PDA

View Full Version : Interesting outlook on Facebook....

JupiterSunsation
02-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Think of FB as a voluntary "Big Brother".....I have a very limited page with a single picture (group shot with me in the center). I only signed up for it this summer for a high school reunion and currently have about 30 friends. I was shocked to see how much info people put on there, pictures, kid's pictures, etc. Needless to say privacy was a concern long before I read this article.

Privacy still a nagging concern on Facebook
By Hiawatha Bray
February 4, 2010
I’ve acquired hundreds of Facebook friends over the past couple of years. Chester Wisniewski isn’t one of them, and probably never will be.

Nothing against the guy. But as an analyst with Sophos Inc., the network security company with US headquarters in Burlington, Wisniewski knows a lot about Facebook security and privacy issues. So he stopped using it.

“To me, it’s way too difficult to protect your privacy on Facebook the way it’s configured now,’’ he told me the old-fashioned way, by phone from his home in Vancouver, Canada.

If Facebook were a country, it would be the third-largest. But it’s not exactly a democracy. So when the social-networking service changed its privacy policies in December, its 350 million members didn’t get to vote.

Some of the changes make it easier to control the personal information you share with the rest of the world. But other changes make it difficult, or even impossible, to keep certain facts to yourself.

Nobody wants total Facebook privacy; the whole point of the service is to share some personal data. But how much, and with whom? It makes sense for Facebook to let you look up any member by name. But the member might want to share his photograph or his hometown only with his Facebook friends, while denying it to the rest of the world.

Facebook now reveals all this data to everybody. If you post a picture of yourself, every Internet user can see it. They can also see your gender, the city you live in, a list of your Facebook friends, and even a list of your favorite Facebook pages, which reveal your tastes and interests.

Do you want everybody to know you’re a Barack Obama supporter or a Sarah Palin fan? They will, if you subscribe to their pages, because Facebook doesn’t give you a way to keep these subscriptions private.

You can conceal the identities of friends by clicking a pencil-like icon on the friends section of your Facebook profile page. But other personal details can’t be blocked. You must share them with everyone, or no one. Wisniewski solved the problem by abandoning Facebook. Short of that, you can delete your photo, favorite pages, and other private data from your profile.

Mind you, it could still be too late. Your Facebook page is probably listed with Internet search services, so Google, Bing, and others have copies of your picture, friends list, favorite pages, and such. Luckily, Facebook lets you shut down future indexing. To find the off switch, click the Settings menu, then Privacy Settings, then Search.

Facebook is a bit more careful with other personal data, such as birthdays or religious faith. By default, these tidbits are provided to your online friends, but also to “friends of friends.’’ That means your buddies can share the information with their buddies. This is a bit too liberal for my tastes. What if one of my friends hangs out with bad companions? Knowing someone’s birth date makes life easier for identity thieves. It’s safer not to enter these details, or to share them only with friends. Facebook allows that with a couple of clicks on the privacy settings page.

Watch out for Facebook applications - the thousands of programs and services made available through the site. If you play a Facebook game like the popular Mafia Wars, you’re providing a lot of basic personal data to Zynga Game Network Inc., which runs the game. In addition, if a friend uses an application, he shares information about all his friends, including you. Click on “Applications and Websites’’ to block friends from passing data to strangers.

Of course, many of my “friends’’ are indeed strangers, techies, and business folk I barely know. I’m probably telling them too much about myself. Too late, I’ve discovered a solution - Facebook’s “limited profile’’ feature. This lets you create a special category of friends who get much less access to your information. You set it up on the main Friends page, then go to Privacy to pick out which bits of data to conceal.

Wisniewski’s got a point. Facebook gives away too much. Still, I would never quit Facebook; it’s far too useful. And while defending your privacy takes a bit of work, give the company credit for providing a pretty good tool kit.

Protect yourself on Facebook
■Be careful about linking to pages that reveal your political or religious views. You can’t conceal these page links.

■Share your personal data only with friends, when possible. Or don’t post it on Facebook at all.

■Don’t “friend’’ just anybody. Be selective. If you have doubts about someone, create a “limited profile’’ for friends who will get restricted access to your data.

■Watch what you post. For example, revealing travel plans can make you a target for burglars.

■Be careful about using applications, which can collect data about you. And block your friends from giving your information to the applications they use.

Chris
02-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I call it "Evidencebook".

Tony
02-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Facebook, you mean that site that shows pages and pages of who is now friends with who and who found a lost little turtle on their stupid imaginary farm.

pullmytrigger
02-04-2010, 10:27 AM
who found a lost little turtle on their stupid imaginary farm.

stupid, agreed.....but you know you can hide that stuff so you dont have to see it.....if you put the mouse on the "phrase" a "hide" icon will come up....click on it and you wont see anymore farm chit from that person....

LaughingCat
02-04-2010, 10:45 AM
The wife and I are still not on Facebook, MYSPace, etc. Once our kids get old enough to get their own page, we will sign up to monitor them and insist on having their passwords. Otherwise, no redeeming value in our minds.

Dude! Sweet!
02-04-2010, 11:51 AM
My great grandmother went back to Ireland with my father. When they got to the top of the hill overlooking the town she grew up in, she told him to stop, turn the car around and head back to Dublin. He was pretty surprised by that... Sensing his dismay, she said, "once I saw it, I remembered why I left".

I feel the same way about all the people I've lost touch with over the years. If I really wanted to keep in touch with them I would have. Facebook is pointless to me... Now F*ckbook, that's a whole different story! :sifone:

TCEd
02-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Wonder if the word friend will get a new definition in the next edition of the Oxford dictionary ?

Sydwayz
02-04-2010, 12:55 PM
As someone who makes a living in security and privacy; trust me... Social Networking can sink you.

DollaBill
02-04-2010, 12:58 PM
As someone who makes a living in security and privacy; trust me... Social Networking can sink you.

only if you give a sh!t what other people think :sifone:

Wobble
02-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Facebook is cited in twenty percent of divorce cases. Maybe I should sign up:sifone:

cigdaze
02-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Facebook is cited in twenty percent of divorce cases. Maybe I should sign up:sifone:

We were fvcking with a friend of ours not too long ago and when he left his computer unattended for a few minutes, I changed his facebook status to "Single, looking for men" knowing that his wife regularly monitors the site, and I damn near got them into a knock-down, drag-out brawl.
:cheers2: :sifone: :cheers2: :sifone:

fund razor
02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
only if you give a sh!t what other people think :sifone:

Some of us have to.

Not on facebook or myspace.

cigdaze
02-04-2010, 01:25 PM
And on topic, facebook's fine is you use it intelligently. If you're a dummy, than yes it could get you in a lot of trouble.

For instance, don't ever befriend people from work, call in sick, and then post about the awesome concert you went to last night and expect to not get fired. (True story about some broad that I used to work with).

Wobble
02-04-2010, 02:00 PM
And on topic, facebook's fine is you use it intelligently. If you're a dummy, than yes it could get you in a lot of trouble.

For instance, don't ever befriend people from work, call in sick, and then post about the awesome concert you went to last night and expect to not get fired. (True story about some broad that I used to work with).

The local paper makes a point of using peoples facebook picture when they can find one. Recent instance was a young man involved in a drink driving wreck; his facebook picture showed him with a drink in hand and a flushed face.

JupiterSunsation
02-04-2010, 03:16 PM
The local paper makes a point of using peoples facebook picture when they can find one. Recent instance was a young man involved in a drink driving wreck; his facebook picture showed him with a drink in hand and a flushed face.

I have an ex-employee going through DUI case #3 and on his myspace page it shows him on the beach with a bottle of champagne on his birthday......he got a DUI that night....with injury and property damage. Safe to say that will be pointed out in court(that he had been drinking all day)!

DollaBill
02-04-2010, 03:23 PM
I have an ex-employee going through DUI case #3 and on his myspace page it shows him on the beach with a bottle of champagne on his birthday......he got a DUI that night....with injury and property damage. Safe to say that will be pointed out in court(that he had been drinking all day)!

Frankly, if he is on DUI case #3 he's a real alcoholic and should be off the roads and put away for a long time.

fund razor
02-04-2010, 04:10 PM
I see that a lot here too.

pullmytrigger
02-04-2010, 07:20 PM
my next door nieghbour and me were best friends till they moved when we were about 9.....his fam moved a bunch of times, lost touch by like 14.....through FB he turned up in Maryland....pretty cool

JupiterSunsation
02-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Frankly, if he is on DUI case #3 he's a real alcoholic and should be off the roads and put away for a long time.

He was good for a 10 year stretch but......got back to dating young alcoholic girls and the party was back on.....guy is 49, last girl friend was 23 and a blackout type drunk. She was a sweetheart until vodka, beer/wine ok but vodka brought out evil. :D

THEJOKER
02-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm on there but selective with the " friends " thing. It is cool to look at your friends , friends and see those geeks you went to school with. Use your head!

Buoy
02-04-2010, 09:39 PM
My great grandmother went back to Ireland with my father. When they got to the top of the hill overlooking the town she grew up in, she told him to stop, turn the car around and head back to Dublin. He was pretty surprised by that... Sensing his dismay, she said, "once I saw it, I remembered why I left".

I feel the same way about all the people I've lost touch with over the years. If I really wanted to keep in touch with them I would have. Facebook is pointless to me...

Damn Sean, just yesterday I was telling someone about an old buddy from HS that called me out of nowhere. I was headed back to visit family in a month, and had dinner and a few beers with him. It only took about 5 minutes to realize why I never kept in touch with him, and didn't intend to in the future.

I see that a lot here too.

Are you referring to the pics showing up here on SOS, or in Toledo??:)

waterboy222
02-04-2010, 09:52 PM
**** facebook...