PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Help!

scottw
12-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Over the winter I'm going to build a aluminum swim platform for my 25' boat. All tig welded and then powder coated. It will be similar to the one in these pictures. Can anyone give me some info on what size tubing for the main platform tube? O.D. or I.D.? Wall thickness? Also the tubes which mount to the transom that come off the main platform? O.D. or I.D.? Wall thickness. How far does the platform extend out off the transom? If anyone has these dimensions could you post them? Thanks.

insanity
12-15-2009, 03:23 AM
Here is a yellow one for sale:

http://www.islandpirates.net/forum/showpost.php?p=47438&postcount=1

For what you would have in materials/fab time, that one is well worth it even if you had to paint it.

Griff
12-15-2009, 03:40 AM
They are normally 20-22 inches deep.

scottw
12-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Here is a yellow one for sale:

http://www.islandpirates.net/forum/showpost.php?p=47438&postcount=1

For what you would have in materials/fab time, that one is well worth it even if you had to paint it.

Tried viewing it but couldn't. Would like to check it out.

Perlmudder
12-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Dude Sweet had/has one for sale off of his 28 pantera. Might wanna check with him first!

Switzer It
12-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Scott - do you have the molded fiberglass platform on yours now? Here's the back of my '88. I think you might have to notch it out for your pipes if you put a single platform.

insanity
12-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Tried viewing it but couldn't. Would like to check it out.

Here is the 'parent' thread. You may have to register to view the picture.

http://www.islandpirates.net/forum/showthread.php?p=47438#post47438

Perlmudder
12-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Scott - do you have the molded fiberglass platform on yours now? Here's the back of my '88. I think you might have to notch it out for your pipes if you put a single platform.

Hey, is this the boat that is sitting beside yours in that pic?

Switzer It
12-16-2009, 01:56 PM
nope - but I recognize the boat, just not sure who it is. That pic looks like it was taken at Erie Basin Marina.
The boat next to mine is my friend's old 22' Scarab. Great story to that boat - I helped him sell it from my place at the time in Amherst NY. He lives in Marilla NY. We sold it dirt cheap just to move it and get rid it. Some guy from the southern tier buys it. This spring the same boat shows up in a driveway at the first house on his street. He had to look at it again everyday this summer... lol.

Perlmudder
12-16-2009, 02:10 PM
nope - but I recognize the boat, just not sure who it is. That pic looks like it was taken at Erie Basin Marina.
The boat next to mine is my friend's old 22' Scarab. Great story to that boat - I helped him sell it from my place at the time in Amherst NY. He lives in Marilla NY. We sold it dirt cheap just to move it and get rid it. Some guy from the southern tier buys it. This spring the same boat shows up in a driveway at the first house on his street. He had to look at it again everyday this summer... lol.

YEP! Took it while entering Erie Basin. It was the same weekend they had the antique boat show at the Buffalo Launch Club. We also saw that big yacht that was going down to FLD for the show. MY brother actually worked on a yacht down there that was parked a couple down from it at the show.

Sorry for the hijack! :)

ktm2212
12-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Over the winter I'm going to build a aluminum swim platform for my 25' boat. All tig welded and then powder coated. It will be similar to the one in these pictures. Can anyone give me some info on what size tubing for the main platform tube? O.D. or I.D.? Wall thickness? Also the tubes which mount to the transom that come off the main platform? O.D. or I.D.? Wall thickness. How far does the platform extend out off the transom? If anyone has these dimensions could you post them? Thanks.
Let me know how it turns out...maybe you can build me one!!

scottw
12-16-2009, 08:18 PM

I do have the molded fiberglass one. Just don't like the look. Have to see how I design the aluminum one and measure for clearence.

scottw
12-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Here is the 'parent' thread. You may have to register to view the picture.

http://www.islandpirates.net/forum/showthread.php?p=47438#post47438

I found the thread and registered but it still wouldn't let me view it. Must want some money.:willy_nilly:

Dude! Sweet!
12-16-2009, 08:36 PM
:cheers2:
Dude Sweet had/has one for sale off of his 28 pantera. Might wanna check with him first!

Sold mine, but thats Josh!:cheers2:

insanity
12-17-2009, 02:14 PM
I found the thread and registered but it still wouldn't let me view it. Must want some money.:willy_nilly:

It's a free site! PM 'Tony' on this board, he runs that website and goes by 'THRILLSEEKER' over there. He may not have approved you yet or something. From the look of the picture its worth the hassle, looks brand new.

I have one I bought from a guy from the old Baja factory, but it has a bend in the outer tube from when they backed it into a telephone pole or something. I've got about 90% of the old powdercoat stripped off to weld on a new tube and repaint. It was a ***** to say the least.

Kustom Kolors
12-18-2009, 02:09 PM
This company sells most of the extrusions used in the industry http://tacomarine.com/cat--Oval-Aluminum-Pipe--cat_pipe_oval.html

scottw
12-19-2009, 11:21 AM
This company sells most of the extrusions used in the industry http://tacomarine.com/cat--Oval-Aluminum-Pipe--cat_pipe_oval.html

Thanks for the info.

insanity
12-19-2009, 11:35 AM
I was going to build my own but after pricing materials, time spent and trying to keep everything straight without a jig and all of the welding, decided it was better to buy one.

Here are your tube dimensions at least:

Roger 1
12-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Part of doing any custom one off project is to make it custom and one off. It's good to ask questions ask for opinions and do your research but at the end of the day, you get to make it the way you want and include your own personal touches. If you have access to the equipment and the skills required for such a project by all means proceed. It's a good feeling to be able to enjoy something that you have made for yourself.
Take pictures along the way and share them with us here on the board. If you get in a jamb, don't forget that this board is a great resource for information and help. Now, get busy and keep us posted on your progress.

Roger