PDA

View Full Version : My sons college apps.

Expensive Date
12-15-2009, 08:27 PM
My oldest son Adam applied to the following schools last week.Thanks to all on this board who took the time to talk to him about different schools

Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Cornell
Temple
NYU
Wharton (University of Penn.)
Carnegie Mellon
Notre Dame
Monmouth

Temple came back already accepted with partial academic scholarship.One down nine to go.:cheers2:

MarylandMark
12-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Good job!

What's the one you/he hopes comes back with the goods?

Buoy
12-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Keep us posted on the outcome of this.
You should be very proud of your son, as I'm sure you are. And give yourself a pat on the back for raising him.

JupiterSunsation
12-15-2009, 09:13 PM
very cool....congrats

Expensive Date
12-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Good job!

What's the one you/he hopes comes back with the goods?

Its his choice one of the Ivy's probably or Wharton.One of the girls in his HS class got early decision at Yale.He did not have all of his single subjectSat's back so he waited.If he gets an Ivy they will be the first two kids from that HS ever to go to an Ivy league school.
But Mommuth is off the table now.

Davidmnc
12-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Congrats!

ChiefApache
12-16-2009, 10:04 AM
That's great Tim!! I'm sure you're proud of him.

Sea-Dated
12-16-2009, 10:04 AM
That is awesome! Congrats and you should be very proud.

Audiofn
12-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Let him know that Pam said while Wharton has a very good Grad level program it is not the greatest place to start.

She knows a few people that graduated from there that their companies are insisting on them going back to school. They think becasue they went to Wharton they don't have to. So they tend to stagnate in their jobs. The undergrad program does not come close to holding a candle to any of the Ivy schools on his list.

Expensive Date
12-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Let him know that Pam said while Wharton has a very good Grad level program it is not the greatest place to start.

She knows a few people that graduated from there that their companies are insisting on them going back to school. They think becasue they went to Wharton they don't have to. So they tend to stagnate in their jobs. The undergrad program does not come close to holding a candle to any of the Ivy schools on his list.

He mentioned that I think Pam must have said something about it when they talked.He has an interview with a Harvard alumni tomorrow.

Expensive Date
12-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Monmouth University, Accepted with 14k a year academic scholarship.The two backup schools are back the rest might be a while.He did get a letter from Notre Dame requesting his 2nd 1/4 grades when available. 2 down 8 to go

THEJOKER
12-21-2009, 11:11 PM
You must be proud!

Expensive Date
12-21-2009, 11:36 PM
You must be proud!

I am but I am more proud that he wanted this and worked very hard throughout his school years to be were he is now.

THEJOKER
12-22-2009, 12:26 AM
I am but I am more proud that he wanted this and worked very hard throughout his school years to be were he is now.
He'll go a long way in life I bet!

Expensive Date
12-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Yale interview this Sunday.

Sea-Dated
12-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Yale interview this Sunday.

That is great. Good luck to him....

cuda
12-30-2009, 02:20 PM
I had the choice of Daytona Beach College, and Daytona Beach College. One of my neighbors back in St Pete is a professor at Notre Dame now. Smart bunch of kids.

publius
12-30-2009, 08:11 PM
That's an impressive list, I was lucky when Miss. State let my ass in, and I kept figuring ways to get back in every time they kicked me out. Finally got sick of me and gave me a degree.

dykstra
12-30-2009, 09:45 PM
That's an impressive list, I was lucky when Miss. State let my ass in, and I kept figuring ways to get back in every time they kicked me out. Finally got sick of me and gave me a degree.

Funny!:cheers2:

Five Cent Worth
12-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Very impressive list. I would be very proud! :cheers2:

Curious, what he wants to do with his degree? With that list I am assuming something on Wallstreet? The reason I ask is it drives a lot of the connections that could lead to jobs and so forth down the road depending on your alumni.

If I was in your situation - the below would be how I would rank them. However, I was an idiot in high school and couldn't sniff these schools.

Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Notre Dame - Tons of alumni all over the world.

GOOD LUCK! :USA:

TCEd
12-31-2009, 11:27 AM

Funny.

Expensive Date
01-06-2010, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE=Five Cent Worth;404037]Very impressive list. I would be very proud! :cheers2:

Curious, what he wants to do with his degree? With that list I am assuming something on Wallstreet? The reason I ask is it drives a lot of the connections that could lead to jobs and so forth down the road depending on your alumni.

If I was in your situation - the below would be how I would rank them. However, I was an idiot in high school and couldn't sniff these schools.

Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Notre Dame - Tons of alumni all over the world.

That is pretty much his A list.Yale interview went very well he said and Wharton has contacted him for an interview.Notre Dame ask to see his second quarter grades so he got noticed.His major will be business/economics for the most part no one ends up exactly in the Field they set out for.Ultimate goal would be running or owning a company that had some thing to do with music.See what happens for the most part its a waiting game now.
His Titan was getting fixed so I let him take the Vette to school today think he has earned it.

Expensive Date
01-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Contact this morning from Princeton for Interview will be a busy week.

Five Cent Worth
01-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Northwestern might be a good one too. Chi-town around there is awesome and that school is up there too.

Expensive Date
04-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Ok verdict is in No from all the majors Princeton Harvard Wharton etc.One of his Friends who got a 2400 on his Sat's also got turned down.From what we saw looking at these schools they are looking for the next Obama not the next CEO.And thats fine he is taking the offer from Monmouth University with scholarships what he has and what my Wife and I have invested for him he will graduate with no student loans.

Thanks again to all that took the time to speak with him.

Buoy
04-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Congrats Tim!
You did right in raising your son.
Wish him the best in his studies, and hopefully he turns out better than you...
Or at least better than me or Bobcat.:ack2:

Seriously, Congrats to him and to you and your wife for raising him to achieve this.

drpete3
04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Life is what you make of it. Sounds like he is off to a good start.

RLJ676
04-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Ok verdict is in No from all the majors Princeton Harvard Wharton etc.One of his Friends who got a 2400 on his Sat's also got turned down.From what we saw looking at these schools they are looking for the next Obama not the next CEO.And thats fine he is taking the offer from Monmouth University with scholarships what he has and what my Wife and I have invested for him he will graduate with no student loans.

Thanks again to all that took the time to speak with him.

Congrats.

All I needed to see was the pic of him (and you not saying you are a massive benefactor to one of these ivy league schools) to know it was a long shot.....there's just too many top flight white male students out there to count on it no matter how perfect the track record.

Now the job is keeping his head in it freshman year, that freedom and fun can catch some really good students off guard!:cheers2:

Expensive Date
04-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Congrats.

All I needed to see was the pic of him (and you not saying you are a massive benefactor to one of these ivy league schools) to know it was a long shot.....there's just too many top flight white male students out there to count on it no matter how perfect the track record.

Now the job is keeping his head in it freshman year, that freedom and fun can catch some really good students off guard!:cheers2:

First sentence probably has a lot of truth to it Monmouth University is a great school and there offer was the best.He could have gone to Temple University there offer was almost as good but the school is in a chithole.Monmouth is a smaller private university and pretty well known on the east coast.Thought about the freedom part but I give my kids a lot of freedom as long as they don't screw up so he should be fine.

What I love is Princeton got over 32000 apps this year at $65.00 an app thats over 2 mil.Thats a lot of coin