PDA

View Full Version : Ford F-250 makes Consumer Reports 10 worst clunker list.....

JupiterSunsation
11-14-2009, 09:26 AM
F-250 but in the picture it shows the F-350.
Along with the Chrysler/Dodge Minivans, GMC/Chevy Canyon, Lincoln MKS, Chrysler Sebring and Mercedes GL 450.

clayinaustin
11-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Yep, I saw that.

Blue Oval
11-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Sounds like they found only unhappy Ford truck people to interview, they must of included the 6.0 in the survey.

JupiterSunsation
11-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Sounds like they found only unhappy Ford truck people to interview, they must of included the 6.0 in the survey.

6.4 hasn't been too great either......

cuda
11-14-2009, 03:44 PM

I had a 6.0 in a 2005 350, and had nary a lick of trouble with it.

I have a 250 with a 5.4 and 265k miles on it now.

Blue Oval
11-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I have sold several 6.0's, several of them with-out any trouble. The gas engines have been flawless. The 6.0's that have had problems were mostly commercial applications. I find it hard to believe that the Super Duties got such a bad rap, the truck chassis is bullet proof, the 6.0 would have to be the root of the problem.

11-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Let's see. Consumer Reports doesn't have an agenda. :icon_bs:

Jupiter Sunsation hates superduty trucks and has a long history of bashing them even though I believe by his own admission has never owned one. Isuzu only for him. :willy_nilly:

Yawn.

WMF
11-14-2009, 05:37 PM
I love my 2008 Ford F-450 Super duty!! The 6.4 is a great motor with little or no problems, and they take well to mods:sifone:. The 6.0 did have problems with head gaskets and head bolts when they were modified!

JupiterSunsation
11-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Let's see. Consumer Reports doesn't have an agenda. :icon_bs:

Jupiter Sunsation hates superduty trucks and has a long history of bashing them even though I believe by his own admission has never owned one. Isuzu only for him. :willy_nilly:

Yawn.

No you got me wrong there.....an F650 with Cat power is ok! :D

I don't really like trucks, if I didn't need one for work/towing boats I wouldn't own one. Had 10 GMC's in 20 years, still own 4, including my daily driver which is a Duramax.

I think the Fords have better interiors by a mile especially when you get in the King Ranch/Eddie Bauer levels. Don't really value the Consumer Reports opinion much either, just saw the story on Forbes.com so I posted it here to stir the pot!

MacGyver
11-14-2009, 06:50 PM
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-stirthepot.gif :reddevil:

THEJOKER
11-14-2009, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't trade my 2000 F-350 7.3 for 10 Chevy's!

11-14-2009, 07:30 PM

I don't really like trucks, if I didn't need one for work/towing boats I wouldn't own one. Had 10 GMC's in 20 years, still own 4, including my daily driver which is a Duramax.

I think the Fords have better interiors by a mile especially when you get in the King Ranch/Eddie Bauer levels. Don't really value the Consumer Reports opinion much either, just saw the story on Forbes.com so I posted it here to stir the pot!

Well, Ok, If I have you wrong. I just thought you bunched Fords in with Cigarette. :)

Is a F-650 a SuperDuty or a commercial medium duty truck?

Where do I think the Fords have the advantage? Suspension and frame, both in durability and versatility, Solid DANA 60 front axle, (I only run 4x4s). The trannies hold up well to big horsepower. Body sheetmetal is beefy. Oh, and anecdotally speaking, my 6.0, with an edge tuner, has held up perfectly for almost 5 years of hard use.:USA:

cuda
11-14-2009, 07:37 PM
If you don't think the Super Duty Fords aren't heavily made, you've never dropped the tailgate on one. They weigh a ton.

I was looking for a new diesel in 2003, but I found a great deal on a 2002 7.3 with 8k miles. I didn't want to buy the first year an engine is introduced, so I gave them a couple years to get the bugs out. I'm glad I did, a buddy of mine bought a 2003 6.0, and has had nothing but trouble.

JupiterSunsation
11-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Well, Ok, If I have you wrong. I just thought you bunched Fords in with Cigarette. :)

Is a F-650 a SuperDuty or a commercial medium duty truck?

Where do I think the Fords have the advantage? Suspension and frame, both in durability and versatility, Solid DANA 60 front axle, (I only run 4x4s). The trannies hold up well to big horsepower. Body sheetmetal is beefy. Oh, and anecdotally speaking, my 6.0, with an edge tuner, has held up perfectly for almost 5 years of hard use.:USA:

You and I are the reason Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors.....:D

F650 is not a Superduty by any means.....but there is a reason they use an Allison transmission on the Cat power.....because it is what GM uses!

Cigs are great just keep scratching my head at how they can double the price on the same boat they have been making for 10 years (20 years if you don't count the twin step). A 46 RR with big power is legendary in my eyes, like a 47 Apache! But the sh!tter box in the cabin strokes me out when every other builder has found the way to enclose the head though!

Tommy Gun
11-15-2009, 01:00 AM
But the sh!tter box in the cabin strokes me out when every other builder has found the way to enclose the head though!

Hijack...I had a Donzi 38ZR w/encl head; now the 39 Cig. In the Cig I left out the bed and have a zip curtain with the head beyond along with 4 storage bins. Thus you have an enclosed head and a place to put luggage to keep it from bouncing around, and room enough to actually change clothes. The head in the Donzi was so tight I couldn't hardly get in there let alone try to wipe one's azz...just a waste of fiberglass and extra weight as far as I'm concerned. Interesting thing though...the the head in neither boat was/has ever been used in 4 years.

WeaponX
11-15-2009, 02:57 AM

Wow I think my 09 Dually Duramax has the best interior ever put in a truck. What model do you have?

JupiterSunsation
11-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Wow I think my 09 Dually Duramax has the best interior ever put in a truck. What model do you have?

My 03 is an SLE Crew with buckets and a console..... My wife has an 09 Yukon SLT with buckets/console and it is a lot nicer. The Ford takes the bling to the next level in their higher end trucks, whereas GM just adds fake woodgrain over their plastic parts. The Ford leather wears much better though I am hoping the newer GM stuff does better than the previous models.

JupiterSunsation
11-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Hijack...I had a Donzi 38ZR w/encl head; now the 39 Cig. In the Cig I left out the bed and have a zip curtain with the head beyond along with 4 storage bins. Thus you have an enclosed head and a place to put luggage to keep it from bouncing around, and room enough to actually change clothes. The head in the Donzi was so tight I couldn't hardly get in there let alone try to wipe one's azz...just a waste of fiberglass and extra weight as far as I'm concerned. Interesting thing though...the the head in neither boat was/has ever been used in 4 years.

Nice idea for the new 39, if I built one I would do that for sure.....My biggest complaint is looking at it! It would be like walking through the front door of a house and the bathroom is the first thing you see, like it is the focal point. My boat is 5 years old in Dec and the sh!tter box has never been used. My kids don't even know it is in the boat (in a non-SS Sunsation it is under the steps below the cabin door, remove step, slide porta potty out).

cuda
11-15-2009, 09:53 AM
The Ford leather wears much better though .

The only two times I took my Fords down for warranty work was to replace the leather on the front seat where I always slid in with jeans on.

WeaponX
11-15-2009, 04:06 PM
My 03 is an SLE Crew with buckets and a console..... My wife has an 09 Yukon SLT with buckets/console and it is a lot nicer. The Ford takes the bling to the next level in their higher end trucks, whereas GM just adds fake woodgrain over their plastic parts. The Ford leather wears much better though I am hoping the newer GM stuff does better than the previous models.

The dealer tried to tell me the wood was real.:sifone:

I didn't fall for the banna in the tail pipe.:biggrinjester:

MarylandMark
11-15-2009, 06:26 PM
The only two times I took my Fords down for warranty work was to replace the leather on the front seat where I always slid in with jeans on.

I had a 04 Lariant with the same problem. My 06 King Ranch has much better leather

rainmn
11-15-2009, 09:12 PM

In the 2 years I had my POS Expedition, the driver's side leather was replaced 3 times, and the passenger side twice.

cuda
11-15-2009, 10:24 PM
In the 2 years I had my POS Expedition, the driver's side leather was replaced 3 times, and the passenger side twice.

Ford must have replaced mine with heavier leather than the original. Both were still under warranty, one I put 122,000 miles on, and the other about 80,000 miles on, and they never wore out again. I was in and out of my truck a lot back then.

rschap1
11-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Been a Ford guy since my first 79 Bronco way back when...

Never needed Consumers Reports to do my shopping for me!
Don't like it or trust it. Seems like eggheads with piddley lil' gripes wreck entire reviews all the time there

Magic Medicine
11-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Been a Ford guy since my first 79 Bronco way back when...

Never needed Consumers Reports to do my shopping for me!
Don't like it or trust it. Seems like eggheads with piddley lil' gripes wreck entire reviews all the time there

Agreed on the cosumer reports. I have a 04 F350 with a 6.0 and I really like it.

Looking forward to the new 6.7 L. I would own another 6.0 or a 6.4 anyday. Doesn't hurt that I work for Ford:sifone:

Indy
11-16-2009, 12:16 PM
My '08 F250 10 cylinder FWD is one of the nicest vehicles I've ever owned. Flawless after 35k.

Wobble
11-16-2009, 12:20 PM
My friends 06 with the saddle leather is a disaster. Ford wont help. The steering wheel leather bleeds dye any time it gets even slightly damp and the the seats look like crap, every one has turned different colors.

The owner is extremely particular about his truck and doesn't abuse it at all.

It has been way more reliable than his 04 that Ford had to take back.

VetteLT193
11-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Neither Ford or GM has great leather. that's splitting hairs on which one is better.

I'm surprised at the interior comment though. Between Ford and GM, GM wins hands down for an actual usable interior. Ford looks better until you get your stuff in it. Even outside of the big trucks the same goes... The absolute biggest complaint about my Lincoln Navigator is the usefulness of the interior. Sucks. Looks nice though.

rainmn
11-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Ford must have replaced mine with heavier leather than the original. Both were still under warranty, one I put 122,000 miles on, and the other about 80,000 miles on, and they never wore out again. I was in and out of my truck a lot back then.

Not sure what they changed, but my Expedition was an '04. All the replacements were under warranty, however I always got the "Wow, we've never seen this before" story....even once when there was another person in for service at the same time as me, with the same truck & same problem.

When I got rid of that truck it only had about 30,000 miles on it.

The Excursion I had before it was great - never a complaint with it, which is why I got the Expedition.

RLJ676
11-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Consumer Reports is very suspect in my mind. Their methodology is unknown and survey base certain to be biased against domestics, as the magazine has told them they should be.