PDA

View Full Version : New Boats

DollaBill
11-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Just curious. Who's taken delivery of a brand new boat lately? Over 25' perf design

Sea-Dated
11-10-2009, 03:12 PM
You got me with the "Over 25' Perf Design" part.

I was going to buy one of these for Christmas for Masher so he could have a go fast again......

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Syma_Century_29__EP_Radio_Controlled_Racing_Boatop5Standard.jpg

DollaBill
11-10-2009, 03:33 PM
LOL. Boats over 25' that are performance oriented. Or, he!!, any new boats?? I'm picking on Donzi, but I havent heard of a new Donzi being delivered in a looooooooooooooooooooooong time

masher44
11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
You got me with the "Over 25' Perf Design" part.

I was going to buy one of these for Christmas for Masher so he could have a go fast again......

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Syma_Century_29__EP_Radio_Controlled_Racing_Boatop5Standard.jpg

Buy one for yourself and you will have a fast boat.

44MTI
11-10-2009, 03:47 PM
buy one for yourself and you will have a fast boat.

lmao.

Wrinkleface
11-10-2009, 03:49 PM

lmao.

Children, play nice!!!!:biggrinjester:

Sea-Dated
11-10-2009, 03:49 PM

I can say with 100% certainty that my boat is faster than yours......:sifone:

Sea-Dated
11-10-2009, 03:50 PM
lmao.

No need to encourage him big daddy.......:biggrinjester:

masher44
11-10-2009, 04:09 PM
everyone LOVES my 16 seater

JupiterSunsation
11-10-2009, 05:00 PM
LOL. Boats over 25' that are performance oriented. Or, he!!, any new boats?? I'm picking on Donzi, but I havent heard of a new Donzi being delivered in a looooooooooooooooooooooong time

The board member from Tallahassee (can't remember screen name) just bought a new Donzi from Craig at the factory. He bought a 28 open bow in the last couple weeks.

Donzi closed production down in the summer of 2008 and hasn't produced a boat since if I remember the story correctly. The same would go for Proline boats since they are related.

DollaBill
11-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Yes they were/are connected. So do any dealers have new '09 models or are they 08's going into '10? Frank C can answer this Im sure

WFORob
11-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Wonder if Fountain will be the same now that the three are all owned by the same owners.

Wrinkleface
11-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Just curious. Who's taken delivery of a brand new boat lately? Over 25' perf design

Have a friend from Michigan here go'n 2 take delivery of a new 44 OL soon w/ the 725 Ilmors & the new drives!

44MTI
11-10-2009, 05:37 PM
No need to encourage him big dadddy.......:biggrinjester:

I agree, but it was pretty darn funny.

Your reBUTTal wasn't bad either.

JupiterSunsation
11-11-2009, 07:32 PM
The board member from Tallahassee (can't remember screen name) just bought a new Donzi from Craig at the factory. He bought a 28 open bow in the last couple weeks.

Donzi closed production down in the summer of 2008 and hasn't produced a boat since if I remember the story correctly. The same would go for Proline boats since they are related.

VetteLT1 was the guy that bought the new Donzi recently......

VetteLT193
11-16-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm one of the very few that bought a performance (type) boat this whole year it seems.

I really like the mid cabin / open bow design. Best of both worlds. I have taken as many as 11 people out on it for a sandbar run. with lighter loads I get to open it up and have some fun.

Here are some more pics. one of them has the 22 in the background as well.

VetteLT193
11-16-2009, 11:18 AM
the rest...

Magic Medicine
11-16-2009, 11:19 AM
My dad just bougth a brand new CC, 22'. Not sure it fits the bill, but its a pretty nice boat!

Five Cent Worth
11-16-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm one of the very few that bought a performance (type) boat this whole year it seems.

I really like the mid cabin / open bow design. Best of both worlds. I have taken as many as 11 people out on it for a sandbar run. with lighter loads I get to open it up and have some fun.

Here are some more pics. one of them has the 22 in the background as well.

Nice looking boat. I couldn’t agree with you saying that the mid cabin open seems like a great versatile way to go. My next is going to be MCOB as well.

What made you pick the Donzi over the likes of Nordic, Sunsation and others that have a nice MCOB? What power did you get?

VetteLT193
11-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Nice looking boat. I couldn’t agree with you saying that the mid cabin open seems like a great versatile way to go. My next is going to be MCOB as well.

What made you pick the Donzi over the likes of Nordic, Sunsation and others that have a nice MCOB? What power did you get?

Donzi made the top of the list because of past boats but I looked at a bunch of other makes too to be sure that is what I wanted.

I originally looked used. I wanted a boat small / light enough to tow with my Lincoln Navigator (or other regular truck / SUV). I wanted twin engines so I can do island hopping if I want to and/or long runs in the Gulf. Price mattered.

What I found is that Sunsation has nutso used prices on single engine boats. I couldn't touch the twin version (both price and towing ability). I thought Sunsation had a slightly better layout than the Donzi to be honest but the value compared to Donzi was no where close.

I looked at Eliminator... nothing could be found reasonable and the same issue with single engines for the most part. It's like people buy these MCOB boats and never sell them.

The Nordic I looked at was too small, I wanted 26' or bigger because of the FL life jacket law. These are also hard to find it seems

Dave's custom boats are pretty awesome. Carry an awesome price too. Another boat hard to find and carries a hefty price tag and none on the East coast to even look at.

I'm pretty sure I found a couple other manufacturers that made something that could fit the bill... all had the same issues. hard to find, high price, etc. One of the biggest competitors in the end was the Formula 280 SS... just not performance enough though.

Donzi though had built many twin SBC setups. Price is reasonable for what you get. Build quality is up there. Never heard anyone complain about them either.

So my search was 350 MPI's or greater. I really wanted Hydraulic steering. The rest of the options I could take or leave.

I made a couple offers on a 2001 Scorpion edition. Never made it, always close but in the end it fell through. I had a 2003 350 Mag boat "bought"... financing done, ready to drive up there. Seller calls right before I left and said he sold it to a neighbor (WTF???)

I found the one I bought at Donzi and knowing it was new was worth something (no headaches). Craig B. helped me out by negotiating with the new owners and the rest is history. It has 6.2 Mags and Hydraulic steering. I also really liked the fact that my boat doesn't have the 'regular' colors that you tend to see these days. The really dark metallic red, gold, with yellow accents is nice for a change. I also like the white/Tan/dark red interior scheme. Very classic looking and not circus-like.

cashbrain
11-16-2009, 12:19 PM
You know it's bad when people say"I know a guy that bought a boat"
Aronow used the downturn in the economy in the 80"s to build alot of boats...

TIKI
11-16-2009, 12:27 PM
I wanted 26' or bigger because of the FL life jacket law.

What's the FL law?

VetteLT193
11-16-2009, 12:34 PM
What's the FL law?

If the boat is 26' or bigger you have to have life jackets in the boat and accessible but you don't have to wear them... regardless of age.

In a nutshell: My kids wear life jackets when I want them to Vs. when all the time.... So when it is a hundred freaking degrees in the FL sun and we are farting through an idle zone they don't get heat stroke. :ack2:

Five Cent Worth
11-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Donzi made the top of the list because of past boats but I looked at a bunch of other makes too to be sure that is what I wanted.

I originally looked used. I wanted a boat small / light enough to tow with my Lincoln Navigator (or other regular truck / SUV). I wanted twin engines so I can do island hopping if I want to and/or long runs in the Gulf. Price mattered.

What I found is that Sunsation has nutso used prices on single engine boats. I couldn't touch the twin version (both price and towing ability). I thought Sunsation had a slightly better layout than the Donzi to be honest but the value compared to Donzi was no where close.

I looked at Eliminator... nothing could be found reasonable and the same issue with single engines for the most part. It's like people buy these MCOB boats and never sell them.

The Nordic I looked at was too small, I wanted 26' or bigger because of the FL life jacket law. These are also hard to find it seems

Dave's custom boats are pretty awesome. Carry an awesome price too. Another boat hard to find and carries a hefty price tag and none on the East coast to even look at.

I'm pretty sure I found a couple other manufacturers that made something that could fit the bill... all had the same issues. hard to find, high price, etc. One of the biggest competitors in the end was the Formula 280 SS... just not performance enough though.

Donzi though had built many twin SBC setups. Price is reasonable for what you get. Build quality is up there. Never heard anyone complain about them either.

So my search was 350 MPI's or greater. I really wanted Hydraulic steering. The rest of the options I could take or leave.

I made a couple offers on a 2001 Scorpion edition. Never made it, always close but in the end it fell through. I had a 2003 350 Mag boat "bought"... financing done, ready to drive up there. Seller calls right before I left and said he sold it to a neighbor (WTF???)

I found the one I bought at Donzi and knowing it was new was worth something (no headaches). Craig B. helped me out by negotiating with the new owners and the rest is history. It has 6.2 Mags and Hydraulic steering. I also really liked the fact that my boat doesn't have the 'regular' colors that you tend to see these days. The really dark metallic red, gold, with yellow accents is nice for a change. I also like the white/Tan/dark red interior scheme. Very classic looking and not circus-like.

Good post. Sounds like you and I have found some of the same info when digging deeper. A) There are few MCOB on the market (compared to others) and B) they seem to bring a good penny and C) most companies that make aren’t focused on the east cost market. I have been window shopping and have yet to be in too many and none on the water. However, from the style of boating that the wife and I do, it sounds like this is our next route if not even a deck boat. Did a deck boat resonate with you when looking?

I thought the Nordic 28 was one of the betters when looking. Liked the Sunny alot but you hit the nail on the head with the price.

I am coming from a ’05 Baja 245. Having the versatility to play, great value and have the 100% turn key application is essential to us too.

Another good one I forgot to mention was a Checkmate too.

What speeds you seeing?

TIKI
11-16-2009, 03:14 PM
If the boat is 26' or bigger you have to have life jackets in the boat and accessible but you don't have to wear them... regardless of age.

No age restrictions at all if over 26'? That shocks me.

VetteLT193
11-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Good post. Sounds like you and I have found some of the same info when digging deeper. A) There are few MCOB on the market (compared to others) and B) they seem to bring a good penny and C) most companies that make aren’t focused on the east cost market. I have been window shopping and have yet to be in too many and none on the water. However, from the style of boating that the wife and I do, it sounds like this is our next route if not even a deck boat. Did a deck boat resonate with you when looking?

I thought the Nordic 28 was one of the betters when looking. Liked the Sunny alot but you hit the nail on the head with the price.

I am coming from a ’05 Baja 245. Having the versatility to play, great value and have the 100% turn key application is essential to us too.

Another good one I forgot to mention was a Checkmate too.

What speeds you seeing?

I didn't see the Nordic 28, could have just never found one though actually for sale.

I considered a Deck boat and other open bow boats without the mid cabin. I didn't go that route for a couple of reasons. One is I didn't feel to safe with the kids (or heck anyone) with a fully open boat. The eliminator Fun Deck was top of the list, amongst others that would have worked. I just saw myself staying close to home and not wanting to get caught in anything rough. I've already been caught in some big seas on the way home from the sand bar and I'm very glad I bought the Donzi. Everyone squeezed (11 people) into the back of the boat and the cabin and we got home safely. Forget having a deck boat in those conditions... the waves were blasting over the boat. people would have been hanging on for their lives in that situation. With the Donzi it was just a matter of sitting down and getting back to the river. not necessarily fun but no one was scared. I would not be scared to take this boat to the Bahamas, or really anywhere, without people in the bow. With people up front I feel safe in river cruising situations... but mainly get people to the back when on plane.

Also... I hope to add Air conditioning at some point. A DC setup. I figure we'll be able to do some minor single overnight camping type trips with that. More of an excuse to get out and go shrimping or something and the kids can sleep in the cabin and/or the bow with the cover on for a short overnight trip. Plus, during sandbar days, we'd have a place to escape to that is cooled. A real plus when you need to beat the heat.

As for speeds, Donzi gave me the wrong props so I haven't tested top end really. I bought a set of cruising props (Bravo 1's). It tops out at 65 with them and cruises anywhere from 30-55. 55 @ 3800. I think 3200 is 45 if memory serves correct.

Based on research of other boats I'll see low 70's with Mirage +'s. I'll get them when I take the boat back for some basic warranty work in a few weeks. If I go labbed Mirage +'s it sounds like mid 70's is doable based on other owners with the same boat.

VetteLT193
11-16-2009, 04:59 PM
No age restrictions at all if over 26'? That shocks me.

None. And to be honest, to me, totally logical. If you are farting along at idle, calm water, no boat traffic, and it's a hot day.... It's less safe in FL to have the kid wrapped up in a foam heat absorber than to have them wear it. There is a greater chance of heat issues than drowning issues.

....all children under 6 years of age must wear a USCG-approved Type I, II, III or V PFD at all times while underway on any boat 26 feet or less in length....