PDA

View Full Version : Overstock.com Furniture?

ILMORdude
03-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Im in need of some furniture for the house. My girl found some nice stuff on Overstock for a great price. Anyone have any experience?

insanity
03-03-2010, 02:22 AM
My mom says its worked good for her and the shipping is usually reasonable. She was always bugging me to do it that way but I just went to the store, picked out the first things I liked and said 'drop em off'.

LAriverratt
03-03-2010, 07:53 AM
used them once for a breakfast table and stools....no issues what so ever and saved a significant amount of $$$$

Spicy
03-03-2010, 08:48 AM
I bought two Leather chairs for a sitting area in my house, great deal and showed up in a few days...

drpete3
03-03-2010, 09:28 AM
If you have an IKEA store near you they have descent stuff at good prices....never used overstock.com

BillR
03-03-2010, 09:51 AM
I gotta say this -
If we all bought from our local merchants instead of online, our economy would heal faster and make your business community stronger.
Support your local business, they have made the investment into your community, maybe you should too.

BTW: where does your money go when buying online?

DollaBill
03-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I bought some stuff from there. Rugs, lamps etc for the house in NC. Always happy with what I got

Big Time
03-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I gotta say this -
If we all bought from our local merchants instead of online, our economy would heal faster and make your business community stronger.
Support your local business, they have made the investment into your community, maybe you should too.

There aren't too many local mom & pop furniture stores around me, most of the places are Ethan Allen, Raymour and Flanigan, Pier 1, Basset, etc. I know because I have been looking all over for a couple of pieces of furniture that I plan on buying in the next month or two. One local merchant is way too expensive for my taste...rugs are in the multiple of thousands of dollars, seems silly to pay that much when I know that I am going to spill beer and salsa on it....on the other hand, I always try to shop locally first. For instance, I am looking to buy a new TV and I am leaning towards one of the local shops as opposed to one of the "Big Stores"

I too am looking at overstock and have found the reviews/comments from the actual customers informative.

ILMORdude
03-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Good feedback.....thanks guys. As I said, my girl found a nice table and chair set with a HUGE markdown. I have an IKEA about 3 miles from me also, gonna spend some cash there also.

JupiterSunsation
03-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I gotta say this -

Good in theory but the Baer's Furniture chain in S. FL was owned by a guy that lived in a 10mm house on Lake Boca and had a 90 ft yacht named "Tahiti." When I get to that level of living I will be happy to buy from him but in a recession I would easily buy based on price, not making my neighbor wealthier!:leaving:

rchevelle71
03-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Good in theory but the Baer's Furniture chain in S. FL was owned by a guy that lived in a 10mm house on Lake Boca and had a 90 ft yacht named "Tahiti." When I get to that level of living I will be happy to buy from him but in a recession I would easily buy based on price, not making my neighbor wealthier!:leaving:

Come on man,

We can buy from him, and then make his life miserable by anchoring behind his house and raising hell:cheers2:

Ms PatriYacht
03-04-2010, 06:23 PM
I just started using overstock.com mostly for coats and their customer service is great they are all Americans and answer their phone if you need to talk with someone. they are in located in Utah.

When it comes to furniture purchases I have this great book that lists all the brands and then the stores that offer discounts (mostly in the Carolina's) When we built our new house I shopped our local stores first, then checked the books and wound up ordering from a store in NC. I paid less than half plus the shipping was a lot less than the sales tax would have been. Later on I wanted two fairly expensive chairs that I found at a local store so I checked my book and got pricing that was much lower. I went back to the store and spoke to the owner and gave them the opportunity to match or come very close to the price, which they did. Buying local has it's advantanges so I thought it was worth the try and I am glad it worked out because I worry that eventually we will not have a many places that you can touch and feel the stuff you would like to buy.

If you have the brand name of the pieces you want email them to me and I will check my book for you.

ILMORdude
03-05-2010, 12:10 AM
I
If you have the brand name of the pieces you want email them to me and I will check my book for you.

Thanks alot!! I will get the info to you asap. Thanks Ms P!!

Buoy
03-05-2010, 12:16 AM
When it comes to furniture, I tend to go on the inexpensive but not cheap.
But, I also go through furniture every few years.
I've either moved, or it's time for something different, or, because I bought inexpensive it's showing wear in ~5 yrs. Cheap to replace with new.
I can't see putting a whole lot of cash into it.

ChiefApache
03-05-2010, 10:14 AM
I just started using overstock.com mostly for coats and their customer service is great they are all Americans and answer their phone if you need to talk with someone. they are in located in Utah.

When it comes to furniture purchases I have this great book that lists all the brands and then the stores that offer discounts (mostly in the Carolina's) When we built our new house I shopped our local stores first, then checked the books and wound up ordering from a store in NC. I paid less than half plus the shipping was a lot less than the sales tax would have been. Later on I wanted two fairly expensive chairs that I found at a local store so I checked my book and got pricing that was much lower. I went back to the store and spoke to the owner and gave them the opportunity to match or come very close to the price, which they did. Buying local has it's advantanges so I thought it was worth the try and I am glad it worked out because I worry that eventually we will not have a many places that you can touch and feel the stuff you would like to buy.

Hey Donna!! Where have you been?

ChiefApache
03-05-2010, 10:16 AM
I can't see putting a whole lot of cash into it.

Us either, but mostly because we get bored with it. Love our bedroom set we bought 5 years ago.

We just gave all of our furniture/accessories to my daughter and her husband that we bought 5 years ago. They moved into their first home and needed some furniture. We bought all new living room and dining room furniture, plus all new wall hangings for those rooms, and gave the place a fresh coat of paint!

Just get too bored seeing the same ole same all the time.