PDA

View Full Version : New sterndrive and engine package

Magicfloat
11-17-2008, 03:23 PM
www.caudwellmarine.com Anybody seen this? Brand new drive with engines from Infinity,V-6 and V-8. The designer is supposedly backed by a British billionaire.

BBB725
11-17-2008, 03:33 PM
From South Africa, they really don't like Mercury:biggrinjester:

MacGyver
11-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Dry sump, stainless steel, nice. Weird seeing an engine mounted at a 45° angle.

macjazzy
11-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Volvo-Penta is still not as accepted as Mercury and they are using the same basic engines. I'm afraid this billionaire wasted his money. No matter how technically advanced his design is when people go to sign on the dotted line they will go with the tried and true.

And I can't see any builders making the radical changes to their boats needed for this package. Volvo never really got deep into the market until they made their drives use the same transom cut out as Merc.

Magicfloat
11-17-2008, 08:49 PM
I agree.Even Yamaha,with all their money and engineering expertise,was unable to break into the market in the early 90's. They had a nice product,but no one cared.

Von Bongo
11-17-2008, 09:05 PM
best way to earn a couple hundred million in the boat business, start with a billion

But I'm glad someone's still trying new stuff.

I see a problem already in the litarature, it says

"The natural design geometry introduces a trim down component during turns, improving handling, torque neutrality and safety."

That may be a problem for the newer step bottom boats now in production

open72
11-17-2008, 09:19 PM
6200-6900 rpm range:willy_nilly::eek:

Ted
11-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Volvo-Penta is still not as accepted as Mercury and they are using the same basic engines. I'm afraid this billionaire wasted his money. No matter how technically advanced his design is when people go to sign on the dotted line they will go with the tried and true.

And I can't see any builders making the radical changes to their boats needed for this package. Volvo never really got deep into the market until they made their drives use the same transom cut out as Merc.

Aw Jeez, he mentioned Volvo, now C Spray will be here anytime now :sifone:

That's like turning on the Bat Beacon :biggrinjester:

Tom A.
11-18-2008, 10:25 AM
:dupe::dupe:

pullmytrigger
11-18-2008, 10:33 AM
best way to earn a couple hundred million in the boat business, start with a billion

what I was thinking.....

Perlmudder
11-18-2008, 01:27 PM
cool looking i guess...looks like a lot of gears that might break...