PDA

View Full Version : Miss GEICO Speed Video

Maximus
11-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Someone sent this to us. Pretty Cool Video. Shows some our speed runs in and out of the harbor.... while the racing lasted. I know it's hard to judge but our runs around the mole (dog leg) ranged from 155-165 and runs out the long leg 155-175. The camera seems to slow things down from how they appear from the cockpit, she performed well in open water running and dealing with multiple V bottom wakes. The Miss GEICO Racing Crew (Scott N, Dan V, Ricky Bobby,Carlos and Gary) performed like the pro's they are and Whispering Turbines were tremendous as usual. Big thank you to Matt at TNT Surface Drives for all their help in getting our gearboxes set up on short notice.

Great seeing everyone in KW and Thank you for all your support through the 2009 season.

-36bZwoFQkw

stainless
11-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Very Cool!

Wild
11-23-2009, 02:11 PM
nice

LaughingCat
11-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Very cool. The end of this video shows why we MUST get more Turbine Extreme boats to compete. Did you see how Miss Geico walked, better yet RAN, past those other raceboats. It is exciting and the crowds eat this up. I mean no disrespect to the longstanding tradition of racing piston engines when I say this, but the future of offshore racing and the growth of our fan base is focused around turbines.

masher44
11-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Wow

MarylandMark
11-23-2009, 06:12 PM
I mean no disrespect to the longstanding tradition of racing piston engines when I say this, but the future of offshore racing and the growth of our fan base is focused around turbines.

As awesome as the turbine boats are there is just some thing about the sound piston engines that gets people roared up.

I couldn't hear for 10 seconds after Dave Scott ran by in KW 2008. V10's in the Fountain- awesome!

I take nothing away from the turbines, the wow factor, the speeds, etc but noise helps put in perspective what's really going on out there vs just wooosh and they are gone.

Wrinkleface
11-23-2009, 06:15 PM
very cool, love that sound!!!:driving:

LaughingCat
11-23-2009, 09:36 PM
As awesome as the turbine boats are there is just some thing about the sound piston engines that gets people roared up.

I cannot argue with you on that. As a boy, i used to lay backwards on the sunpad while running just basking in the sweet sound of roaring V8's. But those turbine speeds are insane.

In football, it has been long said that offense sells tickets, but defense wins Superbowls. In boating, roaring pistons attract the regular fans, turbine speeds will bring the newer crowds.
(I made this up and have no proof.) :rofl:

SHARKEY-IMAGES
11-23-2009, 10:28 PM
On the still side of things, this made for a great photo op ! :sifone:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p952547972-4.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p601744168-4.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v8/p630828105-4.jpg

SHARKEY-IMAGES
11-23-2009, 10:29 PM
As did this one ! :sifone:

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p729580131-4.jpg

Maximus
11-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Incredible pics Sharkey!!

Part 2

qhUwP-Pmpg4

Part 3

UogTA9c-p2k

Big Time
11-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Great footage. I like it when the lady in the background tells you to be careful....lol.

dykstra
11-24-2009, 10:20 PM
sweeeeeeeet!

boostbros
11-25-2009, 09:27 AM
the more hp a turbine produces the quieter it gets as it forces all the compressed air thru the engine the real problem you guys face is its boring you might as well remote control them i would not get on a plane to go watch a turbine only race !i attend races to feel the noise there is no other sound in boat racing like the big blown piston boats screaming into the harbor it really makes the hair on the neck stand up....a point here how many would attend a top fuel nitro race if all the cars were eletric or turbine? we all love the speed and flash of the blow torch class ,and maybe it helps the sport by making us enjoy the piston boats with even more respect and awe there thats my 2 cents

Maximus
11-25-2009, 02:04 PM
the more hp a turbine produces the quieter it gets as it forces all the compressed air thru the engine the real problem you guys face is its boring you might as well remote control them i would not get on a plane to go watch a turbine only race !i attend races to feel the noise there is no other sound in boat racing like the big blown piston boats screaming into the harbor it really makes the hair on the neck stand up....a point here how many would attend a top fuel nitro race if all the cars were eletric or turbine? we all love the speed and flash of the blow torch class ,and maybe it helps the sport by making us enjoy the piston boats with even more respect and awe there thats my 2 cents

You respect sound , I respect performance, reliability and skill.

I'm fortunate to race on the same course with the fastest piston boats in the world and I love the way they sound too.

Big Time
11-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Each class has there own draw for the crowd. Geico, JBS and Aquamania all put on a great show. And you can't argue with the #'s....Geico had the fastest boat in Key West.

Anyway, great video and congrats to the Geico team for their win in Key West!

Sean H
11-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Each class has there own draw for the crowd. Geico, JBS and Aquamania all put on a great show. And you can't argue with the #'s....Geico had the fastest boat in Key West.

Anyway, great video and congrats to the Geico team for their win in Key West!

actually cms was turning faster laps sunday (the fastest of the week), but geico wasn't racing anybody so I would assume they had some left in the boat.

Big Time
11-25-2009, 03:21 PM
actually cms was turning faster laps sunday (the fastest of the week), but geico wasn't racing anybody so I would assume they had some left in the boat.

They might have been, but Geico had the fast avg speed over the race week. And true, I don't imagine Geico was running as hard as they could have on Sunday.

Anyways, I think we kind of got off topic from the video..... :smash:

Maximus
11-26-2009, 12:45 PM

Sean , we would have lapped them by the 5th lap if we were pushing. We had a broken power steering pump and no competition.

And we came home with a healthy boat and no big bills for our team

smart running

Chris
11-26-2009, 01:20 PM

You obviously haven't seen the boat blazing into Key West harbor a couple miles in front of the piston boats. Or watching it go airborne and seeing the horizon between the water and the boat's bottom. or noticed that the roar following behind it in the turbine woosh is the sound of those huge props blasting the water. I like the big piston boats too, but the show that the turbine boats put on is pure art- and brutality.

MikeyFIN
11-26-2009, 02:27 PM

I couldn't hear for 10 seconds after Dave Scott ran by in KW 2008. V10's in the Fountain- awesome!

I take nothing away from the turbines, the wow factor, the speeds, etc but noise helps put in perspective what's really going on out there vs just wooosh and they are gone.

+1

cum on feel the noize (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW2J_UZ8lQU)...remember, some things just stay good and I have issues even about V10īs.. had that when wrenching a Road Race Viper and Gallardo. A V8 *Thump does the trick always

SHARKEY-IMAGES
11-26-2009, 02:50 PM
One of my favorite sounds :

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/222522/1055337

:cheers2:

jmoore32fever
11-26-2009, 03:23 PM
sharkey amazing picture of geico & aqua mania best picture of key west i've seen!!!

SHARKEY-IMAGES
11-26-2009, 05:54 PM
sharkey amazing picture of geico & aqua mania best picture of key west i've seen!!!

Thank you !!!

Trying to finish up Sunday's Aerial Race Photos now...