View Full Version : Cat Can Do Crash

boatme
02-16-2010, 01:46 PM
This was quite a few years ago but great footage

Nice Shot of Rich Luhrs as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W_MslE5ntE

THEJOKER
02-16-2010, 01:56 PM
I was there and remember that day well. We all brought in our share of crab pots! I miss Rich and the Speed Channel TV Shows!

stainless
02-16-2010, 09:22 PM
I was there and remember that day well. I miss Rich and the Speed Channel TV Shows!
Us too, we blew a connecting rod out the side of the block on a 2.5 merc ! :driving: Hated seeing pieces of cat can do coming back to the dock! Glad they were ok though!:cheers2:

THEJOKER
02-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Us too, we blew a connecting rod out the side of the block on a 2.5 merc ! :driving: Hated seeing pieces of cat can do coming back to the dock! Glad they were ok though!:cheers2:

We partied and crashed in the cabin of Reggie's new 65 cruiser - haha. Those were good times!

Ratickle
02-16-2010, 09:26 PM
I remember Barry talking about going back out to run the next time. It was good to see them in St Clair this past year and running well.

Offshore Ginger
02-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Mark you dawggggg sure brings back alot of memories and all the years i crewed with them and working for Baker Eng doing the repairs and salvage on the old Jelly Belly Gone Again and Carlos N Charlies X-TREAME . Mark ,great stuff and do you remember this ........... Midget racer ? :bump:

Offshore Ginger
02-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Mark you must be really cleaning house !:seeya::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Matt Trulio
02-16-2010, 10:51 PM
I watched it from the shore, too. At the time, it was one of the gnarliest wrecks I'd seen. I couldn't believe they walked away from it.

What I remember most is the noise. Boats that big make a big noise when they hit the water that hard.

boatme
02-17-2010, 07:49 AM
Mark you dawggggg sure brings back alot of memories and all the years i crewed with them and working for Baker Eng doing the repairs and salvage on the old Jelly Belly Gone Again and Carlos N Charlies X-TREAME . Mark ,great stuff and do you remember this ........... Midget racer ? :bump:

If you rremeber i used to stop by and see you guys working on the Jelly Belly boat

Yea i remeber the day I gave Keith the Nic Name "Midget Racer" he was not to fond of it but it seemd to fit and it is funny how many people now refer to him that way

Yea been cleaning out some drawers and posting stuff i havent looked at in years

I have the vidieo of the little cat can do going over in Canada as well i just cant find it righ now

I showed it to Mark Polker last summer It was the first time he had seen it. he couldnt believe how bad he and Dave flew when they went out of the boat

MOBILEMERCMAN
02-17-2010, 08:40 AM
No body mentioned they won the race the following day.

T2x
02-17-2010, 09:41 AM
I was there and remember that day well. We all brought in our share of crab pots! I miss Rich and the Speed Channel TV Shows!

Thanks

I miss the crab pots...........

P.S. In spite of the quote about "backing out of the throttles"...... the rooster tails never dropped. When the video piece starts....the hull is already well past the point of no return.....and the engines are still at full song.

boostbros
02-17-2010, 09:42 AM
i remember keith holmes in the early 90s running ahsta la vista in the powerboat canada poker runs we were running a 4 engine 30 shadow cat named fore play

cowisl
02-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks

P.S. In spite of the quote about "backing out of the throttles"...... the rooster tails never dropped. When the video piece starts....the hull is already well past the point of no return.....and the engines are still at full song.

Looks like they got real lucky to me. I remember you showing us that vid at Skaterfest.

Mike A.
02-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks

Exactly...Bottomline Rich is that we did produce some damn good TV! That whole feature was one of my favorite segments of all time.

boatme
02-17-2010, 10:48 AM
No body mentioned they won the race the following day.

Yes they did but they also won from attrition the two other boats they were racing against did not finish so Cat Can Do won the race as the only one left underway Still a win though

boatme
02-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Rich your efforts over the years are missed

you could always recognize your voice and speedvision always had great coverage

ahh the good old days

Offshore Ginger
02-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Mark i do remember you dropping by when we were working on Jelly Belly and i also remember seeing you quite often later in the afternoons at Skater when i was there. Mark , just curious when was the last time you've seen Keith ?

T2x
02-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Exactly...Bottomline Rich is that we did produce some damn good TV! That whole feature was one of my favorite segments of all time.

I guess that was before I became obsolete....... :p :D

In truth, the funniest moments were in the recording booth when (unbelievably!!!!!) Reggie couldn't think of anything to say!!!!!!. Somehow Dick and I had to become spontaneous script writers for the most verbose guy in the boating world.

boatme
02-17-2010, 11:50 AM
I guess that was before I became obsolete....... :p :D

Rich more like ICONIC LOL :willy_nilly:

Rich if asked to comentate again, would you ???

boatme
02-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Mark i do remember you dropping by when we were working on Jelly Belly and i also remember seeing you quite often later in the afternoons at Skater when i was there. Mark , just curious when was the last time you've seen Keith ?

The Midget racer actualy lives with his girlfriend 3 blocks away from me I see them go by once in a while but i have not been on speaking terms with him in years

T2x
02-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Rich your efforts over the years are missed

Thanks...a lot of people missed me back in the day as well......

No matter how many times they shot....I was always gone before the bullets got there.

Seriously, I appreciate all the kind words, but the real "stars" of that segment....were in the boat.

Funny thing is, if they hadn't flipped, only a handful of folks would remember the run. Another interesting point is the fact that Pat Patel and Doug Lewis had a somewhat similar hull and managed to blow that baby over while testing in Barnegat Bay. This was just about the time when the horsepower and boat weight curves intersected at Backflip Boulevard and Oh Sh*t Avenue.

T2x
02-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Rich more like ICONIC LOL :willy_nilly:

Rich if asked to comentate again, would you ???

The last time I tried to "comentate", the wires broke and I fell back onto the magician's table. But! I would be glad to provide voice over work or live to tape helicopter announcing under the right circum$tance$.... ;)

boatme
02-17-2010, 12:01 PM

I still see Barry from time to time

I stop at his shop when i am out in the Boonies :)

Offshore Ginger
02-17-2010, 03:16 PM
I still see Barry from time to time

I stop at his shop when i am out in the Boonies :)The boonies is right and has he cleaned the place up at all .

cowisl
02-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks...a lot of people missed me back in the day as well......

No matter how many times they shot....I was always gone before the bullets got there.

Seriously, I appreciate all the kind words, but the real "stars" of that segment....were in the boat.

Funny thing is, if they hadn't flipped, only a handful of folks would remember the run. Another interesting point is the fact that Pat Patel and Doug Lewis had a somewhat similar hull and managed to blow that baby over while testing in Barnegat Bay. This was just about the time when the horsepower and boat weight curves intersected at Backflip Boulevard and Oh Sh*t Avenue.

Werent the trim switches backwards?

T2x
02-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Werent the trim switches backwards?

Not the trim...I think it was the tunnel tab switch or indicator orientation. In any event something was bad wrong in the information relayed to Doug and Patrick in the cockpit, but my point is that a few years earlier the hulls were heavier and the speeds almost too low to execute a back flip in a cat....with a few notable exceptions of course. In the early days cat accidents tended to be "stuffs". As speeds increased the barrel roll was added to the menu. Finally the hulls were able to launch like an OPC tunnel boat as seen in the above video.

(I know there was that one spectacular blowover in an inlet with an early wooden Cougar with a poor unsuspecting boating writer on board, but that was an exception at the time).

T2x

cowisl
02-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Not the trim...I think it was the tunnel tab switch or indicator orientation. In any event something was bad wrong in the information relayed to Doug and Patrick in the cockpit, but my point is that a few years earlier the hulls were heavier and the speeds almost too low to execute a back flip in a cat....with a few notable exceptions of course. In the early days cat accidents tended to be "stuffs". As speeds increased the barrel roll was added to the menu. Finally the hulls were able to launch like an OPC tunnel boat as seen in the above video.

(I know there was that one spectacular blowover in an inlet with an early wooden Cougar with a poor unsuspecting boating writer on board, but that was an exception at the time).

T2x

Gotcha...

boatme
02-20-2010, 02:41 PM
I dont think the crab pots did it LOL

FunHome
02-20-2010, 03:01 PM
If you rremeber i used to stop by and see you guys working on the Jelly Belly boat

Yea i remeber the day I gave Keith the Nic Name "Midget Racer" he was not to fond of it but it seemd to fit and it is funny how many people now refer to him that way

Yea been cleaning out some drawers and posting stuff i havent looked at in years

I have the vidieo of the little cat can do going over in Canada as well i just cant find it righ now

I showed it to Mark Polker last summer It was the first time he had seen it. he couldnt believe how bad he and Dave flew when they went out of the boat

I'd like to see the video of the outboard Cat Can Do when it went over in Canada. I was there and watched it happen. I remember after the flip the other boats kept coming and only saw the boat floating in the water and steered clear of it but that put them right on top of the guys in the water!! That was a scary thing to watch!! Thank god they didn't get run over!!

boatme
02-20-2010, 03:05 PM
I'd like to see the video of the outboard Cat Can Do when it went over in Canada. I was there and watched it happen. I remember after the flip the other boats kept coming and only saw the boat floating in the water and steered clear of it but that put them right on top of the guys in the water!! That was a scary thing to watch!! Thank god they didn't get run over!!

i was looking this morning for it I have it i just need to find it

shadowcat
02-20-2010, 05:56 PM
I was there also and saw it live - it was amazing no one got killed as the boats drove by- find the video and post it if you have it- it would be good to see again !

shadowcat
02-20-2010, 06:03 PM
keith if you are on here???? -pm me when you get a chance

Ted

Offshore Ginger
02-20-2010, 09:06 PM
keith if you are on here???? -pm me when you get a chance

TedTed , did you not own a 24 Skater at one time ?