yesterday and went ga-ga.. there is a real nice 23 Wellcraft CC with a Verado on ebay right now, ultra clean..

BillR
03-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Ditto - 'cept for the fishing part.

Need to find one that is around 32' and will run mid 70's with twins.
Who makes it?

MarylandMark
03-13-2010, 12:11 PM
30 Concept w/300 Verados ran 77.2MPH during radar run on the Chesapeake Bay last year.

My 326 w/300XS's has been almost 73 but in real world conditions- always 2/3-full fuel, gear, stuff, coolers, etc- it i more like 68. Add 5 more people and I'm at 65ish.

I need a sub 36' overall including motors that runs a solid 70MPH with 6 and gear on board without trips.

Elvisali has a new Superboat 30CC with 250's I'm dying to hear numbers on. Most are guessing between 75-85MPH.

Macklin
03-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Need to find one that is around 32' and will run mid 70's with twins.
Who makes it?

Jeez dude. You just got back from riding on several in Miami. Guess you didn't find Nervana...:smash:

BillR
03-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Jeez dude. You just got back from riding on several in Miami. Guess you didn't find Nervana...:smash:

Nope.
The Donzi Billy at Harbour Marine has is nice, the price is a steal; but I need to ride some more. Want to ride a Concept, Fountain . . . . . not sure what else. I am NOT going to spend a ton of $$$ on the new boat either. Just want a fun - easy to care for toy.

BillR
03-14-2010, 09:24 AM
I need a sub 36' overall including motors that runs a solid 70MPH with 6 and gear on board without trips.

Me too!!!

Macklin
03-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Nope.
The Donzi Billy at Harbour Marine has is nice, the price is a steal; but I need to ride some more. Want to ride a Concept, Fountain . . . . . not sure what else. I am NOT going to spend a ton of $$$ on the new boat either. Just want a fun - easy to care for toy.

Well, you better freakin call me next time you do go for a ride! :driving:

whataworld51
03-14-2010, 11:13 AM
The old ones are great. The new ones are suspect.

Cigdude
03-14-2010, 11:26 AM
i walked up to one at bass pro and gave it a smack in the side. Sounded pretty cheap to me.

BillR
03-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Well, you better freakin call me next time you do go for a ride! :driving:

I TRIED!! You were next door and never stopped by!! Next time I'll hold a gun to your head. I plan to get him to take me out when it warms up.

You should list your boat, It will take time to sell a nice boat with good value.

fstboatlvr
03-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Russ, I'd steer clear of the late model makos. As stated above, they are the bayliners of the center console market. In looking at your requirements, I'd look at a 20-22ft proline. They have rear seating, front pad for the ladies and kiddies, and run decent for what they are. I'm not saying they are the best built boats, but they are a ton of boat for the money. I just bought a 99 200sport, t-top, 150merc with less than 200hrs for $7500. It runs 44mph and is a dry ride for the size. I work with magicfloat, so feel free to call if I can help out. I've had 7 prolines in the last three years as my personal/take to the beach boats. I've done lots of upgrades to all of them, so am very familiar with the boats. They also sell really well when it's time to move up. Every one I have had sold the first day it was listed and they were not priced cheap.

t500hps
03-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Russ, I'd steer clear of the late model makos. As stated above, they are the bayliners of the center console market. In looking at your requirements, I'd look at a 20-22ft proline. They have rear seating, front pad for the ladies and kiddies, and run decent for what they are. I'm not saying they are the best built boats, but they are a ton of boat for the money. I just bought a 99 200sport, t-top, 150merc with less than 200hrs for $7500. It runs 44mph and is a dry ride for the size. I work with magicfloat, so feel free to call if I can help out. I've had 7 prolines in the last three years as my personal/take to the beach boats. I've done lots of upgrades to all of them, so am very familiar with the boats. They also sell really well when it's time to move up. Every one I have had sold the first day it was listed and they were not priced cheap.

Thanks, I'll look them over. You apparently know I've dealt with Robert and I hope he is doing well (what a first class gentleman!). I've checked his website several times the last few months thinking he might have somehting that interests me....tell him I said hello.

t500hps
03-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Right now a new Sea hunt 210 is in the lead....6 yr yamaha warranty helps!

I like the layout of the Mako 212 but build quality??? Cobia Sea Pro, and Polar appparently make a similar layouts. Searching is loosing it's appeal!!! Apparently shopping while boatless is much more stressful!!!! :)

fstboatlvr
03-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks, I'll look them over. You apparently know I've dealt with Robert and I hope he is doing well (what a first class gentleman!). I've checked his website several times the last few months thinking he might have somehting that interests me....tell him I said hello.

Robert is fine. He is a good business man but more importantly just a good man period. I grew up kind of under his wing and have been working for him for over 20yrs, and I'm the newest employee! That should tell you something. I did most of the set-up on your 382, and actually have talked to you on the phone a few times in the past when Robert was not around.
I didn't realize from reading your other posts that you were looking for a new boat (hence I suggested the slightly older prolines). Can't go wrong with any of the boats you mentioned above. If memory serves, the 6yr yammie warranty runs out at the end of this month, so keep that in mind. We sell quite a few on pontoons and are trying to close deals by the end of the month in order to get the extra warranty. Take care...........Dano

t500hps
03-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Robert is fine. He is a good business man but more importantly just a good man period. I grew up kind of under his wing and have been working for him for over 20yrs, and I'm the newest employee! That should tell you something. I did most of the set-up on your 382, and actually have talked to you on the phone a few times in the past when Robert was not around.
I didn't realize from reading your other posts that you were looking for a new boat (hence I suggested the slightly older prolines). Can't go wrong with any of the boats you mentioned above. If memory serves, the 6yr yammie warranty runs out at the end of this month, so keep that in mind. We sell quite a few on pontoons and are trying to close deals by the end of the month in order to get the extra warranty. Take care...........Dano

the Dano name I remember!!! That 382 was awesome, hope you saw some of the alterations I did to it (new dash, added microwave, new motors, cockpit mods for speakers, etc).
I actually prefer used CC's but can't seem to find anything I like that isn't well above "retail"....and I'm a cheap bastard!!!! :) I did come across a Scout that I like but it's 4 years old and cost what the new Sea Hunt sells for (different boats I know but still). a buddy went me a link for a Sea Pro that is priced OK (if they'll drop 10-15%) but it's 6 years old and not a perfect fit for my needs.