PDA

View Full Version : Winterization Method

Seafordguy
12-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Thought I'd share this for those of you without impellors in your lowers.

I always have had a little trouble getting the antifreeze flowing up from the ear muffs so this year I put a big rubbermaid container on two ladders, filled it full of antifreeze and put in a 35 dollar sump pump from Harbor Freight. Hooked the pump to the fresh-water flush attachments on the side of the boat. Turned on the pump fired up the engines and was done in about 30 seconds. Worked really well and not much waste because you can kill the engines as soon as you are satisfied that enough antifreeze is coming out the exhaust.

I always hate putting the full cover on - truely the end of the year....

t500hps
12-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Why didn't you just put the bucket on the swim platform???

15 years ago I used a 5 gallon bucket with a hole in the side (at the bottom) and fitted a garden hose valve to it. Cut and made enough hose to sit the bucket on the swim platform and run the muffs to the p/u of the drives. 4 gallons of antifreeze and I can step on the sunpad and watch/make sure it goes in.

....and it's about time you got that pig put away for the winter....if you were still out riding you should have called me!!! mine's been put away for 6 weeks. :(

Seafordguy
12-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Why didn't you just put the bucket on the swim platform???

15 years ago I used a 5 gallon bucket with a hole in the side (at the bottom) and fitted a garden hose valve to it. Cut and made enough hose to sit the bucket on the swim platform and run the muffs to the p/u of the drives. 4 gallons of antifreeze and I can step on the sunpad and watch/make sure it goes in.

....and it's about time you got that pig put away for the winter....if you were still out riding you should have called me!!! mine's been put away for 6 weeks. :(

I can tell it is happy hour since your reading comprehension is so poor. :sifone: I don't have impellers so the earmuff method doesn't work real well, and with gravity feed through the fresh water flush the volume has never seemed to be sufficient so I put this little system together.

We haven't boated since October and it has had a heater in it for a month or so, but I just got it filled with AF, but either way if I was out riding around I would have called your wife and left your ass at home....:cheers2:

schnydo
12-12-2009, 10:35 PM
I use a shopvac with the pump out feature

t500hps
12-13-2009, 01:32 AM
I can tell it is happy hour since your reading comprehension is so poor. :sifone: I don't have impellers so the earmuff method doesn't work real well, and with gravity feed through the fresh water flush the volume has never seemed to be sufficient so I put this little system together.

We haven't boated since October and it has had a heater in it for a month or so, but I just got it filled with AF, but either way if I was out riding around I would have called your wife and left your ass at home....:cheers2:

You don't have an engine mounted seawater pump???? If you've tried using gravity from the top of the ladders (or swimplatform) and it didn't work then you would need that pump.....I'm just surprised that didn't work (it did for me when I used that setup)......

smartazz!!! :)
She might have gone with Kelli......but not you (we're the ugly one remember)! :bump: :)

Ted
12-13-2009, 02:41 AM
I have a 10 gallon tank in my freshwater system. Also have a hose fitting at the platform for showers. I hook a hose to the fitting after draining the tank, fill with 10 gallons of non-toxic antifreeze, and use the freshwater pump to push A/F through my flushers, when I'm done the F/W system is full of A/F and the engines are too.

MikeyFIN
12-13-2009, 05:25 AM

I always have had a little trouble getting the antifreeze flowing up from the ear muffs so this year I put a big rubbermaid container on two ladders, filled it full of antifreeze and put in a 35 dollar sump pump from Harbor Freight. Hooked the pump to the fresh-water flush attachments on the side of the boat. Turned on the pump fired up the engines and was done in about 30 seconds. Worked really well and not much waste because you can kill the engines as soon as you are satisfied that enough antifreeze is coming out the exhaust.

neat system but having a pump in there why all the hassle to put the container on a ladder?

Seafordguy
12-13-2009, 11:48 AM
neat system but having a pump in there why all the hassle to put the container on a ladder?

I've never been able to get the Block mounted water pump to pull AF up through the ear muffs, and I've never been able to get gravity to feed the fresh water mounts fast enough....

Maybe it is just me, but I swear I've read about others that have had the same problem....

MikeyFIN
12-13-2009, 12:23 PM
I wondered why put the container in the ladder if you hooked the pump to the fresh water attachments?
The pump should be able to pump it high enough without taking it up on a ladder, right?
If you took the electricity to the pump from the boat etc then I understand the convenience in that.
Otherwise we agree fully.

Sydwayz
12-13-2009, 12:28 PM
I use the 5-gallon winterization jug available at West Marine & etc. I added a valve stem from a motorcycle wheel (the kind that installs with a rubber grommet and nut to secure/seal it.

I then pressurize the jug with a small air compressor. It works like a charm.

BillR
12-13-2009, 12:32 PM

This is the exact way I winterize. However, I assume you FULLY warmed up the engines so the thermostat was open?

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-13-2009, 12:35 PM
This is the exact way I winterize. However, I assume you FULLY warmed up the engines so the thermostat was open?

I assume all of you drain everything first.

wananewboat
12-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Would you need to drain everything? Wouldn't the antifreeze push any remaining water left in the system. Most car antifreeze has to mix with water anyway.

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Would you need to drain everything? Wouldn't the antifreeze push any remaining water left in the system. Most car antifreeze has to mix with water anyway.

Absolutely. Drain it first. Water does not push it mixes and dilutes.

Many use the non toxic that is not intended to be mixed.

When the cold anti freeze hits the thermostat it reacts. I have replaced numerous engines over the years in boats that added anti freeze without draining it first.

Who ever says they don't drain it first and has not has problems is relying on luck.

MacGyver
12-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Never use car antifreeze. It's very toxic.

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Never use car antifreeze. It's very toxic.

Years ago before the non toxic was used the marinas in my area that purchased ethylene glycol in bulk had to capture it and account for it in the spring. It is very toxic and should not be allowed to soak into the ground. This is the orange and green type

The non toxic in propylene glycol. It is safe and should not be mixed with water. This is the pink stuff.

It is also much less expensive to use.

MacGyver
12-13-2009, 12:59 PM
How's my method Jim?

I place a 5 gallon bucket on the swim platform, run the hose to the muffs, suck 5 gallons in. That covers the drive, sea strainer and sea pump. Then open all the drains and remove the lower hose off the water pump and drain. Close everything back up and fill it back up with antifreeze through the t-stat.

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-13-2009, 01:22 PM
How's my method Jim?

I place a 5 gallon bucket on the swim platform, run the hose to the muffs, suck 5 gallons in. That covers the drive, sea strainer and sea pump. Then open all the drains and remove the lower hose off the water pump and drain. Close everything back up and fill it back up with antifreeze through the t-stat.

That is effective. I think it borders over kill. Peace of mind is priceless. I personally prefer to drain and fill manually too. However that is not always practical.
If you are only doing your personal boat it is fine. For those who do about a dozen a day the drain and pump it in is better.

A BB holds about 5 gallons a SB almost 4 plus strainers

MacGyver
12-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Peace of mind is priceless.

Yup :cheers2:

Seafordguy
12-13-2009, 02:41 PM

No stats here Bill.....

Hey not sure if you have got the entertainment set up yet for the ACS poker run this year or not, but a buddy of mine is in this band that plays here locally. Lots of fun dance stuff - would be a good fit for the poker run crowd if you're interested.

Scarab KV
12-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Drain everything dry then pull the upper hose and filler up with the pink. Takes about 4-1/2 gallons a side

t500hps
12-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Warm up, then drain everything. Run with several gallons of pink anti-freeze, then drain again....mainly because I remove the seawater pump right then and pull the impeller to inspect and leave un-bound for the winter. If it's 1 year old and still looking good I put the same impeller back in come spring.

MikeyFIN
12-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Flush, Drain, then fill up manually here.
And Yes I´m quite anal in this so for living doing this I´d be starved....

US1Fountain
12-15-2009, 06:05 PM
What about the beer?

Seafordguy
12-15-2009, 06:29 PM
What about the beer?

Remove from boat, as it could freeze leaving you with a mess come spring time.

MacGyver
12-15-2009, 08:20 PM
What about the beer?

Remove from boat, as it could freeze leaving you with a mess come spring time.

Better to consume any leftover beers. Don't want any funky beer when spring rolls around :cheers2:

Scarab KV
12-15-2009, 08:50 PM
What about the beer?

Left over beer:huh:

Scarab KV
12-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Better to consume any leftover beers. Don't want any funky beer when spring rolls around :cheers2:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

BillR
12-15-2009, 11:37 PM
No stats here Bill.....

Hey not sure if you have got the entertainment set up yet for the ACS poker run this year or not, but a buddy of mine is in this band that plays here locally. Lots of fun dance stuff - would be a good fit for the poker run crowd if you're interested.

Get me his info and I'll present it to the committew.