PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Ammendment Poll

Tommy Gun
11-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Vote here now in the USA Today poll regarding your opinion on your right to bear arms...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/quickquestion/2007/november/popup5895.htm

Bobcat
11-06-2009, 10:49 AM
97%

clayinaustin
11-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh good grief. Who would vote against the 2nd amendment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution)? :confused:

JupiterSunsation
11-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I just wish less morons had guns.........seems too many stories are related to the "wrong" people possessing firearms. Gun ownership should be "licensed" just like driving a car. Learn the rules and demostrate you know how to properly use it and you can get one. I think any competent American has the right to own an arsenal....

Ted
11-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Well, the poll actually addresses the real question. Does the amendment guarantee the rights of the individual or the rights of the State militias. Thankfully only anti-gun activist courts have found on the side of state's rights. Most seem to find that the Constitution is mainly considering individual rights and the Second Amendment is no exception to that.

cigdaze
11-06-2009, 11:11 AM
"Does the Second Amendment give individuals the right to bear arms?"

It's interesting the way they word the poll. I'm not sure what the point of it really is; it's not so much of an opinion poll, rather a quiz on the interpretation of the 2nd amendment.

"...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

It (1)states that there does in fact exists a right of the people to keep and bear arms, and (2) that this existing right shall not be infringed.

So, in essence, the correct answer (not opinion) to the poll question is Yes.

3% FAIL!

Tony
11-06-2009, 11:35 AM
That poll is a little dated. Id be willing to bet if it was done currently there would be less than 3%.

Chris
11-06-2009, 11:45 AM
I just wish less morons had guns.........seems too many stories are related to the "wrong" people possessing firearms. Gun ownership should be "licensed" just like driving a car. Learn the rules and demostrate you know how to properly use it and you can get one. I think any competent American has the right to own an arsenal....

Philosophically, I agree with you. There are way too many irresponsible firearm owners. But automobiles kill WAY more people and cause WAY more economic harm, and the driver's education/licencing that we have now is a joke. There's no reason to believe that licencing or regulation of any sort will have any effect on any firearms ownership issue. Especially if administered by a government agency.

But beyond that, there's one key reason we would never permit any sort of firearms registration or licencing. The keystone to us holding on to our firearms is the Constitutional argument that we are guaranteed the right to own them. Any concession, regardless of how much sense it would make or how many lives/dollars it might save, would open the door for those that vehemently desire to ban and seize all civilian-owned firearms. If we were to concede even the smallest bit of ground in this area, that crack would unleash the floodgates. They would have what they needed to argue the interpretive view of the Second Amendment, not the black-letter interpretation. So, unfortunately, there is not now nor do I ever foresee a middle-ground compromise.

One issue firearms owners have been concerned about is the control and restriction on ammunition sales. The recent Supreme Court actions on firearms regulation has sent a signal to the current administration and their Congressional minority that it wouldn't be a good time to press the issue. If not for a few key rulings, you can rest assured there would be a significant and overt effort underway to the ultimate ban or severe restriction on firearms possession. But ammunition is a different story. The Second Amendment doesn't guarantee you the right to keep and bear ammunition.

Big Time
11-06-2009, 12:34 PM
I just wish less morons had guns.........

Guns don't kill people...people kill people.

cuda
11-06-2009, 01:11 PM

Do you think the gangsters give a damn whether their gun is legal?

clayinaustin
11-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Do you think the gangsters give a damn whether their gun is legal?

When guns are outlawed, then only the outlaws will have the guns.

:lurk5:

cuda
11-06-2009, 01:15 PM
One of the reasons the Japanese didn't want to invade the US is because so many of it's citizens are armed.

MattBMiller
11-06-2009, 03:06 PM

clayinaustin
11-06-2009, 03:25 PM
LMAO! That's is priceless! :D

Sea-Dated
11-06-2009, 03:49 PM
I want that sign. I have a neighbor I could point that at.......

glassdave
11-06-2009, 04:05 PM
I just wish less morons had guns........

there was a shoot out last month in a local bar here in Toledo that got national headlines. Involved about four or five armed idiots in a crowded bar and all open fired "gangster style" and out of about fourty shots fired not one single person was hit. Not that i think these morons should ever take even a moments time to educate themselves but it sure drives home the point many have made here on the board "Learn the rules and demonstrate you know how to properly use it". Its amazing that in such a close and tense situation that not a single one of them had the ability to effectively operate their firearm. Any one of these idiots or someone very much like them could be the person you have to defend yourself against someday. Education is better then luck any day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFDFaO5ua-U

+1 more on the 2nd amendment

Bobcat
11-06-2009, 04:23 PM
there was a shoot out last month in a local bar here in Toledo that got national headlines. Involved about four or five armed idiots in a crowded bar and all open fired "gangster style" and out of about fourty shots fired not one single person was hit. Not that i think these morons should ever take even a moments time to educate themselves but it sure drives home the point many have made here on the board "Learn the rules and demonstrate you know how to properly use it". Its amazing that in such a close and tense situation that not a single one of them had the ability to effectively operate their firearm. Any one of these idiots or someone very much like them could be the person you have to defend yourself against someday. Education is better then luck any day.

looked like a country and western bar to me:leaving:

Ted
11-06-2009, 05:55 PM

They just needed the proper equipment: :sifone::ack2:

phragle
11-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Dave what scares me about those type of people...sure they can't hit what they are aiming at...but since I am NOT what they are aiming at.... my chances of getting hit are that much greater....

Trim'd Up
11-06-2009, 06:30 PM

The same thing happens in most shootouts that include "trained" police officers and the majority of police shootings take place at less than 7 yards.

Trim'd Up
11-06-2009, 06:34 PM

The whole idea of the second amendment is that gun possession is a RIGHT not a privilege. The criminals could give a phuck less if they are licensed or not. They are still going to have guns.

IL already has a licensing system and it is a joke. Just another way to collect money and control the populace. All it does is turn law abiding citizens into felons.

JupiterSunsation
11-06-2009, 06:45 PM
The same thing happens in most shootouts that include "trained" police officers and the majority of police shootings take place at less than 7 yards.

not on TV/Movies..........:sifone:

Thug idiots like the bar shooter are the people who shouldn't be armed. Guns allow some people to act out aggression that would normally not happen....if the kid acts tough and somebody knocks him out then confrontation over. Those bar shooters were a bunch of wannabe punks that were not 2nd amendment, NRA advocates and could have hurt a lot of innocent people playing gangster.

Wish someone like Walter from the Big Lebowski was there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiQmQhA-OrM&feature=related

glassdave
11-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Dave what scares me about those type of people...sure they can't hit what they are aiming at...but since I am NOT what they are aiming at.... my chances of getting hit are that much greater....

I would suggest you not hang out at the Route 66 bar :sifone:

phragle
11-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Dave...somebody shot up the whales tale a couple months ago....

glassdave
11-06-2009, 07:34 PM
dont hang out there either

you gonna be around sunday? may throw the 38 in or something.

cuda
11-06-2009, 07:45 PM

It's not uncommon with high capacity semi autos. Even the police aren't as accurate when they know they have 16 shots at their disposal. It's what is known as "Spray, and pray". :(