PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive(CHEAP) seats??

rchevelle71
03-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Since I am re doing my transom, and probably re configuring the cockpit, I am considering changing the seating in the Pantera. Custom seating is out of the question due to $$$. I have been considering adding 4 or 5 race style seats, either 2 in front, and 3 in the back or 2 and 2. I know the race guys like Sparco, but they are pricey, what do you guys think of these, made by the same company as Scat Cranks. I can get them for $119 each plus shipping.

http://www.procarbyscat.com/Products_ProSports.asp

Caincando1
03-10-2010, 04:10 PM
They look great, just make sure all your passengers are skinny.:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Are they waterproof?

rchevelle71
03-10-2010, 04:18 PM
They look great, just make sure all your passengers are skinny.:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Are they waterproof?

They cant be as tight as the seats in ther now:eek: Not sure on waterproof, I have an e-mail into the company to see if they offer them in vinyl also, or should I just sport the velour bling:rolleyes:

phragle
03-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Is it a true suspension seat or a bucket with a cover??

TIKI
03-10-2010, 04:22 PM
IMO "race" seats look goofy in a boat, unless it's a race/canopy boat.

Knot 4 Me
03-10-2010, 04:25 PM
There is a guy a know sporting bar stools for seats in his Mark Twain. You cannot make this stuff up. I agree with TIKI, not a fan of those types of seats unless it is a canopied race boat.

rchevelle71
03-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Is it a true suspension seat or a bucket with a cover??

It is probably just a bucket, this is on their site, and doesnt specify,but somehow I dont believe it applies to this seat.

http://www.procarbyscat.com/Anatomy.asp

rchevelle71
03-10-2010, 04:32 PM
IMO "race" seats look goofy in a boat, unless it's a race/canopy boat.

I agree....................somewhat, but ya cant beat the price for new seats??

rchevelle71
03-10-2010, 04:33 PM
There is a guy a know sporting bar stools for seats in his Mark Twain. You cannot make this stuff up. I agree with TIKI, not a fan of those types of seats unless it is a canopied race boat.

Good idea for a fishin boat, or cruiser, but not in a 24x7 with low freeboard:eek:

phragle
03-10-2010, 04:38 PM
I have used beard and mastercraft before..not in boats, but the same type of violent environment... my butt liked them both.

McGary911
03-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Any idea what the frames are made of? Or even if they have frames, or are just molded plastic?

And the description says "macimum support"? Guess that's code for maximum?

phragle
03-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I would also want to get a good look and sit in some before I bought... Some of the cheaper seats skimp on things like decent frame painting etc... since its a boat...you really dont want the metal frame rusting if the paint /powdercoat isn't up to par... Scat is a decent compnay, but they aren't above having them made in china either...

baldtires
03-10-2010, 05:17 PM
i have been thinking of doing the same thing for my 24/7. i think something like that would work great.

Chris
03-10-2010, 05:18 PM
In a sit-down 24, you're probably going to want something with a bit more padding. And without seeing them this is a guess, but I'd thing they'd be constructed for the typical loads of an average car. That's going to be a fraction of what your boat may come across. And for $119, you can only expect so much.

rainmn
03-10-2010, 05:20 PM
I have used beard and mastercraft before..not in boats, but the same type of violent environment... my butt liked them both.

I was also thinking off road suspension seats. Some of the mastercraft knockoffs are pretty cheap, and they are vinyl, so that takes care of the cover.

I don't know how long the metal frames would last before rusting though. In salt water, I'd expect about 20 minutes. :ack2:

sledge
03-10-2010, 05:20 PM
And the description says "macimum support"? Guess that's code for maximum?

"macimum support" is only if you're a "wntusiast." :D

They look like Corbeau knockoffs. It may be hard to notice from the pictures, but when they say "bucket", they mean it will really feel like you are sitting in a bucket. Look at the forward padding that would be right about under your thigh. It's raised about 3-4" above the seat bottom. Not comfortable AT ALL.

I don't recommend these. Dania Marine Flea Market is coming up, or just keep looking around for a better set of "boat" seats, even if you have to re-foam/re-cover.

rchevelle71
03-10-2010, 05:23 PM
I would also want to get a good look and sit in some before I bought... Some of the cheaper seats skimp on things like decent frame painting etc... since its a boat...you really dont want the metal frame rusting if the paint /powdercoat isn't up to par... Scat is a decent compnay, but they aren't above having them made in china either...

All-steel frame is TIG-welded for strength and electrostatically coated for durability. High density injection-molded foam is used throughout for maximum comfort and support.

phragle
03-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Im sure Master craft and possibly Beard would make you a set with stainless frames, but they arent going to be $119

rchevelle71
03-10-2010, 05:24 PM
In a sit-down 24, you're probably going to want something with a bit more padding. And without seeing them this is a guess, but I'd thing they'd be constructed for the typical loads of an average car. That's going to be a fraction of what your boat may come across. And for $119, you can only expect so much.

That was my thought, but what I have now doesnt have much padding either. Wish their was someone local that carried them, so I could see/sit in one.

rchevelle71
03-10-2010, 05:27 PM
"macimum support" is only if you're a "wntusiast." :D

They look like Corbeau knockoffs. It may be hard to notice from the pictures, but when they say "bucket", they mean it will really feel like you are sitting in a bucket. Look at the forward padding that would be right about under your thigh. It's raised about 3-4" above the seat bottom. Not comfortable AT ALL.

I don't recommend these. Dania Marine Flea Market is coming up, or just keep looking around for a better set of "boat" seats, even if you have to re-foam/re-cover.

Yeah, May be right. They also have these on clearance for $199

http://www.procarbyscat.com/closeouts/f-series.html

Chris
03-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Summit Racing carries a house-brand like that appears to be virtually identical. They're light and flimsy.

The issue you're going to run into on any of these seats is that they're made for performance, not comfort- in a car. They fit tight so you don't move around. They have little padding. Even the good one's.

The buckets in something like a Gladiator have very thick padding- the bottoms are 8 or 10 inches thick.

phragle
03-10-2010, 05:45 PM
In a sit down boat, you are going to become rather intimate with the seats... It's not something you want to skimp on. You can skimp on seats, but after the firsts rough water ride as your heading for the chiropractors, they will be sitting on the curb and you will be spending money. The cheap seats your looking at were designed and built for a highschool kid to stick in his neon, you know the one, with the giant wing on the back and the obnoxious coffee can size tailpipe......

Or let me say this in simple english.......

Cheap seats are a pain in the azz.....

JnT
03-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Rick, A good friend of mine had a Velocity and swapped the factory seats for something from Jegs or Summit. I'll find out and let you know.
Jim

Caincando1
03-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Does the seat come off the bucket/frame? If so you can always add some high or medium density foam to the bottom of the seat if you need it.

JnT
03-10-2010, 06:07 PM
After thinking a few minutes fueled by some beer I like the way your boat is layed out currently. The three man sit down bolsters work well.
I would add a bench seat with some room for passengers but have a "race hatch" handy for the hell runs. Look at the little Skaters.
Thanks again for the ride.
Jim

Bobcat
03-10-2010, 06:21 PM
these are expensive when new, but you can always find a used one on the side of the road. Duct tape can easily fix any tears. you could really kick back and relax while rafting up.:sifone:

Big Time
03-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Are you sure you want to get buckets for the back too? I kind of like the idea of leaving the bench back there, but that is just me...

I'm just bouncing ideas around, but would it more cost effective to just have a bench seat in the back and then maybe have more $$ for the seats upfront?

JnT
03-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Talked to my friend with the Velocity. He used these frames and had an upholstery shop finish them out. He used 10 inches of foam in the seat.
http://kirkeyracing.com/index.php?link=browse&code=Series16#nogo

glassdave
03-10-2010, 07:23 PM
I hate to say this but these kind of seats are an accident waiting to happen in a 24/7. If you are going to be seated in any boat (especially an open one) you need the key hole style like from PPI. You get a small boat like that loose and they will act more like a catapult then anything but they will probably throw somewhere within the cockpit. You chine walk or high side a boat hard and these are gonna come right out from underneath you. With the key hole style and the proper placement of a foot rest you can wedge yourself in pretty good. I doubt these could take that kinda pressure. Just some more food for thought :cool:

Steve 1
03-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I used these in 8 Boats they were from the Desert Racing trucks, the company was called Mastercraft a Chick in California owned it, They have a chrome-molly frame and a strap style suspension.

http://i42.tinypic.com/155rm82.jpg

glassdave
03-10-2010, 09:00 PM
One other thing to add these type of seats only work if you can be belted in.

phragle
03-10-2010, 09:47 PM
I used these in 8 Boats they were from the Desert Racing trucks, the company was called Mastercraft a Chick in California owned it, They have a chrome-molly frame and a strap style suspension.

http://i42.tinypic.com/155rm82.jpg

Those are the beard/ mastercraft type seat that I had mentioned. They are true suspension seats ad built to take all the abuse you can dish out.

Steve 1
03-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Those are the beard/ mastercraft type seat that I had mentioned. They are true suspension seats ad built to take all the abuse you can dish out.
I am sorry just went back and read your post I did not see it ,Yes they are dam good seats and do not weigh much,we had a system with Quick pins, pull two pins and the seat came out of a channel it was captured in.

glh
03-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Usually you get what you pay for but for that price it's not a huge gamble.

http://www.limestonedev.com/mti/08.jpg
http://www.limestonedev.com/mti/07.jpg

rchevelle71
03-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Usually you get what you pay for but for that price it's not a huge gamble.

That was my thought, but now I am thinking everyone is right, either just recover the 3-man, and add a rear bench, or spend more on front buckets and add the rear bench, was trying to save weight along with $$.

rchevelle71
03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
After thinking a few minutes fueled by some beer I like the way your boat is layed out currently. The three man sit down bolsters work well.
I would add a bench seat with some room for passengers but have a "race hatch" handy for the hell runs. Look at the little Skaters.
Thanks again for the ride.
Jim

That is also a possibility.

rchevelle71
03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
I hate to say this but these kind of seats are an accident waiting to happen in a 24/7. If you are going to be seated in any boat (especially an open one) you need the key hole style like from PPI. You get a small boat like that loose and they will act more like a catapult then anything but they will probably throw somewhere within the cockpit. You chine walk or high side a boat hard and these are gonna come right out from underneath you. With the key hole style and the proper placement of a foot rest you can wedge yourself in pretty good. I doubt these could take that kinda pressure. Just some more food for thought :cool:

Point taken, I DO like to get it loose:driving:

Wahoo 214
03-11-2010, 10:45 AM
These are true suspension seats made for jeeps. They would give you more comfort.

http://www.4wd.com/aux_incl/images.ashx?i=665-09.jpg&jeep-parts=true&w=200&h=200

Powder coated steel frameReinforced nylon with military grade suspension cordsIntegrated full body support5-Point harness capabilityFits up to a 36-38" waistMust order in pairs $179 each

http://www.4wd.com/jeep-parts.aspx?cid=30&jeep-sid=362&plID=112

2TR
03-11-2010, 12:17 PM
That shifter placement is interesting.

rchevelle71
03-11-2010, 12:51 PM

Bet it makes it easier to dock with your head sticking out of the canopy:bump:

rchevelle71
03-11-2010, 12:53 PM
These are true suspension seats made for jeeps. They would give you more comfort.

http://www.4wd.com/aux_incl/images.ashx?i=665-09.jpg&jeep-parts=true&w=200&h=200

Powder coated steel frameReinforced nylon with military grade suspension cordsIntegrated full body support5-Point harness capabilityFits up to a 36-38" waistMust order in pairs $179 each

http://www.4wd.com/jeep-parts.aspx?cid=30&jeep-sid=362&plID=112

yeah,

I saw those also.

Wahoo 214
03-11-2010, 01:00 PM

may be the cables were just too short.:driving:

phragle
03-11-2010, 01:06 PM
yeah,

I saw those also.

Those would basically be identicle to the mastercrafts and beards.

C_Spray
03-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Has anyone had experience with these Garelick adjustable bases? They're low-profile, so they could fit under a floor-mounted seat without raising you up too much. The firmness is adusted by moving the rubber bumpers forward and aft, or by adding additional bumpers. Roughly $125/pair, plus your seat.

Buoy
03-11-2010, 02:42 PM

Yep, I asked the same question the first time I saw that pic.

Bet it makes it easier to dock with your head sticking out of the canopy:bump:

Exactly.
That was the answer.

rchevelle71
03-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Yep, I asked the same question the first time I saw that pic.

Exactly.
That was the answer.

I may have witnessed that a time or 2 before:sifone:

OneBadInjun
03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
may be the cables were just too short.:driving:thats funny, lol.:)

OneBadInjun
03-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Rick, is your helm seat/bolster currently a standup? If so, what would you mount these buckets to?

rchevelle71
03-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Rick, is your helm seat/bolster currently a standup? If so, what would you mount these buckets to?

Sitdown, I would make new Fibergalss boxes to mount them to.