PDA

View Full Version : Qualifications for POTUS

clayinaustin
12-26-2009, 12:23 PM
The Constitution states...

Eligibility
Article II, Section 1, Clause 5 of the Constitution sets the principal qualifications one must meet to be eligible to the office of president. A president must:

be a natural born citizen of the United States;[7]
be at least thirty-five years old;
have been a permanent resident in the United States for at least fourteen years.
A person who meets the above qualifications is still disqualified from holding the office of president under any of the following conditions:

Under the Twenty-second Amendment, no eligible person can be elected president more than twice. The Twenty-second Amendment also specifies that if any eligible person who serves as president or acting president for more than two years of a term for which some other eligible person was elected president, then the former can only be elected president once. Scholars disagree whether anyone no longer eligible to be elected president could be elected vice president, pursuant to the qualifications set out under the Twelfth Amendment.[8]

Under Article I, Section 3, Clause 7, the Senate has the option, upon conviction, of disqualifying convicted individuals from holding other federal offices, including the Presidency.[9]

Under Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment, the Constitution prohibits an otherwise eligible person from becoming president if that person swore an oath to support the Constitution, and later rebelled against the United States. However, the Congress, by a two-thirds vote of each house, can remove the disqualification.

clayinaustin
12-26-2009, 12:28 PM
I would add...

If you want to be elected to a national office (i.e. President, Senator, Congressman), you need to have FIRST served in the "active military" (not reserves or national guard) for as many years as the office! In other words...

If you want to be President for 4 (or 8) years, then you need to first serve in the Active military (Army, Navy or Marines, Air Force, or Coast Guard) for 4 (or 8) years.

You want to be a US Senator? Great, but for you need to server 6 years in the active military. You want to be relected to 6 more years? Cool, but you need to serve 6 more years in the active military!

Before our elected officials send our troops off to die on foreign soil, I say they need to FIRST serve their country before they can get elected!

Just my two-cents... :cool:

Ratickle
12-26-2009, 01:15 PM
I would add...

If you want to be elected to a national office (i.e. President, Senator, Congressman), you need to have FIRST served in the "active military" (not reserves or national guard) for as many years as the office! In other words...

If you want to be President for 4 (or 8) years, then you need to first serve in the Active military (Army, Navy or Marines, Air Force, or Coast Guard) for 4 (or 8) years.

You want to be a US Senator? Great, but for you need to server 6 years in the active military. You want to be relected to 6 more years? Cool, but you need to serve 6 more years in the active military!

Before our elected officials send our troops off to die on foreign soil, I say they need to FIRST serve their country before they can get elected!

Just my two-cents... :cool:

That is a qualification I've never truely made my mind up on either way.

However, career politicians should not be allowed. Going to school to learn how to be elected is not what our founding fathers wanted to see. There should be proven business success....

Steve 1
12-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Then Why would Hussien spend over 1.5 million dollars fighting these cases instead of simply proving his citizenship status?

Steve 1
12-26-2009, 01:38 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/634e7070d5.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

phragle
12-26-2009, 01:44 PM
That opens an interesting can of worms......suppose it is eventually proven that he was not qualified to be prez. Would that make everything he has signed null and void due to fraud?

Ratickle
12-26-2009, 01:54 PM
That opens an interesting can of worms......suppose it is eventually proven that he was not qualified to be prez. Would that make everything he has signed null and void due to fraud?

This is one where it is moot at the current time, but I'd sure like to see how it plays out in the end.

My guess, the Supreme Court, or an appelate court and the Supreme Court will decline to hear the case, will decide that a natural born citizen is anyone born in a US State or Territory even if the parents are illegals.

Steve 1
12-26-2009, 01:57 PM
This is one where it is moot at the current time, but I'd sure like to see how it plays out in the end.

My guess, the Supreme Court, or an appelate court and the Supreme Court will decline to hear the case, will decide that a natural born citizen is anyone born in a US State or Territory even if the parents are illegals.

True but that nasty Kenyan Birth thing keeps popping up by his family there!