PDA

View Full Version : Doctor of Osteopathy

Magicfloat
12-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Hooked up with a new family doctor that I like.Noticed on the clinic business card the others there are M.D.s,but he is a D.O.Googled it but cannot determine actual differences. Is a D.O. below,equal.or above an M.D.?I'm just curious,I like him and trust him,but never heard the term.

12-21-2009, 05:42 PM
I would say equal.

My last two Family Docs and the orthopedic surgeon who fixed my shoulder were all D.O.s

As it was explained to me, D.O.s include skeletal manipulation into their training regimens.

Dentists can be classified as DDS or DMD. Absolutely the same thing.

cuda
12-21-2009, 05:55 PM
I would say equal.

My last two Family Docs and the orthopedic surgeon who fixed my shoulder were all D.O.s

As it was explained to me, D.O.s include skeletal manipulation into their training regimens.

Dentists can be classified as DDS or DMD. Absolutely the same thing.

I always thought the dentist had to be a DDS to do root canals (Doctor of Dental Surgery).

cigdaze
12-21-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm not quite sure...but I think I'd be leaning towards a real M.D. for all of your general primary care needs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathy

12-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I always thought the dentist had to be a DDS to do root canals (Doctor of Dental Surgery).

True, But a DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine) is the same thing, just a different label.

12-21-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm not quite sure...but I think I'd be leaning towards a real M.D. for all of your general primary care needs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathy

They have to take the same boards and licensure tests. They go through the same residencies, have the same mal-practice insurers.

Well, at least up here:rolleyes:

TCEd
12-21-2009, 06:41 PM
A good D.O. and a good M.D. are equal regardless of their speciality. They practice in the same hospitals and graduate from the same colleges in many cases.
ed

RedDog382
12-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Robert,

In the old days, osteopaths were more into the herbal medicines and manipulation, somewhat like a chiropracter. It was kind of a cross between the two. In recent years, there has been a trend toward more traditional medicine by the osteopaths. When I was at Johns Hopkins Hospital during training aboput 20 years ago, there was an osteopathic physician appointed as the Associate Medical Director of the Department of Emergency Medicine. Given that Hopkins was a institution founded on tradition and a major center of medical research and academic medicine, this was a groundbreaking change.

Since then I have worked with many D.O.'s or osteopaths in Emergency Medicine and in general they are very well-trained. I have come to respect good D.O.'s as much as any of the M.D.'s I have worked with, some even more. I have even consulted some of my D.O. colleagues to use manipulation to help break severe muscle spasms and muscle-tension headaches when I could not get a patient comfortable with muscle relaxants and pain medications.

B.T.W., how did the other procedure go ...?

Magicfloat
12-21-2009, 11:27 PM
If you are referring to the colonoscopy,I wimped out.Got a high blood pressure/high clorestoral issue that I didn't know I had.Going to get that under control and then do the other thing.Hey,at my age,one excuse is as good as another,right?:cheers2:

MarylandMark
12-22-2009, 08:29 AM
If you are referring to the colonoscopy,I wimped out.Got a high blood pressure/high clorestoral issue that I didn't know I had.Going to get that under control and then do the other thing.Hey,at my age,one excuse is as good as another,right?:cheers2:

:cuss: :mad: Get your ass to the Doctor buddy boy! We have too many "Condolences" thread around here as it is! Last 10 days? 3 of my buddies have bit the dust; all between 35-37 years old. Not from colon cancer but still- life is short; don't make yours shorter for some thing so preventable!

cuda
12-22-2009, 08:45 AM
:cuss: :mad: Get your ass to the Doctor buddy boy! We have too many "Condolences" thread around here as it is! Last 10 days? 3 of my buddies have bit the dust; all between 35-37 years old. Not from colon cancer but still- life is short; don't make yours shorter for some thing so preventable!

I had a form faxed from my HMO, listing things I had to do. They reccomended a colonoscopy at age 60 on a regular basis, only if there is blood present in your stool.

drpete3
12-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Doctors of osteopathic medicine are highly trained physicians. If you have found a good primary care doctor stick with them regardless of the degree MD vs DO.

MarylandMark
12-22-2009, 09:24 AM
I've heard as early as 40 but think most say 50?

12-22-2009, 03:14 PM
doctors of osteopathic medicine are highly trained physicians. If you have found a good primary care doctor stick with them regardless of the degree md vs do.

+1

i've heard as early as 40 but think most say 50?

+1

cuda
12-22-2009, 05:09 PM
I was told 50 al well. I was surprised to see the HMO said 60, and only if there was blood present.

12-22-2009, 06:33 PM
I was told 50 al well. I was surprised to see the HMO said 60, and only if there was blood present.

Ah, managed care, the way of the future?

"we'll biopsy it when we know it is cancer".

cuda
12-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Ah, managed care, the way of the future?

"we'll biopsy it when we know it is cancer".

I'm not sure. You'd think they would want to catch it early, it would cost less. There is no history of colon cancer on either side of my family.

MarylandMark
12-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Gov't health care is going to make it "recommended at 70" just so if there is some thing there it will have progressed far enough along that the patient is not a burden on the system for very long...