PDA

View Full Version : where do I lift?

old377guy
11-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Hey guys,
I borrowed 4 Yardarms for lifting my 38' Scarab off the trailer - I'm going to do a bit of maintenance on the trailer over the winter. I've placed two of the units at the rear and the front two 12 1/2 feet from the bow. Any thoughts or experience with correct placement? Thanks in advance. Jeff

Toasty
11-30-2009, 07:09 PM
might not lift with that set up. Might want to use a small fork truck with extended forks and boat jack stands. Good looking boat and shop! good luck

old377guy
11-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks Toasty. A friend used this setup to lift his 42 OL off this trailer but I'm mostly concerned with balance and jack placement. - Jeff

imco offshore
11-30-2009, 07:18 PM
please be sure to "tie" the yard arms together at the tops, so thay don,t get bumped or try to pop out,, ",tie accross from each other" good lu ck

Magnum Mark
11-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks Toasty. A friend used this setup to lift his 42 OL off this trailer but I'm mostly concerned with balance and jack placement. - Jeff

block the keel once off trailer. just like a marina during winter storage..dont trust yardarm even with lock pins..support bottom outboard as well for balance..

DAREDEVIL
11-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Hey guys,
I borrowed 4 Yardarms for lifting my 38' Scarab off the trailer - I'm going to do a bit of maintenance on the trailer over the winter. I've placed two of the units at the rear and the front two 12 1/2 feet from the bow. Any thoughts or experience with correct placement? Thanks in advance. Jeff

The way u got it ,,is perfect, ( i would put the front ones more back, like where the steering bulkhead is ).......as soon as u get the trailer out , make sure to put some wood in the center of the V and u be fine .

The way yardarms are build,,they can not move once the weight is on them !!!!

RACESDAD
11-30-2009, 07:22 PM
call jeff at yardarm

old377guy
11-30-2009, 07:22 PM
please be sure to "tie" the yard arms together at the tops, so thay don,t get bumped or try to pop out,, ",tie accross from each other" good lu ck

Thanks - I wouldn't have thought of that - Jeff

DollaBill
11-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Place one at each corner square with the transom first. Then I would move the 2 others further aft. Right where the cabin bulkhead is (normally right at the base of the winshield. As someone said, cross tie them with sufficient lines 4 ways. as soon as the trailer is free place one set of blocks directly under the engines. Then run a set up to curve of the bow about every 4-6 feet. Just take your time.

old377guy
11-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks Mark, Daredevil, Racedad and Bill;I really appreciate the input. I was planning to let the boat down onto appropriate keel and strake support areas. You just can't beat this forum. - Jeff

Offshore Ginger
11-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey Old377guy ,just like Dollabill said take your time and you really want to keep everything pretty much on a straight surface ( chime ) when lifting the boat a little curve is allright but not to much .

cigdaze
11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Always place your yardarms at bulkheads. Never put them between bulkheads or else you run the risk of permanent warpage.

MOBILEMERCMAN
11-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Those yard arms are bad as$. I wish I had a set. Each jack is rated at 10,000 lbs or more. They will not move on level ground. No need to tie them together. Are the engines still in the boat? If not your placement is good. If so like others have said I too think the forward set should be moved back to the bulkhead at the base of the windshield. Use them to remove from trailer. Set the boat on conventional jack stands or blocks for the duration. Don't leave it on the jacks.

I don't think the wood on the pads is a good idea.

imco offshore
11-30-2009, 09:50 PM
jim have you ever seen one of those pop out???? i have,,,results???not good

DollaBill
11-30-2009, 09:54 PM
I agree the wood on the jacks scares me. Frankly, the jacks scare me. Never liked using them. But you gota do what you gota do....

DAREDEVIL
11-30-2009, 09:58 PM
jim have you ever seen one of those pop out???? i have,,,results???not good

George ,,they can only pop out if not used properly !!!!!!!

imco offshore
11-30-2009, 10:03 PM
trust me i have seen them pop out!!! tieing them together doesn,t cost nothing! do it!

cigdaze
11-30-2009, 10:07 PM
And yes they will and do pop-out. I've seen the results. Not pretty. On a typical hull like ours, with sufficient deadrise, there's more force outwards than down in certain situations. Don't take chances. Chain them together.

imco offshore
11-30-2009, 10:13 PM
thanks cig!!

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-01-2009, 12:09 AM
I suppose anything is possible if not used properly. I have not seen it happen. I have used them on countless boats. Always with 2 people. Always jacked them up and down evenly. Always used the pads never wood. Always positioned them on a flat surfaces. Never used them while working on the boat only to remove and return to trailer.

They are not work stands. The boat should never sit on them long enough to chain them together. As soon as the trailer is clear the boat should be set on blocks and/or stands. Nobody should ever get in the boat while it is on the jacks.

DAREDEVIL
12-01-2009, 12:11 AM
I suppose anything is possible if not used properly. I have not seen it happen. I have used them on countless boats. Always with 2 people. Always jacked them up and down evenly. Always used the pads never wood. Always positioned them on a flat surfaces. Never used them while working on the boat only to remove and return to trailer.

:iagree:

old377guy
12-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Again, thanks for all of the input guys. The engines are in the boat, the boat is being lifted from dead level and flat surfaces, nonethless I will chain the the yardarms together. The 4x4 blocks are there because I need a bit more lift than provided by the yardarms. I too am not crazy about the idea of putting a block on the lip of the yardarm but they will be fastened to the lip. The blocks are 2' long and do add a bit of conformability to the lift and spread out the pressure. I'm not entertaining ideas of crawling on, in or under the boat before I set it down onto blocks. I will move the units back toward the bulkhead a little, but damn, that seems like a lot of unsupported bow sticking out there. - Jeff

Sea-Dated
12-01-2009, 02:49 PM
The amount of bow sticking out is not an issue. On my lift, the last support is right under the dash area and the bow sticks out unsupported after that with no issues....

Wobble
12-01-2009, 03:11 PM

+1 very important

DollaBill
12-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Again, thanks for all of the input guys. The engines are in the boat, the boat is being lifted from dead level and flat surfaces, nonethless I will chain the the yardarms together. The 4x4 blocks are there because I need a bit more lift than provided by the yardarms. I too am not crazy about the idea of putting a block on the lip of the yardarm but they will be fastened to the lip. The blocks are 2' long and do add a bit of conformability to the lift and spread out the pressure. I'm not entertaining ideas of crawling on, in or under the boat before I set it down onto blocks. I will move the units back toward the bulkhead a little, but damn, that seems like a lot of unsupported bow sticking out there. - Jeff

it may seem like a lot of bow out there but the weight (balance) drops off like a rock forward of the bulkhead. All the weight is between the transom and that bulkhead (with a perf boat of course)

old377guy
12-01-2009, 06:00 PM
it may seem like a lot of bow out there but the weight (balance) drops off like a rock forward of the bulkhead. All the weight is between the transom and that bulkhead (with a perf boat of course)

you're right of course Bill, just kinda spooky

DollaBill
12-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Yeah. Handling boats is usually a little spooky depending on how you do it. I used to tell lotsof customers to please wait in another area. It's kind of like open heart surgery. You know it has to be done but you don't want to watch it being done to yourself :)

old377guy
12-01-2009, 07:21 PM
:sifone:

FASTERDAD
12-01-2009, 08:33 PM

They are not work stands. The boat should never sit on them long enough to chain them together. As soon as the trailer is clear the boat should be set on blocks and/or stands. Nobody should ever get in the boat while it is on the jacks.

:iagree: Well presented. I'd like to add: Chaining the front stands is asking for trouble I've seen guys getting the chain caught on the trailer, talk about trouble! Also,I admit,you are correct about being safer with out blocks,but this can cause some metal on gel damage were as wood makes some padding and in this case adding to the lift height is sometimes needed. I always use blocks but with extreme caution.:)

MOBILEMERCMAN
12-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Last thought. with a person an either side talk back and forth to keep the boat level side to side.. There is a scale on the jack call out to each other to keep it level.

It is important to keep the boat level side to side. Keep fore and aft reasonably close and keep the bow slightly higher at all times.

old377guy
12-01-2009, 09:05 PM
:iagree: Well presented. I'd like to add: Chaining the front stands is asking for trouble I've seen guys getting the chain caught on the trailer, talk about trouble! Also,I admit,you are correct about being safer with out blocks,but this can cause some metal on gel damage were as wood makes some padding and in this case adding to the lift height is sometimes needed. I always use blocks but with extreme caution.:)

thanks fasterdad, I need the clearance and want a broader lift area

old377guy
12-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Last thought. with a person an either side talk back and forth to keep the boat level side to side.. There is a scale on the jack call out to each other to keep it level.

It is important to keep the boat level side to side. Keep fore and aft reasonably close and keep the bow slightly higher at all times.

Thanks Jim, will do

US1Fountain
12-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Used Yard Arms to lift my cruiser off the trailer a few weeks ago. Kinda freaky seeing it suspended in air till I lowered it down oto keel blocks and jack stands. Solid as a rock now. Those Yard Arms are sweet!

dd24skater
12-03-2009, 12:44 PM
I lifted a 47 fountian with 4 yardarms, does look spooky with the bow sticking way out there unsupported. Get it back on something asap

OCM
01-07-2010, 12:23 PM
I glad they worked out for you.
Tim
oregoncustommaerine.com

glh
01-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Just do a better job than these guys...

qZHH8pSfKb8

old377guy
01-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I glad they worked out for you.
Tim
oregoncustommaerine.com

Thanks again, Tim. You rock. For you guys who don't know Tim and his wife Ruby here's a quick intro. They are the point people here in the northwest for high performance offshore. They set up and run the annual poker run, keep the offshore energy burning in this remote outpost and are always willing to help an offshore brother or sister out with just about anything. They are a charismatic couple that exude positive attitude, honesty, professionalism and passion for the sport. Check them (Oregon Custom Marine) out at the Seattle Boat Show and the Portland Show. Jeff

MOBILEMERCMAN
01-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Welcome Tim, It is great to have you.

Enjoy the site.

OCM
01-07-2010, 08:05 PM
THANK YOU GUYS! This looks like a great site.
TIM
oregoncustommarine.com

OCM
01-07-2010, 08:08 PM
This is how we really like to lift a boat.
Tim