PDA

View Full Version : My new best friend

rchevelle71
12-30-2009, 01:30 AM
We had to put our 13 year old dalmation to sleep about 3 months ago. I finally feel good enough to get another dog. We went to the animal shelter today looking for a small dog, but ended up with an 8 week old Husky mix. I almost took the whole litter, but while I was trying to figure out if I had enough room for 3 huskies, the other 2 were adopted, one by my wifes best friend who just happened to be at the shelter when we arrived. At least he will see his brother often. Trying to crate train now, probably gonna be a LOOOOONG night. Hopefully he likes water, I may need to get a bigger boat.

baywatch
12-30-2009, 01:34 AM
Congrats!! he is a cutie.

ThrottleUp Props
12-30-2009, 08:55 AM
What a doll, Rick! I am glad your heart is healing, so you can love this little guy!

Julie

cigdaze
12-30-2009, 08:59 AM
What a good lookin' pup! Too cute. :)

Ted
12-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Great looking pup, ya done good by going to the shelter. Check for webbing between the toes. It looks like he may have some Lab in him and if he does you probably have a great water dog.:)

MacGyver
12-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Congrats, he's a great looking pup!

Wrinkleface
12-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Nice look'n little pupster!!! Congratz!!:cheers2:

cuda
12-30-2009, 09:32 AM
There is nothing in the world cuter than a puppy! It's too bad they turn into dogs. :)

HiZ
12-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Ruffffffffffffffff

rchevelle71
12-30-2009, 09:38 AM
What a doll, Rick! I am glad your heart is healing, so you can love this little guy!

Julie

Thanks Julie,

It was tough, the Dalmation went through a lot with me, In this order. Marriage, Divorce, many strange girls in his house, moving to florida, many strange girls in his house, Marriage. Just when I decided to settle down again was when he got sick, But Jen Loved him for the last 4 years of his life. I swore I would never get a big dog again, but lets just say when we got to the shelter I realized I am not a Pekingese kinda guy:sifone:

rchevelle71
12-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Great looking pup, ya done good by going to the shelter. Check for webbing between the toes. It looks like he may have some Lab in him and if he does you probably have a great water dog.:)

Didnt think about the webbing, I'll look when he wakes up. I am thinking either Lab or Shephard, his brother had some Brown markings, so could be either.

rchevelle71
12-30-2009, 09:42 AM
There is nothing in the world cuter than a puppy! It's too bad they turn into dogs. :)

SOOOO True,

Hopefully he ends up to be one of the good ones. He has a Golden Retriever across the street to teach him manners, and his Brother will be around occasionally to play.

jayboat
12-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Cool move, Rick. His paws look ginormous. Have you named him yet?

Sea-Dated
12-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Too Cute..... Congrats on the new addition.....

THEJOKER
12-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Nice pup

Scarab KV
12-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Cool pup. Mixes always make great pets:)

rchevelle71
12-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Cool move, Rick. His paws look ginormous. Have you named him yet?

The Shelter named him Harry, I told Jen we should keep it, but change the spelling to Hairy, cuz thats what she is gonna be cleaning up:leaving:

cuda
12-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Cool pup. Mixes always make great pets:)

That's true because when they breed for a certain pet, they get the genes that make them have hip dysplacia etc. My two boys are a mix of cur dog, and American Bulldog. Spot looks 100% AB, but you can see the cur in Bandit, even though they are littermates. When I got Dixie (Lab) I didn't want a Yellow, or Chocolate Lab, because that's what they were breeding for. Dixie didn't have a spot of white on her. She has an old grey beard now, much like her daddy. :( :)

dykstra
12-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Congrats on your new pup. Cutie.

MikeyFIN
12-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Good Luck Rick..my Dalmatian was put away at 13 also the 3.12.2009...miss him a lot but not ready for an own dog yet.

YankeY
12-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Congratulations, and he looks like he'll be a great friend. We almost packed up a italian greyhound at the rescue my wife's mom volunteers at.

Spicy
12-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Huskies are great pets Chloe just turned 9 in November..... Beautiful little puppy enjoy!!!

Ratickle
12-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Nice....

Congratulations

rchevelle71
12-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Good Luck Rick..my Dalmatian was put away at 13 also the 3.12.2009...miss him a lot but not ready for an own dog yet.

Sorry to hear that, the dalmation was great, but a lot of work. He had a ruff life and still made it longer than most. Dont rush into another it is a big committment, I wouldnt have done it, but the wife missed the dalmation.

Madpoodle
12-30-2009, 10:43 PM
R, sorry to hear about the Dalmation, they are cool dogs.

I raised Siberian Husky's several years ago, still my favorite breed. Intelligent, loyal and great attitudes, just all around cool dogs. The Husky mix in yours will make him a roamer, and they can clear 4' fences in a single bound. I found the best way to deal with that was to never teach them to go over things, but to go around them. The last few I raised could be "fenced" in by placing a 6" tall object across a hallway to block them in. They would not come out until it was removed.

As far as water, mine all loved it. Excellent swimmers, my last one also accompanied me on motor and sailboats. I even got him to where he would not to flip me off the windsurfer when we went out..

32storm
12-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Huskies are great dogs...loving, loyal, mischievous, and very smart. I lost mine at 14.5 last year. They have a strong pack instinct, if you aren't the alpha, they will be. They are curious explorers, and this can get them into trouble. They usually don't make good watchdogs, as they want to be everyones friend. They can be high energy and love their excercise.

rchevelle71
12-30-2009, 11:33 PM

I raised Siberian Husky's several years ago, still my favorite breed. Intelligent, loyal and great attitudes, just all around cool dogs. The Husky mix in yours will make him a roamer, and they can clear 4' fences in a single bound. I found the best way to deal with that was to never teach them to go over things, but to go around them. The last few I raised could be "fenced" in by placing a 6" tall object across a hallway to block them in. They would not come out until it was removed.

As far as water, mine all loved it. Excellent swimmers, my last one also accompanied me on motor and sailboats. I even got him to where he would not to flip me off the windsurfer when we went out..

We have a set of stairs to get on the couch that I made and carpeted to match the living room when the Dalmation was having problems, this little critter figured them out in less than 24 hours. I may need a taller fence, only got 4' around the house now, but I know if its up to the wife he will be a lap dog.

rchevelle71
12-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Huskies are great dogs...loving, loyal, mischievous, and very smart. I lost mine at 14.5 last year. They have a strong pack instinct, if you aren't the alpha, they will be. They are curious explorers, and this can get them into trouble. They usually don't make good watchdogs, as they want to be everyones friend. They can be high energy and love their excercise.

Excersise is no problem, he will get plenty of walks. We have about a 3 acre pond behind the house that is community property, all of the neghbors walk their dog around it, about 1/4 mile wak or so. I did this with the Dalmation for the last few years(since we have lived here), its a great way to meet neighbors, and their dogs. Also, with his brother staying in the family(with a close friend) he will get time at the dog park with his brother.

MikeyFIN
12-31-2009, 05:01 AM
Sorry to hear that, the dalmation was great, but a lot of work. He had a ruff life and still made it longer than most. Dont rush into another it is a big committment, I wouldnt have done it, but the wife missed the dalmation.

Being single and a Trucker canīt have a dog, plus doesnīt know for sure where Iīll end up living in the future.
Huskies would fare well at least this winter over here, boy havenīt had this much snow for a decade But Iīm thinking a Bullterrier would fit my bill.

The Dalmatian we had was way too smart to be a dog...sat on the sofa like a human and liked to be a 85lbs lap dog...
Loved me the day I met him @ 4 months old and was always my lap dog thenagain Iīve always been well met by dogs.
Came to us as 4―yrs after a divorce.
Could also tell when I was stressed and stayed away though.

But being that and having German shephards before I had a hard time learning It canīt walk with you like a German..( a robot that is..)
Itīs a watch dog also and being muscular a ruff around children.
And with other dogs..well lets just say a hardheaded tough sob mine was at least, didnīt give back an inch and was ready for an whooping knowing someday he will be on top the other ( in our cases a great Dane and Rottie at the stables..)
The picture people have of Dalmatians is quite misleading...like you said a lot of work...

fund razor
12-31-2009, 07:08 AM

I raised Siberian Husky's several years ago, still my favorite breed. Intelligent, loyal and great attitudes, just all around cool dogs. The Husky mix in yours will make him a roamer, and they can clear 4' fences in a single bound. I found the best way to deal with that was to never teach them to go over things, but to go around them.

100% agreed.

rchevelle71
12-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Being single and a Trucker canīt have a dog, plus doesnīt know for sure where Iīll end up living in the future.
Huskies would fare well at least this winter over here, boy havenīt had this much snow for a decade But Iīm thinking a Bullterrier would fit my bill.

The Dalmatian we had was way too smart to be a dog...sat on the sofa like a human and liked to be a 85lbs lap dog...
Loved me the day I met him @ 4 months old and was always my lap dog thenagain Iīve always been well met by dogs.
Came to us as 4―yrs after a divorce.
Could also tell when I was stressed and stayed away though.

But being that and having German shephards before I had a hard time learning It canīt walk with you like a German..( a robot that is..)
Itīs a watch dog also and being muscular a ruff around children.
And with other dogs..well lets just say a hardheaded tough sob mine was at least, didnīt give back an inch and was ready for an whooping knowing someday he will be on top the other ( in our cases a great Dane and Rottie at the stables..)
The picture people have of Dalmatians is quite misleading...like you said a lot of work...

Beutiful dog,

mine acted just like that, but looked a little different, he was kinda a misfit, blotches rather than spots in some places, and small, was only 50 pounds.

MikeyFIN
12-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Well that one was a showdog in itīs former life...and hated it.

That one was a brink of being overbuilt and the head more of an amstaffs and too square than the typical rounded one Dalmatians are supposed to have but the smiles it gave made those not familiair with dogs take precautions...

MikeyFIN
12-31-2009, 08:48 PM
100% agreed.

Nice pic and a fine example.

Madpoodle
12-31-2009, 10:52 PM
We have a set of stairs to get on the couch that I made and carpeted to match the living room when the Dalmation was having problems, this little critter figured them out in less than 24 hours. I may need a taller fence, only got 4' around the house now, but I know if its up to the wife he will be a lap dog.

Stairs not a problem, just don't train him to go OVER anything.. People used to freak out at Kennedy park in the Grove when my Huskies would do a belly crawl under the 2' tall fence there rather than go over it. The only thing I taught them to jump in was the truck..