PDA

View Full Version : Timing set BBC

fixxxer22
02-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Im gonna pull my engine here soon and look her over and I put in a GM performance set that made my gen 5 accept a gen 6 cam with the plate between the cam and gear so no button. I am running a gen 6 cam. I was not pleased with the initial slop in the cam chain and relatively no ability to use a degree wheel. my speed shop said a cloyes 9-3149 would be correct for my application. will that fit under my factory timing cover and is it the best bang for my buck?

thanks guys,
Mitch

Throttle Fever
02-11-2010, 06:43 PM
I run Performance Racing Products part # 9-73388 Billet single with a 9 way crank gear (which I am not the biggest fan of but that the only way they come). Have you had a crank bore alignment done in the past to the block? That will make a differance in the distance from crank center line to cam center line usually giving a little slack to the chain. If you can find a .005 under chain that will take up the slack.

jeffswav
02-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Go with the Rollmaster, pre-streched chain with no slop, bilit steel gears. Use the cam button, the single rollers are not as good as a double roller. With the plate you cannot use a double roller on Gen V. Get a new alluminum (thicker) timing cover the stamped cover will not work. This is all advice I got from RMbuilder, send him a pm or email, he joined the site a while back.

Throttle Fever
02-12-2010, 11:26 AM
"the single rollers are not as good as a double roller"
Beg to differ on that.....

fixxxer22
02-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Is there an issue using the plate as opposed to the cam button. Ford has used the plate for years and seems to work fine. I just wanted the plate so i did not have to mess with the button. i also just wanted it to fit under the factory cover. where can i find a rollmaster? and the cloyes number i provided above: is that a correct replacement?

Throttle Fever
02-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Plate works just fine. And if not turning 7-8 grand with 700 plus lift, the single chain I mentioned above works great, and fits under the stock cover. Installed dozons and had no failures. Those aftermarket aluminum timing cover are junk. Unless you go to a high dollar one. Call Jerry at 320.274.5278 he will set you up with the right chain... Pete

jeffswav
02-12-2010, 01:08 PM
I am not a expert but I am just going by what I have been told from Bob Madera RMbuilder. On a Gen V block you cannot use a double roller if you use the plate. A chain will very rairly break, but if it stretches it effects your timing. Use the Imco or compairable cover and it will not flex. Just telling you what I went through last year when I switched mine over to roller.

DAREDEVIL
02-12-2010, 01:09 PM
I LIKE THIS ONE !!!!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330403983387&category=33625&_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D77 96430778920496275

Throttle Fever
02-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I LIKE THIS ONE !!!!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330403983387&category=33625&_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D77 96430778920496275

Yeah if we all had your money.. Ha Ha:seeya:

Throttle Fever
02-12-2010, 01:33 PM
I am not a expert but I am just going by what I have been told from Bob Madera RMbuilder. On a Gen V block you cannot use a double roller if you use the plate. A chain will very rairly break, but if it stretches it effects your timing. Use the Imco or compairable cover and it will not flex. Just telling you what I went through last year when I switched mine over to roller.

No doubt the double is the best way to go. But the guy was asking about a single and thats why I give him info on. And yes Bob is a genious and would never doubt any of his sugestions. But for mild HP and RPM the singles are just fine. We are all here to help not debate. What your stated is all good. Just trying to give a solution without reinventing the wheel. Still would check the centerline measurement any stock length chain you use wil be sloppy if it is off. Pete

fixxxer22
02-12-2010, 02:30 PM
I have installed many cloyes sets in Ford engines and they are all very tight. Not getting to the extreme of a degree wheel or anything but just customers comming in wiht leaky front covers and i install a timing set at that time for preventative maintinence. I apprecieate all the input But i like the idea of the plate better. I have yet to setup a button on a BBC but i heard it is kinda janky. I was just so un-impressed with that gm performance set, and was looking to get another and tuck it behind that cover before i run into yet another issue where i have to fabricate.

DAREDEVIL
02-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Yeah if we all had your money.. Ha Ha:seeya:

:confused: ,,i don't have any,,,thats why i like to do it right ! And once, i learned it the hard way...thats why i don't have money !!! LOL

jeffswav
02-12-2010, 04:46 PM
I run Performance Racing Products part # 9-73388 Billet single with a 9 way crank gear (which I am not the biggest fan of but that the only way they come). Have you had a crank bore alignment done in the past to the block? That will make a differance in the distance from crank center line to cam center line usually giving a little slack to the chain. If you can find a .005 under chain that will take up the slack.Just reread this post. That is a good question. When I ordered my timing chain Rollmaster offered several different part numbers depending on if the engine had been line bored. If it has been bored and you used the stock length that would give you slop from brand new, then more as the chain streched.

Throttle Fever
02-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Just reread this post. That is a good question. When I ordered my timing chain Rollmaster offered several different part numbers depending on if the engine had been line bored. If it has been bored and you used the stock length that would give you slop from brand new, then more as the chain streched.

Yes sir. That what it sounds like to me. Would order a .005 and give a try. If still sloppy the .010. Look at the bottom of your main caps (the surface were they mount to the block) usually you can tell if it has been been machined by a rough cut surfacing job or look. Factory caps are pretty smooth. Or look for any file marks, or machine marks. Or you could measure the centerline (crank to cam). If the block had previous issues with the line bore, a machine shop will cut the caps a few thousands and then rebore the main line, that in turn moves the crank up in the block closer to the cam (the extra slop you notice in the chain). Pete

fixxxer22
02-14-2010, 08:39 PM
I have not had the cam or crank journals bored. Thanks for the help guys but i just think i bought a dud kit. The kit was $26.00 my cost ( i work a t a dealership) it included both sprokets, chain, plate, bolts and a little thing of loctite. so im thinking i do not have a quality part. you get what you pay for and i need to change it.

Boat1
03-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Checkout Rollmaster products. The gears are billet, double roller chain available -.002/-.004/-.006 if needed. Part number CS2095 is for Gen 5/6 like yours. Check out www.romacusa.com, it is a quality product at a value price. You can order direct from the web-site. Good luck.

YoungPerformance
03-01-2010, 02:39 PM
The Cloyes 9-3149A for Gen VI is a 1/2" pitch single roller. It is a good set.
I am not positive on the Rollmaster, but the SA Gear Gen VI set will fit under the stock cover. I have used it many times. I did clearance the covers a little with a die grinder for the Rollmaster. I didn't check it beforehand, so I'm not sure if it will fit. Worse case, spend 3 minutes with a grinder and it will definitely fit. The SA Gear double roller will definitely fit. It has billet gears with a Torrington bearing and a .250 double roller chain. Real nice piece for the money. It's about $80.
Here is a link to the SA Gear set.
http://www.competitionproducts.com/SA-Gear-Billet-Steel-Double-Roller-Timing-Set-Chev-BB/productinfo/78537T-9/

Eddie

Boat1
03-01-2010, 02:58 PM
The set Eddie recommended is less expensive, THANKS Eddie.

RMBuilder
03-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Fixxxer,
Rollmaster makes a billet, double row Gen VI timing set for STD. . .002”/.004”/.006” line hone applications. They will fit under the 6 and 10 bolt covers. What sets them apart is the Iwis chain, which is undoubtedly the best in the industry.

Bob

fixxxer22
03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Gonna need to get one of those from you too bob