PDA

View Full Version : TotalProtect Home Warranties

Sea-Dated
01-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Anyone ever use them. I got an app in the mail from my mortgage company offering this home warranty packet they are selling. I am thinking of doing it since I know our AC and Furnace are old as is some of our plumbing and I like the idea of a $75 deductible instead of a few grand for a new heat and AC system. It is only like $40 per month but I don't want to do it if it is going to be a pain in the azz to file a claim or get something fixed if the heat goes out in the middle of winter or the AC dies in the middle of the summer.

Thanks in advance.

BillR
01-20-2010, 11:48 AM
My mother in law had them.
It worked well for her as she was on very limited income.

Wobble
01-20-2010, 11:50 AM
I had one on a house I purchased(dont remember the insurance co though), it ended up costing them a double oven, a garbage disposal and a furnace.

Suggest you get info from the national BBB. Mine required a certain sequence of events, as long as you followed that, it was a good experience.

LotoSteve
01-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Would'nt they do an inspection first and excluded coverage for old stuff?

Sea-Dated
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM

It claims in the packet that no inspection is needed.

LotoSteve
01-20-2010, 01:22 PM
What about the fine print. No coverage on stuff that is just plain wore out? Hell, I could cost them 8k just in the first month of coverage. :)

Wobble
01-20-2010, 02:04 PM

It is a selling point, the seller pays for the policy. In my case I knew the house needed new appliances and so did the seller.

If they couldn't easily repair an appliance they just replaced it or offered a dollar amount. They didn't care how old.

Shockwave
01-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Here in Ontario all builders are required by law to enroll every new home with Tarion New Home Warranty. www.tarion.com
My only issue is most of the guidelines are written by big city builders ,
but it gives homeowners protection from the less desirable Builders .
On their site you can look up the history of how many homes have been built and any "chargable concilliations" ( very bad) they have had .

Sea-Dated
01-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Did a little more research and there are way too many complaints against this company for me to send them a dine.

Thanks everyone