PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Smartphone help please

ILMORdude
01-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Im ready for udgrade and i have been thinkin about a smartphone/blackberry. A buddy has the storm and he is happy with it. The storm and storm2 are on sale now. Im looking for a bit of SOS advice before i pull the trigger.

Thanks

pasquesi
01-04-2010, 10:15 PM
I went from the iPhone to a Storm 2 on Verizon. I cannot take the dropped calls with AT&T. Anyway, the Storm has a USELESS web browser. Also, the touchscreen has a weird feel to it. You actually have to depress the glass as if it was a real keyboard. The character that you press lights up....which is useless since your fingertip is covering it! And the autocorrect feature is horrible. However, the Blackberry email is instant and the best there is. I returned the phone after 3 1/2 weeks though. I exchanged it for a Motorola Droid, which is beautiful. Gives you the option of a slide out real keyboard, or the touchscreen. The touchscreen has the character display ABOVE the finger press...so you know what you're pressing! And the Gmail push is just as fast as the blackBerry mail..as long as you forward your existing email to Gmail. If you have the gmail go after your pop3, it takes about a half hour. The web browser is fabulous.

Von Bongo
01-04-2010, 10:30 PM
I have the motorola droid and I like the touch screen as well as having the key board. My b in law has the HTC with the droid, no keyboard and he like it too. personally I like having the keyboard as the touch is too small on the screen. Web browser works well. I'd recommend it.

ILMORdude
01-04-2010, 10:50 PM
good feedback. I did consider the Droid, however i dont think its international-capable which is one thing i may require. Still undecided...........

BY U BOY
01-04-2010, 11:09 PM
I chose the crackberry curve over the storm because i have fat fingers. Play with all of them then choose. Also Verizon has a 30 day exchange program.

anchorman
01-04-2010, 11:14 PM
good feedback. I did consider the Droid, however i dont think its international-capable which is one thing i may require. Still undecided...........

HTC Ozone has international capictity but is a little slow. No touch Screen and no roller ball all a plus for me. Web browser is a little lacking and so is the camera. I went from a palm Treo which I was glad to get rid of.

insanity
01-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Do NOT go for the Storm, it's horrible and bug-ridden. The Storm 2 is a lot better from the people I have talked to, if you want a touchscreen, but as mentioned the 'clickable' face to select things is still a little wierd.

I spent about 3 days in a row on my lunch hour playing with the phones, and there were at least 2 people a day that came in and *****ed their Storm quit working. I finally decided on the Blackberry Tour. It is the international BB, its not a touch screen but it does have a pretty big screen and a full keyboard. It is the first phone in a long time that I absolutely love. It always works, never had it go crazy and freeze up like my Pearl would. It's a great phone, just about everybody I know that has had the Pearl or Storm has gotten rid of it for the Tour.

Knot 4 Me
01-05-2010, 09:48 AM
I got a Storm in May for "free" as my son wanted one for his bday. I had to have it replaced a week ago as part of the touch screen went dead. The feel of the screen is much better with the latest version of the software (5.0+). The touch keyboard does take some getting used to but once you do, I find I like it better than the BB Curve I have for work. The browser isn't the best. The camera is very good. The phone does have a tendency to freeze up to where you have to reboot it by removing the battery. Overall, there are better options.

Chris
01-05-2010, 09:57 AM
On Yahoo this morning- what not to buy in 2010

Smartphone also-rans

In the past few years, several smartphones hit the market with similar features to the iPhone and BlackBerry, but they haven't generated the same buzz. As a result, fewer developers are likely to create applications and other products that cater to those phones.

Today, the BlackBerry dominates the smartphone market with 40% market share, followed by the iPhone with 25%, according to data released by ComScore in December. In the near term, both are expected to stay at the top. ComScore found that most consumers who'll be shopping for smartphones in the next three months plan to purchase a Blackberry (51%) or an iPhone (20%).

By contrast, only 5% of respondents said they planned to purchase T-Mobile's MyTouch. The Palm Pre and Palm Centro received 2% and 1% of the vote, respectively.

A possible upcoming competitor that could shake up the space is Google's (GOOG) Android. According to ComScore, as of October, the Android's market share had doubled to 3.5% in the past year.

ZBODaytona
01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I have a Storm. I like the phone. My browser works just fine, I did have some issues in the begining but since the updated software has come out, everything works great. I would do the Storm 2 though. I-phone users hate the Storm, because it is different, my wife has the i-phone I have a storm, i can use either, she does fine with mine too. I have less mess ups on the storm than the i-phone because you actually click the screen to make it work. Someone coming in never having a touch screen probably won't see a problem. I haven't used any phone with the android system yet, but hear it is good... If I had an upgrade right now, I would go with the Storm 2...if I was going to AT&T (they have better service in my area) I would go with the i-phone. That is only an option now because my work has switched e-mail. Before our e-mail would only work with blackberry.

MarylandMark
01-05-2010, 12:18 PM
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12363

I went from Iphone 3G to the HTC Droid...

inbetween
01-05-2010, 06:41 PM
4 Blackberry Curves and a Pearl Flip on our plan. No major issues (other than the bill $$).