PDA

View Full Version : 68 years ago today

cuda
12-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Was Pearl Harbor day.
Keep that in mind when you buy a Toyota.

cigdaze
12-07-2009, 11:03 AM
:USA: :cool:

phragle
12-07-2009, 11:36 AM
I had flag duty once on the Arizona Memorial when i was stationed in Pearl Harbor. One of the most solemn and reflective days I have ever had.

Knot 4 Me
12-07-2009, 11:38 AM
I visited the Arizona Memorial back in '95. Very sobering experience watching the fuel oil coming up to the surface and evaporating. There were more Japanese tourists on the ride out than American.

Chris
12-07-2009, 12:41 PM
That was a sad and horrible day. But it was the day that the modern-day America was born. Up until then, we were just one of a handful of larger nations. And a junior member of that club.

Three years and nine months later we were the most significant global superpower, an industrial giant capable of supplying the entire world with food and materiel at will while simultaneously crushing the Axis powers, and holder of the title of the people that saved the entire world.

Not bad.

Davidmnc
12-07-2009, 01:01 PM
:USA: :cheers2: :USA:

cuda
12-07-2009, 01:24 PM
I had flag duty once on the Arizona Memorial when i was stationed in Pearl Harbor. One of the most solemn and reflective days I have ever had.

My dad was stationed at Pearl where my sister was born before Hawaii was a state. He was out on a patrol and he never told my mom where he was. They were running a picket line around Antiwetok (sp) Atoll when the US was experimenting with the hydrogen bomb. He never told my mom, until he saw it on 60 minutes. My mom said she knew, because all the other wives would talk. I tell mom that's why I'm crazy. That was just before I was concieved.

catastrophe
12-07-2009, 01:39 PM
That was a sad and horrible day. But it was the day that the modern-day America was born. Up until then, we were just one of a handful of larger nations. And a junior member of that club.

Three years and nine months later we were the most significant global superpower, an industrial giant capable of supplying the entire world with food and materiel at will while simultaneously crushing the Axis powers, and holder of the title of the people that saved the entire world.

Not bad.

I have never heard your country described that way.

But very true. I agree 100%.

:USA::USA::USA::USA:

cuda
12-07-2009, 02:08 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/monument-unveiling-monday-in-boynton-to-honor-pearl-103598.html

Wrinkleface
12-07-2009, 02:22 PM
:usa::usa::usa:

THEJOKER
12-07-2009, 03:08 PM
I love my Toyota trucks but I see your point. I've also had VW's , etc.........

boatme
12-07-2009, 03:13 PM

Not bad.

Time to kick tail again! This time we need a full frontal assault on our politicians
Not just democrats, not just republicans ALL OF THEM Time to clean house

clayinaustin
12-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Was Pearl Harbor day.

We should always remember our brave man and women who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. I was an Army office for four years. My father served in the Pacific Fleet during World War II. You will not find a more patrotic person than me.

HOWEVER, there comes a time when a nation must let go of the old wounds and move forward. Trying to "punish" the current generation of Japanese people for the actions of their forefathers is like black people wanting the "punish" the current generation of white people for 200 years of slavery.

If the grandson of a Japanese pilot who bombed Pearl Harbor currently works in a Toyota factory, it is wrong to "punish" him for the acts of his grandfather.

Remember our fallen solders? Yes!

Hold a grudge against the sons and grandsons of enemy solders? No.

Just my two-cents...

catastrophe
12-07-2009, 03:39 PM
We should always remember our brave man and women who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. I was an Army office for four years. My father served in the Pacific Fleet during World War II. You will not find a more patrotic person than me.

HOWEVER, there comes a time when a nation must let go of the old wounds and move forward. Trying to "punish" the current generation of Japanese people for the actions of their forefathers is like black people wanting the "punish" the current generation of white people for 200 years of slavery.

If the grandson of a Japanese pilot who bombed Pearl Harbor currently works in a Toyota factory, it is wrong to "punish" him for the acts of his grandfather.

Just my two-cents...

Well said.:iagree::iagree:

Davidmnc
12-07-2009, 03:46 PM

Just my two-cents...
:iagree: :cheers2: :iagree:

Knot 4 Me
12-07-2009, 03:48 PM

Just my two-cents...As I posted above, when I went to visit the memorial there were a lot of Japanese tourists in attendance. At one point a group of them, being a bit enthusiastic and impatient, cut in line in front of my wife. My wife proceeded to unload on them on how we would not be visiting this memorial if not for them. I quietly reminded her that these folks were not the ones that planned or executed the attack and now was not the time or place to engage in such behavior. To this day the memory of looking down at the water at the oil coming up to the surface gives me chills.

cuda
12-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Don't forget the Japanese Zero was a Mitsubishi A6M, that carried out these attacks. Have you ever read about the atrocities the Japanese inflicted on the Chinese? They made the Nazis look like they were dipping some girls hair in the inkwell.

Forgive them if you wish, but I still hold a grudge. Just for your edification Clay, you are not the most patriotic person I can find. A WWII vet lives right behind me. He jumped behind the lines on D-Day. He's a true American hero, and patriot. I was coming around the corner on Memorial Day early in the morning. He was standing by his flag pole saluting. I bet he's not forgiving either.

phragle
12-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Brief history lesson... while we all know about pearl harbor, few understand what led up to it. Through out history Japan and China have not gotten along very well. Prior to Pearl Harbor, Japan was once again at war with China. Japan being a country of little natural resources imported most of it's oil (75%)and other natural resources from the United States. The US had interest in China so political pressure and an embargo
on oil and other resources were placed on Japan by the U.S. Also 'quasi covert' military action was taken against Japan by the U.S. in the form of the Flying Tigers etc.. At this time Japan was so entrenched with the war in China, it felt that its very survival as a nation was threatened. Japan, though it underestimated the American resolve, still did not believe it could win a war with the U.S., but choose to attack Pearl Harbor under the reasoning that by decimating the American fleet, it would be able to acquire the resources to win its war with China. Pearl Harbor was not a result of Japanese hatred for the US or an attempt to conquer the US, it was merely a last ditch effort to obtain the resources necessary to win the war with China and maintain their existence.

So if any of you were wondering "What the hell were they thinking" now you know.... Japan attacked the US, but it was not without provocation.

cuda
12-07-2009, 04:03 PM
If you want to see how they really are, read about the Rape of Nanking.

Knot 4 Me
12-07-2009, 04:10 PM
There was an interesting documentary on one of the cable channels a couple of years ago showing WWII vets from both sides (Japanese and American) participating in an expedition to locate and identify a ship that had been sunk during the war. I cannot remember the details but vets from both sides participated in a ceremony aboard the research ship once the sunken ship was located. Provided insight into the mindset of soldiers on both sides both during the war and decades later.

cuda
12-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Brief history lesson... while we all know about pearl harbor, few understand what led up to it. Through out history Japan and China have not gotten along very well. Prior to Pearl Harbor, Japan was once again at war with China. Japan being a country of little natural resources imported most of it's oil (75%)and other natural resources from the United States. The US had interest in China so political pressure and an embargo
on oil and other resources were placed on Japan by the U.S. Also 'quasi covert' military action was taken against Japan by the U.S. in the form of the Flying Tigers etc.. At this time Japan was so entrenched with the war in China, it felt that its very survival as a nation was threatened. Japan, though it underestimated the American resolve, still did not believe it could win a war with the U.S., but choose to attack Pearl Harbor under the reasoning that by decimating the American fleet, it would be able to acquire the resources to win its war with China. Pearl Harbor was not a result of Japanese hatred for the US or an attempt to conquer the US, it was merely a last ditch effort to obtain the resources necessary to win the war with China and maintain their existence.

So if any of you were wondering "What the hell were they thinking" now you know.... Japan attacked the US, but it was not without provocation.
Yep, it was about oil. The Japs bombed the US with the understanding that the Nazi's would declare war on America. It was lack of oil that was the downfall of the Wermacht in Europe.

clayinaustin
12-07-2009, 04:27 PM
If you want to see how they really are, read about the Rape of Nanking.

The Nanking Massacre or Nanjing Massacre, also known as the Rape of Nanking, refers to a six-week period following the Japanese capture of the city of Nanjing (Nanking), former capital of the Republic of China, on December 9, 1937.

That shows how they WERE in 1937, not how they ARE today.

200 years ago American Calvary killed thousands of native Americans. White land owners had black slaves. Is that how we are today?

Let it go, Cuda. Let it go...

phragle
12-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Clay, good point...if you really want to understand the faliure of immigration control, ask a native american indian......

cuda
12-07-2009, 05:57 PM
The Nanking Massacre or Nanjing Massacre, also known as the Rape of Nanking, refers to a six-week period following the Japanese capture of the city of Nanjing (Nanking), former capital of the Republic of China, on December 9, 1937.

That shows how they WERE in 1937, not how they ARE today.

200 years ago American Calvary killed thousands of native Americans. White land owners had black slaves. Is that how we are today?

Let it go, Cuda. Let it go...

Give me another 150 years, and maybe I won't give a damn. Do me a favor and hold your all knowing breath.

getchasum111
12-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Was Pearl Harbor day.

How many Toyota plants here in the USA...How many people do they and their parts suppliers keep employed....I know it was a bad day and we should never forget....but Toyota pays me to do a job that I that I in turn put back into my community buying groceries and keeping my kids clothed in in school....so you want people to not buy cars from me and put me and my family out in the cold?....hum...

phragle
12-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Give me another 150 years, and maybe I won't give a damn. Do me a favor and hold your all knowing breath.

Cuda, then you might as well blame yourself, for it was the US that rebuilt a crumbled Japan after the war. Had it not been for US support and tax dollars, japan would not be where it is today..

Sea-Dated
12-07-2009, 06:08 PM

If you haven't been, everyone should go to the Memorial once in their lives....

clayinaustin
12-07-2009, 06:11 PM

In my best Yoda voice... Let go of your hate, for to the dark side that path leads. :p

cuda
12-07-2009, 06:37 PM
In my best Yoda voice... Let go of your hate, for to the dark side that path leads. :p
In my best Rhett Butler voice, Frankly dear, I don't give a damn.

THEJOKER
12-07-2009, 07:13 PM
In my best Rhett Butler voice, Frankly dear, I don't give a damn.
Classic Cuda! haha...Freedom of Speech at it's finest!

Expensive Date
12-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Maybe we should all just pause and show our respect for the fallen.

cigdaze
12-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Maybe we should all just pause and show our respect for the fallen.

I completely agree.

Instead of arguing with one another and rehashing the anger and resentment of a bygone ere, let us rather stand together in remembrance for all those who have given the ultimate sacrifice to give us what we have today. :USA: :)

MacGyver
12-07-2009, 07:29 PM

If you haven't been, everyone should go to the Memorial once in their lives....

http://www.ohanafun.net/resampled/370x260-fit/uploads/USS_Arizona_Memorial.jpg

cuda
12-07-2009, 07:41 PM
I completely agree.

Instead of arguing with one another and rehashing the anger and resentment of a bygone ere, let us rather stand together in remembrance for all those who have given the ultimate sacrifice to give us what we have today. :USA: :)

That's all I wanted to do until I was given a morality lesson in post 13 that I didn't need, or ask for.

MacGyver
12-07-2009, 07:57 PM
This thread is to honor the over 2,400 American lives lost that day. Lets keep all comments civil, please.