PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Tank, Tank's New Blog

Ratickle
03-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Interesting to see Tank's new blog in the Powerboat Newletter.

http://www.powerboatmag.com/tank-sears-blog/

Tank Sears' Blog

Ever since he was a kid growing up at the beach, Tank Sears has been drawn to the sleek lines, powerful stance, heart-skipping roar and seductive allure of go-fast boats. Now, the Southern California native enjoys boating with his wife, Kelly, daughter, Taylor, and son, Finn.

Owner of a 1995 Cigarette 38 Top Gun, which has been featured as a project boat in Powerboat, Sears often can be found offering up his opinion on performance-related message boards. Catch up with him on SeriousOffshore.com (user name: Tank)

Also interesting to see Tank's first blog subject.:sifone:

He does bring up some very good points of what decisions have to be made.

What does everyone think?????

And to Tank, thanks for picking us as "Home".

Here's the text:

"As are many of you, I’m passionate about this “sport” of ours. I’m intrigued with the inner workings of the powerboat world—from what’s going on with a certain builder to the latest on those who lead the industry. Web forums always provide information, good or bad depending on your perspective. And so it seems to be a never-ending struggle between board administrators and board members when someone asks a question via a chat forum related to a rumor they’ve heard.

I think we would all agree that a rumor based on no facts whatsoever has no place on a forum or in the “news.” Whether it’s a malicious rumor that someone is folding shop or a good rumor that boat company A is buying boat company B, many rumors begin with hidden agendas to get people talking about a certain product.

However, there are those “rumors” (I used quotations because now I’m referring to facts) that one could argue, whether good or bad, need to come to the forefront in order to make people aware. Those people who may be doing business deals with said company. For example, how many would have enjoyed being privy to the National Marine debacle prior to it going down? Some boaters lost large sums of money because of dishonest business practices. There are a handful of other businesses that have followed suit. A little information sharing could have potentially saved many.

On the other hand, you may have information that while true, could potentially damage a business. For example, a business could be on the verge of closing but doing everything possible to stay open. Rumors of closure could inevitably be the nail in the coffin in a situation that may have not warranted it.

There’s always the cry of freedom of speech but this is a silly objection, considering a forum-based Web site is privately owned, controlled by those who see fit best to run it. With forums come agendas, favorites and advertisers that those controlling the forums are looking to protect. And there’s always the real possibility that the owner and/or the moderators are friends with those who own a business that is being promoted. And you thought politics were convoluted?

There are most definitely two camps on this topic. Those who feel nothing should be discussed unless OK’d by those involved. And those who feel information should be shared to protect everyone.

I personally believe it is a fine line that needs to be walked by moderators of the various discussion forums. I think that a compromise can be found somewhere in the middle. Also, hot topics create conversation and get people thinking and talking (or typing, in this case). And typing away discussing our sport is what it’s all about.

So in the end, I would suggest considering the source of a rumor you’ve heard. And weigh the positive and negative aspects of that rumor before posting a question or a comment about it. And always remember: Don’t believe everything you hear or read.

See you in the forums and on the water!"

Ted
03-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Nice job Tank! And certainly good advice :sifone:

Tank
03-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Thank you guys. The powers that be at powerboat asked me a fee months back if I'd write a blog for them once they built their new website. Of course I agreed an jumped at te opportunity. Of course once I saw the names of my fellow bloggers (Marc Granet, Scott Shogren, Steve David and the editors of PBM Gregg mansfield & Jason Johnson as well as plans to bring Johnny Tomlinson in) I thought, why the hell am I being asked to do this? I came to the conclusion they wanted an average boater to give some input. So here I am.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading the other blogs and hopefully people will enjoy my offerings.

Bgchuby01
03-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Tank congrats on this

glh
03-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Tank Rules...

Average?

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56658&stc=1&d=1268007415

Tank
03-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Jesus, you keep some old pics on file GL!!!:eek:

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with some interesting stuff from time to time. :)

glh
03-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Jesus, you keep some old pics on file!!!:eek:Not on file.... I just know where to dig!!!! I didn't even put this one!!!

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56671&stc=1&d=1268014587

Ratickle
03-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Tank Rules...

Average?

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56658&stc=1&d=1268007415

He gets seasick???????:sifone:

Chris
03-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Good stuff Tank. Congrats.