PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have spouses with a concealed carry permit?

buck
02-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Topic has been on my mind for about a month now. Just got me to thinking and wondering.

Not really looking for the justifications for doing it. I already have my own opinions on this and don't need anymore justification that what I already have.

There's a decent sized group of our friends that are getting together in a couple of weeks to take the class. I have encouraged my wife to do it and I'm glad to say she's excited about it. It's going to be an all female class so hopefully they will feel less intimidated to take this opportunity. I'd say we have a commitment from at least 12 women so far. I'm pretty pumped about them doing it to be honest.

I'm almost embarrassed to say I haven't taken the step to do it myself. I've committed myself to doing it before this summer. You would think with the amount of time I spend shooting and the amount of firearms I own that I would have done it by now.

So, who's spouse has stepped up to the plate???

EDIT....For those of you that have significant others with the permit what did they qualify with? Revolver or Auto, and what caliber?

Expensive Date
02-03-2010, 12:51 AM
In NJ its almost impossible to get one.I am Ret NYPD and I can't.I could get one under federal HR214 but never did the paperwork.I have mixed feelings of a non gun person carrying a gun.If you have never been in a situation that warranted its use you have no idea what you will do.It could save your life or it could end it.Laws governing use of deadly physical force are very specific.
I am in no way against anyone who does not have a criminal record or psychological issues from carrying a weapon,just that its not for everyone.

buck
02-03-2010, 12:57 AM
I hate it that it's so difficult for the law abiding citizens of your state to obtain one. I guess we are very fortunate.

Keep in mind, the chances of my wife actually carrying a weapon is slim to none at any given time. Her ability to use what she has access to means more to me than the permit itself.

She does drive my truck from time to time and it's not at all uncommon to find one or more firearms in it. If she were to get pulled over I would like things to be as easy as possible for her to deal with having them in her possession.

Tommy Gun
02-03-2010, 12:57 AM
My wife and I both have CCW permits. She q'd with a 9mm Glock 19; carries a Ruger LCP .380 auto...and is a very good shot.

Expensive Date
02-03-2010, 01:10 AM
My wife and I both have CCW permits. She q'd with a 9mm Glock 19; carries a Ruger LCP .380 auto...and is a very good shot.

Women are usually better shots.

Sydwayz
02-03-2010, 03:15 AM
I am for it. I am trying to get my GF to get hers.

Wrinkleface
02-03-2010, 08:16 AM
not wife, but Gal Pal does!

THEJOKER
02-03-2010, 09:40 AM
You can wear em on your hip here in Ga.

THEJOKER
02-03-2010, 09:44 AM
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55288 Read this......off topic but interesting.

Chris
02-03-2010, 09:52 AM
The CCW course is about as useful in providing the tools you need to use deadly force as a driver's licence course is to driving a Top Fuel dragster.

If you have a legitimate fear for your life that you feel the need to possess the same deadly force capabilities as a law enforcement officer, you should have no problem going through the same screening and training process.

catastrophe
02-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Isnt it easier to call a real estate agent and move?

drpete3
02-03-2010, 09:58 AM
I have an ex that has her permit

Tommy Gun
02-03-2010, 10:22 AM

No.

cuda
02-03-2010, 10:24 AM
The CCW course is about as useful in providing the tools you need to use deadly force as a driver's licence course is to driving a Top Fuel dragster.

If you have a legitimate fear for your life that you feel the need to possess the same deadly force capabilities as a law enforcement officer, you should have no problem going through the same screening and training process.
I feel I should weild the same deadly force as a criminal does.

Tony
02-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Problem is, if your wife isnt fully prepared physically or mentally to use lethal force then your probably wasting your time. My cousin is a female LEO that teaches a womens self defense class. The scenario she uses is that a woman pulls a gun on an assailant, freezes in fear then becomes overpowered and winds up dead from her own weapon being used against her. Same also applies to tazers. The same scenario could also apply to males but more likley with females.

Worst case is you spend some $$ and your wife gets some good training on firearms safety. She can always decide later if she wants to carry or not.

cuda
02-03-2010, 10:28 AM
You don't need a CCW to carry a pistol in your vehicle. I've never felt the need to carry one inside a place. The most likely places you'll need a CCW you aren't allowed to anyway. They are called "Places of Nuisance", ie a bar.

My ex gf carried one in her truck, and pulled it out one time when some guy grabbed a stick out of the back of his truck. If he would have blinked, he would have died in the dark.

Chris
02-03-2010, 10:29 AM

I've always said this exact same thing. People that are concerned for their well-being don't buy guns, they buy nice homes in the suburbs.

We have our share of crime out here too. In fact we have three types of crime out here. We have the spoiled children of our neighbors breaking into our cars and outbuildings to steal, we have people beating the snot out of their wives/girlfriends and we have a WalMart on the edge of town that's a scumbag magnet- pulling them by the busload to get caught shoplifting or pissing in the parking lot.

Tommy Gun
02-03-2010, 10:32 AM
I've always said this exact same thing. People that are concerned for their well-being don't buy guns, they buy nice homes in the suburbs.

We have our share of crime out here too. In fact we have three types of crime out here. We have the spoiled children of our neighbors breaking into our cars and outbuildings to steal, we have people beating the snot out of their wives/girlfriends and we have a WalMart on the edge of town that's a scumbag magnet- pulling them by the busload to get caught shoplifting or pissing in the parking lot.

I didn't buy a gun because I'm concerned about my well being, I bought a gun because I couldn't think a of single reason not to own one.

catastrophe
02-03-2010, 10:33 AM
You don't need a CCW to carry a pistol in your vehicle. I've never felt the need to carry one inside a place. The most likely places you'll need a CCW you aren't allowed to anyway. They are called "Places of Nuisance", ie a bar.

My ex gf carried one in her truck, and pulled it out one time when some guy grabbed a stick out of the back of his truck. If he would have blinked, he would have died in the dark.

" Hi mom I'm home, I blew a guys head off cuz he had a STICK IN HIS HAND"

Great dear...wash your hands for dinner.

cigdaze
02-03-2010, 10:33 AM

People get murdered, raped and burglarized in nice areas, too.

Chris
02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
I didn't buy a gun because I'm concerned about my well being, I bought a gun because I couldn't think a of single reason not to own one.

No doubt. That comment was in reference to what the average person does.

20 miles from here it's a couple times a week occurrence. Out here, we've had one murder- 17 years ago. First one since keeping track.

The bottom line is that your chances of using a firearm in a self-defense situation are less than winning a multimillion dollar lottery jackpot. If you're really concerned for your safety, there are much better ways of preserving your life. In the last statistical year, 1.8 million Americans died from heart and lun diseases, strokes, cancer, auto accidents and other mostly-preventable illnesses. During that same time, 18,000 people in total died as a result of homicide. And as Alec cited, fewer than 200 incidents of self defense.

So, if you smoke, drink, are overweight or drive too fast/alot/in a small car, you're really not all that concerned with preserving your life. If you want to live longer, buy a gym membership and eat salads.

JupiterSunsation
02-03-2010, 11:20 AM

Sounds like you just described Jupiter.......(Jupiter Farms for the outbuildings part).

JupiterSunsation
02-03-2010, 11:36 AM

Jupiter is the last town in Palm Beach county (the wealthiest county in FL and one of the biggest by population). PBC had 93 murders last year, first year it has been double digits (last year was about 120 and was between 110-125 for the last 5 years). PBC is the wealthiest county by averaging the Donald Trump mansions and the poorest farming/ghetto towns like Belle Glade/Pahokee (ironically about 40 miles from rich to poor on State Road 80).

Jupiter recently had a guy murder 4 family members and flee to the Keys so that was nationwide news but other than that it has been low key. Two towns south (Riviera Beach) has weekly murders and is a very rough community so trouble isn't far away. It is to the point random people have been shot at traffic lights in gang crossfire! Daylight is ok but nighttime is off limits. Even the latest Walmart has had such a bad run over there they are considering closing the store (arson, several shootings).

My neighbor wants to move back to New Hampshire that consistantly has an annual murder rate of about 20 STATEWIDE. So the murder rate is 6 times higher in one FL county compared to the whole state of NH. Of the 20 about 1/2 are domestic related. But even there 4 high school kids broke into a house and killed a mother and seriously wounded her 12 year old daughter. House was picked at random, kids just wanted to kill someone. Daughter lived, called 911 and kids got busted within 48 hours. Two of the murderers lived in 700K homes!

Guess no where is perfect...........

fund razor
02-03-2010, 11:42 AM
You don't need a CCW to carry a pistol in your vehicle.
We may not carry a loaded firearm in our vehicle in Ohio without one. And when we do have one, it has to be immediately disclosed to any LEO that we come into contact with.
We (friends and I) always transport our weapons to the range unloaded, with trigger lock on and ammo in a different part of the vehicle, like locked in the trunk.

Chris
02-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Guess no where is perfect...........

You're not safe anywhere. But you are safer in some places.

I talk to alot of people about carrying firearms. And rarely is the desire based on reasonable concern. It's almost always emotional. If you want to take actions to preserve your life and well-being, I don't think they should be based on reactionary impulses.

sledge
02-03-2010, 11:59 AM
She does drive my truck from time to time and it's not at all uncommon to find one or more firearms in it. If she were to get pulled over I would like things to be as easy as possible for her to deal with having them in her possession.

If the laws of your state are such that she could get in trouble in that scenario, and having a CCW would prevent that trouble, then that's not a bad idea.

If she's interested in learning how to use it and be responsible with it...even better. A healthy and knowledgeable respect for weapons is much better than unwarranted fear IMHO.

I forget what the rule is here in FL for "un-permitted" carry, either 2 or 3 steps. I seem to recall that inside a locked compartment was ok. Unloaded in a gym bag or brief case is ok. Unloaded on/under the seat is only 1 step so CCW would be required.

It also depends on who stops you and for what. In high school my buddy and I were riding in his older brother's truck. Older bro was a CCW holder and registered firearm owner. Trooper asked if a loaded weapon was in the vehicle, buddy said yes, trooper ran his license and told us to slow down.

Bradz
02-03-2010, 12:22 PM
My wife is a walking weapon. She is a third degree black belt. When we go out at night I let her lead and clear a path in the parking garages in downtown Chicago. :boxing_smiley:

redhotsommer
02-03-2010, 12:33 PM
My wife is a walking weapon. She is a third degree black belt. When we go out at night I let her lead and clear a path in the parking garages in downtown Chicago. :boxing_smiley:

So I should stop picking on you or you are gonna call your wife to beat me up? :seeya:

rainmn
02-03-2010, 12:34 PM
You don't need a CCW to carry a pistol in your vehicle. I've never felt the need to carry one inside a place.

That may be true in FL, but it's certainly not the case everywhere.

Get pulled over here in NJ with a loaded pistol in your glove box and see what happens.

BUIZILLA
02-03-2010, 12:41 PM
" Hi mom I'm home, I blew a guys head off cuz he had a STICK IN HIS HAND"

Great dear...wash your hands for dinner. your pretty flippant without knowing the facts

as usual.... :ack2:

this guy followed Cuda home, unto a dead end street, thereby blocking him in, then pulled the stick trick on him..

bad mistake on the idiot's part.. :boxing_smiley:

Sea-Dated
02-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Oklahoma is the same way. If the weapon is loaded then you better have a CCW. If you are just going to the range and the weapon and ammo are in separate compartments, ie glove box and center console or cabin and trunk, then you are fine.

cigdaze
02-03-2010, 12:55 PM
No doubt. That comment was in reference to what the average person does.

20 miles from here it's a couple times a week occurrence. Out here, we've had one murder- 17 years ago. First one since keeping track.

The bottom line is that your chances of using a firearm in a self-defense situation are less than winning a multimillion dollar lottery jackpot. If you're really concerned for your safety, there are much better ways of preserving your life. In the last statistical year, 1.8 million Americans died from heart and lun diseases, strokes, cancer, auto accidents and other mostly-preventable illnesses. During that same time, 18,000 people in total died as a result of homicide. And as Alec cited, fewer than 200 incidents of self defense.

So, if you smoke, drink, are overweight or drive too fast/alot/in a small car, you're really not all that concerned with preserving your life. If you want to live longer, buy a gym membership and eat salads.

It's much the same here. But the wife and I both commute 30 miles each way - some through not so nice parts. A couple week's ago, one of her co-workers got carjacked near the office; sht happens. We can't all live and work nicely sheltered in the suburbs. The rest is a numbers game, and I'd rather be afforded the opportunity to control my own fate than leave it in the hands of a thug. Hindsight being 20/20, I wonder how many of those 18,000 would be dead today had they been carrying? We'll never know, and it's silly to even speculate, but I'd bet money that the success rate of homicide attempts is higher with unarmed victims, than with armed ones.

And I play the lotto, too. :D

cuda
02-03-2010, 01:07 PM

There are criminals everywhere. I don't want to get caught in a gun battle where everyone has a gun but me.

cuda
02-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Just where to you think a thief or home invasion person hits? It sure isn't a single wide with a well out front.

cuda
02-03-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't smoke, drink, obese, or drive too fast in a small car.

The odds of me getting killed for lack of shooting back is zero.

Tony
02-03-2010, 01:15 PM

I'm guessing that you two dont argue much. :D

cuda
02-03-2010, 01:15 PM

Get pulled over here in NJ with a loaded pistol in your glove box and see what happens.

I don't live in NJ, and don't plan on going there anytime soon. As a matter of fact, I've never been to NJ. I figure if I can go 54 years without seeing it, I'll make it another 54 years. I'm only concerned with the Florida laws.

Birdog
02-03-2010, 01:24 PM
I live out in the country, break ins are very rare out here.Any help from LEO is 20-30 minutes away
I always thought it was because every home out here has a loaded gun {Or 20} and the home owner knows how to use it.

cuda
02-03-2010, 01:29 PM
It's much the same here. But the wife and I both commute 30 miles each way - some through not so nice parts. A couple week's ago, one of her co-workers got carjacked near the office; sht happens. We can't all live and work nicely sheltered in the suburbs. The rest is a numbers game, and I'd rather be afforded the opportunity to control my own fate than leave it in the hands of a thug. Hindsight being 20/20, I wonder how many of those 18,000 would be dead today had they been carrying? We'll never know, and it's silly to even speculate, but I'd bet money that the success rate of homicide attempts is higher with unarmed victims, than with armed ones.

And I play the lotto, too. :D
I suspect you would be right.
I also suspect the number of homicides attempted would fall if they KNEW everyone was armed.

cuda
02-03-2010, 01:38 PM
your pretty flippant without knowing the facts

as usual.... :ack2:

this guy followed Cuda home, unto a dead end street, thereby blocking him in, then pulled the stick trick on him..

bad mistake on the idiot's part.. :boxing_smiley:

Thanks Jim. This guy's remarks got me booted off here for a month. I choose to just ignore him. It's not like he has anything intelligent to say. His favorite pastime is getting under my skin, then I'm the bad guy.

catastrophe
02-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks Jim. This guy's remarks got me booted off here for a month. I choose to just ignore him. It's not like he has anything intelligent to say. His favorite pastime is getting under my skin, then I'm the bad guy.

I'm patient.

fund razor
02-03-2010, 02:14 PM

I figured that Jim must have known more of the story than what was in your post. Cause some of that wasn't posted. Your post was about an ex gf and her experience. Jim'spost was about a guy following you down your own street and trapping you in.

cuda
02-03-2010, 03:11 PM
I figured that Jim must have known more of the story than what was in your post. Cause some of that wasn't posted. Your post was about an ex gf and her experience. Jim'spost was about a guy following you down your own street and trapping you in.

It was two different stories, but they could have both ended up with the same outcome. I lived with her for 12 years, and if she pulled a gun, I'd assumed she would use it. And that's back when we liked each other.

The other one is when three punks thought they were going to kick someone's azz, until I hopped out of the truck with a pistol, and a no bs attitude.

Tommy Gun
02-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Cuda, I for one am glad to see you back from your time out.

Personally I think there is a better chance of a deer breaking into my house than a criminal, but I'd need a gun to resolve that too.

MarylandMark
02-03-2010, 06:10 PM
If every one were able to wear a holster, the world would be a safer place. I wish there weren't any CCW's; if your carrying, it should be in public and I think every law abiding citizen should be able to carry.

Think like a crook- would you rob the Quickie Mart if you walked in and 7 out of 20 had side arms strapped to their side?

mikes280
02-03-2010, 06:38 PM
I don't smoke, drink,

.ok so am i missing something here , i seem to remember being pretty tore up with you in Jacksonville and few years ago. :cheers2::eek::seeya:

Expensive Date
02-03-2010, 08:24 PM

Get pulled over with a firecracker in Jersey and they call the bomb squad.

JupiterSunsation
02-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Cuda, I for one am glad to see you back from your time out.

that lasted about 24 hours......I like Joe but he does get wound up from time to time.....:cuss:

JupiterSunsation
02-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Get pulled over with a firecracker in Jersey and they call the bomb squad.

that is because badazzes like Stecz and Tony Soprano live there! (both imaginary tough guys :D)

DAREDEVIL
02-03-2010, 08:46 PM
How many of you have spouses with a concealed carry permit?

Topic has been on my mind for about a month now. Just got me to thinking and wondering.

Not really looking for the justifications for doing it. I already have my own opinions on this and don't need anymore justification that what I already have.

There's a decent sized group of our friends that are getting together in a couple of weeks to take the class. I have encouraged my wife to do it and I'm glad to say she's excited about it. It's going to be an all female class so hopefully they will feel less intimidated to take this opportunity. I'd say we have a commitment from at least 12 women so far. I'm pretty pumped about them doing it to be honest.

I'm almost embarrassed to say I haven't taken the step to do it myself. I've committed myself to doing it before this summer. You would think with the amount of time I spend shooting and the amount of firearms I own that I would have done it by now.

So, who's spouse has stepped up to the plate???

EDIT....For those of you that have significant others with the permit what did they qualify with? Revolver or Auto, and what caliber?

I think u are actually asking, " WHO IS STUPID " !!??:sifone:

Tommy Gun
02-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I think u are actually asking, " WHO IS STUPID " !!??:sifone:

Is there a full moon tonight?

RLJ676
02-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Is there a full moon tonight?

I suppose we should collectively ignore his comment?

Chris
02-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Maybe we can get back on track here...

On weapons and calibers- I would stay with a double-action revolver in 38 special. They're more reliable than anything else and the caliber is more than enough to end the typical engagement.

Revolvers don't have safeties, magazine releases, slide releases and the don't fail to feed. Not much to think about and that's good when you have alot on your mind.

Carrying a weapon to defend your life is serious business. The CCW class is a legal requirement. You're required to exhibit basic competence in the function of your weapon under firing range conditions. And while lots of practice at a range is better than nothing, getting some professional instruction is invaluable. It never ceases to amaze me how many people have never fired from their weak hand, let alone from any other position. A good trainer will concentrate on teacing shooting in pressure situations. The most important thing a defensive shooter needs to become aware of is that virtually all of these type of engagements happen at very close ranges- often less than 10 feet. That's a whole different kind of shooting.

Tony
02-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I will agree a DA .38 would strongly suggest one with a concealed hammer if the barrel length is shorter than 4". You absolutly cant beat the reliability of a wheel gun.

.38+p out of a "snub nose" barrel in a DAO "dual action only or "hammerless" pistol is a real handfull. Even a seasoned shooter my be unpleasantly supprised that they cant put 5 rounds in a 6" pie plate at 15ft. with a DAO. The concealed hammer takes half the trouble out of it by shooting in single action "cocked hammer".

Expensive Date
02-03-2010, 11:29 PM
that is because badazzes like Stecz and Tony Soprano live there! (both imaginary tough guys :D)

Tony is dead don't you have HBO down in florida?

Expensive Date
02-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Agree with the revolver easy nothing to screw up.The little snubs do kick pretty hard though.Took all my kids shooting at a range in Florida few years back boys hated the snub my daughter like it better.

JupiterSunsation
02-04-2010, 12:44 AM
Tony is dead don't you have HBO down in florida?

really A&E is still on season 3......:D

buck
02-04-2010, 02:12 AM
Ok, maybe I mislead the masses a little by my initial post and questions that were in it.

I try to stay out of controversy as much as possible while posting on these boards. It gets me nowhere in the long run. Not to mention I come here because I enjoy the company of the people I share these forums with. I realize that I started this thread and I get to deal with the responses I get like them or not. In short, my following statements are more from frustration and not anger. Please don't take me wrong.

First off, if you'll read closely I commented that I already have my own reasons for her doing it. No one person's opinion need be expressed on why I or my wife has chosen to do this. I would think the only appropriate response would be words of encouragement such as "good for her!" or "that's awesome!".

A large group of mutual friends that are multiple gun owners have spouses that have decided to get further handgun training and pursue a concealed carry permit. The fact remains that 99.9% of them will not EVER carry a concealed weapon in their entire lives.

At the ripe age of 40 not only am I old enough to make this type of decision but I have a constitutional right to. I don't need anyone's opinion of whether or not I should be doing it or letting my wife do it for that matter.

A group of women have chosen to further their knowledge of the firearms that are possessed in the homes they live in.....nothing more!!! Big deal.

All I was looking for was some positive stories of the women that have taken this step and how it went for them. I was also trying to get an idea of how many of the women we share our lives with actually take the time to shoot and show interest in firearms.

I know what caliber my wife will be using. Out of curiosity I wondered what other women used. If I said what caliber my wife was using I would get 3 more pages of argument over that being wrong. Therefore I choose to keep that to myself.

After 35 years of handling, shooting, owning, and hunting with guns I can make the rest of the needed decisions based of my own experiences.

Can we get back on track now?

buck
02-04-2010, 02:18 AM
May as well throw this pic in for good measure. It's my then eleven year old daughter after shooting her first hog on spring break last year. That's right, a female youth handling a gun. Can't wait to see where this one goes.

MarylandMark
02-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Shouldn't the bolt be open for safety? :sifone: :rolleyes:

Them just jokes! Good for you Buck- got guns in the house, every one in the house should be trained on how to use them safely!

Birdog
02-04-2010, 07:11 AM
May as well throw this pic in for good measure. It's my then eleven year old daughter after shooting her first hog on spring break last year. That's right, a female youth handling a gun. Can't wait to see where this one goes.

I think thats cool as hell ! Love to see kids hunting.

Sea-Dated
02-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Great pic Buck. You should be proud.

As far as the wives go, my wife does not have her CCW yet. We are talking about getting it for simply for the fact that she sometimes drives my car and I usually keep a loaded gun in there and it would just make life so much easier if she had the CCW. She never intends on carrying and knows that she might not have what it takes to use it if the time ever came.

She does enjoy shooting though. She has not been able to in a while since she is pregnant but she really enjoys her Walther P22 and she can tolerate a 9mm but hates m .40. I am hoping after our son is born to get her back to the range and get her comfortable with handling and shooting again after taking almost a year off from shooting.

Knot 4 Me
02-04-2010, 10:05 AM
My wife has been known to throw canned goods at me. I can only imagine what would happen if she had a .40 cal tucked into the small of her back! :eek: :sifone: She is also the world's biggest klutz. No need for her to handle something that goes boom.

Ange
02-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I guess I am the first female to actually respond to this! My BF has his CCW and owns 5 guns. I inherited my dad's 9mm Helwan, which is a remake of a 1951 Beretta Brigadeer. He had wood grips added to it, and a custom holster made. Now that I am in MD, I most likely won't be able to get my CCW. However, my uncle teaches classes in Richmond, VA. I will take his class and apply for a non-resident permit.

I have been shooting at a very tightly controlled range in NC where you can't even walk in without reading the six pages of rules and information and they watch you read it on camera. You have to hold an ID up to the camera to come in once you are done reading. When you get in, you have to read more information and you get quizzed, your guns and ammo are looked over BEFORE you are allowed on the range. This is also a police qualifying range, so I was actually very comfortable there.

All of that being said, I don't know if I will carry the majority of the time when I live somewhere that I can. I would like to carry to work on the job I'm starting as I will be going into DC and the job site is NOT in the best neighborhood. However, gun carrying is a no-no in DC. Figures. I can say that if threatened, I might not shoot to kill if I don't have to, but I will take someone out at the knees. And I CAN hit them.

Expensive Date
02-05-2010, 01:09 AM
I guess I am the first female to actually respond to this! My BF has his CCW and owns 5 guns. I inherited my dad's 9mm Helwan, which is a remake of a 1951 Beretta Brigadeer. He had wood grips added to it, and a custom holster made. Now that I am in MD, I most likely won't be able to get my CCW. However, my uncle teaches classes in Richmond, VA. I will take his class and apply for a non-resident permit.

I have been shooting at a very tightly controlled range in NC where you can't even walk in without reading the six pages of rules and information and they watch you read it on camera. You have to hold an ID up to the camera to come in once you are done reading. When you get in, you have to read more information and you get quizzed, your guns and ammo are looked over BEFORE you are allowed on the range. This is also a police qualifying range, so I was actually very comfortable there.

All of that being said, I don't know if I will carry the majority of the time when I live somewhere that I can. I would like to carry to work on the job I'm starting as I will be going into DC and the job site is NOT in the best neighborhood. However, gun carrying is a no-no in DC. Figures. I can say that if threatened, I might not shoot to kill if I don't have to, but I will take someone out at the knees. And I CAN hit them.

Ange if you ever have to use your weapon never ever say shoot to kill.Its always shoot to stop.

buck
04-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Update on this topic...

She took both the gun safety course and concealed carry class. She's pretty much hooked now. We shoot quite a bit together but I think this has given her a new outlook on it.

I stopped by the store the day the women were taking the class. Spoke to the store owner for a few minutes while the class was going on. He said it was hands down the best smelling class he had ever had in there. Figures, 19 females in a classroom would make it smell good.

The instructor was quoted as saying it was the most attentive class he had ever taught and probably one of the easiest. Funny how things can be when you take testosterone out of the picture. :)

Buck