PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Tool = effed up hand - not pretty

Wobble
11-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Last wed I was putting some spacers under the coil springs of a 95 chevy truck to offset the sag.

I did one side using a loaner tool from a parts house as mine had been stolen a couple of years ago. A friend started doing the other side and I walked over to make sure he had the tool on straight. It looked ok and as he tightened up the coil spring started to turn. I reached in to steady the tool so he could tighten up another inch. Right at that moment the tool failed and my hand was hit by part of the tool and possibly the tie rod as it moved back down.

The result was two fingers with compound breaks and cut tendons, one with only one break. Two plates and some pins, over 120 stitches and a trashed wedding ring.

Moral for me, When using tools in high energy situations, buy your own quality tool. I have done this type of job dozens of times on road cars and race cars.

It's expected that all my fingers will work and have the majority of the movement. 6-8 weeks for the tendons and bones then another operation to remove the plates and rehab.

The tool in the red box is like the one I used, the flat plate slipped off the bolt and came out through the side of the spring. The one with the four hooks is the kind I prefer.

I am not feeling sorry for myself, I actually feel very lucky given the potential result. Also there was a good plastic surgeon available at short notice.

MarylandMark
11-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Holy Sh1t!!!

DollaBill
11-27-2009, 05:43 PM
sorry to hear this bro. Hope everything heals the right way.

Chris
11-27-2009, 06:17 PM
I did that once on a garage door spring. Believe me when I tell you I feel your pain.

MacGyver
11-27-2009, 06:46 PM
DAMN!! Hope you heal quickly and completely.

Sea-Dated
11-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Hoping a speedy recovery and glad it wasn't worse......

Wobble
11-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys, didn't need to take any pain pills and was very relieved to find out that I could still have a crown of two with the anti-biotic

Steve 1
11-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Dude I am glad you are going to be ok in the long run ,Speedy recovery and My Best Regards.

imco offshore
11-27-2009, 07:43 PM
sorry to here that ,,but your right, DON,T BUY CHEEP TOOLS for that type of job.. i had a friend use that exact tool and job,, the tool failed the spring sprung out of the tool and hit him in the forhead and he died in my arms in 2 minutes.

Let 'Er Rip Cig
11-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Are all the cuts from the accident or are some incisions?

Expensive Date
11-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Wish you a fast recovery,This is why I will only sell certain strut compressors like Branick or otc.The internal one in the right picture looks like a KD but be careful they will not work on some of the newer thicker springs.The one that failed was that an ATD or Astro?

open72
11-27-2009, 08:15 PM
dam , sorry to see that ..that has got to hurt..best to you in recovery and keep that clean!

DAREDEVIL
11-27-2009, 08:19 PM
WOOOUUW , hope its going to be all good. I guess that really was a time for an other drink then.

Wobble
11-27-2009, 08:28 PM
sorry to here that ,,but your right, DON,T BUY CHEEP TOOLS for that type of job.. i had a friend use that exact tool and job,, the tool failed the spring sprung out of the tool and hit him in the forhead and he died in my arms in 2 minutes.

I am sorry for your loss, I can not begin to imagine what it was like to lose a friend in such a manner.

I was well aware of the danger generally speaking and had just got done explaining how important it was to have the tool exactly square inside the spring at all times.

I hadn't seen the tool with the plate before and didn't fully appreciate the potential.

I chose not to separate the knuckle from the a arm as there was so much preload and also I wanted the spring contained.

Wobble
11-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Are all the cuts from the accident or are some incisions?

the cuts across the first joints on the first two fingers and strangely a deep one between the first and second were the original damage. I had to pull on the end of my first finger to get the bone back inside so I could wrap my hand for the drive to the emergency room.

The rest of it is from the reconstruction.

Perlmudder
11-27-2009, 08:42 PM
yikes! glad you are alright!

MacGyver
11-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Product failure? I'd be making a few phone calls.

Wobble
11-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Product failure? I'd be making a few phone calls.

The tool didn't break as such, it was a loaner from a parts house. I did let them know that they would be better off if they upgraded.

As far as liability goes. I consider it to be my fault.

MacGyver
11-27-2009, 09:39 PM
The tool didn't break as such, it was a loaner from a parts house. I did let them know that they would be better off if they upgraded.

Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully they upgrade and nothing like this ever happens again.

runninhotracing
11-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery Bro

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Expensive Date
11-27-2009, 10:19 PM
From someone who has been in the too business a long time you might want to reconsider that it is your fault.There is a lot of junk that should not be on the market.Get me the tool make and model # I will do some research.

Wobble
11-27-2009, 10:43 PM
From someone who has been in the too business a long time you might want to reconsider that it is your fault.There is a lot of junk that should not be on the market.Get me the tool make and model # I will do some research.

It looked just like the one in the red case but came in a black case from o'reillys.

When I say it was my fault, it is because I had misgivings about the design and went ahead and used it anyway.

MacGyver
11-27-2009, 10:55 PM
It looked just like the one in the red case but came in a black case from o'reillys.

When I say it was my fault, it is because I had misgivings about the design and went ahead and used it anyway.

But if you were using the tool properly and it failed, with serious injuries, you might have a case. I'm not crying ambulance chaser here, but your hands are phucked up. I can't imagine the recovery process your about to face.

Expensive Date
11-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Get a lawyer, your 100gs min if no permanent damage more if.

03darkshadow
11-27-2009, 11:23 PM
that sucks bro man, that had to scare the crap out of you and hurt. get better quick. :cheers2:

Tony
11-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Wobble, I hope you have a full and speedy recovery. Ive been there.

Buoy
11-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Damn!

Wishing you the best on a speedy recovery.
That's gonna make for some awesome scars though:sifone:
You know, chicks dig scars.

Seriously, sorry to hear it, and looks gruesome - not sure how you're even managing to type on here.
Hope they get you back to full functioning.
I've lost some function in my hands over the years due to work injuries, and it does hold you back.
Hope the pain subsides and all gets back to OEM on your hand.

phragle
11-28-2009, 02:01 AM
Ouch!!!!

gerritm
11-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Mark, I hope everything heals and you have a speedy recovery. Make sure you stay well medicated.

Airpacker
11-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Being in the auto service business for 30 yrs, I will say that compressed coil springs are by far the scariest thing I know. Potential energy that wants to reach out and hurt you badly.

Heck, I even chain the suckers to my bench mounted spring compressor before squeezing them and binding them with steel clamps.

It is definately one job I do not like doing.

Hope all heals well. keep it clean, dry and pain relieved because I suspect today and tomorrow are really gonna hurt.

yesrej
11-28-2009, 11:43 AM
wow. that is some scary stuff. hope you get well soon.

Indy
11-28-2009, 12:22 PM

Most of the people in this litigious nation would think otherwise as would a bottom feeding attorney.

I think like you, generally there is something that could have been done differently to alter the outcome of the event, most of the time it's within our abilities to take the proper precautions. Unfortunately our judicial system has run amok and this is not the case anymore.

jmoore32fever
11-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Ouch..... I cut 2 of my tendons in my index & middle fingers playin basketball on the rim/backboard straight to the bone, still to this day I don't excatly know what I hit. But make sure to stick with therapy on those to get full movement back.... They seem very optimistic on full recorvery time & I can tell you arthritis sets in very fast I did it when I was around 20, 25 now let's just say I can predict Pretty good when it's gonna rain or snow by those fingers aching.... Good luck on recovery bro

Audiofn
11-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Dude that picture made me hurt!!

Hope you get a full recovery.

cuda
11-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Most of the people in this litigious nation would think otherwise as would a bottom feeding attorney.

I think like you, generally there is something that could have been done differently to alter the outcome of the event, most of the time it's within our abilities to take the proper precautions. Unfortunately our judicial system has run amok and this is not the case anymore.

Agreed.

Expensive Date
11-28-2009, 05:27 PM

Not trying to start a fight here but....I recently recalled a tool, I had sold 34 of them.It was a tool to remove the spark plugs on the new Ford 3 valve triton motor.Long story short I had 3 Break off in the head causing a worse problem than the tech started with.The reason they broke was some of the early shafts were to hard (brittle) and had an alignment hole drilled to far into the shaft.I broke a few intentionally and I was shocked how easy they broke.The company that made them knows this but they say they have no way to track which ones had the early shaft.So they are taking no action.I agree that we as a country are sue happy but you also have to be held accountable for your actions.When you knowingly sell a product that is defective you should be responsible for any injury's.

Indy
11-28-2009, 05:57 PM
I agree that we as a country are sue happy but you also have to be held accountable for your actions.When you knowingly sell a product that is defective you should be responsible for any injury's.

Agree...My comments weren't meant to absolve product makers, but it seems that things have become skewed.

jwurl
11-28-2009, 10:24 PM
I had a Snap-On spring compressor break on me one time also. It is best to use a jack and the weight of the truck to get those springs in and out. They can be a pain. Jeff Wurl

Tom A.
11-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Fast recovery bro!
That sucks!
Glad you seem to be in good spirits about it!

Scarab KV
11-29-2009, 06:12 AM
WOW!! Hope you have a complete recovery.
Springs scare the chit out of me. A friend was helping me compress one on my Chevelle when it sprung out of the clamps. Ricocheted off the shop floor between our heads leaving a nasty gouge in the concrete. We were very lucky.

inbetween
11-29-2009, 12:37 PM
I also had that style spring compressor fail. A rented one too. The center bolt threads were worn (didn't pay enough attention before starting) and they failed under load. I was lucky, only 1/2 dozen or so stitches, no broken bones or tendons. The only signs left are a permanently split fingernail (2 separate nails on one finger) and a small scar.

I hope you recovery goes well. Today's medical technology is amazing.

sledge
11-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Wearing gloves? If so what kind, if not would they have helped?

Best thoughts for a speedy heal...

BY U BOY
11-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Damn bro, that sucks. Hope everything heals quick.

imco offshore
11-29-2009, 07:35 PM

now that you let them see the what happened, it,s called putting them on notice, and now they ARE responsable.,,if it happens again?

txriverrat2001
11-29-2009, 07:37 PM
No wonder I haven't seen ya - damn son - hope you get to feeling better!!!!

imco offshore
11-29-2009, 07:39 PM

please delete all your post,,, now!!! and don,t print or say any more about your opinion,, please trust me !!! as a matter of fact delete this thread,,, good luck??

Wobble
11-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Damn bro, that sucks. Hope everything heals quick.

Where the hell have you been Patrick, you were one of the notable up and coming post whores, rarely see you online anymore. Hope everythings good

Wobble
11-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. Couldnt find anything that I could do today so I went and did some easy wheeling in my 4x4 Blazer, could use some help washing it though:cheers2:

rschap1
11-30-2009, 09:48 AM
OUCH!!
Sorry to hear this. Recover quick like!

MattBMiller
11-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Damn, that looks painful. Could have been much worse though. Best of luck with the recovery. Never use cheap tools.

DollaBill
11-30-2009, 08:31 PM
I also had that style spring compressor fail. A rented one too. The center bolt threads were worn (didn't pay enough attention before starting) and they failed under load. I was lucky, only 1/2 dozen or so stitches, no broken bones or tendons. The only signs left are a permanently split fingernail (2 separate nails on one finger) and a small scar.

I hope you recovery goes well. Today's medical technology is amazing.

that would have serious ramifications on my manicures. Just sayin

BUIZILLA
11-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Wobble... listen to E D... I had a jet APU fall on my left hand in Dec 77 from about 10' above me due to a defective hoist hook... result? 9 compound fractures of my left hand top bone area, my watch winder knob was imbedded in my wrist bone, 2 severed tendons, and a hole in the middle of my hand I could see through.. I had an ace surgeon that spent all night putting it back together, plates and multiple screws, 3 operations,,, instead of recommended amputation... 3 years of daily INTENSIVE therapy... I went after Lloyds of London in an uphill battle, and won, 6 figures 32 years ago... please don't assume it was your fault, it wasn't, you didn't make the tool that was sold/marketed to do a specific function and caused you serious injury. I'm totally against frivolous suits but yours is a justified comfort compensation. 5 years from now you'll be damn glad you did. 10 years from now you'll be bitter that you didn't...

Seltzer
12-01-2009, 04:15 PM
mother f that hurts to see

Wrinkleface
12-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery Bro

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:iagree::iagree:

dykstra
12-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Wobble, how is the hand healing? Hope all is well!! Dave

Wobble
12-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Wobble, how is the hand healing? Hope all is well!! Dave

Stitches out today. wasn't too bad except the fifteen between the first and second fingers. I have no idea how he put those in there:eek:

Also did xrays of the hand which I should get in a few days. First and second fingers nice and straight with plates and screws. Little finger still looks crooked.

The hand is fairly comfortable as long as I don't let it hang too long.

rehab starts in 3-4 weeks depending on the x-rays, honestly, I cant wait:cheers2:

Ms PatriYacht
12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
wow I just saw this thread for the first time, I hope your recovery continues to goe well and you wind up with a cute hand therapist:D

RichL
12-08-2009, 02:46 PM
wow I just saw this thread for the first time, I hope your recovery continues to goe well and you wind up with a cute hand therapist:D

+1

Good luck with the recovery.

MarylandMark
12-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Can you jerk off again yet? Not that I care...

J/K- how ya feeling?

Ratickle
12-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Damn, that suxs.....

Wobble
12-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Got some x-rays today and hope to get the pins pulled tomorrow. I can not wait to start rehab. I cant move any of my fingers more than an inch.

I installed a carbon look dash in my golfcart Sunday. Should have been a one hour job with the wiring done. Took me six hours and only the key switch connected. Still I was happy with that small achievement. At least my backs getting plenty of exercise picking up things that I drop:cheers2:

Scarab KV
12-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Look'n much better Mark

Wobble
12-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Look'n much better Mark

It does, thanks, I had to bandage my own hand this morning so thats why it looks so amateur. When I blow up the picture I see 11 screws.

Scarab KV
12-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Are the docs expecting full recovery?

Wobble
12-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Are the docs expecting full recovery?

I dont see the Doc again until tomorrow, but everybody I run into that has suffered severe finger injuries tell me that my results will largely depend on how well I stick with the program and how determined I am to get results.

Given that I am "one hard headed SOB" according to my wife I am hopeful of getting 80-90% back:rolleyes:

Scarab KV
12-30-2009, 03:07 PM
I dont see the Doc again until tomorrow, but everybody I run into that has suffered severe finger injuries tell me that my results will largely depend on how well I stick with the program and how determined I am to get results.

Given that I am "one hard headed SOB" according to my wife I am hopeful of getting 80-90% back:rolleyes:

That's what I've heard.....about rehab.:sifone:
Hell go for 110%. That way if you slack off a little, you're good to go.
Best of luck with the rehab.

Wobble
12-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Saw the Doc this morning, he says all the bones are looking good. The tendons need another 3-4 weeks, so it's limited exercises for now.

I did get the pins pulled, one had receded so he had to cut down to it, that earned me another two stiches.

Also on the plus side I only have to wear my full hand brace for sleeping and driving. :party:

Happy New Years:cheers2:

cuda
12-31-2009, 06:03 PM
They said if I didn't have a pin put in my finger that I crushed when I was 18, it would never bend again. I've got news for them, it still doesn't bend.

MarylandMark
02-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Update? Seems like you haven't had any problem typing lately! LOL!

Wobble
02-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Update? Seems like you haven't had any problem typing lately! LOL!

Thanks for asking. It is doing well, but the physical therapy is brutal.

Each time I go, she bends the fingers a little further to re-stretch the tendons. Takes most of her strength and all of my resolve to not say uncle.

Hand is a bit swollen in picture due to therapy, but I have 27lbs grip in the left hand compared to 130 in the right. First therapy I pulled two lbs with left hand.

Doc say it's going to take better part of a year. Biggest problem is that brain thinks hand can do things it cant yet.

Can hold beer or cocktail reliably so I am very encouraged:cheers2:

First picture shows about my present progress. Waterproof cell phones dont take very good pics.

txriverrat2001
02-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Glad to see you're doing better!!! We'll probably be out in the boat Sunday if it's not raining - you gonna be aorund?

Wobble
02-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Glad to see you're doing better!!! We'll probably be out in the boat Sunday if it's not raining - you gonna be aorund?

I dont have an enclosure so I'll be 4 wheeling until the temp hits at least 75-80* and sunny.

59* and partly cloudy isnt going to get me on the water:cheers2:

Geronimo36
02-26-2010, 01:42 PM

I hear ya....

Not really the same but when I was at the marina, one of the yard guys was disassembling a 10k lb boat lift.... When he started disassembling he didn't think to take down the steel guide poles so when he unbolted BOTH bunks one of the I-beams fell over. On its way down the steel pole hit him on the back of the head and knocked him unconscious into the water..

Luckily, Eddie, one of the mechanics was nearby and heard the splash... The guy was unconscious and drowning.. Eddie was able to pull him out, at this point a bunch of other people were running over. I was working on a boat on the other side of the marina and saw the marine police running full-speed into the marina.. Eddie started CPR until the police arrived.. By the time he got him on the dock, he was resuscitated and after about 6 months he made a full recovery.

The guy wound up suing the marina, saying he was forced to work on a piece of equipment he knew nothing about (BS) even though it was common sense. Long story short, he wound up winning.....

I'll never forget seeing him on the ground and Eddie giving CPR... Seabright police gave Eddie an award and there was a big ceremony for him and the other officers..

Geronimo36
02-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for asking. It is doing well, but the physical therapy is brutal.

Each time I go, she bends the fingers a little further to re-stretch the tendons. Takes most of her strength and all of my resolve to not say uncle.

Hand is a bit swollen in picture due to therapy, but I have 27lbs grip in the left hand compared to 130 in the right. First therapy I pulled two lbs with left hand.

Doc say it's going to take better part of a year. Biggest problem is that brain thinks hand can do things it cant yet.

Can hold beer or cocktail reliably so I am very encouraged:cheers2:

First picture shows about my present progress. Waterproof cell phones dont take very good pics.

Gald to see you're getting better, those pics looked nasty!:ack2:

Scarab KV
02-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Good to see it coming along Mark.

MarylandMark
02-27-2010, 12:28 PM
but the physical therapy is brutal.

I've felt your pain before and it sucks!! I flipped my 4 ATV over a few years ago and stuck my hand out to catch myself. My arm bone shot through my wrist instead. They put an "I" beam in to hold every thing back together, then stuffed it all back in and sewed me up.

12 weeks of not moving it at all, therapy started to get the movement back. OUCH!!! The good thing is she was busty and would put my hand right up in the mix to stretch it out. 1st trip I was laying around the house in sweats and went to therapy- wonder if she is still wondering why I sat there for 20 minutes after my session was over because I didn't want to stand up and poke her eye out...

jmoore32fever
02-27-2010, 03:42 PM
I cut my right index finger open to the bone, slicing my tendon playin basketball & hitting somethin on the backboard @ my old highschool still to this day don't know what did it? Any how took over a year for me to get 90% function back, still is only about 90% several years later..... One thing I do know is it sure hurts like hell & tightens up when it's cold out!

Good to see it's goin well wobble stick with the therapy....

Tom A.
02-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Glad to hear you are doing well keep up the good work!

CRC
02-27-2010, 05:56 PM
That's really bad. Best wishes for your recovery.

Wobble
03-01-2010, 04:29 PM
I've felt your pain before and it sucks!! I flipped my 4 ATV over a few years ago and stuck my hand out to catch myself. My arm bone shot through my wrist instead. They put an "I" beam in to hold every thing back together, then stuffed it all back in and sewed me up....

Holy crap that had to hurt:eek:

Wrinkleface
03-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Good to see it coming along Mark.

:iagree::iagree: cont'd recovery!:seeya: