PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hear about this?

gerritm
10-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Makes you think.
I bet you never saw this in any newspaper in the USA ? Another very Quiet appointment?

Obama Appoints 2 Devout Muslims
to Homeland Security Posts

(NOTE: Has anyone ever heard a new
government official being identified as a
devout Catholic, Jew or Protestant...?
Just wondering)
Doesn't this make you feel safer already??

Obama and Janet Napolitano Appoint Devout Muslim
to Homeland Security Post,
Arif Alikhan as Assistant Secretary for
Policy Development.
Source for announcement:
Homeland Security Press Room <http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1240595153301.shtm>
http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2009/06/obama-appointment-arif-ali-khan-asst-secretary-dhs.html <http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2009/06/obama-appointment-arif-ali-khan-asst-secretary-dhs.html>

Kareem Shora, who was born in Damascus, Syria
was appointed by DHS Secretary Napolitano
on Homeland Security Advisory Council (HSAC)
Washington, DC
June 5, 2009
www.adc.org <http://www.adc.org/>
The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee
(ADC) is proud to announce that earlier today
at a ceremony held in Albuq uerque , New Mexico ,
DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano swore-in
ADC National Executive Director Kareem Shora
s a member of the Homeland Security Advisory
Council (HSAC).
Devout Muslims being appointed to critical Homeland Security positions? That should make our homeland much safer, huh!!
Was it not men of the "Devout Muslim Faith" that flew planes into U.S. buildings not too long ago. Once again, what the hell is this president thinking?

jayboat
10-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Another ridiculous thread. :icon_bs: You should be so proud of yourself for alerting all of us to this new threat.

But your note makes a good point: WTF does a person's religious belief have to do with their ability to do the job? Maybe we should investigate all the Catholics in government positions just to make sure they aren't plotting some sort of new crusade.

gerritm
10-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Another ridiculous thread. :icon_bs: You should be so proud of yourself for alerting all of us to this new threat.

But your note makes a good point: WTF does a person's religious belief have to do with their ability to do the job? Maybe we should investigate all the Catholics in government positions just to make sure they aren't plotting some sort of new crusade.

I don't remember any Catholics, (which is my faith) flying planes into the World Trade Center, (which my wife was outside and saw everything). Seems to me that worldwide the devout Muslims are the ones causing problems right now not Catholics or any other faith. Jay maybe you need to pull your head out of the sand and look beyond your blind faith to Obama. There is a big world out there and a lot going on.

DAREDEVIL
10-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Grow up america

fund razor
10-28-2009, 08:31 AM
This was a missed opportunity for you to explain that we need people of all backgrounds to be able to know what's going on around the world Jay. It was a missed opportunity to explain that it was not devout, but radicals that attacked the wts.

You make me wonder though, should we add a couple of atheists to the homeland security team so we can keep abreast of what all the insufferable pr*cks are doing? :)

cigdaze
10-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Coping with the simple fact that the majority of attacks against us and our way of life have come predominantly from Muslims in recent decades, I'll be straight up, I'm not entirely too comfortable with these appointments to our Homeland Security department, but that's just my disdain for change and my conservative side shining through. But hey, with vast experiences such as from The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, his qualifications for a security post are obvious. :rolleyes:

On the flipside, we must confess that these Muslims probably have a large amount of insight and understanding about what it is that we're trying to secure ourselves against. Time will tell.

The face of America is changing; some for the better, some for the worse, and that's just something we'll have to live with I suppose, because diversity is supposed to be a good thing.

But the biggest problem I have with all of this is the appointment part. Anytime I see someone appointed to any public service position I cringe as there are perhaps only a very few that aren't serving an agenda or simply passing out favors.

Tom A.
10-28-2009, 08:42 AM
I am usually on the Republican side of things and 9/11 changed my life and a lot of my views. That being said, I work very closely with a devout Muslim who is so far away from the radical Muslims in thoughts and beliefs (he broke down in tears on 9/11) that it makes me think these people may be good to put in those security positions. To defeat the enemy you must know the enemies core beliefs and their twisted interpretations of them.

JupiterSunsation
10-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Kareem Shora and Arif Alikhan seem like names that should be tracked by men with badges not the names on the badge.....but on the flip side they probably speak the language/know the culture already so they can get to work quicker without the learning curve.

My buddy's dad always said the best cop is one that was a borderline criminal since he knows the ropes from both sides!

cigdaze
10-28-2009, 08:50 AM
And by the way, this is no more or less ridiculous than any other current event topic. It's perfectly valid and open for discussion with civility. If we can't debate these matters of life and opinion without insulting and being insulted by one another, what's left?...

jayboat
10-28-2009, 09:09 AM
And by the way, this is no more or less ridiculous than any other current event topic. It's perfectly valid and open for discussion with civility. If we can't debate these matters of life and opinion without insulting and being insulted by one another, what's left?...

Totally agree w you re the current event thing- dialog is good. But I guess the tone and slant of that first post didn't bother you.

cigdaze
10-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Totally agree w you re the current event thing- dialog is good. But I guess the tone and slant of that first post didn't bother you.

Ya sure, it's biased and slanted...but aren't all opinions? Last I checked it's still okay to question the wisdom of presidential decisions, I recall a lot of that over the course of the last 8 years; We're not entirely run by the Chinese yet. :D

:) ;)

Trim'd Up
10-28-2009, 09:58 AM
I work with several muslims on regular basis and have spent enough time with them to call them friends. I even dated a muslim girl a few years ago (she was hot!) ;). Overall the muslims I know are better, less hypocritical people than most catholics I know, myself included. I don't know enough about these appointments to judge them just because of their religion, but I don't really like the idea of appointing someone from an activist group, with no pertinent experience. I am much more likely to disapprove of the appointments because the Obama admin. made them, and I have yet to see anything intelligent from this admin.

Airpacker
10-28-2009, 09:59 AM
The fact that these guys are "Devout Muslim" should be good news.
True "Devout Muslims" do not believe in the radical interpretation of their chosen faith just as the majority of "Devout Christians" do not believe in the radical right, Quakers, Mormons, and so ons interpretation of the Christian faith.

Radical Muslims are not really "Devout" as they twist the words of their "Bible" to suit their agenda, just as radical Christians do.

Maybe, just maybe their understanding of the Muslim faith will help your homeland security people develope better ways to anticipate and act pre-emptively against the "RADICALS" who proclaim their actions are commanded by God as opposed to REACT to what has already transpired?

Chris
10-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Whites, blacks, Jews, Hispanics, orientals... thieves, rapists and muderers are found in all of those segments.

Hitler and Stalin were white guys. The same sorts of people that made up that flood of immigration to the U.S. in the first part of the 20th century. Between them they were directly responsible for the deaths of 17 million people and the cause of the deaths of many millions more. Based on the fact that my Father's father was born in the same area of Austria as Hitler and his wife was Russian, I'm a guy that should be watched closely.

Airpacker
10-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Whites, blacks, Jews, Hispanics, orientals... thieves, rapists and muderers are found in all of those segments.

Hitler and Stalin were white guys. The same sorts of people that made up that flood of immigration to the U.S. in the first part of the 20th century. Between them they were directly responsible for the deaths of 17 million people and the cause of the deaths of many millions more. Based on the fact that my Father's father was born in the same area of Austria as Hitler and his wife was Russian, I'm a guy that should be watched closely.

Well put boss. Well put.

Wobble
10-28-2009, 10:06 AM
The fact that these guys are "Devout Muslim" should be good news.
True "Devout Muslims" do not believe in the radical interpretation of their chosen faith just as the majority of "Devout Christians" do not believe in the radical right, Quakers, Mormons, and so ons interpretation of the Christian faith.

Radical Muslims are not really "Devout" as they twist the words of their "Bible" to suit their agenda, just as radical Christians do.

Maybe, just maybe their understanding of the Muslim faith will help your homeland security people develope better ways to anticipate and act pre-emptively against the "RADICALS" who proclaim their actions are commanded by God as opposed to REACT to what has already transpired?

+1 Totally agree, there are certainly more peaceful religions out there. Catholicism and has plenty to be ashamed of as do most other religions thanks to their extremist factions.

Wobble
10-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Labeling and discriminating against people because of their religion has inevitably led to conflict.

Bobcat
10-28-2009, 10:10 AM
never trust a man who doesn't drink

as much as I do:sifone:

Ted
10-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Actually Arif looks like he's got the qualifications too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arif_Alikhan

Wobble
10-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Actually Arif looks like he's got the qualifications too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arif_Alikhan

Impressive

Wobble
10-28-2009, 10:29 AM
never trust a man who doesn't drink

as much as I do:sifone:

The only thing I dont trust about a drinker is his memory...personal experience:sifone:

Chris
10-28-2009, 10:54 AM
The thing that irks me is these circulating e-mails that prey on ignorance.

They use the term "devout Muslim". How did they measure their devotion? And what's wrong with devotion?

I think they're confusing devotion with radical Muslim fundamentalism. Which is right up there with radical Christian fundamentalism. The guys blowing up abortion clinics.

LaughingCat
10-28-2009, 11:10 AM
You make me wonder though, should we add a couple of atheists to the homeland security team so we can keep abreast of what all the insufferable pr*cks are doing? :)

I might change the word unsufferable to non-suffering or unsuffering. Seems that atheists carry much less guilt around as it's not bestowed upon them by a religious leader or teachings. Following this line of thought, vampires should refocus and chase Jews and Arabs. They don't carry a Cross.

LaughingCat
10-28-2009, 11:14 AM
The thing that irks me is these circulating e-mails that prey on ignorance.

I agree. If I may take this one step further. . . why are we so consumed on the religious aspect? (rhetorical question) Think of how much money we could have saved if we actually went after those that hit us. . . the Saudi's!

We could've squished them and their army with both arms tied behind our backs.

Besides, why admonish the Arabs. Think of how convenient the women's little burka's and head-dresses are. You can shimmy that puppy down like a blindfold and use the tail as reins while you. . . Oops, not in Uncensored.

Airpacker
10-28-2009, 11:31 AM

So by your assessment, I am an insufferable *****?

Well, to each his own. I prefer the not "guilty by reason of birth" arrrangement my beliefs allow me.

jayboat
10-28-2009, 01:22 PM
So by your assessment, I am an insufferable *****?

Well, to each his own. I prefer the not "guilty by reason of birth" arrrangement my beliefs allow me.

+1 Right on, brother.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5679/keephimu.jpg

clayinaustin
10-28-2009, 01:44 PM
kareem shora and arif alikhan seem like names that should be tracked by men with badges not the names on the badge.....but on the flip side they probably speak the language/know the culture already so they can get to work quicker without the learning curve.

My buddy's dad always said the best cop is one that was a borderline criminal since he knows the ropes from both sides!

+1

PARADOX
10-28-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm just dying to get in here.. but thank God.. which ever you want... I got better things to do.

Wobble
10-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm just dying to get in here.. but thank God.. which ever you want... I got better things to do.

What kind of an excuse is that:sifone:

old377guy
10-28-2009, 04:08 PM

was Never Not our plan to Not keep a close eye on you.......

catastrophe
10-28-2009, 04:21 PM

:):):)

You go first. I'll hold your towel .
I'm waitng for someone to show up.

MarylandMark
10-28-2009, 06:20 PM
So ask yourself; if you hate these people because of their religion. Doesn't that make you more like them (or what you think they are) than not?

Hating them for the same reason they hate you makes you just as bad as them...

I use the words hate and them with the normal disclaimers that go with the N word or whatever..

WeaponX
10-28-2009, 08:56 PM
We are in for a "Change".:(:boxing_smiley:

I hope alls well in three years.

Ratickle
10-28-2009, 09:47 PM

I'm with Peter on this one.....

Tom A.
10-29-2009, 09:07 AM
We are in for a "Change".:(:boxing_smiley:

I hope alls well in three years.

Isn't the world going to end in 2012 anyway?:leaving::sifone:

gerritm
10-29-2009, 09:31 AM
So ask yourself; if you hate these people because of their religion. Doesn't that make you more like them (or what you think they are) than not?

Hating them for the same reason they hate you makes you just as bad as them...

I use the words hate and them with the normal disclaimers that go with the N word or whatever..

It bothers me that we are appointing foreigners to our Homeland security postitions. Maybe I have a different look at Muslims when my wife witnessed what they did at the World Trade Centers. Who do you guys think they will stand with when confronted with a Muslim or American security issue, their Faith or their country, USA? (one is Syria). Here is what is brewing with many, not all Muslims. I know that not all Muslims believe this, but many do.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,570146,00.html?test=latestnews

Read the whole article on what this devoted group of Muslims are preaching. It's scary. How much of this is going on right under our noses. The iman that was killed wanted a separate state under Sharia law. Check out all of the terror plot arrests in country in the last couple of months. All of them that have been arrested are devoted Muslims. What will they choose, country or religion? Look at Europe, France, the Netherlands, Holland and see where we are headed.

catastrophe
10-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Its all a case of mathematics.
To those that are younger than 40, pay attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kKkY5EpVpY

Wobble
10-29-2009, 09:48 AM
It bothers me that we are appointing foreigners to our Homeland security postitions. Maybe I have a different look at Muslims when my wife witnessed what they did at the World Trade Centers. Who do you guys think they will stand with when confronted with a Muslim or American security issue, their Faith or their country, USA? (one is Syria). Here is what is brewing with many, not all Muslims. I know that not all Muslims believe this, but many do.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,570146,00.html?test=latestnews

Read the whole article on what this devoted group of Muslims are preaching. It's scary. How much of this is going on right under our noses. The iman that was killed wanted a separate state under Sharia law. Check out all of the terror plot arrests in country in the last couple of months. All of them that have been arrested are devoted Muslims. What will they choose, country or religion? Look at Europe, France, the Netherlands, Holland and see where we are headed.

Arif was born in America in 1986 how is he a foreigner?

gerritm
10-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Arif was born in America in 1986 how is he a foreigner?

Washington, DC

Wobble
10-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Arnold Schwarzenegger, one of the things that makes America vital is it's immigrants.

MarylandMark
10-29-2009, 10:16 AM
To be honest I was not very comfortable with these appointments either, however after researching the appointees vs stereotyping I was OK with this decision.

Don't get me wrong- stereotyping has its merits or the stereotype would be different (example- stereotype is goth people dress in all black, if they dressed in all yellow the stereotype would be they dress in all yellow. Still true but different than dressing in all black ya see..).

Anyway- IMHO we clearly don't understand this religion well enough to protect our borders so why not get a head start with someone that does?

Did you know, according to Middle East ethics it is rude to rest your leg on your knee with the bottom of your shoe pointing at someone? See- having someone that knows stuff like that helps. Yea- it's crap to me but then again I'm not in the DHS trying to talk with people that find it offensive either.

Just saying- I'm trying to open my eyes up to make myself a better person vs taking at face value all the time. That is my personal reason- don't take that as I am saying anyone is not a better person, etc. Know how crap can get twisted in interpretation on the net...

Wait a second- is Jayboat and them Canadians rubbing off on me? Phack!

MikeyFIN
10-29-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't remember any Catholics, (which is my faith) flying planes into the World Trade Center, (which my wife was outside and saw everything). Seems to me that worldwide the devout Muslims are the ones causing problems right now not Catholics or any other faith. Jay maybe you need to pull your head out of the sand and look beyond your blind faith to Obama. There is a big world out there and a lot going on.

Ignorance is a bliss.

You forgot all about Israel stirring things up right now..like not even providing Palestinians any water and letting them all starve to death and ruining their drinking water, thats State Terrorism right there.
And you can watch it from BBC world new even RIGHT now if you want.
Regarding that ..the world in general has had about enough of their actions and might even look back of something gone wrong, like provide them an own state.
Since Israel came on the world map mideast hasn´t been nothing but problems.

Catholics have a lot done, not lately but once they clashed swords and got their opposition to the extent that the Roman Catholics churches had to pray for the Catholics from the Horrible warriors from up north...

A horribile Haccapaelitorum agmine libera nos, Domine....

Yes I´m proud of our heritage of being fierce and volatile just as the Irish which we consider to be our soulmates, not forgetting the Aussies.

MikeyFIN
10-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Washington, DC

Think I would´ve been a better choice since I´m blond and blue-eyed ?

Wobble
10-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Ignorance is a bliss.

Yes I´m proud of our heritage of being fierce and volatile just as the Irish which we consider to be our soulmates, not forgetting the Aussies.

Not so sure that the feeling is mutual.

After the fall of Italy in 1943, Finland was the strongest ally of Germany in Europe

gerritm
10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Why does everyone focus on past history and race? This is what is happening now. Did I say anything about the color of their skin. It is their unwavering alegience to their religion I am questioning. What comes first? Religion or country. In America you have the right to practice your religion, not force it on anyone else. Our civil laws take precendence over religious laws.This is 2009 not the middle ages. Mikey check out what the Muslims are doing to your neighbors the Dutch, add in the French and the English. They have basically taken away free speech and are working towards Sharia law. Check another station out besides BBC, Al Jazeera, and CNN for your Israeli news. Maybe you would see things from a different view.

catastrophe
10-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Why does everyone focus on past history and race? This is what is happening now. Did I say anything about the color of their skin. It is their unwavering alegience to their religion I am questioning. What comes first? Religion or country. In America you have the right to practice your religion, not force it on anyone else. Our civil laws take precendence over religious laws.This is 2009 not the middle ages. Mikey check out what the Muslims are doing to your neighbors the Dutch, add in the French and the English. They have basically taken away free speech and are working towards Sharia law. Check another station out besides BBC, Al Jazeera, and CNN for your Israeli news. Maybe you would see things from a different view.

I agree 100% about your views and the points you make in this post..BUT ..it doesnt apply to the 2 people that are being discussed here.

gerritm
10-29-2009, 04:35 PM
I agree 100% about your views and the points you make in this post..BUT ..it doesnt apply to the 2 people that are being discussed here.

I hope so.

cuda
10-29-2009, 06:38 PM
This country was founded on Chritianity, but allows people to follow their own faith. One persons rights extends out as far as the next guy's nose.

gerritm
11-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Guess he picked his faith.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33678801/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Wobble
11-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Guess he picked his faith.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33678801/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

I think this is a case of insanity as are many other instances. His Faith weer he devout would never allow him to do such a thing

Wobble
11-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Here is an interesting story that was part of the incident

Cop praised for quick action at Fort Hood

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/06/fort.hood.munley/index.html

gerritm
11-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Here is an interesting story that was part of the incident

Cop praised for quick action at Fort Hood

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/06/fort.hood.munley/index.html

She is definetly a hero.:USA::USA::USA:

gerritm
11-06-2009, 03:20 PM
I think this is a case of insanity as are many other instances. His Faith were he devout would never allow him to do such a thing

Mark, why is the common thread of this insanity the Muslim religion? Not Catholics, or Hindus, Jews, or Buddhists or any other civilized religion. Everywhere in the world this is going on and the only common thread is the Muslim Faith. Be it the radical element or not. If 25% of the world population is now Muslim, and 1% of them are radicals, that makes for a lot of radicals. What is it in the Muslim faith that causes people to do this.