PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use a BOB?

Dude! Sweet!
12-01-2009, 02:04 PM
I was thinking of picking up one of those freestanding BOB boxing dummies and wondered whether they fall over all the time like a lot of the cheaper free standing bags. Anyone ever use one? Like it/hate it? I appreciate any input.

http://store.titleboxing.com/bob.html

MikeyFIN
12-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Never.. I play with live ammo... heavyweights usually for sparring with me..they´re so slow but hit hard so better watch out ;) thenagain a Cruiserweight is a killer... just as powerful and way faster than the heavyweights.

Dude! Sweet!
12-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Ha! No more live ammo for me. I've scrambled my brain enough for one lifetime...

I fought heavyweight in college (club) and got back into training a couple years ago. That led to sparring with some pretty decent 185 - 205# guys who were too quick for my fat, old ass. (I have some self control issues!) So I promised my wife no more sparring...

But those Body Opponent Bags crack me up. Like slapping around a "real doll"! :sifone:

MikeyFIN
12-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Hahaaa.... well we got the same problems... Or so the rumor goes about me.
The last time I sparred a heawyweight was a amateur muay thai world champ, not bad but a olympic hope cruiserweight cracked my nose instantly...
That was when I thought that over 40 I´m done with this chit.. but I still go to the gym every once in a while to went out.

Perlmudder
12-01-2009, 02:29 PM
I went to a party a couple weeks ago that had one. Some decent size guys were beating on it and only a couple were able to knock it over on a regular basis. I think for a normal person it would be fine.

Dude! Sweet!
12-01-2009, 02:42 PM
I think for a normal person it would be fine.

Hmmmm, that gives me some concern... :sifone:

imco offshore
12-01-2009, 08:01 PM
get a wii ,, it swings back and you dont, feel it,,,i got one for my grand son, last christmas, hes 8 ,,,2 years in (a type of fighting) but now, the teacher says! that thing has helped him a lot,,, he is now a green belt,,and kicks the wii,s azz, all the time,,trust me it will wear you out!! have a great holiday to all

cigdaze
12-01-2009, 08:29 PM
I've used a few people as punching bags. I don't think any of their names was Bob, though.
;)

Seriously, I've whaled on one of those before. They're a good workout, and tougher to knock down than you may think.

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-01-2009, 08:37 PM
I thought you were asking the girls.. Battery Operated Boyfriend.:)

sellsman11
12-01-2009, 08:55 PM
get a wii ,,

Good stuff right there. I mean, come on..... A BOB?? If you want a workout, go to a gym. If you want a fight, bad mouth Apache's in Port Clinton OH!:driving:

Tommy Gun
12-01-2009, 09:13 PM
If you want a fight, bad mouth Apache's in Port Clinton OH!:driving:

Ha ha! :boxing_smiley:

Dude! Sweet!
12-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Good stuff right there. I mean, come on..... A BOB?? If you want a workout, go to a gym. If you want a fight, bad mouth Apache's in Port Clinton OH!:driving:

I can stay right here in california and get pushed off a bar stool! :bump:

I don't have anyplace to put my 100# heavy bag anymore now that we redid our breezway. So I want to get a freestanding bag. Problem is most of them are very easy to knock over (especially when you weigh as much as the bag AFTER it's full of sand).

Battery Operated Boyfriend! Nice. Wonder if my wife will let me borrow hers to knock around the back yard!

dykstra
12-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Battery Operated Boyfriend! Nice. Wonder if my wife will let me borrow hers to knock around the back yard!

Hilarious!!!!!!

fund razor
12-02-2009, 06:44 AM
I can stay right here in california and get pushed off a bar stool! :bump:

I don't have anyplace to put my 100# heavy bag anymore now that we redid our breezway. So I want to get a freestanding bag. Problem is most of them are very easy to knock over (especially when you weigh as much as the bag AFTER it's full of sand).

i really prefer the hanging heavy bag. dad was a boxer, so i scored one in my early teens. i would try to rig some kind of mount, if there was any way.

searaycer
12-02-2009, 08:50 AM
my brother has one, I am 6'4" 235, he is 6'8" 275, needless to say it is useless, one good right and it is on the ground........

fund razor
12-02-2009, 10:11 AM
my brother has one, I am 6'4" 235, he is 6'8" 275, needless to say it is useless, one good right and it is on the ground........

That's funny.
I am 6'6" and 255. I am a perfect middle brother, no? :D

JupiterSunsation
12-02-2009, 04:48 PM
BOB? Thought that was for chicks.......Battery Operated Boyfriend!

fund razor
12-02-2009, 05:25 PM
BOB? Thought that was for chicks.......Battery Operated Boyfriend!

see post 9

DAREDEVIL
12-02-2009, 05:45 PM
By a rubber doll ( eve ) and make love !!!!!! LOL

makes u live life better !!!!

NO NEED FOR BOXING IN THIS WORLD,,,,AWAY WITH ALL THE VIOLENCE !:USA:

JupiterSunsation
12-02-2009, 06:07 PM
see post 9

missed that! :cheers2:

Ms PatriYacht
12-02-2009, 06:14 PM
That BOB thing looks dumb, what about this one http://store.titleboxing.com/titleboxing-wavemaster-xxl.html they have something like this at Bally's and it is pretty heavy to move around.

Since there are several boxers on this thread I hope you don't mind if I ask a question. I recently have taken up the sport for exercise and joined a class at a Boxing gym where we use a hanging bag that swings. I have been practicing at Bally's on the style of bag in the picture. I believe I hurt my right arm from punching that type of bag. The pain runs in a slant pattern from the top left side of my right wrist to the center below the elbow, it even hurts when using a spray bottle or clicking on the mouse. I have not worked out on a bag since the week before Key West and I still have the same level of pain. I know no one on here is a doctor, but I was wondering if this is a common injury for boxers. I am also wondering if the swinging bag is less likely to cause an injury. The hanging bag we use in the class moves to easily and it seems harder to land a solid punch on, so since I could wale away on this floor one I really liked it, now I am thinking I was punching it to hard or not correctly. Sorry to go on about this but it has been on my mind and since I have not been back to the boxing gym I don't really know who to ask. Plus I don't want Ian or my family to know that I may have hurt something because they all said I should not take up boxing because I might hurt my hands.

Dude! Sweet!
12-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Barb do you wrap your wrists?

Ms PatriYacht
12-02-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm Donna, Barb is Chief Apache:) that's OK she posts more than me

Actually I have wraps, but they are wrapped around some cereal boxes in my pantry:blush5: I used them a couple of times but they were a pain to put on and kept getting tangled in the washing machine so I stopped wearing them, I bought a good pair of gloves so I thought that was enough, I take it from your comment that wraps are fairly important.

Dude! Sweet!
12-02-2009, 11:04 PM
My bad... I've been drinking! I read your name and pictured Mrs. Chief!

Yah, I would strongly recommend that you use the wraps. I'm guessing that even if you're fairly lithe your bone and ligament structure is as well. So you'll likely be able to generate enough impact and odd angles to stretch or microtear your tendons and ligaments. The wraps help. And if the bag moves around a lot, you may be pushing your punches into the bag instead of striking the bag which could also cause stress on the joints, tendons and ligaments. Once you get used to them, they go on quick and for me, I find the wrapping process kind of helps me clear my mind and focus before I start training.

Bobcat
12-03-2009, 12:50 AM
all this talk about hitting Bob is making me nervous.:leaving:

phragle
12-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Dude... go down to Venice about 1 am and tell the first gangbanger you see he's wus... you will get your workout....

Perlmudder
12-03-2009, 01:40 AM
all this talk about hitting Bob is making me nervous.:leaving:

ya... punk! :sifone:

MikeyFIN
12-03-2009, 05:42 AM
My bad... I've been drinking! I read your name and pictured Mrs. Chief!

Yah, I would strongly recommend that you use the wraps. I'm guessing that even if you're fairly lithe your bone and ligament structure is as well. So you'll likely be able to generate enough impact and odd angles to stretch or microtear your tendons and ligaments. The wraps help. And if the bag moves around a lot, you may be pushing your punches into the bag instead of striking the bag which could also cause stress on the joints, tendons and ligaments. Once you get used to them, they go on quick and for me, I find the wrapping process kind of helps me clear my mind and focus before I start training.

Donna...couldn´t said it better myself.
wrap it up or let someone more experienced show you first how to.

Dude! Sweet!
12-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Dude... go down to Venice about 1 am and tell the first gangbanger you see he's wus... you will get your workout....

But I don't speak Italian.

Ms PatriYacht
12-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks' guys I am not sure what you mean by striking vs punching. The guy that teaches the class is one of top title holders in MI, but he lacks an ability to really explain. He stands behind us and sets up a punch sequence and then demonstrates by punching the air, then we hit the bags for a min, while he says punch harder, but he does not punch with us. I would like to learn the correct method but can't afford to have a one on one coach so I was wondering if you know of any instructional DVD's that you would recommend. I was thinking I would find someone at the gym to practice with but most of the guys seem to be there for the cage fighting, which I don't get since all they seem to do is crawl or squat around the ring and most are on the fat side. I really enjoy the kicking part, one min. drills sure gets your heart up. I think I will start back next week, but not punch as hard until my forearm seems better.

Dude! Sweet!
12-03-2009, 11:02 AM
"Pushing" punches. Maybe some better detail on the internet, but basically you're hitting the bag and then pushing it at the end of the punch. Its hard to expalain because I always learned to target punches inside someone rather than on the striking surface. But basically I'd describe the objective as hitting the surface rather than pushing into it.

For fitness, I'm kind of surprised your trainer is telling you to hit harder.

I've been to an MMA gym and a regular boxing gym and liked traditional boxing more. The MMA gym did have some Mui Thai training which was a hell of a workout. Might be something to look into.

MikeyFIN
12-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Muay Thai gym workout for me includes usually something like this on a 1.5 hr timeframe.
10 min jump rope warm up, 5 min strecthing , sparring/combotraining 45 minutes then 20min work out including 200 push ups and 200 situps plus a lot of else like jumping up in the air..bear walking etc then a 10 min stretch out plus after a while at home a 20 min stretch out several hours after practice.

I vote for Muay Thai as a pure exercise after all it is the king of martial arts...
It was so funny to waste all the kickboxers who came over and thought they are some good in sparring..also at the competitions when K1 or MT rules did apply Kickboxers usually didn´t even walk home they had to be carried away.
Back in the Day we had King of the Ring Jomhod Kiatadisak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jomhod_Kiatadisak) as a coach/train in our gym those were the days we were the best amateur Thai Gym in the world by the World titles.

That couch you got sounds strange.. in fitness and as a workout pace is the key not strength as I´ve personally coached that, the key is to break out the sweat.

Well the pushing punch when you lock it is the same as a landing/target punch.
Seldom use myself pushing ones though.

Ms PatriYacht
12-03-2009, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=Dude!

For fitness, I'm kind of surprised your trainer is telling you to hit harder.

QUOTE]

I think it's because the class is made up of whimpy women that are always complaining that they can't do this or that, none of them can even jump rope, they skip with one foot at a time. I was amazed to see how they can hardly do any of the ab work, which I will say is a challenge, but that's why I go. The class is through parks and rec and does not cost much. I think due to the combinaton of low cost and whimpy students the instructor does not put that much into it. But it's the only class like this that's around and since I wound up liking boxing I am going to try to make the most out of it.

So you are saying I don't have to try to punch real hard then

Ms PatriYacht
12-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Mickey the class format is about 15 min of warm ups, starting with 3-5 min. jump rope, then jumping jacks, old fashioned stuff like squat thrusts, lunges, side bends, then about a half hour on the bag (which is not enough for me) then 15 min of pretty hard ab work, sometimes we do drills on the mat like the crab walk. Everyone signed up for two classes a week, but the guy is lax and I usually show up for three, for most of the woman this 2 x a week class is the only fitness thing they do all week. I still go to the Health club in the mornings about 5 days a week, and then walk or ride my bike outside. I have never heard of Muay Tai, but it sounds like something I would like so I will look it up on the internet. Thanks I really like talking about this type of excersise and finding out more about it.

fund razor
12-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Donna, make sure that when you punch with a fist that you are aligning the first two knuckles (Index and middle fingers) with the bones of you forearm. You don't want to allow your wrist to twist too far to the inside (this is hard anyway) or the outside (this is easier and results in twisting forces in the wrist and forearm. If you can feel the strike too much in your ring and pinky fingers, your wrist is not well aligned with the forearm.

Have you been injured enough in your travels to be able to tell bone pain from muscle pain? I would be really curious whether your injury is "soft" or "hard." Does it hurt when you are NOT moving it? Or when you move it using the non-injured arm to lift or twist it?
If you have any type of fracture at all (even hairline crack) you need to let it heal completely. Love you, and not calling you old by any means... but the realilty of your gender and age can indicate some bone density loss that you may not notice if it weren't for the extreme impact on the bones of the wrist and forearm. Wraps would help spread the forces around.

I know how much you love fitness and your workouts... but I wonder whether this kind of training is a good idea until the injury heals completely.

phragle
12-03-2009, 01:09 PM
But I don't speak Italian.

hows your spanish?? U dink U baad S-A?

Ms PatriYacht
12-03-2009, 03:07 PM
John you you sound like Ian and my parents, yes you are right I am old, 54 but somehow I still think I am in my 20's, OK maybe 30's;) :iagree:I am probably to old for this but I like it, hell LOL I smoked those kids in the class. Anway it only hurts when I use it, like if my arm was at my side and I was carrying a gallon of milk or lifting my suitcase in Key West. I can rub it, lift it, move it, bend it, and it does not have any swelling or bruising. I had a bone densisty test several years back and there were no signs of bone loss. I think the last day before vacation I was working out on my own on that bag on the floor, I got carried away and was slamming the bag, probably incorrectly, and without the wraps. This bag is very heavy and does not give an inch so I think it was pretty jarring on my right arm, I can't punch nearly as hard with my left. I don't think I broke anything, but I wonder if I tore a ligament, but am hoping it is just a strain. I miss the class and now that I know that I don't have to punch that hard I will tone it down and if it hurts just do the kicking and the other parts. It's crazy, you work out to stay young, but getting older gets in the way of working out:(

fund razor
12-03-2009, 04:06 PM
John you you sound like Ian and my parents, yes you are right I am old, 54 but somehow I still think I am in my 20's, OK maybe 30's;) :iagree:I am probably to old for this but I like it, hell LOL I smoked those kids in the class. Anway it only hurts when I use it, like if my arm was at my side and I was carrying a gallon of milk or lifting my suitcase in Key West. I can rub it, lift it, move it, bend it, and it does not have any swelling or bruising. I had a bone densisty test several years back and there were no signs of bone loss. I think the last day before vacation I was working out on my own on that bag on the floor, I got carried away and was slamming the bag, probably incorrectly, and without the wraps. This bag is very heavy and does not give an inch so I think it was pretty jarring on my right arm, I can't punch nearly as hard with my left. I don't think I broke anything, but I wonder if I tore a ligament, but am hoping it is just a strain. I miss the class and now that I know that I don't have to punch that hard I will tone it down and if it hurts just do the kicking and the other parts. It's crazy, you work out to stay young, but getting older gets in the way of working out:(
Then maybe you just overdid it and it's taking a little extra time to heal.

Not being a pig here... but we should all make 54 look so good. :)

Let's make a deal... you keep boxing but you wear a helmet when you do your back yard weeding/rock climbing. :D

Oh... and I'll drink less. :D :D