PDA

View Full Version : Banks Marinized diesel

Jassman
12-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Banks Engine Line-up At PRI Show Set to Include New
Sequential Super-Turbo & Twin Turbo Street/Strip Powerplants

Gale Banks Engineering’s return to the Performance Racing Industry Show in Orlando, Florida on December 9-12, 2009 will see a number of very new and exciting ready-to-install, high-performance diesel engines from the company that's recognized as the industry leader in aftermarket diesel technology.

BANKS SEQUENTIAL SUPER-TURBO DIESEL

First on the list (and the most blatantly obvious) is the incredible Banks Sequential Super-Turbo (Marine Version) Diesel. Yes, that's a powerfully efficient sixth generation Eaton TVS supercharger topping off that Twin-Turbo 6.6 Liter GM Duramax-based V-8. It's pretty easy to note that "Boost Guru" Gale Banks has combined the best of both (extra-aspirated) worlds to produce a (pardon the expression) "mind-blowing" marine engine. The idea here is to combine the best of the two 'charging (super and turbo) systems for lightning-strike responsiveness and the very broadest possible power band on the water. Here's where great low end supercharging blends perfectly into top end turbo-power all seamlessly controlled by Banks/Bosch electronics. We're looking at 600+ very husky horsepower at only 3800 rpm here, and "over 1,000" (that's horsepower) with the addition of a competition-tuned nitrous oxide system along with upgrades to some key engine components.

stainless
12-09-2009, 10:06 AM
I was interested in this for over a year, and the guys never got back to me! Now ,I've bought a gas powered boat! (Damn!)

Jassman
12-10-2009, 08:35 AM
I was interested in this for over a year, and the guys never got back to me! Now ,I've bought a gas powered boat! (Damn!)

Dont worry.. I bet it will be this time next year before it goes into production.

rschap1
12-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I really thought turbo and diesel technology was advanced far enough to eliminate the need/benefit of the supercharger...

BUIZILLA
12-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I really thought turbo and diesel technology was advanced far enough to eliminate the need/benefit of the supercharger...don't tell Volvo that...

rschap1
12-11-2009, 09:37 AM
What's Volvo got going?
A supercharger diesel wouldn't seem surprising. But the combo of turbo and supercharging does. Seems like turbos can make as much boost whenever wanted when set up correctly. Why the need for a blower too???

tommymonza
12-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Volvo has been doing it for years.I used to own a couple of their nightmares.Twice as many parts to break and a service life of a 1000 hours if your lucky.

BUIZILLA
12-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Detroit Diesel and others did it for years with success....

Volvo just tried to turn their's another 1,000 rpm past sanity/humanity... :ack2:

searaycer
12-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Yes, many old Detroits were combo superchargers with a turbo blowing into the supercharger....

shifter
12-12-2009, 02:38 AM
Looks good saw it today.

pat W

7075T6
12-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Detroit Diesel and others did it for years with success....

Volvo just tried to turn their's another 1,000 rpm past sanity/humanity... :ack2:

Been using the Volvo D6-435 (tuned to 470 hp/3700 rpm) for two seasons.
Before that two years with the D6-370, also with supercharger/turbo.

Lot of full throttle driving including a third overall in the Round Britain-race
last year. We also drove the boat 1100Nm from Sweden to England before the race... In 2500 Nm of mostly full throttle driving the engines never missed a beat. Checked the oil every day and filled up with 1 l/engine in those 2500Nm. The supercharger is really good in heavy seas when you need instant power all the time.