PDA

View Full Version : Virginia DMV - Can you get an address with just a plate #?

Seafordguy
01-07-2010, 06:30 PM
I was just driving my wife's jeep and had a road rage incident with this guy.

Actually it was just him doing the raging, I completely ignored him and didn't say a single thing since I was in my wife's car.

BUT he wrote my plate down and now I am wondering if he can get our address based on that plate info? I know you can if you have the VIN, but does anyone know about the plate? Been searching the DMV website and haven't seen any forms, or record requests that could indicate he could.

Seems like it would be a recipe for disaster if people could get addresses from plate #'s.....

Anyone have any knowledge here?

MacGyver
01-07-2010, 06:49 PM
I think all he can do is report your # to the police and see if the police will tell them your name and address, which I don't think they will. If he has a DMV friend or a cop friend, then it might be a different story.

Bobcat
01-07-2010, 06:50 PM
some states you can buy the info.

Seafordguy
01-07-2010, 06:59 PM

With the Plate?

I know here you can buy it but only with the VIN.

Bobcat
01-07-2010, 07:13 PM
call em and ask.

Seafordguy
01-07-2010, 07:22 PM
call em and ask.

I am - but I am also going to go to the DMV tomorrow and change plates. The more I think about it the more I don't want my wife driving around our town with that guy having our plate #. Especially since they are personalized plates....

MacGyver
01-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I am - but I am also going to go to the DMV tomorrow and change plates. The more I think about it the more I don't want my wife driving around our town with that guy having our plate #. Especially since they are personalized plates....

I'm sure the dude will forget it by tomorrow. I wouldn't bother changing plates, especially personalized ones.

JupiterSunsation
01-07-2010, 07:40 PM

Just get the plate "SUNKIN"........nobody will mess with that car again, kinda like all those Chuck Norris one liners......

ThrottleUp Props
01-07-2010, 07:49 PM
No the public cannot access that data base. Each and everytime an officer pulls up a plate it is recorded as to who has pulled it, is my understanding.

Julie

Seafordguy
01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
No the public cannot access that data base. Each and everytime an officer pulls up a plate it is recorded as to who has pulled it, is my understanding.

Julie

THAT makes sense......

JFM
01-07-2010, 08:22 PM
There are web sites that allow you to do plate searches but they cost money. They claim to give all the info of the person who owns the car. I don't know cause I have never used it before.

MacGyver
01-07-2010, 08:28 PM
My nephew is interested in law enforcement and did a ride-along on a Friday night with the local cops. As they drove back and forth through downtown, the officers entered as many plate numbers they could, looking for anyone that shouldn't be driving. Some might feel thats BS, but I'm OK with it. We have too many drunks on the road as it is :willy_nilly:

OldSchool
01-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Just get the plate "SUNKIN"........nobody will mess with that car again, kinda like all those Chuck Norris one liners......

My plates say "MikeyFIN". When I drive down the road people just get out of the way!!!!:driving:

:26::sifone::26::sifone::26::sifone:

OldSchool
01-07-2010, 09:23 PM
If he has a DMV friend or a cop friend, then it might be a different story.

Bingo. Did you get his? Let me know if you want the info. I might be able to help you out. :cool:

If you are really scared, you should call the police. :)

Seafordguy
01-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Bingo. Did you get his? Let me know if you want the info. I might be able to help you out. :cool:

If you are really scared, you should call the police. :)

Not that concerned - we live WAY off the beating path and it's one way in and one way out PAST the sherrif's office so he would have to be an idiot, and my Shepard would be going NUTS at the front door. My primary concern about the guy showing up at the house would be him vandalizing a car/boat/etc....

I am more concerned that one day a week or month from now he sees my wife driving and ****s with her thinking it is me. If I'd have been in the dually I'd have just brake checked him, but let it pass by since I was in her car.

I've never seen anyone this irate over NOTHING..... Guy had a screw loose.

JupiterSunsation
01-08-2010, 12:45 AM
My plates say "MikeyFIN". When I drive down the road people just get out of the way!!!!:driving:

:26::sifone::26::sifone::26::sifone:

My front plate says "NIFyekiM" so they pull over when they see that in their mirrors! :D

Perlmudder
01-08-2010, 12:52 AM

they did that in the fast and the furious...

MarylandMark
01-08-2010, 08:38 AM
My nephew is interested in law enforcement and did a ride-along on a Friday night with the local cops. As they drove back and forth through downtown, the officers entered as many plate numbers they could, looking for anyone that shouldn't be driving. Some might feel thats BS, but I'm OK with it. We have too many drunks on the road as it is :willy_nilly:

In Maryland they have dash cams that enter the info in automatically. This is from Canada but same technology:

1 forward- scans cars passing in the other direction
1 forward- scans cars in front or next lane over
1 side- scans parking lots

3,000 plates an hour!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGY1CD9y_4

I'd report his actions to the po-po just in case. Car description, time of day, etc- any and every detail. Tell them you think the guy wrote down your tag and you want it on record in case this turns in to some thing and you may be able to find out if he made a complaint on you as well. Even if he has a cop friend, if the cop friend starts digging around and correlates your complaint with what his buddy is asking for, I doubt the cop friend wants to get any further involved...

Bobcat
01-08-2010, 08:39 AM
go to the DMV, they'll sell you anything.