PDA

View Full Version : Dog training question.......

JupiterSunsation
01-03-2010, 11:59 AM
My sister in law just dumped a 5 year old mini daschund on my mother in law. My M-I-L hasn't had a dog in 20 years and has the fantasy of re-training this mini daschund into the perfect dog. The mini has never been outside for walks, bathroom etc. and instead has always used "pee pads" which makes my M-I-L crazy that an animal was trained to go to the bathroom inside. This dog is also a "chewer" as in furniture, baseboards, etc, basically anything 6 inches or less off the ground. On the dog intelligence scale daschunds tend to score low on the scale, like bottom 20%. Dog also has been in FL its whole life, not exactly asking the dog to go pizz in 6 inch deep snow!
Does anyone think this dog is going to be trained into a decent pet or is the dog at age 5 as good as it will ever get?

I lucking have a wife that hates small dogs and "Penny" was never even an option for our household.

macjazzy
01-03-2010, 01:24 PM
It is an old wives tale that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. What is true though is it requires a lot more patients and hard work. Dogs learn in small increments that need to be repeated several times a day. ie. one 30 minute lesson a day won't do it. 3-4 15 minutes lesson, much better.

If she really wants to keep the dog and make it a member of the family I would highly recommend finding a dog trainer to take the dog and teach it house manners, basic commands etc.

I prefer the ones who will take the dog completely for a month or so and do all the training rather than me hauling the dog back an forth several times a week and going home with homework for me and the dog. Which is how those pet store training classes work.

They expect you to take what they show you and work with your dog a few times a day everyday til the next lesson. Fine if you have that kind of time, I don't.

One wives tale I truly believe is true is, there are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

Seafordguy
01-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I think she is going to have her work cut out for her considering it apparently is already so poorly behaved....

JupiterSunsation
01-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Sister in law is terrible with dogs and kids.......both of her dogs have been dogs I would have no tolerance for, she thinks dogs tearing up the house is cute and a 4 year old kid that lies constantly is charming. Kid is a brat and the dogs are a major headache. She owned a dalmation that would grab anything food related off kitchen counters and eat them whole (fruit, loaf of bread in the bag, etc). Dog was a constant run away...respond to a name call...NO WAY he was gone. Dog died at age 12 and she was then finally able to get new furniture without the dog tearing it up......the mini daschund is still a chewer but with smaller consequences.

My mother in law watches too many "dog whisperer" shows and thinks she will have a star pupil in 72 hours or less......so far it has been 24 hours and results are not great! :D

Madpoodle
01-03-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm with Mjazzy most of the way, though I would most likely work with the dog myself.. It will be an uphill battle, but in reality I believe in the end the dog and your MIL will be much closer and more in tune with each other.. She needs to start with the dog as if it is an un-housebroken puppy, and work from there.. Bitter apple on the chewable stuff along with lots of chew toys to train it as to what's allowed are going to be needed..

Had a niece show up here with those damn pads for her dog.. Didn't last long... :smash: :smash:

Ratickle
01-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Start with a small kennel to lock the dog in. They will almost never go where they have to lay. Then, every couple hours to start, take it outside to go. Should break the in-the-house part fairly quickly. Stretch the time as you go until it is only 3 or 4 times a day. Make it sleep in the kennel at night next to the bed or similar.

As for chewing stuff up, I don't know other than a muzzle until it learns which are its chew toys and which are strictly off limits. At 12 to 18 months it should have outgrown that.

Tommy Gun
01-03-2010, 02:24 PM
As for chewing stuff up, I don't know other than a muzzle until it learns which are its chew toys and which are strictly off limits. At 12 to 18 months it should have outgrown that.

They make a bitter apple spray. When the dog starts to chew on something inappropriate; correct and spray. Also, don't use old socks and shoes, etc. as toys. A dog doesn't know the difference between old and new.

boomer35
01-03-2010, 02:58 PM
lots of excersize (SP?) always got my dogs to stop chewing

Tony
01-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Start with the basics, sit, stay, come. Many people say not to train a dog with treats but I see no harm in it, you can wean them off the treats after time so they dont expect one every time they do something right. When the dog does as its told give it a treat. Use verbal and visual signals and do it the same way every time. Repetition is an absolute must. On house breaking Ratickle has it, you can also speed up the process by giving the dog a treat and praise imidiately after it "goes" outside. Dogs have to understand why they are being treated or corrected, if you cant do that then your wasting your time. A spray bottle of apple bitters should break the chewing habbit.

Tommy Gun
01-03-2010, 06:07 PM
You can also use a shock collar as a training device. I have two golden retrievers. When we got the second the first one who was 3 went to be retrained and they were both trained with the shock collars. You can train an older dog, but they can be stubborn at times.

Birdog
01-04-2010, 09:25 AM
lots of excersize (SP?) always got my dogs to stop chewing

That is the number1 training aid ! Adult dogs chew out of frustration.

Cage training is THE way to go for house breaking

macjazzy
01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
I would agree with Madpoodle about training yourself. But it sounds like the dog owner in question has trouble with discipline which is why I suggested a trainer who will take your dog and board it and train it all in one.

I have experience with that kind of trainer and have seen people with problem dogs have incredible results with a trainer who can 24/7 give the animal the direction and training it needs.

I also think that the hardest thing to teach a dog is the first thing, its like breaking the communication barrier or something. Once a dog learns how to learn (if that makes sense) it gets easier and easier to teach them new things.

Also I am a big believer in crate training as Ratickle brought up. My dogs have always been crate trained. Even as adults that are well behaved they have thier crate to go to if they want some alone time (dogs need alone time too) or some place to put them if a worker comes over or whatever. And if they have been raised with it all along its not punishment for them. Thats their home.

BY U BOY
01-04-2010, 10:43 PM
They make a bitter apple spray. When the dog starts to chew on something inappropriate; correct and spray. Also, don't use old socks and shoes, etc. as toys. A dog doesn't know the difference between old and new.

I never found the bitter apple to work with any of my dogs. My current lab was a chewer for a few days until she got her first taste of habanero pepper.I took whatever it was she was chewing and rubbed it with the pepper
and she never chewed anything that was not a bone again.

Ratickle
01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
I never found the bitter apple to work with any of my dogs. My current lab was a chewer for a few days until she got her first taste of habanero pepper.I took whatever it was she was chewing and rubbed it with the pepper

Just don't take a leak before washing your hands really well......:eek:

Madpoodle
01-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Just don't take a leak before washing your hands really well......:eek:

Sometimes it hurts less to do that than actually pee... :eek: :eek:

phragle
01-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Cuda will train it for you.......

Tommy Gun
01-05-2010, 11:54 AM

All we have to do is say the word "spray" and they drop whatever they have.