PDA

View Full Version : Darwin gets a double.....

JupiterSunsation
12-20-2009, 01:31 PM
17 ft, no EPIRB and a winter Bahamas crossing....not a good combo!

MIAMI - The Coast Guard has ended the search for two overdue boaters, missing since Dec. 13 when they set out on a trip to Bimini, Bahamas, from Haulover Inlet in Miami.

Officials announced Saturday they had suspended the week-long hunt for the pair.

Richard Alicea and Edwin Pritchard, both Miami residents, were traveling in a 17-foot, center-console style Key Largo pleasure craft. The boat was white with a green-blue stripe.

A family member contacted Coast Guard search-and-rescue coordinators at Sector Miami Sunday after Alicea and Pritchard did not arrived at their final destination as expected.

The Coast Guard immediately launched a search covering more than 47,000 square-mile area from Miami to Port Canaveral, Fla., out to the Bahamas.
Copyright © 2009, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Wrinkleface
12-20-2009, 01:33 PM
:banghead:

Ratickle
12-20-2009, 01:36 PM
I really do wish boating drivers licenses were mandatory......

BUIZILLA
12-20-2009, 01:36 PM
and the pilot that saw them on the deserted island north of Bimini, took a phone pic, and didn't tell anyone about it for 4 days either... that was on the nightly news on Thursday I think... he took the pic on Sunday...

waybomb
12-20-2009, 01:42 PM

Just like a driver's license keep idiots out of cars?
Like pilot's license keeps incompitents out of left seats?
Like a chaufer's license provides safe taxi and limo drivers?
Like gun licenses prevent deaths?

And all the money collected in those endeavors helps how?

ThrottleUp Props
12-20-2009, 01:43 PM
and the pilot that saw them on the deserted island north of Bimini, took a phone pic, and didn't tell anyone about it for 4 days either... that was on the nightly news on Thursday I think... he took the pic on Sunday...

Oh my gosh... is that true?

Julie

phragle
12-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale
A tale of a fateful trip,
That started from this tropic port,
Aboard this tiny ship.
The mate was a mighty sailin' man,
The Skipper brave and sure,
Five passengers set sail that day,
For a three hour tour,
A three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ship was tossed.
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The Minnow would be lost.

The ship aground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle
With Gilligan,
The Skipper too...............

Wrinkleface
12-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale
A tale of a fateful trip,
That started from this tropic port,
Aboard this tiny ship.
The mate was a mighty sailin' man,
The Skipper brave and sure,
Five passengers set sail that day,
For a three hour tour,
A three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ship was tossed.
If not for the courage of the fearless crew

The ship aground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle
With Gilligan,
The Skipper too...............

Damn Dude, U should B a song writer!!!:sifone:

BUIZILLA
12-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Oh my gosh... is that true?

Julieyup, I saw it on 10 o clock news Thursday night on local Chan 7 and they had the family on there confirming the faces in the pic and they even interviewed the pilot... not sure if he told anybody before Thursday, but he said he didn't hear about the missing boaters until Thursday, but he called it in at that moment he heard about them.

Ratickle
12-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Just like a driver's license keep idiots out of cars?
Like pilot's license keeps incompitents out of left seats?
Like a chaufer's license provides safe taxi and limo drivers?
Like gun licenses prevent deaths?

And all the money collected in those endeavors helps how?

I'd go with Coast Guard administered, funds to Coast Guard patrol operations.

And I do think all of the drivers ed classes and licensing helps, you'll never keep all idiots safe though......

phragle
12-20-2009, 02:12 PM
you'll never keep all idiots safe though......

Darwin doesn't want us too... idiots breed like rabbits.....

imco offshore
12-20-2009, 02:13 PM
well i have got to say growing up in miami and being in a boat as a kid ,,it really isn,t that odd to that... we usto go to bimini after work ( we worked in a marina) in 2 ,,18' boston whalers just to get their 12 % st pauli girl beer,we sometimes come home that night or ,,,we would drink at the "end of the world saloon" sleep in our boats and come home in the morning..and we used hand held compasses,,,,,and now we need a giant screen gps, or you we can,t use the boat it,s broke.,,you can come home from bimini at night without a compass, IF you know what the lights profile of miami look like,and hit haulover dead on ,,,,what would u guys do if your gps broke,,park the boat,,,come on???

Ratickle
12-20-2009, 02:15 PM
well i have got to say growing up in miami and being in a boat as a kid ,,it really isn,t that odd to that... we usto go to bimini after work ( we worked in a marina) in 2 ,,18' boston whalers just to get their 12 % st pauli girl beer,we sometimes come home that night or ,,,we would drink at the "end of the world saloon" sleep in our boats and come home in the morning..and we used hand held compasses,,,,,and now we need a giant screen gps, or you we can,t use the boat it,s broke.,,you can come home from bimini at night without a compass, IF you know what the lights profile of miami look like,and hit haulover dead on ,,,,what would u guys do if your gps broke,,park the boat,,,come on???

We used to go over 50 miles offshore from the Columbia River fishing in a 16 foot single outboard boat when I was a kid a lot. Had two compasses in case one broke.

Used to hate it when the fog would come in though......:ack2:

imco offshore
12-20-2009, 02:24 PM
exactly.. bimini is 48 miles you can see land for a while then you cross the gulf streem go about 20 mins, then you see land again (bimini..or south bimini) if you were off a little.

cuda
12-20-2009, 02:29 PM

You can't legislate common sense. Do you really think things would have been different if one of them had a boater's license in their wallet?

BUIZILLA
12-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Had two compasses in case one broke.
if it wasn't for my trusty $20 Airguide compass in the late 60's, we would've ended up in Portugal a couple times.. :sifone:

cuda
12-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I used to go out farther than that in my fishboat with one engine, one battery, and no radio. The only difference is I didn't have to cross the Gulfstream. I don't need a license to know better than that. I've been boating in Florida since I was 16. You just have to remember that Mother Nature ain't no lady.

Ratickle
12-20-2009, 02:35 PM
You can't legislate common sense. Do you really think things would have been different if one of them had a boater's license in their wallet?

With the proper training to get that license, I think there would be a pretty good chance of a different result.

Kinda like living up here in the snow-belt. If I go on a trip with iffy weather in the forecast I have my cell, thermal boots, carharts, gloves, stocking hat, food and water in the Blazer.

Common sense says you can make that trip almost everytime if nothing goes wrong, just need to have preperation for the un-planned. Look at those two brothers who took a flats boat across the Atlantic.

cuda
12-20-2009, 02:36 PM
if it wasn't for my trusty $20 Airguide compass in the late 60's, we would've ended up in Portugal a couple times.. :sifone:

I never go to sea without a compass. All a gps is is a radio receiver. Radios can, and do break down. I've never had the battery go dead in a compass. I also carry a ship's bell for fog. If you've never been caught in thick fog, you don't know how freaky that can be.

cuda
12-20-2009, 02:38 PM
With the proper training to get that license, I think there would be a pretty good chance of a different result.

Kinda like living up here in the snow-belt. If I go on a trip with iffy weather in the forecast I have my cell, thermal boots, carharts, gloves, stocking hat, food and water in the Blazer.

Common sense says you can make that trip almost everytime if nothing goes wrong, just need to have preperation for the un-planned. Look at those two brothers who took a flats boat across the Atlantic.

Experience is the best proper training, not a license.

Ratickle
12-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Experience is the best proper training, not a license.

True that, but as of today you need zero experience to buy and operate a boat.

Would you want Big Rig drivers on the road with no CDL requirements and no driving school?????

imco offshore
12-20-2009, 02:43 PM
what the hell is a "carhart"?

cuda
12-20-2009, 03:02 PM
True that, but as of today you need zero experience to buy and operate a boat.

Would you want Big Rig drivers on the road with no CDL requirements and no driving school?????

The ocean is a bit wider than the interstate.

cuda
12-20-2009, 03:03 PM

Heavy jacket. I have one for the sub 50 days here in Florida.

MacGyver
12-20-2009, 03:20 PM

Carhartt.com (http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomeView?storeId=10051&catalogId=10101)

For 120 years, Carhartt has
created and manufactured premium
work clothing known for exceptional durability,
comfort, quality of construction, and fit that
you can feel in the fabrics and see in
the performance.

cuda
12-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Carhart has heavier zippers and such compared to any other coat I've seen. Mine has a big brass zipper pull on it.

JupiterSunsation
12-20-2009, 04:10 PM

A. Lots of folks did crazy stuff as kids but as adults would know better
B. 18 Whaler is a far better boat than a 17 Key West
C. Did you make the crossing in the winter when it is rough or summer when flat like a lake?

To everyone who hasn't been over to Bimini, it is 45 +/- miles from Ft Lauderdale. No big deal in good weather/conditions

THEJOKER
12-20-2009, 04:11 PM
We did West End out of Jupiter after a hurricane and had 20 footers in the Gulfstream......stupid yes....120 East if I remember correctly.

JupiterSunsation
12-20-2009, 04:14 PM
We did West End out of Jupiter after a hurricane and had 20 footers in the Gulfstream......stupid yes....120 East if I remember correctly.

Leaving the Bahamas is not very tough.....go west and you will hit some part of FL! Might not be the part you want but atleast you can re-fuel and get directions if you get lost! :sifone:

cuda
12-20-2009, 04:23 PM

IMHO, the experience of the operator would make a whole lot more difference than the boat.

BUIZILLA
12-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Leaving the Bahamas is not very tough.....go east and you will hit some part of FL! Might not be the part you want but atleast you can re-fuel and get directions if you get lost! :sifone: you go EAST out of the Bahamas, and it's about 23,000 miles to Fla again... :sifone:

JupiterSunsation
12-20-2009, 05:41 PM
you go EAST out of the Bahamas, and it's about 23,000 miles to Fla again... :sifone:

:D good catch!

cuda
12-20-2009, 05:54 PM
you go EAST out of the Bahamas, and it's about 23,000 miles to Fla again... :sifone:

Is that more than a tank?

imco offshore
12-20-2009, 07:26 PM
A. Lots of folks did crazy stuff as kids but as adults would know better
C. Did you make the crossing in the winter when it is rough or summer when flat like a lake?

To everyone who hasn't been over to Bimini, it is 45 +/- miles from Ft Lauderdale. No big deal in good weather/conditions

your right on all accounts,,,i just thought everyone was amazed that someone would try that... now that everyone knows it,s no big deal!!! why don,t you all come down in june and do the Bimini run,and back.there is room for ANY boat..:USA:

JupiterSunsation
12-20-2009, 08:00 PM
your right on all accounts,,,i just thought everyone was amazed that someone would try that... now that everyone knows it,s no big deal!!! why don,t you all come down in june and do the Bimini run,and back.there is room for ANY boat..:USA:

I have run to Bimini, had a blast. It is more fun to stay for the weekend, snorkel the Sapona and enjoy the area. Racing is not my thing, I was at the finish line this year watching Aquamania scream past my boat. Those boys went round trip in less time than I could make it one way!

A few years ago a guy organized a Waverunner poker run to Bimini for about 30 machines. Rules were simple, bring a late model 4 stroke machine. He had a pace boat to carry luggage, spares etc. I don't currently own a waverunner but would buy one to do this run..... It would kill me though to pay $150 landing fee for a jet ski! :sifone:

Ted
12-21-2009, 09:31 AM

Yeah, and I bet for every person like you on the road there is a girl in F me pumps, little black dress and dead cell phone in a Civic out there too.