PDA

View Full Version : Vizio

clayinaustin
11-12-2009, 10:04 PM
What do the "experts" say about Vizio?

Vizio 55" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11490970&search=vizio&topnav=&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&N=5000043%205000108&whse=BC&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=5000000%204000000&D=vizio&Ntt=vizio&No=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial)

For only $1550, it looks like a good value for the money.

Davidmnc
11-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Not sure about the experts, but I bought a Vizio 42 LCD 3 years ago. And have been very happy with it. You can spend what you want on a TV, but at the end of the day they are disposible any way. Why spend more than you have to.

JupiterSunsation
11-13-2009, 10:35 AM
I have two....no issues they were Costco specials and I am not a A/V Techy guy anyway!

BillR
11-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Don't waste your money!

http://hdguru.com/your-new-disposable-flat-panel-hdtv/107/

Some reviews Jayboat style:

Product Rating: Product Rating: 1.0

Don't buy Vizio 42" plasma
by milliea ,Jul 06 '08
Pros: None now.
Cons: No parts, no service, not worth $1
We had this tv for 2 yrs. and today the half the picture went black and then the whole screen went black. It has volume but that's all. $1499.00! I have found out that Vizio has no service and no parts available so we are screwed. I wouldn't recommend this tv to anyone.
Read more

Product Rating: Product Rating: 3.0
VIZIO LCD TV
by norstarguru ,Dec 26 '07
Pros: Sleek Leaking, Very affordable $900.00 Sams Club.
Cons: Black screen when powering on sometimes.
I have had my Vizio for exactly one year now, The picture is ok, but I have a had a problem with it since about the second month I bought it.. When turning the TV on it will go to a black screen then you have to turn it off, wait for the tuner to make a click noise then turn it back on, I have been very happy with it though, I have it wall mounted with a Sanyo wall mount surround and dvd. I get many compliments on how sharp it looks on the wall.

Product Rating: Product Rating: 1.0
Visio is Junk
by mcneal ,Jul 11 '09
Pros: Low initial price but for a throwaway TV that last one year???
Cons: Cannot get repair or parts. It is a throwaway TV.
After the warranty expired the Viseo started having screwy picture problems. It got so bad, we could no longer use it. The Visio reccommended service company quoted a flat repair rate that is almost what we paid for the TV. Local Television shops said to throw it away because you cannot get parts for it.

The last sentence of the last review is VERY accurate. At last count, our repair shop had over 25 Visios - no parts! That is because you don't know who made the set. One week it may be Toshiba, another week NEC and so on. They buy panels from whoever has the lowest price that week on panels that won't pass quality control. In other words, the factory doesn't throw away panels that have failures. The sell them to Visio and other 3rd tier off name brands.

The price of 1st tier goods has dropped! Do you know how many HOURS you watch a TV? Go get one that is worth watching (yes the pictures vary ALOT) and worth owning. Yeah - you might spend a $100 or $200 more - what is that; 1/2 a tank of gas???
Don't go the cheap route.

MarylandMark
11-13-2009, 11:41 AM
You get what you pay for but IMHO I'd buy it, then replace it in 2 years if it craps out and feel like I got my moneys worth out of it.

Whatever you buy a 2 years from now will be superior than what you buy today; buy values and buy often (2-3 years tops for me).

clayinaustin
11-13-2009, 12:48 PM
You get what you pay for but IMHO I'd buy it, then replace it in 2 years if it craps out and feel like I got my moneys worth out of it.

Whatever you buy a 2 years from now will be superior than what you buy today; buy values and buy often (2-3 years tops for me).

The first "feature" says...

Costco extends manufacture warranty to 2 years

Sounds like a good deal to me. :sifone:

Padraig
11-13-2009, 10:38 PM
I have had a 36 LCD Vizio for about (3) years. Good picture and still running fine.

sellsman11
11-14-2009, 01:01 AM
I have Vizio's 3 bedrooms. All of them have great HD and no problems.

MarylandMark
11-14-2009, 08:46 AM
The first "feature" says...

Costco extends manufacture warranty to 2 years

Sounds like a good deal to me. :sifone:

I was more going from the angle of a "cheap" set vs a "good" set picture quality.

Buy the best set now and cheapest set 2 years from now will have a 10 times better picture. So I say buy the cheap set now, and then replace it with a cheap set in 2 years. Over 10 years you will have 5 different TV's but all but the 1st one will outperform if you bought the best of the best once and kept it 10 years.

Sure- they could last longer than 2 years; Just saying going for the best of the best today will be yesterdays tech tomorrow. 120HZ sets were $2K last year, can be had for $400 this year but 240HZ are $2K this year, wait a year and they will be $400 because XHZ will be out and hot by then.

Audiofn
11-14-2009, 09:17 AM
MM the environment loves you :D

VtSteve
11-14-2009, 10:07 AM
I was more going from the angle of a "cheap" set vs a "good" set picture quality.

Buy the best set now and cheapest set 2 years from now will have a 10 times better picture. So I say buy the cheap set now, and then replace it with a cheap set in 2 years. Over 10 years you will have 5 different TV's but all but the 1st one will outperform if you bought the best of the best once and kept it 10 years.

Sure- they could last longer than 2 years; Just saying going for the best of the best today will be yesterdays tech tomorrow. 120HZ sets were $2K last year, can be had for $400 this year but 240HZ are $2K this year, wait a year and they will be $400 because XHZ will be out and hot by then.

I hate to keep replacing things, especially electronics. Three years ago, I bought a 32" Samsung LCD. At that point, it was the best one I could find, but only 1080i. I have no need now for 1080p, yet. It was one of the most expensive 32' sets around, and had the best specs. For $1300 delivered through Amazon, it was also one of the best bargains at that time.

I've looked at many sets since, including a friend's new Vizio, and another's LG. Between DVD's and HD cable, my set has nothing to apologize for, and it's 3 years old. I intend to have it for a long time in some location or another, probably as a second set.

I also have a small 20" Vizio upstairs in the kids room. It's 1080p, but pretty mediocre overall. It was cheap at Costco.

BillR
11-16-2009, 10:27 AM
I have a Yugo. They are great. They are cheap, get me to work, and get great mileage. Plus, 3 years from now, They will have shock absorbers! So after 3 years, I'll upgrade and will have gotten my moneys worth.

Some of you guys sound like blow boaters - need I say anything more.

rschap1
11-16-2009, 11:41 AM
I am really curious about these also...
I looked at ALOT of lcds this past weekend. Side by side I thought a couple of the best pics I saw were Vizios and they were $100s cheaper.
I am only looking at a 47" but for $700-$800 they seemed to look WAY better than anything else close in price...
I see alot of ravings about how they are a big POS, and you gotta spend more; but seems like everyone writting these types of reviews owns another brand at 3x the cost and just happens to know a horror story. The above link reagrding warranty and reapirs (THANKS for sharing, I appreciate any and all info and opinions when spending my hard earned $$) seems pretty shakey to me. That seems like an excellent example of a buyer needing to beware and do their homework with any purchase. AND there are always store service agreements etc to p/u some type of protection. I understand the Yugo comment and mentality, but I have seen and heard some folks swearing by these "other" brands (Vizio, Olivea, and LOTS more @ TigerDirect.com) After seeing a good number of sets side by side, I gotta wonder why so much hate towards Vizio personally? I have yet to buy and trying to do my homework, but any negatives seem SO JADED and hateful they are hard to respect and give credit to...My .02

THANKS

VetteLT193
11-16-2009, 12:28 PM
I have a Yugo. They are great. They are cheap, get me to work, and get great mileage. Plus, 3 years from now, They will have shock absorbers! So after 3 years, I'll upgrade and will have gotten my moneys worth.

not really. it is more like buying an off brand 525 HP engine instead of a Mercury Racing 525 HP engine. You save a bunch of money so you plan on replacing it in a couple of years. You might have problems with it before hand, but it is under warranty.

so... if it is a TV that is not going to be hung on a wall, I'd go for it. If you are going to hang it, especially up high, buy something you won't have to take down. It's a PITA lifting 50" or more. I have two 50"+ TV's hanging high in the air and don't want to take them down again. ever.

Chris
11-16-2009, 02:22 PM
You can do much better for just a few bucks more. The store demos are stunted so you can't see the true performance of the TV. Ask them to put on a hi-def sporting event and try to watch it.

Five Cent Worth
11-16-2009, 08:46 PM

So what is your brand of choice then? I am in teh process of buying two new LCD's myself.

MarylandMark
11-17-2009, 10:02 AM
I hate to keep replacing things, especially electronics. Three years ago, I bought a 32" Samsung LCD. At that point, it was the best one I could find, but only 1080i. I have no need now for 1080p, yet. It was one of the most expensive 32' sets around, and had the best specs. For $1300 delivered through Amazon, it was also one of the best bargains at that time.

$1300!

$400 3 years ago for 1080I 60HZ
$400 2 years ago for 1080I 60HZ
$400 now for 1080P 120HZ

So 33% of the time, for the same money, you would be watching a better TV and have $100 left in your coffer. Add a few bucks to that for how much more efficient they are as well. Some say 120HZ, 240HZ is a sales pitch- could be- just pointing out it is at least equal if not better than a 3 year old set.

Personal preference- just pointing out another way of looking at it is all.

MarylandMark
11-17-2009, 10:05 AM
So what is your brand of choice then? I am in teh process of buying two new LCD's myself.

I don't care for them.
Best LCD picture I have ever seen is from NuVision! Think I am going to pick that line up.
The full array LG LCD's look GREAT too.

Could have changed and not speaking for BillR whom I respect his knowledge and expertise on; just posting from the past to help pass the knowledge. If you want me to delete; with all means I will.

If I had a media room that would be one thing; some thing hanging over my pantry to catch the news while making a drink is another.

BillR
11-17-2009, 10:26 AM
You can do much better for just a few bucks more. The store demos are stunted so you can't see the true performance of the TV. Ask them to put on a hi-def sporting event and try to watch it.

Ding Ding Ding Ding - we have a winner. The stores make more money on the off brands and the make them look as good as possible - while (generally) the better less profitable sets are made to not look so hot. :willy_nilly:

What would I buy? Good bang for the buck is LG, or a Sony (which is a Samsung, but the menu and repair service is better)

You guys ask for opinion, then when you don't hear what you want, you argue. Do you really want the advice. Go to your local electronics repair and quiz them.

Here is the same question only boat related:
I've heard the Powerquest (i used to have one) 38 is just as good as the Cigarette Top Gun - so what do you guys think?
It is SO much cheaper, I could have 2 or 3 of them for the price of a Cig. I looked at a PQ and I can't tell the difference. Plus my buddy has one and LOVES it. He says PQ are the best. Plus they run the same speed with similar power. . . . . . etc etc?

How many of you are gonna check out a PQ when it is time to buy (just using PQ as example)

BTW: PQ is no longer a factory. Nor is there a Visio factory, nor is there an Olevio, Westinghouse, Dynex, Insignia, Akai, Apex, or Coby factory.

MarylandMark
11-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Good bang for the buck is LG, or a Sony (which is a Samsung, but the menu and repair service is better)

To he honest the Visio I bought was all about size- only 24" I could find or I'd have to drop down to a 20" in another brand.

Just wanted to make sure you know we/I appreciate your advice and taking the time to post. Some of us even follow it! I bought a 40 and a 32 Sony in the last 30 days based on YOUR advice.

MacGyver
11-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Ding Ding Ding Ding - we have a winner. The stores make more money on the off brands and the make them look as good as possible - while (generally) the better less profitable sets are made to not look so hot. :willy_nilly:

What would I buy? Good bang for the buck is LG, or a Sony (which is a Samsung, but the menu and repair service is better)

You guys ask for opinion, then when you don't hear what you want, you argue. Do you really want the advice. Go to your local electronics repair and quiz them.

Here is the same question only boat related:
I've heard the Powerquest (i used to have one) 38 is just as good as the Cigarette Top Gun - so what do you guys think?
It is SO much cheaper, I could have 2 or 3 of them for the price of a Cig. I looked at a PQ and I can't tell the difference. Plus my buddy has one and LOVES it. He says PQ are the best. Plus they run the same speed with similar power. . . . . . etc etc?

How many of you are gonna check out a PQ when it is time to buy (just using PQ as example)

BTW: PQ is no longer a factory. Nor is there a Visio factory, nor is there an Olevio, Westinghouse, Dynex, Insignia, Akai, Apex, or Coby factory.

I love my Powerquest and my Sony 60" :26:

mikes280
11-17-2009, 10:49 PM
ok BillR i am helping my father look for a set he had a 32 picture tube tv , it is junk so i feel he is going to need about a 40 to get the same hight of picture he is used to. Oh and he has bad eyes and the room will have low outside light so very little glare. Can you give my some ideas on what to buy . also i had got him a large remote so he could see it better so he would like to be able to still use it or one like it that is simple to use. Thanks for your help i feel this may be the last one he will need so i want to get one he can see .
Mike

Knot 4 Me
11-18-2009, 11:37 AM
I have Sony and Samsung and both have been trouble free. LG's do have a nice looking picture and are on my short list for my next TV. To date, to my untrained eyes, the best picture I have seen was on a Pioneer plazma. This was in a non-chain store that sells higher-end video equipment.

Tommy Gun
11-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Just heard Wal-Mart to sell 50 inch plasmas on Black Friday for under $600.

clayinaustin
11-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Just heard Wal-Mart to sell 50 inch plasmas on Black Friday for under $600.

You are correct...

Walmart Black Friday Ad (http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12032)

MarylandMark
11-18-2009, 04:07 PM
the best picture I have seen was on a Pioneer plazma.

IIRC that was the one every thing else was compared to

clayinaustin
11-18-2009, 04:14 PM
For those of you who like Samsung, Walmart is selling them cheap next Saturday...

http://i.blackfriday.info/scans/walmart-page-32.jpg

BillR
11-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Although I sell Samsung, I don't care for them at all! But those Walmart Sammy's are a good deal. The Walmart black Friday no-name brand is total crap. That 50" Sanyo is some Chinese garbage. The Sanyo you remember is gone, there is no Sanyo company.

A few years ago, I had these same discussions when Gateway came out with a very low priced 42. It was compelling to save so much money. Probably 98% of those are in land fills, but the folks that bought a good product are still enjoying them. I have customers every week that come in wanting to buy something that works/holds up because they were lured away by cheap pricing and realize "you get exactly what you pay for". Then you could argue that in a year or so you;ll get better technolgy. In the case of plasma (which has the best picture) the technology does change, but 99% of you couldn't see the difference in a 5 year old EDTV plasma and a new 1080p plasma.

Now with LCD, they are still trying to make them work well with moving pictures, so every year and new band aid is applied, unless you buy one with a good processor. There a few TV's with good processors because they cost bux, and the mfg's are trying to race each other prices to the bottom. Mostly what you get is fudging of the so called "new" technology at some new amazing cheaper price.

Remember - I don't have a dog in this hunt. If you want to blow your money, then go for it. But I figure most folks that own a Powerboat don't need to/don't tend to buy cheap anything.

BillR
11-18-2009, 08:24 PM
ok BillR i am helping my father look for a set he had a 32 picture tube tv , it is junk so i feel he is going to need about a 40 to get the same hight of picture he is used to. Oh and he has bad eyes and the room will have low outside light so very little glare. Can you give my some ideas on what to buy . also i had got him a large remote so he could see it better so he would like to be able to still use it or one like it that is simple to use. Thanks for your help i feel this may be the last one he will need so i want to get one he can see .
Mike

A Plasma will have a bright picture and be a good value. Also a FULL ARRAY LED back lit LCD will be bright. The remote will be an issue - the LG remotes have bigger fonts and generally easier for non technical folks to navigate. Maybe the big remote you already got will work an LG?

Look at an LG 42PQ30. It is good bang for the buck and should run about 650-700 bux. The LCD sets will be 2 or 3 times more expensive.

mikes280
11-18-2009, 10:36 PM
A Plasma will have a bright picture and be a good value. Also a FULL ARRAY LED back lit LCD will be bright. The remote will be an issue - the LG remotes have bigger fonts and generally easier for non technical folks to navigate. Maybe the big remote you already got will work an LG?

Look at an LG 42PQ30. It is good bang for the buck and should run about 650-700 bux. The LCD sets will be 2 or 3 times more expensive.Thank you i will look in to this TV, and check to see if the remote can be progamed to work with this one

Tommy Gun
11-19-2009, 12:47 AM
[QUOTE=BillR;368051]A few years ago, I had these same discussions when Gateway came out with a very low priced 42. It was compelling to save so much money. Probably 98% of those are in land fills, but the folks that bought a good product are still enjoying them. QUOTE]

I bought a Gateway for the bedroom...still have it and still works as it did when new except its now in the guestroom. Never had a problem with it. Bought one for the conference room at the office and it crapped out and was replaced under warranty...replacment still working.

jet
11-19-2009, 01:44 AM
I have allways been a tech kind of guy and payed for the best ..........but these are new times and ya never know ..........................so heres my five year old sony ....just out of warenty... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOtIhCKC2f8

BillR
11-19-2009, 10:29 AM
I have allways been a tech kind of guy and payed for the best ..........but these are new times and ya never know ..........................so heres my five year old sony ....just out of warenty... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOtIhCKC2f8

Your 5 year old Sony IS a Sony. That is why it is so good.

Now almost all Sony's are re badged Samsungs made in Mexico. Google Sony Samsung joint venture - you'll get some info, but both companies are trying desperately to keep it a secret.

jet
11-19-2009, 11:28 AM
my 15 year old magnetbox still works and it has spent the last five year in the hot tubb room (steamed and then froze) over and over lol

BillR
11-20-2009, 10:29 AM
my 15 year old magnetbox still works and it has spent the last five year in the hot tubb room (steamed and then froze) over and over lol

Probably made in America too! Hmmm

Offshoredrillin
11-20-2009, 11:11 AM

Whenever this group is together there is always bonfire guns and explosions. I still remember the lake house windows shaking and chuckie missing eyebrows....:rofl:

jet
11-20-2009, 11:25 AM
some things never change lol

glassdave
11-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Whenever this group is together there is always bonfire guns and explosions. I still remember the lake house windows shaking and chuckie missing eyebrows....:rofl:

ahhhhh . . . . good times . . .good times :sifone:

I cant believe the mountain of shell casings i have to clean off the deck :willy_nilly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1m14NfWs4E&feature=related

VtSteve
11-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Your 5 year old Sony IS a Sony. That is why it is so good.

Now almost all Sony's are re badged Samsungs made in Mexico. Google Sony Samsung joint venture - you'll get some info, but both companies are trying desperately to keep it a secret.

I don't know why you'd say that. Sony's JV with Samsung was setup because Sony was heavily into plasma, after converting from CRT.. They had virtually no LCD experience. Enter Samsung. Sony and Samsung combined in the K=JV has been very successful. They make a profit, whereas the pukey JV of LG-Phillips makes none. If not for Samsung, Sony's TV would be in a world of hurt, along with their other businesses.

Nothing secret at all about the Sony/Samsung JV. It had a big article in Business Weeks and elsewhere. Where on earth do you get this type of stuff from?

Ratickle
11-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Well, it is a great question.

We actually have a 10 year old Pioneer Elite 60" as our main TV still. Looking to change it out. Right now I'm leaning toward the new LED's as soon as they make a 70". The pics I've seen on the 55" Samsung LED's appears to be great.

MikeyFIN
11-21-2009, 07:22 AM
LEDīs are the Future.

augie58
11-21-2009, 08:05 AM
I bought a 42 inch VXT model 9 months ago. It was a "referbished" unit from tigerdirect and to date I am very pleased.

cuda
11-21-2009, 09:58 AM
I think the CRT is still the gold standard as far as picture quality.

yesrej
11-21-2009, 11:50 AM
are the newer plasmas much better then ones from two years ago? do they not burn like the older ones?

mikes280
11-22-2009, 07:38 PM
ok i got my dad a 42'' LG plasma 600hz 720p model #pq30 and he loves it. hhgregg has this set for 499 and i got one today it has a simple remote and i was able to program his big remote to the tv just like Billr said thanks Bill this made my dad very happy

MacGyver
11-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Isn't broadcast TV still 30Hz?

Madpoodle
11-22-2009, 09:00 PM
600 hz??

MacGyver
11-22-2009, 09:05 PM
600 hz??

Thats what I was thinking. What good is it when broadcast TV is 30Hz (frames/second) and movies are 24Hz?

mikes280
11-22-2009, 09:07 PM
yes it has to do with the refresh rate of the set hell i don't no ask BillR. i just know the cheaper LCD's are 60 hz then 120hz and now 240hz but the plasma i got is 600hz

MacGyver
11-22-2009, 09:11 PM
I think it's just another sales pitch.

mikes280
11-22-2009, 09:39 PM
may be you think 720 and 1080 are to?

MacGyver
11-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Nope. I see the the difference between 720 and 1080.

mikes280
11-22-2009, 10:35 PM
no one broadcast in 1080

MacGyver
11-22-2009, 10:39 PM
no one broadcast in 1080

Well I'm watching the Bears/Philly game right now in 1080i broadcast. I hope my TV isn't lying to me.

mikes280
11-22-2009, 10:43 PM
ok well i am a dummy anyway my dad is happy and that is all i give a chit about

Davidmnc
11-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Well I'm watching the Bears/Philly game right now in 1080i broadcast. I hope my TV isn't lying to me.

1080I is similar to 720P, and that is what they are refering to............I think

MacGyver
11-22-2009, 10:47 PM
ok well i am a dummy anyway my dad is happy and that is all i give a chit about

No you're not a dummy. TV chit changes so fast, it's hard to keep up. As long as the picture looks awesome, I'm happy :cheers2:

MacGyver
11-22-2009, 10:49 PM
1080I is similar to 720P, and that is what they are refering to............I think

I hit the info button on my TV and it tells me what I'm viewing.

mikes280
11-22-2009, 11:08 PM
1080I is similar to 720P, and that is what they are refering to............I thinkdito, no major networks are broadcasting in 1080p as of yet 1080i is interlaced 1080p is progressive so is 720p

mikes280
11-22-2009, 11:12 PM
my pioneer elite is 6 years old and it is 1080i

BillR
11-23-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't know why you'd say that. Sony's JV with Samsung was setup because Sony was heavily into plasma, after converting from CRT.. They had virtually no LCD experience. Enter Samsung. Sony and Samsung combined in the K=JV has been very successful. They make a profit, whereas the pukey JV of LG-Phillips makes none. If not for Samsung, Sony's TV would be in a world of hurt, along with their other businesses.

Nothing secret at all about the Sony/Samsung JV. It had a big article in Business Weeks and elsewhere. Where on earth do you get this type of stuff from?

Direct from the manufactures themselves. They DO NOT want the general public to know that a Samsung model XXX is same as Sony model XXX. They are not trying to keep the JV secret.

BillR
11-23-2009, 10:37 AM
LEDīs are the Future.

http://www.bobfederal.com/brandsource/10ThingsLED.pdf

clayinaustin
11-23-2009, 10:40 AM
It's no secret... :rolleyes:

Samsung and Sony's Win-Win LCD Venture (http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/nov2006/gb20061128_546338.htm)

BillR
11-25-2009, 11:31 AM
It's no secret... :rolleyes:

Samsung and Sony's Win-Win LCD Venture (http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/nov2006/gb20061128_546338.htm)

Correct! The JV is NO secret.
They DO NOT want the general public to know that a Samsungs model XXX is same as Sony model XXX because Sony is more $$ for the exact same version as the Samsung.

In other words, the Samsung B550 series is the same as Sony S series.

Sony uses LG panels on their better XBR series. BUT they also put a really good processor in the XBR's.

jet
11-25-2009, 12:28 PM
as you all know I had to buy a new set because my five year old SONY took a dump.So I buy the new SAMSUNG 1080p bigass plasma 600 hz super fast bla bla bla then I get a new BLUE RAY player to take advantage of all the cool dady tech super high def picture then I realise I cant see the difference (BECAUSE I CAN'T SEE) should I set realy close and where my readers or set far away and where my drivers .LOL

Woody
11-25-2009, 09:51 PM
as you all know I had to buy a new set because my five year old SONY took a dump.So I buy the new SAMSUNG 1080p bigass plasma 600 hz super fast bla bla bla then I get a new BLUE RAY player to take advantage of all the cool dady tech super high def picture then I realise I cant see the difference (BECAUSE I CAN'T SEE) should I set realy close and where my readers or set far away and where my drivers .LOL

Man, you need to start a new thread about glasses....this is so OFF TOPIC:bump:

jet
11-26-2009, 12:09 AM
yep

glassdave
11-26-2009, 12:31 AM
yep

hey Jon your prolly half deaf to like me . . . . . . did ya get surround sound to? :D

Madpoodle
11-26-2009, 07:59 AM
So Bill, if you were going to buy a 46 - 50" for the living room, what would you buy?

BillR
11-28-2009, 12:16 AM
So Bill, if you were going to buy a 46 - 50" for the living room, what would you buy?

NuVision 47FX5

Pioneer Elite pro 101

LG 50PG80

Madpoodle
11-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Hmmmmm.....

I've been good, time to write Santa a letter :) :)

The Elite's rock, but I need to tone down the budget a tad. Don't want Santa to stroke out..

mikes280
11-29-2009, 09:13 PM
so one told me pioneer was done that they say they can not compete with the cheap sets out there?

MarylandMark
11-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Pioneer Announces Display Business Change

Pioneer announced on February 12, 2009 it will withdraw from the display business by March 2010. While this has been a celebrated category for many years, display production is not economically viable at this time.

For those consumers still considering purchasing an award-winning Pioneer KURO display, current models are available at our retail partners and Pioneer plans to continue supporting service needs, replacement parts and warranties. For more information about Pioneer’s restructuring, please visit: http://pioneer.jp/press-e/2009/

rschap1
11-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Well after all my shopping, searching, and debate...I did what I usually do.

I got a Sylvania 42" LCD for $499, and the wife is going to p/u a Vizio 22" for the bedroom this week.

While I was thinkin' near a grand for a beter 47", when I bought the cheaper 42 and got it home, I was glad. Looks nice and probably has better capability than anything I will feed to it. So far just cable from the coax. The kids Playstation looked really good, and we watched a DVD of Transformers 2 on it. Good enough for us!! All the specs are there for it. 1080, 120hx, 16,000:1 etc.

I am sure that bigger $$ would get a better set up, but if it doesn't crap out on me after a short time, I will be glad. My 32" Westinghouse is about 3 years old now. After wear and tear from the wife and kid, I cannot complain. That was $599 when I got it, and specs out worse than the $250 specials from this past week's sales.

There has been mention of adjustments and calibrations for ALL the sets. I am only seeing the basic color, contrast, brightness, tint...etc. Is there a way to go beyond those?? THANKS!!!!!

clayinaustin
11-30-2009, 10:33 AM
I bought the 32" Samsung from Walmart for $378. :)

MacGyver
11-30-2009, 06:16 PM
I bought the 32" Samsung from Walmart for $378. :)

I need a new kitchen TV. That would be perfect.

rschap1
12-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Tried to have the wife p/u a 22" Vizio for our bedroom yesterday. Going to move the 19" into our kitchen. Sold out at our local Target stores for $229. I told her the 3 year service plan @ $29 should be purchased too.

MarylandMark
12-01-2009, 07:10 PM
It's more money (around $50 IIRC) but when I was looking about 2 months ago; the 24" took up the same space at the 22" did. Looking at the Vizio website it may have just because of the models they were stocking but just tossing it out there.

I wanted the biggest I could cram in a small space so went with the 24"

rschap1
12-02-2009, 10:56 AM
I was/am considering 24" also. That would be about as big as I can go. With them being out of stock on the 22's I will look harder for another brand and/or 24's.

Thanks!!!