PDA

View Full Version : Random Acts of Kindness

MacGyver
12-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Since we don't do the gift exchange, I think I'm gonna surprise someone by purchasing their groceries for them. I have Wednesday off, so thats the day :)

Wrinkleface
12-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Bought my friends dinner last night!!! Just got a call from them 2 come over 4 lasagna tonight!! I'm right on that!!:)

DonziGirl
12-20-2009, 03:39 PM
My parents one year paid for December's rent for my roommate. They knew she and her mom didn't have much. It meant a lot to her

THEJOKER
12-20-2009, 03:59 PM
My company distributed 600,000 lbs of food in 2009 free of charge for the local food bank. I love helping those that cannot help themselves.

cuda
12-20-2009, 04:05 PM
My company distributed 600,000 lbs of food in 2009 free of charge for the local food bank. I love helping those that cannot help themselves.

You are the reason we don't need the government to tell us how to be charitable.

cuda
12-20-2009, 04:13 PM
I've done random acts of kindness. I remember giving a toll collctor a five, and told him to use the change to pay the next four tolls.

I was at the convenience store, and a guy and his wife were buying some cokes and ice. They found out they didn't have enough money, and we going to put the ice back. I told them to get the ice, and I'd pay for it. I didn't have much money at the time, but I had more than they did. They thanked me. If they had been buying beer, I wouldn't have offered.

THEJOKER
12-20-2009, 04:46 PM
I've done random acts of kindness. I remember giving a toll collctor a five, and told him to use the change to pay the next four tolls.

I was at the convenience store, and a guy and his wife were buying some cokes and ice. They found out they didn't have enough money, and we going to put the ice back. I told them to get the ice, and I'd pay for it. I didn't have much money at the time, but I had more than they did. They thanked me. If they had been buying beer, I wouldn't have offered.

Nice Cuda! I was @ a Ga / Fla game back in the 80's and I left my hotel to go down to a convenience store. There was a homeless guy sitting beside the store , he asked me for nothing. I asked him why he was homeless and he told me his tragic sad , life story. I gave him a $ 50.00 bill and a nice blunt I had in my pocket. To say the least he was a happy camper.

MarylandMark
12-20-2009, 04:51 PM
a nice blunt I had in my pocket

:sifone:

BUIZILLA
12-20-2009, 04:55 PM
there is a homeless older black guy in a wheelchair, missing both legs that collects at a corner on US1 by me, been doing it for awhile... couple weekends ago I was stopped at the light, and he wheeled up with his plastic soda cup... I asked him how were collections that day, he looked in the cup, and he looked away and almost couldn't answer me, and said.. man, I only got a $5 bill so far... so I said if ya give me that 5 i'll give you a 50... he did... and I did... I told him get off the street and go eat... and he started crying... I almost did too..

MacGyver
12-20-2009, 05:43 PM
there is a homeless older black guy in a wheelchair, missing both legs that collects at a corner on US1 by me, been doing it for awhile... couple weekends ago I was stopped at the light, and he wheeled up with his plastic soda cup... I asked him how were collections that day, he looked in the cup, and he looked away and almost couldn't answer me, and said.. man, I only got a $5 bill so far... so I said if ya give me that 5 i'll give you a 50... he did... and I did... I told him get off the street and go eat... and he started crying... I almost did too..

Nice job!!

MarylandMark
12-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Can I paypal ya $5 for the same exchange rate? :cheers2:

BUIZILLA
12-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Can I paypal ya $5 for the same exchange rate? :cheers2: sure, cut both your legs off above the knee's and steal a wheelchair... i'll meet ya at the corner of 184 and US1, be there about 8? :) after your done, the all-you-can-eat Chinese Buffet is right across the street..

MarylandMark
12-20-2009, 06:31 PM
LOL! Good answer Buizilla!

cuda
12-20-2009, 06:33 PM
sure, cut both your legs off above the knee's and steal a wheelchair... i'll meet ya at the corner of 184 and US1, be there about 8? :) after your done, the all-you-can-eat Chinese Buffet is right across the street..

I reckon that'll learn ya! :)

Ratickle
12-20-2009, 06:52 PM
I reckon that'll learn ya! :)

Tough crowd......:sifone:

t500hps
12-20-2009, 08:36 PM
We just got 18-20 inches of snow yesterday....I borrowed a small tractor to clear my drive way...ended up pulling the tractor owners truck out of a ditch and clearing 2 other driveways before I took it back.

ThrottleUp Props
12-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Wow heart warming guys! So it turns out that I am the one receiving....

So, I will share as well. I m very fortunate that I have been able to share the holidays with a lovely family, with 3 children. I wanted Christmas to be innocent for them, adult problem free, if you will. So it turns out I am the one whos blessed. I had the best time shopping for toys for the kids. Our Daughter is 21 years young, so its been a while. I have to tell you I had the best time. I had the warmest heart today! The power of ones heart is truely amazing. So, as it turns out, we really must have needed them in our lives! We are really very blessed to share the spirit of Jolly O'le Saint Nick and wish the very same for all of you!

Julie

ThrottleUp Props
12-20-2009, 08:46 PM
We just got 18-20 inches of snow yesterday....I borrowed a small tractor to clear my drive way...ended up pulling the tractor owners truck out of a ditch and clearing 2 other driveways before I took it back.

Nice....Pay it forward!

Julie

t500hps
12-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Nice....Pay it forward!

Julie

I feel GOD looks out after me most days. In order to stay on his good side, I make a point to do things for other when I can. Stopped on the highway to change a flat tire for an older couple a few years ago, regularly cut the fields for the guy that lets me store his boat on the edge of his property, with the storm coming went to make sure my grandfather's back-up generator was running just as the snow started falling Friday night. The more I look out for others....the more others will look out for me!!!

BTW: Every year we pull a name from an Angel tree and buy for a child in need. My 3 kids (8,11,13) are taken to pick out gifts, we want to make sure they know how good they have it when others don't.

cuda
12-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Wow heart warming guys! So it turns out that I am the one receiving....

So, I will share as well. I m very fortunate that I have been able to share the holidays with a lovely family, with 3 children. I wanted Christmas to be innocent for them, adult problem free, if you will. So it turns out I am the one whos blessed. I had the best time shopping for toys for the kids. Our Daughter is 21 years young, so its been a while. I have to tell you I had the best time. I had the warmest heart today! The power of ones heart is truely amazing. So, as it turns out, we really must have needed them in our lives! We are really very blessed to share the spirit of Jolly O'le Saint Nick and wish the very same for all of you!

Julie

Sounds like my mom. All of her kids, and grandkids are grown. If she didn't have ten great grandkids, I don't know what she'd do. If there was ever a lady born to be a grandma, it's my mom.

Scarab KV
12-21-2009, 12:47 AM
What comes around goes around.

I changed a tire on the side of the Indiana toll road for an elderly women. After refusing payment from her, unknown to me, she called the 800 number on the back of my trailer. My company tracked the trailer number and when I got back that week there was a nice letter of recognition and a gift certificate for a local restaurant in my mailbox. A few days later, a Thank You card arrived in the mail from Indiana.

One very cold night about 25 years ago, as I sat at a coffee counter eating a big meal, I watched a homeless man nurse a cup of coffee so he could stay inside where it was warm. When I paid for my meal I had the waitress charge me double and serve the man what I had had. Then made arrangements with the fuel desk to put him in one of the bunk rooms for the night so he could stay out of the cold and have a shower. Even though I had done this anonymously, he knew. When I was heading out the door to my truck, he caught my eye and gave a solum nod that spoke volumes.

HiZ
12-21-2009, 01:46 AM
My company supplies all you Clowns (and me) with Speed on the Water!
Merry Christmas! lol

Tom A.
12-21-2009, 01:48 AM
I love hearing all these great stories. I have volunteered 20+ years on my local first aid squad and have done many other acts to help those in need. I am a firm believer in Karma and paying things forward.
I wish it was more publicized by the news and others because there is far more good in the world than evil, it is just not as interesting as death, down trodden, scandals, and celebrities I guess.

HiZ
12-21-2009, 01:50 AM
Tom Good Call on Pay it Forward!
Agreed, for sure it's a big circle......................
I don't have a good story yet for this year, but let me keep it updated!
Some great stories here.
I stopped today on the Hwy onramp to assist in a flat, but AAA sponsored truck was just behind me!

cuda
12-21-2009, 03:33 AM

I changed a tire on the side of the Indiana toll road for an elderly women. After refusing payment from her, unknown to me, she called the 800 number on the back of my trailer. My company tracked the trailer number and when I got back that week there was a nice letter of recognition and a gift certificate for a local restaurant in my mailbox. A few days later, a Thank You card arrived in the mail from Indiana.

One very cold night about 25 years ago, as I sat at a coffee counter eating a big meal, I watched a homeless man nurse a cup of coffee so he could stay inside where it was warm. When I paid for my meal I had the waitress charge me double and serve the man what I had had. Then made arrangements with the fuel desk to put him in one of the bunk rooms for the night so he could stay out of the cold and have a shower. Even though I had done this anonymously, he knew. When I was heading out the door to my truck, he caught my eye and gave a solum nod that spoke volumes.

You're a good man Charlie Brown.:cool::cool:

fund razor
12-21-2009, 07:49 AM
This is my new favorite thread.

MarylandMark
12-21-2009, 08:14 AM

I had the future Father-in-law bring his tractor over to do my drive way, the lady on the other side of me (78 years old) and my new neighbor that went to settlement Friday, the day of the blizzard. New neighbor- his wife passed away in November from swine flu so now he is a widower with a 6 year old daughter and an 8 year old daughter whom has autism. We made them a pretty cool house warming present and I didn't even steal one single cookie out of it.

Our Daughter is 21 years young

:kiss: :bump:

ThrottleUp Props
12-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Sounds like my mom. All of her kids, and grandkids are grown. If she didn't have ten great grandkids, I don't know what she'd do. If there was ever a lady born to be a grandma, it's my mom.

uhhhggg, gosh I am getting old! But, I am not a grandmother yet!!!! Thank God.

I can tell you this though I am very rich person....and I am not talking about my pockets. Helping people and not just during a time of need, will fill your heart with love and adornment. Not just for the ones you helped but for your self-worth, as well. What a wonderful feeling!

But make no mistake....I am still not good with the grandma thing!

Pay it forward guys!

Julie

cuda
12-21-2009, 09:12 AM
I love hearing all these great stories. I have volunteered 20+ years on my local first aid squad and have done many other acts to help those in need. I am a firm believer in Karma and paying things forward.
I wish it was more publicized by the news and others because there is far more good in the world than evil, it is just not as interesting as death, down trodden, scandals, and celebrities I guess.

It's the media news motto: If it bleeds, it leads.

I haven't watched the news in years, probably since Walter Cronkite retired.

cigdaze
12-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Good stuff everyone. I knew we were a great, kind-hearted group. :)

A couple weeks ago, I saw an old lady hobbling down the street with about 6 grocery bags towards a bus stop. I couldn't help but pick her up and drive her home and bring in her groceries. Poor thing was in tears and overjoyed "that good people still exist."

Typically, I'm not one to fall prey to panhandlers but about 6 months ago I came across a middle-aged women standing on a street corner with a sign asking for help with 2 little kids. She said she got laid off, her estranged husband emptied her account and took off, and they hadn't eaten in days. I don't know why, but I sensed that her plight was sincere and gave her the 20 bucks I had on me. Remarkably - and this just blows my mind - but a few weeks later she was back on the same street corner during my same rush hour commute and found me sitting at the same stoplight. She gave me my 20 bucks back and thanked me for my kindness. She had gotten another job and was back on her feet. That was unbelievable.

:)

cuda
12-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Back before you lived in St Pete Nick, we had 18 inches of rain in less than 24 hours. I was trying to get to work in my pick up truck, and I saw an old lady walk off in that giant drainage ditch at 58th Street and 22 Ave. The entire area was under water, and she didn't see the ditch. She was clinging to the side, when I stopped and pulled her out. She was just about to be sucked under that big culvert there, and would have come out a Joe's Creek somewhere near 34th Street. She was quite shook up. I wonder how many people would have driven past her in that driving rain.

cigdaze
12-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Back before you lived in St Pete Nick, we had 18 inches of rain in less than 24 hours. I was trying to get to work in my pick up truck, and I saw an old lady walk off in that giant drainage ditch at 58th Street and 22 Ave. The entire area was under water, and she didn't see the ditch. She was clinging to the side, when I stopped and pulled her out. She was just about to be sucked under that big culvert there, and would have come out a Joe's Creek somewhere near 34th Street. She was quite shook up. I wonder how many people would have driven past her in that driving rain.

Holy crap, that's a lot of rain. I know the are you speak of very well. Sadly, too many folks usually would just keep on going.

Tom A.
12-21-2009, 04:06 PM
I will give money to any street performer who entertains me, they are doing their best to make a living. Pan handlers are a tough call because it is hard to tell if they are truely downtrodden and have no other means, some are just looking for the easy way out, and others have major problems which could affect your safety.
I was almost attacked by a pan handler in NYC a couple years ago on my way to my car from the boat show party I was at. I was standing on a corner waiting to cross the street and he came up behind me and gave me a shove. I thought it was one of my friends from the party I was at and when I turned around, well it wasn't. I must have given him a look of death because he backed off and started whimpering " Oh please don't hurt me, I am sorry, Oh my God, Don't hurt me" and ran off. I never even said anything!
About 15 years ago I was down at CBGB's in NYC and my friend and I were confronted by a guy asking for spare change. We said no and he pulled a knife on us. I looked at my friend and he at me (we were both pretty drunk) and we broke out laughing our asses off. I have no idea why we did but we couldn't stop. The guy didn't know what to do and went running off. I guess he wasn't expecting that response and figured we knew something he didn't!

Tom A.
12-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Oh also with me, no good deed goes unpunished. Not as bad as Gino's luck but this weekend I helped my Fiance's mom and her neighbor by driving over with the snow blower and clearing the snow. Of course in the process I lost my cell phone somewhere in the snow!

cuda
12-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Holy crap, that's a lot of rain. I know the are you speak of very well. Sadly, too many folks usually would just keep on going.

I was lucky to see her. It was pouring. I guess I was there for a reason.

cuda
12-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Oh also with me, no good deed goes unpunished. Not as bad as Gino's luck but this weekend I helped my Fiance's mom and her neighbor by driving over with the snow blower and clearing the snow. Of course in the process I lost my cell phone somewhere in the snow!

I had a bum come up to me one night this year when we were working in Gainesville. I wasn't in the best of moods already, when he asked me if I had some change he could have. He was an able bodied person, and I yelled at him "F no, I don't have any change". He started to walk to where my guys were working and I screamed at his, "They don't have any change either". My cousin said when he was walking away he muttered that a simple no would have worked. :)

Another guy, Chuck, who has worked with me on and off for 20 years said he was going to a concert in Tampa, when he saw a guy with a sign saying Homeless and Hungry. Chuck stopped to give him half a pizza he just bought, and the bum said he didn't want that, he wanted some money to buy beer. Chuck was mad as hell! Chuck's the kind of guy that will give you the shirt off his back, whether he knows you or not. That incident broke him of the habit of helping out anyone with that kind of sign. :)

BBB725
12-21-2009, 05:46 PM
We keep a bowl on the kitchen counter that I put all my loose change in everyday, so today I cashed it in and gave the $231 to the local animal shelter

MacGyver
12-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Thats awesome Wayne :)

MacGyver
12-21-2009, 08:06 PM
We keep a bowl on the kitchen counter that I put all my loose change in everyday, so today I cashed it in and gave the $231 to the local animal shelter

Nice job Brooks. I give to the local animal shelter every Christmas time. This year I gave $200 because I know they are having a hard time.

Buoy
12-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Had a one day thing this year that was Co. sponsored, but I donated my time.
I personally made 24 pair of eye-glasses for children that had never had them before in one day.
Felt really good, especially seeing when a 10 yr old that has never had eyeglasses comes in with a prescription of -12.00:(
The kid didn't have a chance in school, with that strong of a script, he couldn't possibly see the lesson board, or make out the words in a book.

At the same time, it also pizzed me off to see that one Mom brought her child in for free glasses, and she was wearing a Blu-tooth, but, I hampered my feeling on it, and instead thought "at least the kid will be able to see now".

I will also say, that it was amazing how strong the Rx was for many of these kids. They couldn't possibly see anything. I'm glad I was able to be a part of helping with the challenge they were facing in sight, while they are also growing up in a financial situation.

MacGyver
12-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Had a one day thing this year that was Co. sponsored, but I donated my time.
I personally made 24 pair of eye-glasses for children that had never had them before in one day.
Felt really good, especially seeing when a 10 yr old that has never had eyeglasses comes in with a prescription of -12.00:(
The kid didn't have a chance in school, with that strong of a script, he couldn't possibly see the lesson board, or make out the words in a book.

At the same time, it also pizzed me off to see that one Mom brought her child in for free glasses, and she was wearing a Blu-tooth, but, I hampered my feeling on it, and instead thought "at least the kid will be able to see now".

I will also say, that it was amazing how strong the Rx was for many of these kids. They couldn't possibly see anything. I'm glad I was able to be a part of helping with the challenge they were facing in sight, while they are also growing up in a financial situation.

Nice Job Tim. I want to do a RAoK to someone, but I also prefer it goes to someone the really needs it. I don't wanna buy some nice old ladies groceries, when she is sitting on a 5 million dollar nest egg. I want it to go to someone that really needs it.

03darkshadow
12-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Nice Job Tim. I want to do a RAoK to someone, but I also prefer it goes to someone the really needs it. I don't wanna buy some nice old ladies groceries, when she is sitting on a 5 million dollar nest egg. I want it to go to someone that really needs it.

i would think that buying someone their groceries would offend or potentially embarass them. but i guess it depends on how you go about it.

MacGyver
12-21-2009, 09:00 PM
i would think that buying someone their groceries would offend or potentially embarass them. but i guess it depends on how you go about it.

This all started last Sunday when I was shopping and I saw a elderly lady shuffling along with her shopping cart and I thought to myself, I wanna make her day and buy all her groceries for her. But it was crazy busy and chickened out :(

Scarab KV
12-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Today I came up on a goofy intersection that dumps out on to the 27 beltway on Long Island and there was an out of state car hung up on a divider island that he couldn't see under all the snow. One motorist hopped out to try and push him off while others just slipped and slid past with no regard for him by the edge of the lane. Once I got close enough I swung the truck into traffic so nobody could get through and hopped out to help. We couldn't get the car to budge and about that time this dude comes up from the line of traffic behind my truck with a WTF attitude until he seen what was up. He joined in, but it still wouldn't move. The dude put his east coast attitude to work and started rap'n on other cars, tell'n the drivers to quit watch'n and start push'n (his words) wasn't long and there was enough muscle to push the car off.
I lol every time I think of the dude now.

fund razor
12-22-2009, 08:28 AM
this dude comes up from the line of traffic behind my truck with a WTF attitude until he seen what was up. He joined in, but it still wouldn't move. The dude put his east coast attitude to work and started rap'n on other cars, tell'n the drivers to quit watch'n and start push'n (his words) wasn't long and there was enough muscle to push the car off.
I lol every time I think of the dude now.

Was it Stecz? :o

ThrottleUp Props
12-22-2009, 08:31 AM

That was very nice of you! I have a real SOFT spot for animals, especially ones in need.

Nicely Done BBB725! Major brownie points, with the big guy!

Julie

MarylandMark
12-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Pan handlers are a tough call because it is hard to tell if they are truely downtrodden and have no other means, some are just looking for the easy way out, and others have major problems which could affect your safety.

There is a dude the next corner up from my office. Been there for at least 5-7 years; walking back and forth begging for change. I like him because he just holds his sign and doesn't pester, yet never given him a dime. If he can walk back and forth all day long, he has to be able to get a job doing some kind of work. Even if it is just selling newspapers at the intersection he "works" now.

Mixed feelings- would if he can't get a legit job because of (example) mental state from whatever or (example) war injuries? May have to give him a few bucks this next trip through..

drpete3
12-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Just another thought. First i love this thread. What if you did do the random act of kindness to the lady who is sitting on a nest egg? She may inturn realize what you are trying to do and pass it along to someone else in a greater way. If someone came up to me and told me what they were doing i would accept the generosity but made sure I passed it along. Dont worry about who you act kind towards instead focus on how it may make a difference in the long run.

Every year we donate a day in our office to help a local homeless shelter and this year we donated over 10K in exams testing and glasses. My hope isnt to just help these people that day but maybe it will make a difference in their lives forever

MacGyver
12-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Maybe I'll end up helping an older lady that is Seriously rich.......and end up in her will :cheers2:

MarylandMark
12-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Maybe I'll end up helping an older lady that is Seriously rich.......and end up in her will :cheers2:

I'll PM you my contact info so you can pay it forward if it happens :cheers2:

Scarab KV
12-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Was it Stecz? :o

Don't think so. Didn't notice any sheep.:D

TCEd
12-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Got a dog from a rescue group yesterday.

MacGyver
12-23-2009, 10:19 AM

Great! Post a pic of the new family member :)

Sea-Dated
12-23-2009, 10:40 AM

Congrats..... Let's see the new addition to the family.....

BUIZILLA
12-23-2009, 05:29 PM
what a guy....

http://us.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2009/12/23/dnt.gas.for.strangers.wreg

BUIZILLA
12-23-2009, 05:40 PM

http://us.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2009/12/23/mims.bike.giveaway.wral

TCEd
12-23-2009, 06:01 PM
We got Jerzee from a rescue group in Holland, Mi. She's the girl on the left, a 2 y.o.German Wirehair Pointer. Her new brother is a German Shorthair who we also rescued six years ago as a pup.

Edward R. Cozzi
12-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Trusting a 33 year old gas gauge in one of my collector cars, I ran out of gas one evening going home from a car show. A woman in an SUV with a toddler in a car seat stopped to help me. She yelled she'd be right back with some gas for me.

She came back with two gallons and I was mobile again. I asked her to please follow me to the nearest station where I planned to fill-up both of our tanks.

Turns out this remarkable woman is divorced with two kids of her own, (boys) and three girls she adopted when her best friend was killed in a car accident. The battery in her SUV was so bad that night she couldn't shut it off for the re-fueling. She had no cash on her and she bought the gas she brought me with the change she scraped-up from the inside of her vehicle!

I filled her tank and gave her $20.00 for pocket money. The next day I brought her a battery from my shop and installed it. I do all her car repairs to this day with a smile on my face.

She got laid-off from her job and couldn't pay her electric bill. I now manage her electric bill from my computer every month. It's only about $135.00 a month, but it is a big thing to her and one less worry. She never asks for anything and I have to ask her what she needs. The kids are great and I call them my "adopted family". I spoil them on their birthdays and it's as much fun for me as it is for them.

cuda
12-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Trusting a 33 year old gas gauge in one of my collector cars, I ran out of gas one evening going home from a car show. A woman in an SUV with a toddler in a car seat stopped to help me. She yelled she'd be right back with some gas for me.

She came back with two gallons and I was mobile again. I asked her to please follow me to the nearest station where I planned to fill-up both of our tanks.

Turns out this remarkable woman is divorced with two kids of her own, (boys) and three girls she adopted when her best friend was killed in a car accident. The battery in her SUV was so bad that night she couldn't shut it off for the re-fueling. She had no cash on her and she bought the gas she brought me with the change she scraped-up from the inside of her vehicle!

I filled her tank and gave her $20.00 for pocket money. The next day I brought her a battery from my shop and installed it. I do all her car repairs to this day with a smile on my face.

She got laid-off from her job and couldn't pay her electric bill. I now manage her electric bill from my computer every month. It's only about $135.00 a month, but it is a big thing to her and one less worry. She never asks for anything and I have to ask her what she needs. The kids are great and I call them my "adopted family". I spoil them on their birthdays and it's as much fun for me as it is for them.

You're a good man Charlie Brown.:cool::hurray:

Scarab KV
12-24-2009, 10:11 AM

Now that's cool Ed!
Merry Christmas to you and your extended family

drpete3
12-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Bought brekfeaast for a cop this am....was thinking about this thread

MacGyver
12-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Nice job Pete!

ThrottleUp Props
12-24-2009, 11:43 AM

I am sure you warmed his heart a bit this morning drpete3! That can be a very thankless job at times.

Reinstilling one's faith in humanity, one breafast at a time!;)

Thank you drpete3!

Julie

Rush
12-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I have been looking at this thread thinking what have I done to help other people? Sometimes you don't even think about the things you give away. I have friend that is going through a divorce. she had been kicked out of her house with her 2 kids. I let her move in my dads house (he is in a nursing home). She has a low paying job so I am paying her electric, water, sewer, cable, and the condo fee. She really needed the help. Her oldman is a real peace of sh!t. He is in the house that the bank is getting ready to foreclose on. Sometimes you don't realize how good you realy have it.

dd24skater
12-24-2009, 01:54 PM

Merry Chiistmas to you and your extended family

Your a good man!

MarylandMark
12-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Sometimes you don't realize how good you realy have it.

+1

I'm trying to change my way of thinking. I wish I had it better but sure as heck know things could be much worse!

Scarab KV
12-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Last night when I got in from my run, I thought I was done and head'n home for Christmas. Not to be. One of our drivers that lives in Ohio was at the yard with a load that had to deliver in Northern Wis. If he delivered it and came back down to the yard, he would not have had enough hours left on his log to get home with out having to take a 10 hour break and probably miss Christmas eve at home. Was asked if I'd run his load rest of the way North for him. I only had enough hours left to make it up there and would have to do a 10 hour before I could come back down. With this thread in the back of my mind, I agreed to do it. Long story short, the load coming back down wasn't ready until late today and have just gotten home...24 hours after I thought I'd be home.
I think the Ohio driver beat me home by about 8-10 hours.
Thanks Mac:D

Ratickle
12-24-2009, 08:02 PM
We got Jerzee from a rescue group in Holland, Mi. She's the girl on the left, a 2 y.o.German Wirehair Pointer. Her new brother is a German Shorthair who we also rescued six years ago as a pup.

Sweet.

The Humane Society in Holland is where a large portion of our charitable donations go......

Thanks......

Tommy Gun
12-24-2009, 10:16 PM
+1

I'm trying to change my way of thinking. I wish I had it better but sure as heck know things could be much worse!

Same here...I don't feel self pity or remorse...while we have always given generously I have really focused on helping those truly less fortunate this year.