PDA

View Full Version : Low Tox boat soap not so Low Tox?

GregP
02-13-2010, 10:04 PM
My daughters science fair project for this year is to use daphnia (water fleas) to text the toxicity of compounds that often end up in the water system: normal and "boat" antifreeze, car soap and low-tox "boat" soap, herbacide, and some road water run-off samples.

So far the low tox "boat" soap isn't looking too good. In all the test concentrations it killed the daphnia within minutes, they are so far doing ok in the other soap and even in the antifreeze and herbacide samples. Will be doing (and reporting) on another test sequence next week but so far the "enviromentally safe" boat soap is a killer:smash:

-Greg

fund razor
02-14-2010, 10:02 AM
I did the same science fair project when I was a kid, except I used household compounds. 7th grade, I think. :D

It was the 70s, and the zoo gave me the daphnia.

My results were that everything killed daphnia. :D :D

Ratickle
02-14-2010, 10:16 AM
My results were that everything killed daphnia. :D :D

Told you not to pee in the pool......:eek:

GregP
02-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Not everything. So far marine antifreeze has a slight edge over car antifreeze at the lower concentrations. I'm going to keep using Vodka and not the "pink" antifreeze in the boats water system to winterize, but I suppose at a high enough concentration Vodka might do in the daphnia too.

-g.

fund razor
02-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Coffee killed them really well. Aspirins didn't help. :)