PDA

View Full Version : Boats vs. Musical Instruments

Buoy
12-29-2009, 01:41 AM
OK, We've all seen threads comparing different boat brands to cars, and I know many of us are, or once were musicians ( or at least we had long hair and played in a rock band).

Let's have some fun and compare rock music instrument brands to boat brands.
I'll go:

Cigarette - Gibson Les Paul (Just a big solid performer and a classic, it'll never go away)
Fountain - Fender Strat (a little sleeker than a Les Paul, but a thinner, and just as classic sound, never going to go away)
Zildjain - Apache (It doesn't sound much better)
Ludwig - Pantera (Just think of the heavy THUMP)
BC Rich - Baja (More of a production thing, but still cool)
Paiste - Scarab/Wellcraft That was all in the day
Tama - ???
Marshall - Skater (Been doing it right forever
Peavey - ???
Crate - ???
Paul Reed Smith - ???
Yamaha - ???

Just looking for some wintertime non-political non confrontational debate for fun.
Feel free to chime in guys.:seeya:

Coolerman
12-29-2009, 02:03 AM
Yamaha - Formula

Coolerman
12-29-2009, 02:15 AM
Gretsch - ?

Buoy
12-29-2009, 02:29 AM
Yamaha - Formula

Good call!!

Thanks for playing along - this could get fun:)

Perlmudder
12-29-2009, 02:56 AM
taylor - mti (as custom and tricked out as you want it!)

Bill N
12-29-2009, 08:55 AM
PRS= Outerlimits I think maybe Bc Rich can get upgraded alittle from Baja I have an 88 Gunslinger & it still sounds & plays great!

cosmic12
12-29-2009, 10:22 AM
I would have put the Les Paul with Apache.
Why? you might ask.
Weight........I have a bad left shoulder that will atest to it
I also would have put Marshall along with it,
One 100 watt stack (old tube type) will pound the pizz outa anything that has tried to imatate it and many have tried none have even come close.

I think the Strat would be more atuned to the 42 Fountian.
The star of the brand alittle thinner and lighter than others but truly an original often imatated but never replaced and in the right hands can be made to out perform all others and I would put the Twin Reverb or the Duel Showman along with it as the only other amps close to the Marshall.

Maybe the S.G. would be the Cig along with a Vox Royal Gaurdsmen:rolleyes:

phragle
12-29-2009, 10:48 AM
so who's Hondo??

cosmic12
12-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Gretsch - ?

Country Gentelman........................The Brand claim to fame
Flats boat or a John boat, no guts no glory but it will get ya around:rolleyes:

Indy
12-29-2009, 07:00 PM
I would have put the Les Paul with Apache.

100% agree

And the Strat/Fountain analogy bothers me. Too much BS surrounding Fountain boats and the company's owner. Strat/Cig makes more sense, been around forever, classic, no BS, straight forward with a huge following.

Buoy
12-29-2009, 08:43 PM
But, you can't put a Les Paul with Apache - too many Les Pauls out there, not many Apaches.

Strat, I went with Fountain because I think of Fountain as narrow and sleek.
The first time I strapped on a Strat, I was amazed at how it "hugged"me.

How about a few more:

Steinberger?
Telecaster?
Gibson Flying V has got to be the Batboat!

cosmic12
12-29-2009, 09:18 PM
I wasn't thinking quanity but quality and the real beginning of out-n-out power.

cosmic12
12-29-2009, 09:23 PM
100% agree

And the Strat/Fountain analogy bothers me. Too much BS surrounding Fountain boats and the company's owner. Strat/Cig makes more sense, been around forever, classic, no BS, straight forward with a huge following.

Well, if you talk to L.P. players they for the most part want nothing to do with a Strat, I know thats how I was for a long time.
And real hard core Strat guys will always ***** about how heavy and thick an L.P. is and that anyone can make one sound good. So theres your B.S. to go with'em:rolleyes:

Coolerman
12-29-2009, 09:27 PM
steinberger - Statement maybe? Sleek, narrow, nimble, and modern looking/stylish.

Indy
12-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Well, if you talk to L.P. players they for the most part want nothing to do with a Strat, I know thats how I was for a long time.
And real hard core Strat guys will always ***** about how heavy and thick an L.P. is and that anyone can make one sound good. So theres your B.S. to go with'em:rolleyes:

I know plenty that play both. I play both and there's a place for all guitars. I don't know a single musician that snubs other instruments, they each have their own unique sound which is cool. I have Marshall and Fender amps, am I supposed to get territorial over those too?

Buoy
12-29-2009, 10:08 PM
This isn't territorial at all, just comparison for fun.

I'm a Strat guy. I like the "Bright/Thin" sound of a Strat.
LP's have a more Warm, thick, toney sound.
Even if you put Humbuckers in a Strat, it's still never going to sound like a Paul.

I sold my Marshall half-stack, and bought a micro-stack just to still have an amp, and not take as much space.

Martin = ChrisCraft.

Buoy
12-29-2009, 10:10 PM
steinberger - Statement maybe? Sleek, narrow, nimble, and modern looking/stylish.

I was thinking along those lines, or, what is the make of Mashers boat.

Slandrew
12-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Skater Hammond B-3:)

Cash Bar
12-30-2009, 12:27 AM
I was thinkin more like:

Fountain=Ukulele

Looks like a guitar, only smaller.

With a much tinnier(?) sound.

Built like paper.

About $5 at your local dealer.

I'm just sayin'.... :leaving::willy_nilly:

Coolerman
12-30-2009, 02:21 AM
bayliner - guitar hero; it can be fun with a group of people, but it ain't anything like a real boat

Coolerman
12-30-2009, 02:21 AM
I was thinkin more like:

Fountain=Ukulele

Looks like a guitar, only smaller.

With a much tinnier(?) sound.

Built like paper.

About $5 at your local dealer.

I'm just sayin'.... :leaving::willy_nilly:

:eek:

Coolerman
12-30-2009, 02:24 AM
I was thinking along those lines, or, what is the make of Mashers boat.

activator i think......

Knot 4 Me
12-30-2009, 10:52 AM
And real hard core Strat guys will always ***** about how heavy and thick an L.P. is and that anyone can make one sound good. So theres your B.S. to go with'em:rolleyes:Love LP's. But I am living proof that it is total B.S. that anyone can make them sound good! :sifone: Which is why I sold it and bought a Fender Jazz bass back in the day (insert bass player jokes here). Today I plunk around on a Fender Precision and don't ask me how, but I have an old Kramer Focus Strat knock-off laying around. I would say the Kramer = IMP?! :eek: The Precision = Tug boat?! :cheers2:

Audiofn
12-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Mesa Boogie - Statement: Low production, low sales, kick azz product

Slandrew
12-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Cigerette old bass drum:boxing_smiley: