PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Bling

Offshore Ginger
03-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Hey guys i made a Carbon Fiber pannel for a friend in Tenn a few weeks ago and was just curious is there any interest in this stuff yet and whats your take in different colors in the carbon and Twills ? Once again opinion's please .:bump:

GENERAL LEE
03-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I'd be interested in seeing what you can do, depending on how smooth you can make the cuts & edges? That seems to be where the price difference comes in. The pieces that have a nice rounded, smooth edge, are the sign of quality over the rough, sharp edges.

The colored stuff looks really cool as well, again, when it's been cut right. http://smiliesftw.com/x/cool.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

Offshore Ginger
03-05-2010, 08:05 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/13yqsjr.jpg Here is a pic of the pannel before i get ready to package and ship UPS .:sifone:

Offshore Ginger
03-05-2010, 08:12 PM
I'd be interested in seeing what you can do, depending on how smooth you can make the cuts & edges? That seems to be where the price difference comes in. The pieces that have a nice rounded, smooth edge, are the sign of quality over the rough, sharp edges.

The colored stuff looks really cool as well, again, when it's been cut right. http://smiliesftw.com/x/cool.gif (http://smiliesftw.com) This piece was cut and the edges sanded but the person who is getting it is going to cut and shape it for his center throttle control console for a cat .

glassdave
03-05-2010, 09:39 PM
is that cheese cloth? :D

looks good Artie :cool:

Steve 1
03-05-2010, 09:58 PM
That Flats boat in the picture with the wing poling platform, had a clear gelcoated Carbon transom.

Matt Trulio
03-05-2010, 10:02 PM
God, I love carbon fiber bling, but one piece of advice: Don't paint it.

I have a relatively new carbon fiber Santa Cruz Blur XC mountain bike. Santa Cruz painted the frame black and silver. It looks cool enough, but I think it would have looked even cooler with the fiber pattern showing.

Offshore Ginger
03-05-2010, 10:03 PM
is that cheese cloth? :D

looks good Artie :cool: Yes it is and how did you know ? Dave i bet you could tell by the twill ............. Hey:willy_nilly: And i even used Epoxy for the layup .

Offshore Ginger
03-05-2010, 10:06 PM
God, I love carbon fiber bling, but one piece of advice: Don't paint it.

I have a relatively new carbon fiber Santa Cruz Blur XC mountain bike. Santa Cruz painted the frame black and silver. It looks cool enough, but I think it would have looked even cooler with the fiber pattern showing. this will be clear coated to give it more depth .

Offshore Ginger
03-05-2010, 10:14 PM
That Flats boat in the picture with the wing poling platform, had a clear gelcoated Carbon transom.
Steve and you did not show this so all could see :rofl::rofl::rofl: just kidding ole friend . Steve this just happens to be a scrap piece of fabric that i had laying around and thought i would lay it up for $hits and giggles in the garage and in the future i thought i just might make a few more pannels with different colors . :bump::rofl::seeya:

Steve 1
03-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Steve and you did not show this so all could see :rofl::rofl::rofl: just kidding ole friend . Steve this just happens to be a scrap piece of fabric that i had laying around and thought i would lay it up for $hits and giggles in the garage and in the future i thought i just might make a few more pannels with different colors . :bump::rofl::seeya:

Artie, That material always looks good. I had Carbon stringers in one of the cats a long while back, the mechanic set a battery switch on one lug side down, he won't do that again!

FASTERDAD
03-05-2010, 10:54 PM
I cut a section out of a panel made by "RADICLE" to cover some old holes on my dash-everyone asks about it because it looks cool and hi-tech!:)

Offshore Ginger
03-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Artie, That material always looks good. I had Carbon stringers in one of the cats a long while back, the mechanic set a battery switch on one lug side down, he won't do that again! Steve i know what you mean and i can almost bet that you were ready to put your boot in someones a$$:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Offshore Ginger
03-05-2010, 11:14 PM
I cut a section out of a panel made by "RADICLE" to cover some old holes on my dash-everyone asks about it because it looks cool and hi-tech!:) Great , and a funny thing about bling it sure can bring some life to some things .

glassdave
03-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Yes it is and how did you know ? Dave i bet you could tell by the twill ............. Hey:willy_nilly: And i even used Epoxy for the layup .

is it "E" cheese or "S" cheese :bump:

Steve (an you to Artie :D) this is one i did in clear gelcoat as well. In the mold i used a clear gel and "picture framed it in yellow then used a clear Silmar resin to laminate it in and keep it clean. Its kind of a cool trick to get the true carbon look without an epoxy system.

oh, its a dash for the Batboats

Steve 1
03-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Dave looks very cool When I was doing transoms out of carbon fiber, we ran a piece of masking tape while on the cutting table with the weave in a straight line so I could see easer and it would be dead straight when laminated, I used a brush bubble buster and a metal 3/8" roller about a zillion times to make sure every pin sized air bubble was gone after the roll out..

ILMORdude
03-05-2010, 11:50 PM
We like carbon bits also!!

Steve 1
03-05-2010, 11:58 PM
We like carbon bits also!!

Classy looking.

Offshore Ginger
03-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Classy looking.sure is

Offshore Ginger
03-06-2010, 11:36 AM
is it "E" cheese or "S" cheese :bump:

Steve (an you to Artie :D) this is one i did in clear gelcoat as well. In the mold i used a clear gel and "picture framed it in yellow then used a clear Silmar resin to laminate it in and keep it clean. Its kind of a cool trick to get the true carbon look without an epoxy system.

oh, its a dash for the Batboats

Dave , i thought about clear jell also , but have had great sucess with Epoxy , just something else that we made when i was at at Skater and thought i would use the same process .

Ratickle
03-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I cut a section out of a panel made by "RADICLE" to cover some old holes on my dash-everyone asks about it because it looks cool and hi-tech!:)

You could at least spell it right......:sifone:

Offshore Ginger
03-06-2010, 03:50 PM
You could at least spell it right......:sifone::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: