PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled my BP credit card

Magicfloat
02-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Sorry for the rant,but this is stupid.Bought BP for years as a station is next door to our store. In boating season we put 3K-4K per month on our cards.Last month it was only $1362. There was an issue on the statment,there were several fill-ups listed as diesel fuel,but that station does not sell diesel.It took them several days to determine it was clerical error,but I waited a couple of days to pay the bill. The check was received 1 day past the due date and they charged me $126 late fee for one day of $1364! I very nicely complained,they refused to do anything,saying no grace period.I explained that if they had addressed my concerns in a timely manner,the check would not have been 1 day late,And I asked them to look at my payment history and $ volume over the past 20 years. She finally agreed to credit half ($63) on my next statement,as she could not issue a credit on my current bill. So I just put $65 gas in my truck and then cancelled all 5 cards.Will not ever buy BP fuel again. Don't these large companies have a clue about customer service? We were the largest account at this station,and they lost it over $63:( If they had credited the $126 I don't believe I owe,they would have kept a customer.

Sea-Dated
02-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Good for you. Sounds all too common anymore that customer service has been a thing of the past for years now. Phillips 66 did the same thing to me and I cancelled my card and got my whole family to do the same.

Wrinkleface
02-25-2010, 04:57 PM
good 4 U Robert!!!!:seeya:

clayinaustin
02-25-2010, 06:19 PM
I love it! Kick those companies to the curb! :mad:

MarylandMark
02-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Good for you and I don't blame you, but I wonder if it is a local franchise store vs a corporate store?

The guy you may be hurting may be your neighbor and they don't even know why they lost you as a customer. They should be more than willing to pay the fee to keep your business and/or call corporate to work some thing out in your favor.

Can't fix a problem you don't know about!

Hope all is well Robert!

Magicfloat
02-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Mark,you make a very good point and I admit I did not look at it that way in my anger.It is a local merchant that happens to sell BP fuel,and it is not right to punish him for something he has no control over.I will call him tomorrow,it is not about the $63,it is about corporate arrogance that he is not a part of.Great thing about SOS it the words of wisdom comments I can get here. Thank you. Robert

MacGyver
02-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Also, if you canceled all those cards at once, it might have a big impact on your credit score.

JupiterSunsation
02-25-2010, 07:25 PM
If you know the guy, have him set up a charge system and you can pay him with a check at the end of the week, month whatever. He can record on the receipt who got fuel in what vehicle/vessel.

But keep in mind at 10 cents a gallon in profit even $3,000 in fuel is only $100 a month minus credit card fees and the guy may only make $75 a month on you in the summer......

t500hps
02-25-2010, 07:47 PM
We got caught up in a CC invoicing issue a few years ago...I'd get a late charge, complain and have it removed. So the next month we sent in the payment the very next day after we recieved it.....another late charge. I complained and they removed it. The 3rd month my wife had a baby right when it was due and I realized it 2 days before the due date.....I FEDEXed the check in cause that was cheaper than the late fee and they still charged me. This time they would do nothing so I cancelled the card.

18 months later I get notice of a class action suit against that CC company that I can opt out of if desired. Turns out the CC company had a 3rd party company handling CC payment processing and THAT THIRD PARTY got to keep any late charges.....so they were charging everybody regardless!!!!

I still never went back to them, too bad they lost alot of customers over what their contractor was doing.

FYI: I was going to suggest the same thing about setting up a charge account with the station owner. After explaining your position he'll probably be glad to work with you.

Magicfloat
02-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Actually,I had a charge account with him already,but I was to lazy to walk inside,pay at the pump was just so easy.I talked to him just now,we worked it out,he wanted to refund the charges,but I said no,wasn't his fault.So it's all good. I am supporting my local guy,not BP.Thanks guys.

Wobble
02-25-2010, 07:56 PM
It appears that Chase bank handles BP credit card business http://bpcreditcard.info/

Be nice if you could get BP's attention about this issue.

sledge
02-25-2010, 08:14 PM
But keep in mind at 10 cents a gallon in profit even $3,000 in fuel is only $100 a month minus credit card fees and the guy may only make $75 a month on you in the summer......

It's not always net profit per customer, but total volume that can affect the big picture. Not to mention maintaining a long standing customer relationship.

Was the BP card still getting you a rebate of some kind? Just look for another card that offers a rebate, and keep buying from him.

And FWIW in the future, never accept the offer of the first person you talk to on the phone if they don't give what you think is reasonable. Always ask them to "elevate my call to the next service level." It's not a guarantee, but more often than not you'll get someone else that has a little more authority.

t500hps
02-25-2010, 08:43 PM
another idea.......get a visa/mastercard and continue to buy from him.

Rush
02-25-2010, 09:30 PM
A credit card cost the retailer 3% in to handle where as a BP. card may not.

Magicfloat
02-25-2010, 09:30 PM
It's not always net profit per customer, but total volume that can affect the big picture. Not to mention maintaining a long standing customer relationship.

Was the BP card still getting you a rebate of some kind? Just look for another card that offers a rebate, and keep buying from him.

And FWIW in the future, never accept the offer of the first person you talk to on the phone if they don't give what you think is reasonable. Always ask them to "elevate my call to the next service level." It's not a guarantee, but more often than not you'll get someone else that has a little more authority.

That was my point.Good customer service should not depend on your negotiating skills or knowing certain catch phases to use. Good customer service should be"How can I help you with your issue?"BP obviously has no clue,or they have a clue and don't want to help. No matter,I will buy local and the cards are cancelled.

Tristar Racing
02-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Bp got me for a day late once. $65 fee for a $75 bill, plus carry-over interest into the next billing cycle. The payment was sent in 11 days before it was due.

The best part, they said the only way I could disbute the charge was through a written letter, nothing could be done on the phone; regardless how many times I escalated the call. No joke...

rchevelle71
02-26-2010, 09:13 AM
It appears that Chase bank handles BP credit card business http://bpcreditcard.info/

Be nice if you could get BP's attention about this issue.

That figures.......I rarely use my chase card(usually just unexpected boat repairs), and since there is a very low balance, sometimes forget to pay on time, the late charges are more than the minimum payment:rolleyes:

LaughingCat
02-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Someday there will be an effective grass-roots movement where everyone moves their business away from one of the oil manufacturers/fuel retailers. Then we will see the industry pay attention to customers. Until then, bend over the barrel and thank an arab for your medicine.

Wobble
02-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Someday there will be an effective grass-roots movement where everyone moves their business away from one of the oil manufacturers/fuel retailers. Then we will see the industry pay attention to customers. Until then, bend over the barrel and thank an arab for your medicine.

Your signature has the same spelling error as the original post:smash::cheers2:

(401): Renamed my iPod as 'the titantic' so when I plug it in it's says 'the titantic is syncing.'

MacGyver
02-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Your signature has the same spelling error as the original post:smash::cheers2:

(401): Renamed my iPod as 'the titantic' so when I plug it in it's says 'the titantic is syncing.'

That aint no typo...

Definition:
Sync or Syncing - Syncing is the process by which data is moved from a computer to an iPod.

iPod Syncing is employed when users want to add or remove content - songs, albums, movies, TV shows, podcasts, etc. - to their iPods. It is used to synchronize (thus the term sync) the contents of the iTunes library on the computer and the iPod library on the device.

Syncing is performed by connecting the iPod to the computer using the iPod cable. Syncing is usually automatically initiated when the iPod is connected.

I'm gonna rename my ipod to "The Titanic" too :D

Wobble
02-26-2010, 10:54 AM
That aint no typo...

Definition:
Sync or Syncing - Syncing is the process by which data is moved from a computer to an iPod.

iPod Syncing is employed when users want to add or remove content - songs, albums, movies, TV shows, podcasts, etc. - to their iPods. It is used to synchronize (thus the term sync) the contents of the iTunes library on the computer and the iPod library on the device.

Syncing is performed by connecting the iPod to the computer using the iPod cable. Syncing is usually automatically initiated when the iPod is connected.

I'm gonna rename my ipod to "The Titanic" too :D

The ship was called the RMS Titanic:cheers2:

Which you obviously knew as you had it right.

MacGyver
02-26-2010, 11:27 AM
The ship was called the RMS Titanic:cheers2:

Which you obviously knew as you had it right.
Oooops, I read right past that typo. I thought you were referring to sinking vs. syncing. :)

Big Time
02-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Mark,you make a very good point and I admit I did not look at it that way in my anger.It is a local merchant that happens to sell BP fuel,and it is not right to punish him for something he has no control over.I will call him tomorrow,it is not about the $63,it is about corporate arrogance that he is not a part of.Great thing about SOS it the words of wisdom comments I can get here. Thank you. Robert

I bet if the merchant wrote the company it might make a difference too.