PDA

View Full Version : Blowing up a Merc # 6 Drive at 105 MPH in a Cat

glh
03-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Over the years a lot of people I have talked with have speculated what would happen if you blow up a Merc # 6 Drive in a Cat at speed.

Well look no further... a week before the Miami boatshow "one a them thar #6's done blowed up on me" a mile offshore of Miami heading south at about 105 MPH.

A lot of people wonder what happens when you blow up a drive in a Catamaran at speed... Essentially, nothing you turn the throttle down, put it in neutral stay on plane and go back to port at 50 MPH instead of 110... Also bring water to keep hydrated! Mind you I have heard the other "well what happens if it seizes"... my guess is with the forces involved nothing will seize the shaft would break and you would lose your prop the boat has so much kinetic energy going forward that not much will make it veer from course unless a rogue wave or Jason Priessly (whatever the f his name is) hits it!

Here is the video, I have it on my website in better definition ( http://www.limestonedev.com/mti/video/02132010_6Drive_Done.mov ) but once it is up on youtube properly just hit the highest definition on bottom right and keep an eye on the RPM of the port engine. Also bring plenty of water those cockpit boats get hot!

You might want to turn the sound down a bit!!!!

Double click the "YouTube" Icon in the lower corner for the better view.

FaYSDK4FXj4

http://www.limestonedev.com/mti/mti_Hudson2.jpg

C_Spray
03-08-2010, 08:36 AM
"That man could break an anvil while playing with it in a sandbox."

Wow. Haven't seen many of those....

.38Special
03-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Well at least you kept your cool and got home safe, I would have been cussing up a storm!

dykstra
03-08-2010, 10:07 AM
well at least you kept your cool and got home safe, i would have been cussing up a storm!

me2!

glh
03-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I would have been cussing up a storm!I've tried that a bunch of times and it never fixed the problem so now I attack those issues a different way!!!

One very important piece is NEVER get off plane cause then its 8 knots instead of limping home at 50 MPH! :cheers2:

.38Special
03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=glh;453724]I've tried that a bunch of times and it never fixed the problem so now I attack those issues a different way!!!

Yeah, with your wallet! Love the boat, bring that thing up to Boyne Thunder this summer and run the big water with us! You won't be alone there are other cats, apaches, nortechs there as well.

Big Time
03-08-2010, 07:28 PM
GL, are you driving that thing by yourself? Man, I hope you at least had some help at the dock/ramp!

glh
03-08-2010, 09:20 PM
GL, are you driving that thing by yourself? Man, I hope you at least had some help at the dock/ramp!There is a method for everything!

When the urge is there I am not big on waiting for people to be in the right frame of mind to go out!

And actually taking this thing to the ramp is a lot easier than the two Tigers I had before by myself.

wananewboat
03-09-2010, 11:22 AM
GL, does that boat have any type of AC?

glh
03-09-2010, 11:28 AM
GL, does that boat have any type of AC?No cruising at 100-105 there is plenty of air coming in from two NACA duct on the deck assisted with fans if you need it. Usually at 100 you can turn the fans off and your all set whatever the outside temperature is.

You see the intake under the "O" and the "e" in front of the cockpit here, comes out at your feet in the cockpit;

http://www.limestonedev.com/mti/1024mti.jpg

rchevelle71
03-09-2010, 12:36 PM
When the urge is there I am not big on waiting for people to be in the right frame of mind to go out!

If ya ever have the urge when your in Florida, give me a call, trust me, you wont be waiting for long:sifone:

Bradz
03-09-2010, 12:52 PM
I lost a drive at 150 once. Made a racket like the boat was coming apart, but all it did was slow down.

Seafordguy
03-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Wow. Haven't seen many of those....

How common are #6 failures with moderate power (800 - 1000hp)?

I just read that - HAHA - what a hobby when the mentality is that 800-1000 is "moderate"

Bad Idea Baja
03-10-2010, 12:11 AM
And I thought fixing Bravo's was expensive! Please don't tell me a 6 is cheaper to fix than a Bravo.

glh
03-10-2010, 08:36 AM
And I thought fixing Bravo's was expensive! Please don't tell me a 6 is cheaper to fix than a Bravo.Not "A" Bravo, it's cheaper than fixing seven or eight Bravo's maybe...

Bad Idea Baja
03-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Not "A" Bravo, it's cheaper than fixing seven or eight Bravo's maybe...

Thanks for making me feel better anyway. :cheers2: I'm sorry for your luck. Breaking drives is never fun.....well sometimes it is.

J.T.
03-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Not "A" Bravo, it's cheaper than fixing seven or eight Bravo's maybe...

I haven't done that many but I'm close:eek:.....if I count the one's
I've repaired for friends, I'm there.