PDA

View Full Version : Maybe should have stayed home today.....

JupiterSunsation
10-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Shoot over to the warehouse early today. I was moving a trailer so an employee could take another one. (5 X 8 utility trailers, roll by hand inside the warehouse). Employee was going to load up and run up I95 at 8am about 15-20 miles. As he is rolling the trailer, a very distinct grind was occuring (hub shot, axle grinding on center, no more bearings!). I was washing my hands when I saw what was happening. I asked him (5 yr employee) what was that noise, the answer set me off (now I already know what it is, have even glanced at it, I am asking him if he knew what it was!).

He replies, I don't know but it made that noise all day Friday! I inquired if he thought it was something I should have heard about or maybe something he should have looked into.......the answer I forgot!
I explained how this day would end if he took that trailer but didn't get much of a response, so I jacked up the trailer and took the wheel off......with my hands/no tools. Gravity was the only thing holding that wheel on......the look was priceless, kid looked at me like I was David Copperfield.......

Had it picked up, flatbedded over to a trailer shop that just changed a cracked leaf spring last week and inquired if they happened to check the bearings when it was up in the air.....Owner is a sharp guy and knew exactly what/why I was asking.

He called back two hours later and told me to pick it up......fixed, new hub/bearings no charge sorry for the inconvienence, he even covered the $67 tow bill.....

His employee that fixed the cracked spring last week was canned at 10 am, after he changed the hub for free. I relayed the story to my employee.....but didn't fire him ......yet.

This could have been a messy morning on I95 with the troopers/DOT guys filling out paperwork on a hot, humid morning.....luckily it all worked out.

catastrophe
10-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Shoot over to the warehouse early today. I was moving a trailer so an employee could take another one. (5 X 8 utility trailers, roll by hand inside the warehouse). Employee was going to load up and run up I95 at 8am about 15-20 miles. As he is rolling the trailer, a very distinct grind was occuring (hub shot, axle grinding on center, no more bearings!). I was washing my hands when I saw what was happening. I asked him (5 yr employee) what was that noise, the answer set me off (now I already know what it is, have even glanced at it, I am asking him if he knew what it was!).

He replies, I don't know but it made that noise all day Friday! I inquired if he thought it was something I should have heard about or maybe something he should have looked into.......the answer I forgot!
I explained how this day would end if he took that trailer but didn't get much of a response, so I jacked up the trailer and took the wheel off......with my hands/no tools. Gravity was the only thing holding that wheel on......the look was priceless, kid looked at me like I was David Copperfield.......

Had it picked up, flatbedded over to a trailer shop that just changed a cracked leaf spring last week and inquired if they happened to check the bearings when it was up in the air.....Owner is a sharp guy and knew exactly what/why I was asking.

He called back two hours later and told me to pick it up......fixed, new hub/bearings no charge sorry for the inconvienence, he even covered the $67 tow bill.....

His employee that fixed the cracked spring last week was canned at 10 am, after he changed the hub for free. I relayed the story to my employee.....but didn't fire him ......yet.

This could have been a messy morning on I95 with the troopers/DOT guys filling out paperwork on a hot, humid morning.....luckily it all worked out.

You are lucky!
Sometimes people just dont consider the circumstances or risk that they put their employers in by not paying attention.

Count today up as a good day.

JupiterSunsation
10-26-2009, 05:51 PM
You are lucky!
Sometimes people just dont consider the circumstances or risk that they put their employers in by not paying attention.

Count today up as a good day.

Yeah it was a good thing I was there.....it would only cost me more money, time and aggravation! Trailer guy probably has gotten 5K in repair work from me this year (boat trailer had a $2500 overhaul in May) and I have used him for 7-8 years so he knew when I was there that I wasn't thrilled....

catastrophe
10-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah it was a good thing I was there.....it would only cost me more money, time and aggravation! Trailer guy probably has gotten 5K in repair work from me this year (boat trailer had a $2500 overhaul in May) and I have used him for 7-8 years so he knew when I was there that I wasn't thrilled....

Was surely better than spraying parts all over the hiway.

phragle
10-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Relax...thats nowhere near close to a Gino story :D

Tom A.
10-26-2009, 07:46 PM

Beat me to it!

JupiterSunsation
10-26-2009, 07:56 PM

It is all relative.....Gino has more money than me to fix these "hassles".....Dopey employees are what frustrates me the most!

MacGyver
10-26-2009, 07:57 PM
It is all relative.....Gino has more money than me to fix these "hassles".....Dopey employees are what frustrates me the most!

I wonder how Gino's employee is doing? And if his finger (or whats left of it) healed up yet?