PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding mech. fuel pumps

MILD THUNDER
02-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Anyone ever rebuild their Holley mechanical pumps? Mine were working fine, but thinking of replacing or rebuilding them, they are about 3-4 years old. ??

BenPerfected
02-28-2010, 10:35 PM
We generally rebuilt only there is a leak or the fuel pressure is dropping off.

YoungPerformance
02-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Agree with Ben. If it is not getting weak, then leave it. They will give you a warning. Just watch the pressure gauges for signs of pressure drop.
Eddie

MILD THUNDER
03-02-2010, 01:02 AM
Agree with Ben. If it is not getting weak, then leave it. They will give you a warning. Just watch the pressure gauges for signs of pressure drop.
Eddie

Cool!

Chris
03-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm with Thunder. I'm of the opinion that every piece on my boat is actively failing. And all the cheap stuff that can cause me expensive or annoying problems gets replaced regularly.

I've seen too may engines destroyed by lack of fuel pressure that led to lean-out and detonation.

imco offshore
03-02-2010, 10:33 AM
your right Chris,,But that is what the gauges are for !!! if water goes up a bit ???? ,,oil goes down a bit??? fuel pressure goes down a bit???? they don,t have to crash,,just not be normal,,is the indication something needs to be addressed.. the key here is KNOW YOUR GAUGES,,,,:seeya:

Chris
03-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I definitely agree with that. But many times, all the gauge is telling you is that you need a new engine. If your pressure starts getting funky at WOT with blower motors, it takes just a blink to go from big smiles to smoldering parts.

MILD THUNDER
03-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I definitly want to tie in warning buzzers for oil temp, water temp, and fuel pressure. Sometimes running hard you are watching the water, not the gauges, and like chris says, blower motors can go boom quick!!

What about the idea of tieing in the warning switches to the ignition somehow, so if you lose oil pressure or fuel pressure the motor shuts down?

I often think about blowing a oil cooler line or something while running hard in rough water, and emptying the pan before i smell anything.