PDA

View Full Version : What paint to use on galv trailer?

ItsPeanut
02-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Decided to redo trailer and the money i save i can throw into boat. Just curious what type paint to use and if welding galvanized steel the same as regular steel. If not, what steps should i take to weld my new brackets for my fender? Thanks.

Chris
02-10-2010, 07:57 PM
You have to grind away all the galvanic coating where you're going to weld- and I'd suggest you grind back a bit too.

Paint- good and not terribly expensive- Rustoleum 9100. The best- Imron. You can get their industrial line for alot less than their automotive paint. It won't gloss quite the same and the col;or selection isn't as good, but the savings is substantial.

Both are full of cyanoacrylate. It'll fry your brain and ruin your lungs. And respirators don't remove it. Spray outside or with a vent hood.

old377guy
02-10-2010, 08:30 PM
You have to grind away all the galvanic coating where you're going to weld- and I'd suggest you grind back a bit too.

Paint- good and not terribly expensive- Rustoleum 9100. The best- Imron. You can get their industrial line for alot less than their automotive paint. It won't gloss quite the same and the col;or selection isn't as good, but the savings is substantial.

Both are full of cyanoacrylate. It'll fry your brain and ruin your lungs. And respirators don't remove it. Spray outside or with a vent hood.

some folks pay big money to fry their brains; in this case they get a paint job on the side.

02-10-2010, 08:55 PM
The best- Imron. You can get their industrial line for alot less than their automotive paint. It won't gloss quite the same and the col;or selection isn't as good, but the savings is substantial.

Did you say you brushed or rolled it on?

Chris
02-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Rustoleum 9100 can be rolled or thinned to spray. It flows out pretty well. The Imron needs to be sprayed.

tommymonza
02-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Save your money and buy a good used or new Aluminum framed trailer. You are just pissin into the wind trying to save that relic if you have to weld on it.What are the springs ,axles , wheels, , tires and bunk brackets like ?

If they are shot best to invest in a new torsion axle aluminum trailer. springs are a lost cause in saltwater ,if you use your boat regularly you will be replacing them every year otherwise.
My 02.

JupiterSunsation
02-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Save your money and buy a good used or new Aluminum framed trailer. You are just pissin into the wind trying to save that relic if you have to weld on it.What are the springs ,axles , wheels, , tires and bunk brackets like ?

If they are shot best to invest in a new torsion axle aluminum trailer. springs are a lost cause in saltwater ,if you use your boat regularly you will be replacing them every year otherwise.
My 02.

I get about 4 years out of springs in all salt use. One broke during a blowout and I replaced all 6 that month so I don't know if it was a freak thing or they were rotted through.

BUIZILLA
02-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Por 15

ItsPeanut
02-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Actual trailer not in bad shape. Got one spindle thats shot and one shackle mount thats no good. I dont want to half azz it so im just going to replace all moving parts. Ive already priced and ordered everything and the cost came to 900 w/out paint. Im getting new axles w/ hubs, leafs, u-bolts and 4 tires, w/rims. I think if i would of spent the 2700 on new trailer i would of probably seen maybe 1250 back on a completes sale with the boat. Now i can spend the 1700 left on the boat which i can enjoy more. Lot funner being on the boat than the trailer.

Thanks for the help on the paint Chris.

northernoffshore
03-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Por 15

cold tar epoxy, same thing less expensive(grainger)