View Full Version : Interior brick walls

MarylandMark
11-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Looking to add one to my house.

Anyone ever use this?

http://brickit.com/index.asp

cuda
11-01-2009, 07:19 PM
We have put fake brick over drywall in some Pizza Huts and Cultured Stone in some McDonalds, and in a Dan Marino's, but never as a load bearing wall. There was always block or drywall behind it.

MarylandMark
11-01-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm going over where the orange paint is; nothing structural. 1/2 depth bricks over drywall. What did you think of the stuff you used?

Dan Marino- I know a guy that worked on his house for like 3 years doing some huge addition about 5 years ago IIRC. Tony Farri is his name if it rings a bell- think he was like the GC.

Chris
11-01-2009, 09:00 PM
You'd probably have to overlay the sheetrock with a cement board of some sort.

Bobcat
11-01-2009, 09:16 PM
dura rock

cuda
11-01-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm going over where the orange paint is; nothing structural. 1/2 depth bricks over drywall. What did you think of the stuff you used?

Dan Marino- I know a guy that worked on his house for like 3 years doing some huge addition about 5 years ago IIRC. Tony Farri is his name if it rings a bell- think he was like the GC.

It was a Dan Marino's Restaurant and Martini Bar at Baywalk in St Pete.

cuda
11-01-2009, 09:36 PM
You'd probably have to overlay the sheetrock with a cement board of some sort.

It wouldn't hurt, but we've gone over drywall before.

txriverrat2001
11-01-2009, 09:49 PM
So - quick question. The bottom level of my house is a "half basement" ... buried on one end, but open on the other (house is built on a hillside). It's a cinder block build and I would like to finish the exterior with something like this - thoughts?

Bobcat
11-01-2009, 11:55 PM
have a good stucco guy come in and leave a smooth finish, no mold ever, dry wall is absolute sh*t in a high humidity application, dry wall sucks period .

cuda
11-02-2009, 06:57 AM
So - quick question. The bottom level of my house is a "half basement" ... buried on one end, but open on the other (house is built on a hillside). It's a cinder block build and I would like to finish the exterior with something like this - thoughts?

Just put it over the block with some multi purpose thinset.

Audiofn
11-02-2009, 09:27 AM

They make a real stone veneer rock that you can use that IMO is much nicer then the fake stuff. The problem with the fake stuff is they want you to leave it 1" over grade so it looks.... FAKE. Plus I have seen a few houses were it cracks over time. The real cut stone goes up very fast and is only 3/4" thick and looks real because it is. It costs about twice what the fake stuff does but IMO it is worth it.

TIKI
11-02-2009, 11:34 AM
You can go straight over the drywall. Cement board is used for "wet" applications...like in showers or bathrooms. If you do want to use a backer board use Dens Sheild Backer Board. It has better qualities than a cement board (Durock) and cuts like regular drywall...plus it doesn't weigh a ton like cement board.

Tommy Gun
11-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Those thin brick systems work pretty well. Have even used them in some exterior applications; have one up over 15 years with no problems.

MarylandMark
11-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Been offline drinking for a few days and just getting back to this..

I'm wanting the 1/2 brick things. This is on the 2nd floor so I'd guess weight is an issue to some extent but the builder says the floor will hold whatever I have put up. Drywall is already up and all that so not really looking to have to put any backer boards up. The other side of this wall is concrete.

The link I posted is for real 1/2 bricks; just looks like the mounting system is pretty foolproof to install myself and/or be able to save a few $ on labor while still getting a good, straight wall.

http://brickit.com/index.asp

cuda
11-08-2009, 04:53 PM
You can go straight over the drywall. Cement board is used for "wet" applications...like in showers or bathrooms. If you do want to use a backer board use Dens Sheild Backer Board. It has better qualities than a cement board (Durock) and cuts like regular drywall...plus it doesn't weigh a ton like cement board.

And it cuts with a razor knife,

cuda
11-08-2009, 04:58 PM
We put some fake brick in a Pizza Hut that came with a metal board that you screw to the wall that has spacers built in. It was a Pita to use, so I just used 3/8 ths sisal rope to space it, and then just pulled to rope out when the brick set up.

cuda
11-08-2009, 05:01 PM
They make a real stone veneer rock that you can use that IMO is much nicer then the fake stuff. The problem with the fake stuff is they want you to leave it 1" over grade so it looks.... FAKE. Plus I have seen a few houses were it cracks over time. The real cut stone goes up very fast and is only 3/4" thick and looks real because it is. It costs about twice what the fake stuff does but IMO it is worth it.

The cultured stone is made from concrete, so unless the substrate cracks, it should never crack unless it was **** poor installation. My neighbor across the street does it on multi million dollar homes in Orlando.

MarylandMark
11-08-2009, 05:36 PM

MarylandMark
11-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Kind of what this stuff is I think

sellsman11
11-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Boring thread....REPORTED!!:sifone:

cuda
11-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Kind of what this stuff is I think

That's what we put in the Pizza Hut. The metal was more trouble than it was worth.