PDA

View Full Version : Don't like the new digital gauges!

DollaBill
02-16-2010, 07:12 PM
I know they are innovative etc, but there is nothing like seeing seeing those monster gauges in front of you. Am I alone?

Magicfloat
02-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Totally agree

Audiofn
02-16-2010, 08:53 PM
They can be OK but then again I stair at computer screens all day! :D

It is a great way to get a LOT of info from a small space that is for sure.

I am working on an interface that will allow you to integrate your engine info on older boats into your GPS and so on. It will put what ever info you want onto the NMEA network. Even add a touch panel and turn your lights on and off. It is working great just need a test platform.

THEJOKER
02-16-2010, 09:01 PM
I know they are innovative etc, but there is nothing like seeing seeing those monster gauges in front of you. Am I alone?

100% agree....Gaffrig Liquid Filled Monsters!

jhenrie
02-16-2010, 09:13 PM
I sold digital guages for automotive before there was an internet. Big fad. I'm in line with Dolla here , Not a fan at all.

Scarab KV
02-16-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm with Dolla on this. At a fast glance, a sweeping needle tells me more then a bunch of digits changing.

Digital is for the gadget guys:D

phragle
02-16-2010, 09:37 PM
I like big gauges, but with a twist. I like them rotated so that normal operating range/temp etc, the needle points straight up. A simple glance an you know something isn't right, also if there is a problem, it will catch your eye quicker. I also like a big shielded fom sun/glare multipurpose idiot light to catch your eye.

DAREDEVIL
02-16-2010, 09:40 PM
I also like a big shielded fom sun/glare multipurpose idiot light to catch your eye.

THATS ALL U ,,,we know.... LOL :bump::sifone:

Tank
02-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Agreed!!

cigdaze
02-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I completely agree. Analog is so much better for quick scanning while bouncing around. I set mine so they're all vertical in their nominal ideal range. It's so easy to see when something is awry.

Not to mention they're totally cooler!

phragle
02-16-2010, 10:06 PM
THATS ALL U ,,,we know.... LOL :bump::sifone:

Years of racing experience... your focusing on the course, your bouncing around and everything is dust covered. you can glance quickly at a gauge, but you really cant read it..that light will catch your eye though.

BRD
02-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Yep !

Trim'd Up
02-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Only old school for me. I like lots of gauges.

cosmic12
02-17-2010, 09:34 AM
They can keep all that digital crap, and for that matter most of the bling, bolt on, stick on, paint on, crap that they can come up with to drive the price outa sight.
Give me a big dash full of big round guages a pair of white bolsters a white hull dependable power and lets go have some fun:driving:

And, while they are at it keep the steps also:rolleyes:

But then again, I'm just an old premuture fossil anyway:)

IW 401
02-17-2010, 09:38 AM
I agree 100%

Knot 4 Me
02-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Analog all the way. But they are notoriously inaccurate. I like them to be complimented with Vessel View.

Premier Perf
02-17-2010, 10:35 AM
nothing like this, which is what it should look like

PM203
02-17-2010, 11:00 AM
These new style digital gauges are updated looking and look cool. Unfortunately, they are cold looking and lack personality. I would have to pass on them if I had a choice. There is nothing more impressive looking than rows of multiple gauges.

Scarab KV
02-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Years of racing experience... your focusing on the course, your bouncing around and everything is dust covered. you can glance quickly at a gauge, but you really cant read it..that light will catch your eye though.

Lights are for sissies....yup, I hav'm too:rofl:

DoTheMath
02-17-2010, 11:39 AM
I agree - I love a dash full of dials, but as Knot 4 Me said they are notorious for being inaccurate. If I had the room on the dash, I'd do both analog and some sort of Vessel View display, be it via Merc or Garmin interface. There is something about being plugged into the main harness that makes me feel like the info being delivered is accurate. But then again, I'm a software guy - so maybe it's just my background that makes me see it that way!? I did notice that the ad on the back page of this months Powerboat has a pic of a Cig dash and they installed Smart Craft gauges in that boat. I thought I heard somewhere that they are made by VDO and OEM'd out... and I was also told they are about as accurate as a "manual" gauge can get. Just my .02

PM203
02-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Who needs accuracy? How far could a gauge be off? Not enough to make a difference to the average performance boater.

Knot 4 Me
02-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Who needs accuracy? How far could a gauge be off? Not enough to make a difference to the average performance boater.New Livorsi gauges. Tachs were 300 RPM off each other. Water pressure off by several PSI. Oil pressure off several psi from each other. Oil temp was pretty close. Boost pretty close. Volts pretty close. Vessel View let you know which gauges were most correct. I agree for the most part it does not make much difference as long as they read consistantly right or wrong. However, on the tachs if you are trying to dial in props you really need to know exactly how many RPM you are turning.

PM203
02-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Agreed on the rpm's.

DoTheMath
02-17-2010, 02:23 PM
My feeling is that the more accurate the info, the sooner you can detect a potential issue, accurately, esp. oil and water pressure. I'm not saying you can't get by with "close enough" but, even closer should be typically better...

DollaBill
02-17-2010, 02:31 PM
"My feeling is that the more accurate the info, the sooner you can detect a potential issue, accurately, esp. oil and water pressure. I'm not saying you can't get by with "close enough" but, even closer should be typically better..."

I will agree there. But, in addition to gauges I 've had smartcraft monitoring too. So that solves that issue

DoTheMath
02-17-2010, 03:10 PM
I will agree there. But, in addition to gauges I 've had smartcraft monitoring too. So that solves that issue

For sure - the best of both worlds...

jhenrie
02-17-2010, 03:24 PM
I like big gauges, but with a twist. I like them rotated so that normal operating range/temp etc, the needle points straight up. A simple glance an you know something isn't right, also if there is a problem, it will catch your eye quicker. I also like a big shielded fom sun/glare multipurpose idiot light to catch your eye.

I used to do that for all the porsche race guys in the old 911s . Big tach in the cener turned so redline was @ 12 o clock.

Slandrew
02-17-2010, 03:56 PM
I used to do that for all the porsche race guys in the old 911s . Big tach in the cener turned so redline was @ 12 o clock.

Cool ya learn somthing new every day :iagree:I updated my dash to white a few years back looks nice but stock Fountain black less glare&easy read guages on original dash compared to updated dash:rolleyes: !Also steering wheel blocks view of guages where stock they were configured different!:beatdeadhorse5:Apache on right has nice layout

PM203
02-17-2010, 04:35 PM
My feeling is that the more accurate the info, the sooner you can detect a potential issue, accurately, esp. oil and water pressure. I'm not saying you can't get by with "close enough" but, even closer should be typically better...

Who says that digital would be more accurate? Digital can be out of calibration as well. I would imagine that digital would be more accurate, but who really knows, unless you calibrated it yourself?

glh
02-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Yup

DoTheMath
02-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Who says that digital would be more accurate? Digital can be out of calibration as well. I would imagine that digital would be more accurate, but who really knows, unless you calibrated it yourself?

Very true - I was just comparing something like Vessel View to a pure analog gauge. But I suppose depending on the means of delivery to the VV, it could be wrong as well? I guess the only real way to know when you are in trouble is when something goes "boom" - then you look at your gauges and see where they are at!? ;)

Slandrew
02-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Who says that digital would be more accurate? Digital can be out of calibration as well. I would imagine that digital would be more accurate, but who really knows, unless you calibrated it yourself?The wireless water pressure must be great I have to blow mine out every year:(

LittleDcsRodShop
02-18-2010, 02:30 AM
If I built a new "whatever" right now, be it a boat, a rod, a race car, a bike, or a motorized liter box there is no doubt it would have dials on it !! I've never been a fan of anything digital but the thermostate in my house & thats pushing it.. :sifone:

I love to see a dash full of gauges,, not saying they have to be in the headrest of every seat next to a seperate gps, or recessed in the bulheads of the cabin, but I do like a good bit of gauges.. What I'm saying "in my opinion" is a little blend is ok if its done right.. key word being "little"

old377guy
02-18-2010, 07:20 PM

You beat me to it; when I used to race cars that's that way we tried to set up our gauges.

Cash Bar
02-18-2010, 10:30 PM
All of you old school guys kill me. I understand "TO EACH HIS OWN" but, Really??

How can you like that old crap over something like the new OL or Statement! dashes?

Team Tsunami
02-18-2010, 10:37 PM
All of you old school guys kill me. I understand "TO EACH HIS OWN" but, Really??

How can you like that old crap over something like the new OL or Statement! dashes?

Im with you Cash! MTI is another who i've seen use the digital gauges with very few real gauges. The RacePax's are very sweet!!

C_Spray
02-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Ilmor's working on a digital dash with an "analog gauge" page, so you get both the round dial/needle pointer look and digital accuracy. Lot of chartplotters already offer this option for any NMEA2000-compliant engine.

PM203
02-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Because the old crap looks better in some of our opinions. I like the new stuff as well, but you just cannot beat rows of gauges.

Scarab KV
02-19-2010, 12:33 PM

Digital didn't last long in trucking. Couldn't stand up to the pounding and vibration.
And ya...I like rows and rows of gauges and maybe a few toggles too:D

Cash Bar
02-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Because the old crap looks better in some of our opinions. I like the new stuff as well, but you just cannot beat rows of gauges.

That's why I posted the TO EACH HIS OWN. It's definitely cool either way. I just like the 21st Century way.

PM203
02-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Could digital be a fad or is it here to stay?

Audiofn
02-19-2010, 02:20 PM
For sure - the best of both worlds...

Mark I have the solution for you!

DoTheMath
02-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Mark I have the solution for you!

I'm almost afraid to ask Jon but... what would that be? ;)

Sean H
02-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Could digital be a fad or is it here to stay?

I don't think it is a fad. I think you will see as the engines step over into full digital controls (ie Merc 1350) you will see more and more of a digital interface in the cockpit.

I will buy the arguement if you want true mechanical gauges, but if you just want a dash full of gauges piggy backed off the smartcraft, why not just display a virtual gauge on a Garmin or the like? Smartcraft monitors the vitals faster and more accurately than you can anyway, the gauges are there just for looks basically.

I don't think Livorsi or anybody is going to stop making gauges either, but look for more high tech gauges like their prop slip/gps gauge.

Audiofn
02-19-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm almost afraid to ask Jon but... what would that be? ;)

Don't be afraid to ask. I have a converter that takes the analog feeds from your guages and you can feed that to you NEAMA devices (GPS, Touch Screen....)

DoTheMath
02-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Don't be afraid to ask. I have a converter that takes the analog feeds from your guages and you can feed that to you NEAMA devices (GPS, Touch Screen....)

HA! I thought you were just going to be a smart azz! ;):D I read you had something you were working on along these lines - when will it be ready for the general public!?

Audiofn
02-19-2010, 04:49 PM
HA! I thought you were just going to be a smart azz! ;):D I read you had something you were working on along these lines - when will it be ready for the general public!?

Ready for a boat now. Just need my first victim! :D The good thing with this set up is you leave your old guages in the dash if you want. So you can tie into them up there. Then you calibrate and off you go.

Pictures are:
1) Daytime layout. This can be changed up any way you want.
2) Nighttime layout. This can be changed any way you want
3) If you have a touch screen it can turn on your lights, bilge pumps, stereo....
4) Monitoring fuel/water tanks.....

It works very well and if fairly affordable.

Slandrew
02-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Digital didn't last long in trucking. Couldn't stand up to the pounding and vibration.
And ya...I like rows and rows of gauges and maybe a few toggles too:DYea what he said:cheers2:

DollaBill
02-19-2010, 05:10 PM
looks like........................................... digital sucks:sifone::smash:

Geronimo36
02-19-2010, 05:43 PM

I've seen some guys turn their gauges so that when they are running, all the needles point straight up and are all equal... If one of the needles isn't straight up you know you got a problem! :cheers2:

I'm not a fan of this digital thing either... Not really into smartcraft either.... Was on a boat this past summer that had smartcraft combined with gauges and it was amazing how different the readings were on the smart craft vs. the gauges....

Sean H
02-19-2010, 05:56 PM
I've seen some guys turn their gauges so that when they are running, all the needles point straight up and are all equal... If one of the needles isn't straight up you know you got a problem! :cheers2:

I'm not a fan of this digital thing either... Not really into smartcraft either.... Was on a boat this past summer that had smartcraft combined with gauges and it was amazing how different the readings were on the smart craft vs. the gauges....

Were they mechanical gauges or just fed off the smartcraft harness?

Dreamer
02-19-2010, 07:42 PM

acid wash tapered jeans and white tennis shoes...

ill take smart craft, a big honking gps/simulated gauges/ telemetry, motec dash please...

not accurate? worked in all of my race cars run WAY HARDER than a boat(20k rebuild after 500 miles)

formula one and inycars must be wrong

:drool5:

oh wait... i dont even have a boat

nevermind pay no attention to me

Slandrew
02-19-2010, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=Dreamer;443379]acid wash tapered jeans and white tennis shoes...

ill take smart craft, a big honking gps/simulated gauges/ telemetry, motec dash please...

not accurate? worked in all of my race cars run WAY HARDER than a boat(20k rebuild after 500 miles)

:drool5:Do they bounce around much?:confused:

Uncle Dave
02-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Whats wrong with a hybrid of both?

Most guys here dont seem to actually go anywhere overnight, at night, or in anything but perfect weather or Id see way more radars than I do.

Whats also kind of strange to me is that I also see a lot of really low end electronics on seriously high end rigs.

I love the big gauges and prefer to see a needle sweep to a digital readout anyday, but if you cant see a radar/gps/AIS display in front of you you arent going anywhere in the fog or at night in any kind of traffic.

Uncle Dave

Dreamer
02-20-2010, 12:36 AM
[QUOTE=Dreamer;443379]acid wash tapered jeans and white tennis shoes...

:drool5:Do they bounce around much?:confused:

um bounce around? an indycar or F1 car? r u joking? WAY more severe than in a boat... the harmonics and vibrations in a stressed chassis car are insane... they r just engineered and installed properly.... not rigged... just screwed in a dash with a loom neatly wired

Uncle Dave
02-20-2010, 01:32 AM
I don't think it is a fad. I think you will see as the engines step over into full digital controls (ie Merc 1350) you will see more and more of a digital interface in the cockpit.

I will buy the arguement if you want true mechanical gauges, but if you just want a dash full of gauges piggy backed off the smartcraft, why not just display a virtual gauge on a Garmin or the like? Smartcraft monitors the vitals faster and more accurately than you can anyway, the gauges are there just for looks basically.

I don't think Livorsi or anybody is going to stop making gauges either, but look for more high tech gauges like their prop slip/gps gauge.

Agreed its no fad, the NMEA 2000 protocol has made a wide variety of accessories available even mercury is off smartcraft and onto the more widely industry accepted nmea 2K standard, as well as fully digital dashboards and well certainly see more digitally driven analog faced gauges and displays driven off this and GPS data.

The boat in you photo attached looks awesome but I would not want a screen only dash- what if an electrical problem takes the screen out? - or maybe all of them?

You can route NMEA 2000 to the screens as a primary data feed - but have mechanical backups as well- even a few quad Livorsi's.

Uncle Dave

Jesse James
02-20-2010, 01:51 AM
I am with dolla on this and apparently serveral others...I prefer the look of the gauges... i like the smart craft in the race boat, but still prefer the tachs and heads up trim indicaters in the 388.... the next one I do for myself will be all liquid filled true mechanicals and pointed to a 12 o clock position for a safety glance.... i think it looks cool, it is easier to see at a glance, and if I have non boaters with me i can tell them they all need to be at 12 o clock and that is something they can help with and understand...

Scarab KV
02-20-2010, 11:27 AM
I am with dolla on this and apparently serveral others...I prefer the look of the gauges... i like the smart craft in the race boat, but still prefer the tachs and heads up trim indicaters in the 388.... the next one I do for myself will be all liquid filled true mechanicals and pointed to a 12 o clock position for a safety glance.... i think it looks cool, it is easier to see at a glance, and if I have non boaters with me i can tell them they all need to be at 12 o clock and that is something they can help with and understand...

True mechanics is the only way. My Pete that I drive now has all electronic gauges and they suck. Fuel is always off by 25-50 gallons, no fluctuation in oil psi with deceleration or use of the engine brake, no change in water temp on hard pulls, etc, etc. When they do finally show a change, it's like a drastic update instead of actual gradual change. Just not real impressed.

Uncle Dave
02-21-2010, 02:28 PM
True mechanics is the only way. My Pete that I drive now has all electronic gauges and they suck. Fuel is always off by 25-50 gallons, no fluctuation in oil psi with deceleration or use of the engine brake, no change in water temp on hard pulls, etc, etc. When they do finally show a change, it's like a drastic update instead of actual gradual change. Just not real impressed.

The behavior you describe I would associate with the quality of the sending units being used vs. the actual gauge.

Sounds like cheap senders and or maybe a computer that doesn't have enough free cycles to drive the displays causing chunking. Ive seen what you describe with early 8 bit auto style cpus.

I think you got a bad implementation of the technology.

UD

MacGyver
02-21-2010, 04:33 PM
nothing like this, which is what it should look like

Wow, I counted 36. Thats allot of gauges to keep track of.

Scarab KV
02-21-2010, 04:40 PM
The behavior you describe I would associate with the quality of the sending units being used vs. the actual gauge.

Sounds like cheap senders and or maybe a computer that doesn't have enough free cycles to drive the displays causing chunking. Ive seen what you describe with early 8 bit auto style cpus.

I think you got a bad implementation of the technology.

UD

Both Petes I've driven since comming back in June were like that.

Uncle Dave
02-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Both Petes I've driven since comming back in June were like that.

Sounds like a weak/poor implementation of the technology- I would not be happy with the type of performance you are describing either.

UD