PDA

View Full Version : aronow powerboats history?

Jesse James
02-11-2010, 09:48 PM
since the turbine thread was so informative, a friend and I were discussing this last night...

were aronow powerboats ( 39 and 45) founded or in the design stages before dons passing?

if not who spearheaded the project, and who was building the boats in 90

is the 39 aronow a top gun with platform or a dammed 41 apache, or an original?

did magic make any changes to the running surface after getting the 39 tooling?

thanks

Jesse James
02-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Ttt

CRC
02-13-2010, 04:28 PM
They claimed that Don designed the original model before his death. Don Aronow did not have anything to do with this company though and it is not considered an Aronow company such as Donzi, Cigarette and Formula. It seems to be more of an attempt to capitalize on Don Aronow's name. I am not an expert on this though.....

Sean Stinson
02-14-2010, 10:20 AM
It didn't actually become Aronow Powerboats until after Don's death....It was USA racing team....The 45 was to be Don's new raceboat upon his return to racing that year or the following!!!

Garbrecht ran Aronow Powerboats until they shut it down in the 90's and the molds were sold to Magic EXCEPT for the 45 mold which had an insert to build a 42 as well as 2 deck molds which Garbrecht kept and sold at a later time.....

MidOcean
02-14-2010, 08:18 PM
It didn't actually become Aronow Powerboats until after Don's death....It was USA racing team....The 45 was to be Don's new raceboat upon his return to racing that year or the following!!!

Garbrecht ran Aronow Powerboats until they shut it down in the 90's and the molds were sold to Magic EXCEPT for the 45 mold which had an insert to build a 42 as well as 2 deck molds which Garbrecht kept and sold at a later time.....

Pretty much hits it... Let me add CRC that Gary Garbrecht, the co-founder of Fountain Powerboats and founder of Second Effort doesn't need anyone's name to add credibility to any of his projects.

PS... I should have bought Rick Conti's 42... still kicking my self on that one.

CRC
02-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Let me add CRC that Gary Garbrecht, the co-founder of Fountain Powerboats and founder of Second Effort doesn't need anyone's name to add credibility to any of his projects.

I don't believe that Gary was one of the founders of Aronow Powerboats. If indeed he was, and he named the company, then why didn't he name it Garbrecht Powerboats? The name "Aronow Powerboats" was a blatant attempt to capitalize on Don Aronow's name. I can't find it but I believe that Don's son, Michael Aronow, has gone on record saying as much.

MidOcean
02-15-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't believe that Gary was one of the founders of Aronow Powerboats. If indeed he was, and he named the company, then why didn't he name it Garbrecht Powerboats? The name "Aronow Powerboats" was a blatant attempt to capitalize on Don Aronow's name. I can't find it but I believe that Don's son, Michael Aronow, has gone on record saying as much.

First, I never said that Gary was the founder of Aronow.. He was the co-Founder of Fountain and the founder of Second effort. Gary took Aronow(called USA racing at the time) over and kept it running for a while... A company that was mostly Don's creation... what a better tribute which is what I think you will find, Gary's intent was... As for capitalizing on the Aronow name.... I think it's safe to say that it didn't do much for both Gary's or David's ventures. If you recall, David tried to capitalize on his Dad's name and built a 32' side console open fish, similar to the 28. He borrowed Byngs 32' Midnight Express hull mold and made a new deck plug... hired Jay Buscigleo to market the boats... after investing a ton of money I think they sold 2 boats... Now the molds are with MarK at Apache.

CRC
02-16-2010, 09:03 AM
First, I never said that Gary was the founder of Aronow.. He was the co-Founder of Fountain and the founder of Second effort. Gary took Aronow(called USA racing at the time) over and kept it running for a while... A company that was mostly Don's creation... what a better tribute which is what I think you will find, Gary's intent was... As for capitalizing on the Aronow name.... I think it's safe to say that it didn't do much for both Gary's or David's ventures. If you recall, David tried to capitalize on his Dad's name and built a 32' side console open fish, similar to the 28. He borrowed Byngs 32' Midnight Express hull mold and made a new deck plug... hired Jay Buscigleo to market the boats... after investing a ton of money I think they sold 2 boats... Now the molds are with MarK at Apache.

OK, it's hard to find info on the history of Aronow Powerboats except for the little bit that has come out here. I have, however, discussed this on other forums and the concensus seems to be that it is not a Don Aronow company. Don had a hand in a lot of projects other than his own companies including McCarthy's Banana Boats. (or something like that!)

MidOcean
02-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Good luck with your search. If you want to read about a fictionalized version of what happened you might want to check out: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mid-Ocean/207834942743?ref=ts

Best wishes,

T.

Slandrew
02-16-2010, 08:11 PM
I know they built a few small cats.

CRC
02-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Good luck with your search. If you want to read about a fictionalized version of what happened you might want to check out: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mid-Ocean/207834942743?ref=ts

Best wishes,

T.

I'm not interested in fiction. What do you know about Aronow Powerboats? Seriously. (I did become a "fan" of your facebook page)

scippy
02-16-2010, 10:35 PM

did magic make any changes to the running surface after getting the 39 tooling?

thanks

Sooooooooooo, can anybody answer the questions above??? I'm interested in a 1990 deep "V" 37 Aronow (39'w/platform).I'm just guessing that the molds were approved before Don A. passed and G Garbrecht simply passed it from USA racing team to the new Aronow powerboats

olli
02-17-2010, 05:36 AM
I don't get it! Why don't you all ever post any pics:cuss:

http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/81/size/big/cat/

http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/76/size/big/cat/

http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/82/size/big/cat/

http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/80/size/big/cat/

http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/75/size/big/cat/

http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/125/size/big/cat/

http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/73/size/big/cat/

http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/122/size/big/cat/

MidOcean
02-17-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm not interested in fiction. What do you know about Aronow Powerboats? Seriously. (I did become a "fan" of your facebook page)

Ask a question and I might be able to answer it. My personal vehicle has an aronow tag on it so I'm obviously a bigger fan than most. I know that Pantera at one time was going to build the wide body 47. The 42 is the 41 Apache with a small 1" step and large side vents. I almost bought Texas Thunder... a great boat and built almost entirely of carbon G. and Kevlar. I ran a lot of 39' cats... very stable platform but a slug when it came to speed.

Some of the molds ended up at Challenger Offshore...

A member of the Royal family was killed in a 39... what else do you want to know?...

MidOcean
02-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Sooooooooooo, can anybody answer the questions above??? I'm interested in a 1990 deep "V" 37 Aronow (39'w/platform).I'm just guessing that the molds were approved before Don A. passed and G Garbrecht simply passed it from USA racing team to the new Aronow powerboats

Which boat? The red one? Great deal if that's the boat. Yes to all you mentioned... The wind break was a collaboration of Don and Alan Brown.

Jesse James
02-17-2010, 10:46 PM
here is some info that i have been told...

straighened out top gun bottom with wider strakes, lighter layup 64-67 mph with the 420 trs pkg 750 #3 package was tested by nordskog.... anyone have that old issue of powerboat, also only 6 37/39's made

TGC-32
02-17-2010, 11:23 PM
I sold a few of these in the early 90's (we were a dealer for Aronow Powerboats). There is no way the 37' did anywhere near 65 mph with the 420 TRS package. I would say 60 mph max on a good day! It really needed big power to get it going, but they were built like tanks, with a very high level of appointment and finish. Byng Goode was running the production.

The 47' with GM 8V-92 diesels and Arneson drives was really the most impressive of all the boats. It would hit mid 50's with ten people on board! They built a few with 1000 HP MAN diesels that would hit 70 MPH, but they were way over-powered and poorly balanced.

Garbrecht ran the company for a middle-east consortium that bought it from Aronow's widow. They basically shut it down after a few years of slow sales (remember this was the "luxury tax" years).

They didn't build a lot of boats, but if you can get your hands on one they were so well built IMHO that it should be a fairly easy restoration.

Tom
Total Marine

Pete
02-18-2010, 12:27 AM
The 47 were being rigged for milatary use when I saw them after they moved to Sanford Fl. Very cool stuff.

olli
02-18-2010, 04:06 AM
The 47 were being rigged for milatary use when I saw them after they moved to Sanford Fl. Very cool stuff.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff120/oli5400/aronow47fci.jpg

CRC
02-18-2010, 09:20 AM
MidOcean, was Mr. Garbrecht a founder of Aronow Powerboats? Here is an ad from the July, 1989 issue of "Boating".

Brownie
02-18-2010, 10:14 AM
We have the head mechanic, Nick Miller, up here building steam engines with Harry Schoell and me.

FastDonzi
02-18-2010, 10:42 AM
We have the head mechanic, Nick Miller, up here building steam engines with Harry Schoell and me.

Really? Tell Nick I said Hey:seeya: Coolest MF'r Ever (Beside Brownie).

MidOcean
02-18-2010, 12:35 PM
MidOcean, was Mr. Garbrecht a founder of Aronow Powerboats? Here is an ad from the July, 1989 issue of "Boating".

No, Gary did not found Aronow Powerboats. A group of investors took the company over and, along with Gary ran it as Aronow Powerboats. Here is the raw data and all the names involved.

Foreign Profit Corporation
ARONOW POWERBOATS INC.
Filing Information
Document Number P16601
FEI/EIN Number 650011818
Date Filed 10/29/1987
State DE
Status INACTIVE
Last Event ADMIN DISSOLUTION FOR ANNUAL REPORT
Event Date Filed 10/09/1992
Event Effective Date NONE
Principal Address
500 SILVER LAKE RD
SANFORD FL 32773
Changed 05/13/1991
Mailing Address
500 SILVER LAKE RD
SANFORD FL 32773
Changed 05/13/1991
Registered Agent Name & Address
CORPORATION SERVICE COMPANY
1201 HAYS STREET
TALLAHASSEE FL 32301
Name Changed: 04/13/1992
Address Changed: 04/13/1992
Officer/Director Detail
Name & Address
Title PD
WILLIAMS, JOHN
500 SILVER LAKE RD
SANFORD FL
Title VST
DIAMOND, DOUG
500 SILVER LAKE RD
SANFORD FL
Title V
VERTIN, THOMAS
500 SILVER LAKE RD
SANFORD FL
Title V
GERAGHTY, KERRY
500 SILVER LAKE RD
SANFORD FL
Annual Reports
Report Year Filed Date
1989 03/02/1989
1990 09/04/1990
1991 05/13/1991

Shawn
02-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Mr. MidOcean, you sure know a lot of stuff! I appreciate your input. Also, I read the book. Excellent reading!
Thank You,
Shawn

MidOcean
02-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Mr. MidOcean, you sure know a lot of stuff! I appreciate your input. Also, I read the book. Excellent reading!
Thank You,
Shawn

Thanks Shawn. It means a lot. Best wishes.

CRC
02-18-2010, 06:38 PM
It IS good stuff. As a Donzi owner and admirer of Don Aronow I am interested in anything Aronow!

Hey Brownie, tell us a story!!

scippy
02-18-2010, 08:33 PM

Just wonder if these molds were his own to sell -or- in the behalf of others

scippy
02-18-2010, 08:41 PM

Not sure when this 4-sale went out

Bobby Sheer
02-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Harbor 1 was a dealer for Aronow Powerboats. Keith Hazell and I were involved in the Gucci Aronow for some people from the Middle East if I remember. Everything on the boat was gold plated, and I mean everything. What a cluster ____!! Had 572's and 3's if I'm not mistaken.

Pete
02-19-2010, 02:35 AM

863 wasn't a S FLA area code. Was Gary involved with the Propeller shop in Lake Hamilton? Think it was Mach Propellers. Think that was thier old number.

olli
02-19-2010, 02:38 AM
Harbor 1 was a dealer for Aronow Powerboats. Keith Hazell and I were involved in the Gucci Aronow for some people from the Middle East if I remember. Everything on the boat was gold plated, and I mean everything. What a cluster ____!! Had 572's and 3's if I'm not mistaken.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff120/oli5400/gg001.jpg

CRC
02-19-2010, 09:53 AM

No disrespect intended for Gary Garbrecht, who is no longer with us, but how could those have been called "Don Aronow molds"? My understanding is that Don only had a hand in designing the one original model; The 37 I believe. It sure looks like an attempt to profit from Don's name. Especially if he had nothing to do with those boats which molds were for sale.:confused:

Brownie
02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
The money behind Aronow Powerboats was already there at the time of his demise. The company was formed to get some of it back. Investors were middle east.

OneBadInjun
02-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Harbor 1 was a dealer for Aronow Powerboats. Keith Hazell and I were involved in the Gucci Aronow for some people from the Middle East if I remember. Everything on the boat was gold plated, and I mean everything. What a cluster ____!! Had 572's and 3's if I'm not mistaken.I remember the Gucci boat. Absolutely unbelievable. And all the promo & boat show booth stuff to along with it. You won't ever see one like that again.

Pete
02-19-2010, 12:42 PM

No disrespect intended for Gary Garbrecht, who is no longer with us, but how could those have been called "Don Aronow molds"? My understanding is that Don only had a hand in designing the one original model; The 37 I believe. It sure looks like an attempt to profit from Don's name. Especially if he had nothing to do with those boats which molds were for sale.:confused:

His no compete clause was about to expire a month after his murder. He was working on getting ready to get back in building V bottom boats again. Even talk about getting back in a race boat. His wife and son kept the project going in the beginning.

MidOcean
02-19-2010, 01:03 PM
863 wasn't a S FLA area code. Was Gary involved with the Propeller shop in Lake Hamilton? Think it was Mach Propellers. Think that was thier old number.

Sanford, Fl... Not s. fla. Second Effort/ Mach.. same thing, right?

MidOcean
02-19-2010, 01:09 PM

Truth be known, Don didn't "design" a whole lot of anything... Sure he was the force behind the ventures, had the conceptual ideas, but without guys like Brownie, Jean Claude, Jim Wynn and many others there would be no Cigarette, Donzi, Formula...etc.

MidOcean
02-19-2010, 01:12 PM

Eric Froberg, a former partner of mine, rigged the boat. He told me once that you guys bought some tools and dipped them all in liquid rubber to protect the gold.. cool stuff

Pete
02-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Sanford, Fl... Not s. fla. Second Effort/ Mach.. same thing, right?

Sanford was a 407 area code. 863 was a Lake Hamiltion area code. That's what made me wonder. We used to go done there for prop testing. They would let you buy a prop and if it didn't work good for your application they would take it back and give you a different design.

My freinds brother relocted with Aronow Powerboats from S Fl to Sanford. So we spent alot of time there.

Just seemed strange that the ad posted had a 863 area code.

Steve 1
02-19-2010, 11:49 PM
Second effort handled the arneson equipment also.

JO - PANTERABOAT
02-20-2010, 01:21 AM

We have been friends for way over 30 years and I have always thought of you as a classy guy, no surprise you were involved w/ such a classy boat!

As Mr. Paul Harvey would say, and now you know the rest of the story.......
later,
pp.

PS, My best to Mr. Sheer, one tough REAL old boat racer and my childhood inspiration! :USA:

JO - PANTERABOAT
02-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Thank You,
Shawn

+1 !
Written by a real luminary!
Later,
pp.

PS, Watch where you are going and remember where you been,
because time will close yesterdays doors ! :confused:

Jesse James
02-20-2010, 01:59 AM
so how much HP to top out at 75 in a 37/39 ? more concerned about a 4k rpm or lower 60 mph cruise...

thanks for all the help and input from the guys who were there...

J-Bonz
02-20-2010, 03:50 AM
We have been friends for way over 30 years and I have always thought of you as a classy guy, no surprise you were involved w/ such a classy boat!

later,
pp.

PS, My best to Mr. Sheer, one tough REAL old boat racer and my childhood inspiration! :USA:

Last time I saw the Gucci boat it was in ohio. I beleive the owner purchased it from National. It was great to here the story on it...
Jr.

Brownie
02-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Subtract Jean Claude and add Harry Schoell

MidOcean
02-20-2010, 09:07 AM

later,
pp.

Bobby is a good guy.. AND.Bobby... I hope we didn't wake you up last night. Butch Ryan wanted to say hi to you. We are going to his son's LaX game on sunday.. we will try again then.

T

OneBadInjun
02-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Bobby is a good guy.. AND.Bobby... I hope we didn't wake you up last night. Butch Ryan wanted to say hi to you. We are going to his son's LaX game on sunday.. we will try again then.

TShawn Ryan? I remember Shawn when he was younger. Guess he was about 20 years old or so. Good kid. What, is he into football or something now, or?

MidOcean
02-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Shawn Ryan? I remember Shawn when he was younger. Guess he was about 20 years old or so. Good kid. What, is he into football or something now, or?

Shawn is playing Lacross.. They have a tournament here in Tallahassee for three days. All of them will be over at the house later this evening..

Yes, real good kid.

mika
02-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Last time I saw the Gucci boat it was in ohio. I beleive the owner purchased it from National. It was great to here the story on it...
Jr.

I went down to Miami to buy that boat in 2003. Turned out to be in pretty rough shape so I passed.

scippy
02-21-2010, 01:37 PM
so how much HP to top out at 75 in a 37/39 ? more concerned about a 4k rpm or lower 60 mph cruise...

thanks for all the help and input from the guys who were there...

Jesse James, here is a page from the 1990 powerboat mag. performance data on the 37'/39' Aronow!.....If you need, I have the full (4 pg.) write-up.

OneBadInjun
02-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Shawn is playing Lacross.. They have a tournament here in Tallahassee for three days. All of them will be over at the house later this evening..

Yes, real good kid.Lets see...Shawn would be in his late 40's by now(give or take)? And he still is playing LaX? Or do you mean Shawns son, who grew up in Palm Beach Gardens? Also a good kid. Thanx

MidOcean
02-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Lets see...Shawn would be in his late 40's by now(give or take)? And he still is playing LaX? Or do you mean Shawns son, who grew up in Palm Beach Gardens? Also a good kid. Thanx

No, I was wrong. It's Tyler, Butch's youngest, who is playing LaX. We just watched his game an hour ago against FSU. Sorry for the confusion.

T.

scippy
01-31-2011, 02:01 AM

thanks

I happened to see the 37'/39' Aronow that was articled in the 1990 Powerboat magazine in the yard at Kurt's marine this fall here in Jersey. I don't think the above question was fully answered back when the post was up. Just curious if anybody knows the true origin of the 37' Aronow hull.

jake237
06-04-2013, 08:30 AM
any pics of the 47' rigged for military use?

Ratickle
06-05-2013, 04:28 AM
any pics of the 47' rigged for military use?

Let me see what I can come up with. I know they are out there somewhere.

jake237
06-05-2013, 08:36 AM

fund razor
06-05-2013, 12:14 PM
I got to look at a 39 Aronow Power Cat yesterday.
What a big, wide puppy. :)

Ratickle
06-11-2013, 04:21 AM
There are a couple of those for sale. They never did perform correctly. Too bad Don didn't have more time to perfect the design.

fund razor
06-11-2013, 05:19 AM
Correct in what regard?

old377guy
06-11-2013, 11:45 AM
They were'nt no Skaters - that's for sure

old377guy
06-11-2013, 11:47 AM
There may be one parked up the street from me that has been converted into a tour boat. Kind of a pig; the VIN starts with AO. I'll see if I can snap some shots.

old377guy
06-11-2013, 03:47 PM
7606076061I couldn't get a bow shot - whadya think?

Ratickle
06-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Naw, they're not that ugly!

fund razor
06-12-2013, 06:08 AM
They were'nt no Skaters - that's for sure

Neither was Miss America X. Too bad Gar Wood didn't have time to "correct" it.

fund razor
06-12-2013, 06:11 AM
7606076061I couldn't get a bow shot - whadya think?

They actually look a little more like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baSLurBO9CQ

old377guy
06-12-2013, 10:50 AM
It may be an American Offshore

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Sun Splash is an Aronow USA 39 Cat. It was created by splitting a 38 cig . Built as chase boats for the government I believe. Not the fastest cat ever built for sure.

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-12-2013, 12:34 PM
There may be one parked up the street from me that has been converted into a tour boat. Kind of a pig; the VIN starts with AO. I'll see if I can snap some shots.

That thing is butt ugly

Deprecated Browser Error (http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic1.aspx?pg=25)

Link above is the page of HIN that start with AO

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Anybody notice the Sea Rocket has a Tie bar issue?

old377guy
06-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah no tie bar, but word has it he's running 10-40w in his trim pumps - so he's golden.

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-12-2013, 07:06 PM
It would be faster with 10w-30.

Is he headed straight or turning left?

MOBILEMERCMAN
06-12-2013, 07:07 PM
In my best Gump voice, "Momma says maybe a little bit of both is true."

Ratickle
06-13-2013, 09:41 PM
High performance toe-out!

endeavor1
06-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Wow

Ratickle
06-14-2013, 09:51 PM
They actually look a little more like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baSLurBO9CQ

Cool

Bobcat
06-15-2013, 09:47 AM
There is a tour boat down here called the Sea-rockit. It is a 1994 Obsession cat. It looks awfully close too that tour boat.

old377guy
06-15-2013, 10:05 AM
This boat came from Rhode Island - or was last registered in R.I. In any event, it doesn't seem to be an Aronow Cat

Ratickle
06-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Aronow

Deprecated Browser Error (http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic1.aspx?company=aronow&sort=mic)

Ratickle
06-15-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm surprised to see two?