PDA

View Full Version : Looking at tow rigs... what would you buy?

Pages : 1 [2]

Tony
02-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Fund you are going nuts for nothing.The thing has probably been driven without aditives for four years one more week won't hurt.Just run anti-gel and do a full service engine oil, trans, diff ,coolant etc.You should be fine.

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly: :willy_nilly:

Damn John, I feel like Im watching the final secconds of a horse race. Relax bud, dont make it any harder than it needs to be. Congrats on the new ride.

Bill
02-02-2010, 09:55 PM
That's good to know. This appears to be the lower radiator hose, this time.

For the record.... my Mercedes 560sl tranny cooler lines were crap too. :driving:

Not saying you are wrong, but the tranny cooler lines run up to the radiator for the tranny cooler. GM blames it on the colder weather... If you do a search on www.dieselplace.com there are some who have had lines made with better ends, not the crimps to eliminate the problem.

fund razor
02-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Not saying you are wrong, but the tranny cooler lines run up to the radiator for the tranny cooler. GM blames it on the colder weather... If you do a search on www.dieselplace.com there are some who have had lines made with better ends, not the crimps to eliminate the problem.
I'll check em too. I just have a strong feeling about the lower main coolant hose because I could see that they changed the upper, never changed the lower, and it has a bulge and a stain.

I appreciate the tip on the tranny cooler lines. I'll check that out.

fund razor
02-02-2010, 11:46 PM
How are they flushing the tranny? Pretty sure you cannot hook up those flushing machines they use on an Allison. Most guys unhook the output tranny cooler line and let the pump evacuate the old fluid. Obviously you have to be careful using this method not to run the tranny dry. You start it up and let it pump out so many quarts then shut down, add some ATF, restart, pump some more, repeat until fluid comes out clean. Supposedly the filter in the pan on the valve body never needs replaced unless you are doing a rebuild. At 95K I personally would pull the pan to inspect how much material is in the bottom and clean it. And if you have the pan off, why not change the internal filter?

Maybe I'll wait until the weather warms up a little and do the tranny myself. My first thought was to have em do one of those flushes. Thanks for the tip.

Expensive Date
02-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Maybe I'll wait until the weather warms up a little and do the tranny myself. My first thought was to have em do one of those flushes. Thanks for the tip.

You can just use two buckets also.One with new one empty for old.

One more important thing to do.You have gotten rid of your 1/2 ton and bought a dually so go though all the towing threads and tell everyone they need a dually.:)

fund razor
02-03-2010, 08:49 AM
You can just use two buckets also.One with new one empty for old.
Yeah, but they don't have to be Matco buckets, do they? :D

One more important thing to do.You have gotten rid of your 1/2 ton and bought a dually so go though all the towing threads and tell everyone they need a dually.:)
LMAO. I forgot about that benefit.

fund razor
02-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Crap. My regular guy can't touch it. (Coolant hose) His biggest lift can only do 10,000 lbs, and he figures this truck is 11,400. They don't have enough room without the lift I guess.

I asked if he would just lift the front and he said no. :(

Tony
02-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Call a commercial truck repair shop, or a fleet maintanence co.

fund razor
02-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Call a commercial truck repair shop, or a fleet maintanence co.

I think that I have found a guy. Referral from a friend in LEOPA.

Heck... my guy at Firestone can't even put TIRES on this sumbinch.

I need a list of Chris' heavy lift clients. :D

Sean H
02-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Crap. My regular guy can't touch it. (Coolant hose) His biggest lift can only do 10,000 lbs, and he figures this truck is 11,400. They don't have enough room without the lift I guess.

I asked if he would just lift the front and he said no. :(

Don't confuse the GVW sticker with the actual curb weight, subtract the payload capacity from the GVW sticker and that gets a pretty close curb weight estimate.

After KW, I rolled through the scale house at 23k in a crew cab f450 with two scooters in the bed, luggage, full fuel, 10,500 boat, steel trailer and probably some other junk in the bed.

I would say a crew cab dually 4x4 diesel is less than 8k with everyday stuff in it.

I actually found the specs for your truck...

•Curb weight: 2,972kg (6,552lbs)
•Exterior body width: 2,441mm (96.1")
•Exterior length: 6,566mm (258.5")
•GVWR: 5,171kg (11,400lbs)
•Rear hiproom: 1,598mm (62.9")
•Rear legroom: 993mm (39.1")
•Rear headroom: 991mm (39.0")
•Exterior height: 1,963mm (77.3")
•Wheelbase: 4,242mm (167.0")
•Front legroom: 1,049mm (41.3")
•Rear shoulder room: 1,654mm (65.1")
•Turning radius: 8.5m (27.9')
•Front shoulder room: 1,656mm (65.2")
•Front hiproom: 1,560mm (61.4")
•Front headroom: 1,041mm (41.0")

Sean H
02-03-2010, 01:28 PM
I cut that out of this ad.. which they obviously cut from GM somewhere.

http://www.gibsontruckworld.com/certified-inventory/2007-Chevrolet-Silverado+3500/037110c6404638bf01ef0b448e392907.htm

fund razor
02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Good call Sean. Thanks.

I called my guy and when I told him it was more like 7,000 (which was my guess when I dropped it off) he decided that it is now the 167 inch wheelbase that's the problem... so I think that he is just scared of the truck. I told him that if it's 11,400... then I had better not get a flat because the jack from GMC won't lift it. :o

I'll take it someplace else.

Thanks again Sean.

fund razor
02-03-2010, 07:01 PM
So... let's talk about fluid colors. The stuff that fell into my pan was sort of a light orange. At first, I thought it was coolant, because it was not all that slippery. Sort of more viscous than tranny fluid. Less slippery than I remember tranny fluid. The coolant looks similar in color. I know that old school ATF is red. But the tranny fluid in the mercedes was not. Could it be the tranny fluid that Bill warned about?

(The lower radiator hose is still shot)

Chris
02-03-2010, 08:36 PM
It doesn't weigh 11K plus. More like 8500. Drive it on a scale.

RLJ676
02-03-2010, 08:47 PM
So... let's talk about fluid colors. The stuff that fell into my pan was sort of a light orange. At first, I thought it was coolant, because it was not all that slippery. Sort of more viscous than tranny fluid. Less slippery than I remember tranny fluid. The coolant looks similar in color. I know that old school ATF is red. But the tranny fluid in the mercedes was not. Could it be the tranny fluid that Bill warned about?

(The lower radiator hose is still shot)

The Allison "takes" a special tranny fluid, dex-something or other, just like the dex-cool anti-freeze.

I'm not sure if you can swap it for something else, I just stuck with what's recommended, only a little more dough.

fund razor
02-04-2010, 07:14 AM
The Allison "takes" a special tranny fluid, dex-something or other, just like the dex-cool anti-freeze.

I'm not sure if you can swap it for something else, I just stuck with what's recommended, only a little more dough.

Not asking about switching. Was asking if the light orange colored fluid could have been that "dex something or other atf," rather than the dex-cool. :D

fund razor
02-04-2010, 07:15 AM
It doesn't weigh 11K plus. More like 8500. Drive it on a scale.

Maybe even less than 8500. I'll weigh it at some point, in the meantime I have found someone who isn't afraid to lift it. :)

Bill
02-04-2010, 08:25 AM

And there was a difference from the 5-speed allys and the 6 speed allys. The Amsoil website can help on this subject.

Bill
02-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Maybe even less than 8500. I'll weigh it at some point, in the meantime I have found someone who isn't afraid to lift it. :)

my crew cab 2500 Dmax is a little over 7K if that helps on your weight.

Bill
02-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Not asking about switching. Was asking if the light orange colored fluid could have been that "dex something or other atf," rather than the dex-cool. :D

When I have found my tranny cooler lines leaking, it was not red, I am going to say maybe more of a pink. BUT, I am a little color blind with reds, so there may have been an orange to it. I do know it was not as red as the fluid out of the bottle.

BUIZILLA
02-04-2010, 09:25 AM
TransSynd

MarylandMark
02-04-2010, 09:26 AM
I would say a crew cab dually 4x4 diesel is less than 8k with everyday stuff in it.

2006 F350 6.0 SRW King Ranch long bed full of fuel was within 100LBS of 8K LBS on 4-6 different times. It was all with the same scale so the scale could be off but if it is, I doubt it is by much. Local commerical joint the cops love to hate so he plays by the rules.

Knot 4 Me
02-04-2010, 09:50 AM
TransSyndCorrect and it looks just as red as Dexron III or VI. GM does not fill the Allison with TransSynd at the factory, though. Too expensive.

fund razor
02-04-2010, 11:30 AM
I guess I will find out tomorrow one way or another. I just would have expected a tranny fluid to be slicker to the touch, and it's sort of orange.
I found a local guy who is not scared to lift the truck. Referral from a friend. Whatever it is... it will be fixed tomorrow.
I did my last set of tranny lines myself, but I don't feel like laying under this sob on my ice covered driveway, and I can't get much of it inside the garage.

fund razor
02-04-2010, 02:43 PM
www.dieselplace.com

I have a lot of reading to do. :)

Bill
02-04-2010, 06:43 PM
I have a lot of reading to do. :)

It can get really expensive there too!!! Don"t ask how I know!! My wife hates when I visit since I normally end up buying something!!!! lmao

RLJ676
02-04-2010, 08:38 PM
It can get really expensive there too!!! Don"t ask how I know!! My wife hates when I visit since I normally end up buying something!!!! lmao

You're not kidding!

I recommend not looking in the wheels or suspension or performance or...sections, as you'll see things you have to have.:driving:

fund razor
02-04-2010, 08:41 PM
No doubt Bill. No doubt.

Anyway.... thanks for all the input and the time that you put into this. I really appreciate it. And also the other guys who took an interest. It worked out like a bunch of older brothers with the same truck. It's the best of what these forums are for.

Cheers. :cheers2:

Bill
02-04-2010, 09:00 PM
No doubt Bill. No doubt.

Anyway.... thanks for all the input and the time that you put into this. I really appreciate it. And also the other guys who took an interest. It worked out like a bunch of older brothers with the same truck. It's the best of what these forums are for.

Cheers. :cheers2:

Anytime!!!I get frustrated with some of the stupid problems I had had with my truck, but I really do love it!!!!! So, I try and pass on what I have learned!!:cheers2: I just wish it was a dually!!!!

fund razor
02-05-2010, 11:18 AM
So nobody guessed the water pump to block gasket? :)

Just got a call from my new mechanic who lifted the truck up, took the skid plate off and diagnosed the water pump gasket leak.

And then said "And it's out of my league."

So he knows a good duramax tech that he is referring me to, and I only owe him a case of Mich light.
So Monday, I meet my new, new mechanic.
So far... they all love the truck... and none of them will touch it. :D

IW 401
02-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Towed my 35lightning back from Mich. with a 2500 Chev. diesel, not problems whatsoever. Thats from Mich. to South Jersey.

Wobble
02-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Thank you everyone who made suggestions. I ended up buying the 2006 GMC 3500 dually, 6.6 Duramax, leather, XLT, bose, onstar, brake controller, 95,000 miles.

It's in my driveway now. Just drove it 2.5 hours and boy, did people get the phuck out of my way. :D :D

Congrats on a smart choice:cheers2:

The cool and confusing thing about the 06 LLY is that it is identical to the LBZ motor except for programming. It is not the same motor as the 05 LLY.

I have an 06 with 100k miles of hard use and all it has seen is fluids and filters. There was an egr check engine light that came on a couple of times then cured itself.

I intend to put at least another 100k miles on it, best vehicle I have ever owned.

Bill
02-05-2010, 09:43 PM
So nobody guessed the water pump to block gasket? :)

Just got a call from my new mechanic who lifted the truck up, took the skid plate off and diagnosed the water pump gasket leak.

And then said "And it's out of my league."

So he knows a good duramax tech that he is referring me to, and I only owe him a case of Mich light.
So Monday, I meet my new, new mechanic.
So far... they all love the truck... and none of them will touch it. :D

Wow, that sucks....never would have guessed that!!!! Sorry to hear!

fund razor
02-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Ok, it wasn't quite 400 for the part.
It was the water pump tho. Tranny lines and coolant hoses look good.
Did the fuel filter too.
Anyway... happy to say that it's fixed and now the biggest problem is the salt on it and those little cars in my way. :D :driving:

fixxxer22
02-10-2010, 12:27 PM
I would look for a 2005-2007 ford f-350 SRW. the cool thing about the 350 is that it is 3 inches taller in the rear. so for $40.00 you can buy a leveling kit and make it look like it has a 3 inch lift and tuck some bigger tires under it. the srw is still has a 1 ton payload and the 6.0 will not have as many emissions as the 6.4. the 6.4 is good and if you have any trucks you are looking at you can send me their vin# and i can tell what has been done and where. and what build the trucks are. if you get an 06 or 07 with warranty left ( i can tell you if you provide me a vin) i can tell you the few specific things to complain about to get them patched up before the truck has a chance to give you trouble.

As far as the used world goes there is no price difference from a 250 and a 350 srw. when you buy them new they do hit you with a higher price due to their payload. I am also a huge fan of the tow command in the fords and the tow haul mode with engine braking. the trans is also huge as opposed to dodge. I pull a buddys slingshot 38 with mine from time to time and it does well. i also put electric brakes on my trailer (even though everyone said it would not work) and i forget to unplug them 50% of the time when im putting the boat in and have never had a problem. and locally here at midwest wheel it only costs $45 a hub for a electric brake conversion. then i get to use my tow command.

fund razor
02-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks very much.

But I bought a truck on page 9. :D

2006 GMC 3500 xlt 1 ton dually with a duramax and an allison. Vroom. :D

fixxxer22
02-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Good deal! happy towing! Keep up on your fuel filters and anti gel. Also you can add a cetane booster to each tank to gain about 1mpg.

fund razor
02-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Hey fixxer, where are you located?

fixxxer22
02-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Bettendorf, Iowa. 52722 I am a tech in the dealership Lindquist Ford

fund razor
02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Gotcha. Thanks.

Chris is right, you are about to be the most popular member on this forum. :D

fixxxer22
02-10-2010, 02:42 PM
love to help. These fourums helped me through the build of my big block last year. hi performance chevy was a new thing to me. everyone was eager to help and as should I with the knowlege i have a ford vehicles and what I have available. I also work on a site called just answer and i can make shop manual snapshots and other things and make them pdf files. I can also check oasis on all ford vehicles 1999 and up. I really do like how everyone is so polite on this site. and love the apache. mabye i will be in the big leauges one day.

38fountainSC
02-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Hey fixxer whats the highest milage you've seen on a 7.3? A couple of my work trucks are over 300k and still run good. Also you say 6.0 is good but I have read a lot about those engines having problems with less then 100k. One of them was one here.

Oh yea, nice to have someone to help diagnose a problem.

Big Time
02-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Then use a oil pumper and run oil into every seam on the truck, bed wells, door lips.... everything...

What exactly do you do? What kind of oil do you use....never heard of this but I am super anal too. I use WD-40 on my truck in all the seems, but if there is something better....

fixxxer22
02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Hey fixxer whats the highest milage you've seen on a 7.3? A couple of my work trucks are over 300k and still run good. Also you say 6.0 is good but I have read a lot about those engines having problems with less then 100k. One of them was one here.

Oh yea, nice to have someone to help diagnose a problem.

I have seen tow truck with hard service run 500k. you can do a simple test on a 7.3 called crankcase pressure testing to determine the condition of the engine. i have had a guy come in and told me to install new bearings. i tore his down and they still looked great. all the cylinders still had a good crosshatch in them and it had 300k. just keep good oil in it. we have a johnstone supply truck come in every 3 weeks it gets 1k put on it a week. it has 430k on it and they change the oil every 3 k with ford oil and filter. that truck runs better than many i have driven with 100k on it. the clean oil keeps the injectors working well. the valve covers have never been off that vehicle.

Bill
02-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Bettendorf, Iowa. 52722 I am a tech in the dealership Lindquist Ford

I thought that boat looked familiar, I am in Davenport.

Bill
02-10-2010, 06:30 PM
i also put electric brakes on my trailer (even though everyone said it would not work) and i forget to unplug them 50% of the time when im putting the boat in and have never had a problem. and locally here at midwest wheel it only costs $45 a hub for a electric brake conversion. then i get to use my tow command.

I have had electric brakes on my past three boat trailers and love them, never a problem either! I would never have anything but electrics either. Plus, surge is either illegal or becoming illegal for a reason!!!

fixxxer22
02-10-2010, 06:37 PM
I have had electric brakes on my past three boat trailers and love them, never a problem either! I would never have anything but electrics either. Plus, surge is either illegal or becoming illegal for a reason!!!

Someone told me that they would fry in water but i am a year deep and i forget all the time to unplug them and there is no change in their operation. i run the same gain and the trailer operates properly.

looks like you took your avatar pic behind princeton beach?

Bill
02-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Someone told me that they would fry in water but i am a year deep and i forget all the time to unplug them and there is no change in their operation. i run the same gain and the trailer operates properly.

looks like you took your avatar pic behind princeton beach?

I have never diconnected my trailer when I back in. All three trailer MFG's said there is no reason to. I am going on 5 years and three boat trailers and no problems. Not too mention, my car hauler that has been in the rain and never a brake problem and my 5th wheel camper that is towed in the rain and brake wires get wet, never a problem...

My Avatar pic was taken down in Dodges Cut, just up river from Buffalo and Adalusia, it is between a couple of islands, great place to hang out, plus you can get out and walk around in anything from ankle deep water to chest deep. I saw you caoming through the canalduring Tug Fest weekend this past summer.

fixxxer22
02-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I have never diconnected my trailer when I back in. All three trailer MFG's said there is no reason to. I am going on 5 years and three boat trailers and no problems. Not too mention, my car hauler that has been in the rain and never a brake problem and my 5th wheel camper that is towed in the rain and brake wires get wet, never a problem...

My Avatar pic was taken down in Dodges Cut, just up river from Buffalo and Adalusia, it is between a couple of islands, great place to hang out, plus you can get out and walk around in anything from ankle deep water to chest deep. I saw you caoming through the canalduring Tug Fest weekend this past summer.

What are you runnin in your boat and what make is it?

Bill
02-11-2010, 01:46 PM
What are you runnin in your boat and what make is it?

08 Formula 292 with twin 377's. Formula will not put BB's in this hull...:ack2:

fixxxer22
02-11-2010, 06:13 PM
08 Formula 292 with twin 377's. Formula will not put BB's in this hull...:ack2:

Thats a good lookin boat sir.:cheers2:

fund razor
02-11-2010, 06:24 PM
You can put a powerstroke in your boat, but I'd talk to member "2112" first. :D

Bill
02-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Thats a good lookin boat sir.:cheers2:

Thank you very much!!:cheers2:

Bill
02-11-2010, 06:54 PM
You can put a powerstroke in your boat, but I'd talk to member "2112" first. :D

How about a Duramax in the boat?!?!?!?!? I know, he is a Ford Mech. :smash:

fund razor
02-11-2010, 07:05 PM
How about a Duramax in the boat?!?!?!?!? I know, he is a Ford Mech. :smash:
I don't know if you are familiar with 2112, but he did some amazing work with fords in a Cig and maybe his second boat too. If I remember.... staggered big blocks fords with custom rigging, paint and stainless exhaust in a 36 Cig.
It would be worth searching threads for the pics.

Tony
02-11-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't know if you are familiar with 2112, but he did some amazing work with fords in a Cig and maybe his second boat too. If I remember.... staggered big blocks fords with custom rigging, paint and stainless exhaust in a 36 Cig.

Definately in my top five list for originality.

Bill
02-12-2010, 08:22 AM

Not familiar with it, I will look it up and look into it. I love inginuity!!!!

VtSteve
02-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Gotta admit, this is one of the best tow rig threads anywhere. Great stuff!

Has anyone got anything good to say about the new stuff, or is that just too depressing?

fund razor
02-12-2010, 09:55 PM

Has anyone got anything good to say about the new stuff, or is that just too depressing?

We have noticed the interest in the whole truck and towing thing too.

Look for an enhanced truck/towing section. With separate sections for Ford, GMC and Dodge with subsections for tips, tricks and such. Should be good.
Thanks Steve. :)

New stuff is sort of depressing.

fund razor
02-12-2010, 09:57 PM
My advice is buy what you can now.

VtSteve
02-13-2010, 11:07 AM

I'd only use it a few times a year maybe, possibly more if it was a better all around driver. I drive a 100 miles a day normally, so a truck really wasn't my first choice. But having something that is fairly cheap, and able to handle 200 - 400 miles tows would be nice. Prices around here for used seem quite high, so traveling might be the best step.

fund razor
02-13-2010, 11:28 AM
I should have been more specific. What I meant was that my advice was to buy something desirable and to keep, while they are still available in reasonably low mileage. For example... someone looking for a ford with a 7.3 powerstroke is starting to be limited to older, higher mile trucks. Otherwise the only choice is a 6.0. I looked for an Excursion with a 7.3 for a while, and while there are some nice ones... they are now 7 years old and older.

If you want a pre-emission craziness duramax... a 2006 is the way to go. They can still be found in good shape. An LLY duramax can be flashed or chipped to an LBZ, which brings the extra 50 hp. Just from programming.

But having said all that, if I remember corectly... you don't need a 14,000 pound capable tow vehicle, either.

For that 100 miles a day... I use a 2007 malibu. Cheap. Plenty of air bags and 32 hwy. :D

Bill
02-13-2010, 12:23 PM

Personally, I think the EPA has really screwed up the 07.5 and newer diesels!! I have an 06 Dmax LBZ/Allison and love it! Not happy with some of the engineering or lack of thought on the front end of these trucks (not cosmetic) but I still love the truck! I am so displeased with the new stuff (EPA) that 2 years ago I parked my truck and bought a car to use for daily year round driving. Now my truck only sees about 3K miles per year of driving (towing)

VtSteve
02-13-2010, 12:54 PM
I only need 5000# now but that could change. I was looking into more versatile vehicles that could pull double duty as a special trip vehicle with more room. Like a Tahoe, possibly a Nissan or V8 4runner. The Tahoe would be a great longer term vehicle for me. I also like the ext cab Nissan Titan since it has the engine, but not the immense size.

SAE tow ratings are really going to change the game. Many rigs now have tow ratings that are at best, a joke. But a longer wheelbase with a full tow package has always been the best way to start start. If I had bought that 28' Chap cuddy last year there was no way I intended to tow the beast. Launching it would have been quite interesting. But something like a AT25-29 or so would be fine.

I like the new F150's, but the 5.4 has not won over many customers for towing. It'll be interesting to see if GM and Ford can muster some investment in the newer diesels. GM had a nice small D that was on the bench, but they stopped development for now.

fund razor
02-13-2010, 01:18 PM
I only need 5000# now but that could change. I was looking into more versatile vehicles that could pull double duty as a special trip vehicle with more room. Like a Tahoe, possibly a Nissan or V8 4runner. The Tahoe would be a great longer term vehicle for me. I also like the ext cab Nissan Titan since it has the engine, but not the immense size.

SAE tow ratings are really going to change the game. Many rigs now have tow ratings that are at best, a joke. But a longer wheelbase with a full tow package has always been the best way to start start. If I had bought that 28' Chap cuddy last year there was no way I intended to tow the beast. Launching it would have been quite interesting. But something like a AT25-29 or so would be fine.

I like the new F150's, but the 5.4 has not won over many customers for towing. It'll be interesting to see if GM and Ford can muster some investment in the newer diesels. GM had a nice small D that was on the bench, but they stopped development for now.

I have a buddy with a 2007 f150 5.4 and it actually tows pretty well. We moved my boat around with it in various stages of disassembly. (Locally) If you expect to stay in that weight range, could be an option. Since I bought my truck, my neighbor bought one of those Lincoln trucks like an f150 (mark something or another) to pull his camping trailer and it's a nice truck for the 5k towers.

VtSteve
02-13-2010, 02:38 PM
That's the trouble with most Truck Threads Fund, too much hearsay and brand loyal talk. One of the reasons I liked this thread. I have no idea what the relative merits or problems are between the trucks out there, and it's hard to find the truth. I hear many say the 5.4 is "gutless". Maybe they're trying to tow 10K uphill, I don't know.

I know someone that bought a fairly new F250 with a V10, and it pulls like a tractor. Sucks gas like two Hummers strapped together though.

DAREDEVIL
02-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I would buy this ,,,if i could.........lol

MarylandMark
02-13-2010, 04:04 PM
I had an 04 F150 5.4 Lariat 4 door. Nice truck, drop down TV was cool and it towed fairly well- rated at almost 10K with the tow package. Fuel economy sucked, leather seats wore down very quickly and the truck bed was tiny but other than that it was a cool truck. A buddy of mine has one with the center console shifter which is IMHO is a better cabin layout.

RLJ676
02-13-2010, 05:18 PM
That's the trouble with most Truck Threads Fund, too much hearsay and brand loyal talk. One of the reasons I liked this thread. I have no idea what the relative merits or problems are between the trucks out there, and it's hard to find the truth. I hear many say the 5.4 is "gutless". Maybe they're trying to tow 10K uphill, I don't know.

I know someone that bought a fairly new F250 with a V10, and it pulls like a tractor. Sucks gas like two Hummers strapped together though.

Any of the gas 3/4 ton trucks will be real thirsty. The v10's and the BBC's will pull strong though.

I'm getting about 9 mpg in my 01 with a big block, but still love the truck.:driving:

The Ford powertrains aren't "gutless" necessarily, just the Chevy's are stronger. For limited towing any of the newer trucks will certainly work.

fund razor
02-13-2010, 05:24 PM

Maybe the people calling it gutless have high expectations. I was satisfied, the acceleration is slower than one of these diesel monsters, sure. But it almost was impressive enough for me to buy a Ford.
Truth be told, I once pulled a 6000# Chris Craft up the Chicago Skyway bridge with my older GMC 5.0 gasser. It wasn't happy, but the truck and the boat all got home and the truck still has the same tranny... 7 or 8 years later.
(Good thing the surge brakes worked.) :o

The folks on this thread were pretty straight up about issues good and bad. I have been doing a lot of reading over at the Diesel Place, which is a very no-nonsense forum and there is a ton of good info. I would be glad to have any full sized american truck. I'm glad that I bought mine because it's a good fit. But I would have been just as happy pulling with a Powerstroke. From what I can tell the powerstroke is a slightly louder engine, all things being equal. But it was a Powerstroke that got the boat from MD to OH.

I don't think that one brand has an advantage over another. I think that the guy who matches his truck to his task and does the maintenance will have a good experience. :cheers2:

VtSteve
02-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Well said Fund.

fixxxer22
02-13-2010, 07:36 PM

I agree for the moment... I go to my new model training on march 10th. And I will let you guys know what i have learned about the new 6.7 I have taken my web based prerequisite classes and have learned that the 6.7 is easier to service egr vaves and coolers. It also supports the DPF system with the afterburner effect. It also has a NOX emissions ureah injector in the tail end of the exhaust. so now, you have to fill your exhaust fluid every oil change. Which we have estimated that the new 6.7 will have an oil change price af about $200.00. The power is supposed to a little better or equal to the 6.4.
My sales managers expect the 2001-2007 model trucks value to rise after 1 year has passed after the launch of the new 2011 diesels by all brands.

fixxxer22
02-13-2010, 07:39 PM

the only thing that can stop a V-10 ford or dodge is a gas station! They can pull houses down!

fund razor
03-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Well... as threatened... I am having the 7500 pound hitch removed and a 12,000 pound hitch installed Friday. Anybody want a 7500 pound hitch? :D

fund razor
02-08-2012, 10:15 PM
All the better for you as the buyer. By the time you're ready to sell, this GM thing will be yesterday's news and resale will be back where it belongs.:biggrinjester: Prophet.

Ratickle
02-09-2012, 07:31 PM
It's amazing what a car company can do with between an $86 Billion and $100 Billion tax free, interest free, liability free donation.....

Interestingly enough there were right at 90 million people who actually paid taxes to the feds that year. But the estimates are it saved approximately 50,000 jobs????

fund razor
02-10-2012, 07:46 AM
It's amazing what a car company can do with between an $86 Billion and $100 Billion tax free, interest free, liability free donation.....

Interestingly enough there were right at 90 million people who actually paid taxes to the feds that year. But the estimates are it saved approximately 50,000 jobs???? When they were going to do the bailout, I was against it. As a free-market capitalist, it sounded like socialism. But then I spent a few years working in the greater Detroit area, and I saw the impact. I saw the determination of the automakers and the quality of the product. I also thought about the historical disproportionate value of Detroit and the industrial complex to the rest of the country. Frankly, and without hyperbole... any student of american history knows that Detroit won world war 2. I think that they had one bailout coming.
Nice to see so much of it being repaid, and the industry becoming quite relevant again in the world car market. It's been a while since there were so many american car models that I would be glad to own and drive.

Ratickle
02-10-2012, 08:55 AM
I will respectfully disagree.

Chrysler is a foreign auto maker now, not one of the so-called Big Three. They are Fiat. As the money turns, a foreign auto maker and a union received billions of us taxpayer money to take over an auto manufacturer. For what? To make sure Ford had some competition so they would not be as likely to succeed without a bailout too? As for GM, it just makes me sick. The amount that taxpayers and secured creditors lodt in the Chrysler scam is one thing. But $100 Billion in the GM scam. Come on, every penny of what the management and employees received in benefits should be repaid into the taxpayers coffers. I mean, we give them $100 billion, and it looks as if two years in a row now the 45,000 employees will receive profit sharing checks of over $4000 each?

Currently, the stock value is about half what the US government needs it to be to a break even on the $50 billion in loans it said were "loans" on the shares held as collateral, and GM has already started to lose money in their overseas operations, and their profits were down 15% versus the previous years 3rd quarter.I believe because with the bailout instead of a lawful bankruptcy, there was no restructuring of the union contracts to make the automaker competitive with the foreign manufacturers we allow to manufacture with a competitive advantage in the first place, and without the drag of uncompetitive union contracts and entitlements.

I fully expect them to go bankrupt in the future, and the taxpayers to be holding a minimum $200 Billion in unfunded union retirement expenses. But I'm currently a pessimist when it comes to anything operated by the US Government, and GM is one of those. DO you really believe they would report a loss when their books are controlled by the US Government in an election year? I thinking more along the lines of Freddie Mac and Fannie May.....

fund razor
02-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I will respectfully disagree.
Ok. That works for me.
It was a totally distracting hijack for anyone who came here to read about tow vehicles anyway.

Ratickle
02-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Yeah, but sometimes they're the most fun....

Chat later, I've been a Chevy guy forever and currently have 4 (and negotiating on a 5th). But, I'm also torn with the Government Motors issue........