PDA

View Full Version : Help- Outdoor storage and air tools......

Uncle Dave
02-22-2010, 09:45 PM
1. I need some input from you guys on whose outdoor and wall mount storage you like. Im completely out of room and have to start putting storage in the carport and against outside walls. I've got two cabinets from gladiator garageworks Id rate as attractive, but a c- in overall quality at best. Id like something that I could put a 3K generator in that will not flex- like the griots garage high end stuff.

Who have you guys had good luck with?

2. After not having one for a decade I got a decent (porter cable) portable compressor to take to the dessert with me on quad trips. The toyhaulers 12v unit put out about as much air as a panting squirrel and could barely inflate the toy hauler tires to full pressure (50LB on a 9K trailer) much less run any tools.

Im always fixing someones broken down stuff or changing paddle tires out so I need some current air tool advice. who makes the best butterfly and ratchets and small air tools for the best bucks at the moment? Ill spend big if I have to but I dont know if I do or not.

For the last compressor I had in my river house - i had Chicago pneumatic, and snap on stuff that was stolen Id had since a pup since grandpa died- so Im starting all over again. Not a lot, but a few pieces.

I dont have the "load" of a full time mechanic, but am at the mid to upper end of "normal guy" use. A true weekend warrior per se.
I dont know if there is a mid cost tool line anymore???

anybody know of any decent deals on startup kits?

Im wrenching the following stuff-

21ft tunnel boat SBC
27FT V hull Ilmor710
spare SBC on stand
nissan titan 4x4
Lexus 400Hybrid
Pontiac wave (gf car)
700 raptor
450 kawi kfx
450 Yamaha YZ
20ft toyahuler
honda gennie 2K
yamaha gennie 3K

and a bunch of my friends stuff that they cant seem to ever do any work on.

I need metric and sae stuff unfortunately.

Thanks!

Uncle Dave

Rush
02-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Ck craigs list, there are a lot of tools for sale on there.

Expensive Date
02-22-2010, 11:16 PM
For hand tools Gear Wrench is the best deal right now the have a full line not just wrenches.IR makes some great air tools some stuff like drills you can cheat and get either CIA or astro.Let me know I am a Matco dealer

Boss252
02-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Check out this site. You can get some good deals if you know what to look for.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9&order=desc

Chris
02-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Ingersoll Rand 2131. We have a couple dozen of them on our trucks. Last forever and are very powerful.

Tough to beat Craftsman hand tools. Their Professional stuff is pretty nice. If I had the tools in my hands 8 hours a day something like Snapon might make sense. They have alot of packages. One is a 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" socket set plus combination wrenches in standard and metric, all packaged in a 4-drawer case. They usually have it on a promo for about $200 or so. Super value and it has just about everything you need.

Ted
02-23-2010, 10:54 AM
+1 for Ingersoll Rand. I have an impact I have owned since 1979 that was used daily for almost 5 years and still works like a champ.

Uncle Dave
02-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys, the IR products looks pretty solid and I never have been burned by sears.

the gear wrench stuff looks good as well.

Anybody got any more storage ideas?

UD

northernoffshore
02-23-2010, 03:59 PM
pawn shops

Uncle Dave
02-23-2010, 04:36 PM
pawn shops

very helpful.......

UD

JupiterSunsation
02-23-2010, 06:54 PM
pawn shops

You really need to know "new" prices on a lot of that crap. Pawn shops will try to get over retail on USED STUFF! Makes me laugh because they gave a crackhead $15 for a DeWalt sawzall but will take $150 since it says DeWalt!

MarylandMark
02-23-2010, 07:17 PM
I've got two cabinets from gladiator garageworks Id rate as attractive, but a c- in overall quality at best.

I was going to go all out on a Gladiator garage storage system; pretty disappointed. I ended up getting a few things from them and then doing heavy duty plastic shelving. Nothing special but works for my needs. If you went this route, make sure you secure them to the wall- kind of tall and not very deep.

5-Tier 18" Depth Plastic Shelving Unit
5 Tier Shelving Unit
Assembles in minutes, No tools required
Ventilated shelves hold up to 750 lbs, 150 lbs per shelf
Indoor/Outdoor use

Also check out some stores going out of business- solid commercial stuff out there if you felt like taking it apart and hauling it away.

Cool stuff here:

http://www.texasgarages.com/unique.htm

Uncle Dave
02-23-2010, 07:36 PM
I was going to go all out on a Gladiator garage storage system; pretty disappointed. I ended up getting a few things from them and then doing heavy duty plastic shelving. Nothing special but works for my needs. If you went this route, make sure you secure them to the wall- kind of tall and not very deep.

5-Tier 18" Depth Plastic Shelving Unit
5 Tier Shelving Unit
Assembles in minutes, No tools required
Ventilated shelves hold up to 750 lbs, 150 lbs per shelf
Indoor/Outdoor use

Also check out some stores going out of business- solid commercial stuff out there if you felt like taking it apart and hauling it away.

Cool stuff here:

http://www.texasgarages.com/unique.htm

Ill check that link out- pretty cool so far. I bought the all metal garageworks freestanding cabinets.

Id never buy plastic outdoor storage any real weight on a shelf and it bends and the doors dont close,

I should have said earlier, but I need complete enclosures and locking doors. Gotta keep the lawn guys out and make it a bit harder for some wandering idiot that might walk into my carport to get into.

UD

phragle
02-23-2010, 08:16 PM
If your talking air tools to take to Glamis... Im going to say harbor frieght for a couple reasons..

1. The sand/dust will kill anything, you can buy 3~5 cheap airratchets for the price of one good one. buy a couple and consider them disposable.

2, every time I went to glamis, things just get lost, borrowed etc.. better to loose disposable stuff.

3. It's Glamis, sooner or later when someone notices your trailer full of tools and decides to help themselves, your loss won't be nearly as great...

Quinlan
02-23-2010, 09:09 PM
pawn shops

I feel if there were no pawn shops there would be a WHOLE lot less theiven crack heads in this world. :cuss:
But thats just my opinion since the last time they called the law on ME because my chit wuz on their shelfs with a big Q engraved in it but I didnt have the Ser # F - them!! :mad:

Uncle Dave
02-24-2010, 12:13 AM
If your talking air tools to take to Glamis... Im going to say harbor frieght for a couple reasons..

1. The sand/dust will kill anything, you can buy 3~5 cheap airratchets for the price of one good one. buy a couple and consider them disposable.

2, every time I went to glamis, things just get lost, borrowed etc.. better to loose disposable stuff.

3. It's Glamis, sooner or later when someone notices your trailer full of tools and decides to help themselves, your loss won't be nearly as great...

That's a good point, the inevitable disappointment in other human beings behavior is a factor I look out for as well.

I usually carry a spare set of lower quality stuff to Glamis-no name tools,
super heavy Iron 3 ton jack vs. cool light aluminum one.
I cable up everything else religiously like a prison warden-Honda 2K gas cans, quads, etc.....

It's looking like a 3-5:1 ratio of dough for the good vs the cheap stuff.

UD