PDA

View Full Version : Austin council passes ban on texting while driving

clayinaustin
10-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Austin council passes ban on texting while driving (http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stories/102209kvue_texting_ordinance-cb.240f981cc.html)

The Austin City Council Thursday passed an ordinance that makes it illegal to view, send or text message while driving your car.

Council members approved the measure unanimously, with a vote of 7-0. It was initially supposed to take effect in November, but council members delayed it until January 2.

The council approved the idea in August, but city staff needed time to write the rules.

Each violation will be a Class C misdemeanor, which carries a fine of up to $500 and can be appealed in municipal court.

The ordinance excludes police, fire and paramedics on the job using a wireless communication device.

It also excludes drivers who are stopped at a traffic light.

BBB725
10-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Passed the no texting up here also

MarylandMark
10-23-2009, 02:27 PM
MD just went in to effect like a month ago. I'm guilty of it and it does negativity effect my driving ability.

ChiefApache
10-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Not in Cleveland you're not allowed.

Nor should you!

Trim'd Up
10-23-2009, 02:54 PM
IL passed the same law not long ago. It seems difficult to enforce though. I love how it is ok for cops to text though.

Ms PatriYacht
10-23-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't text so I don't know if it is legal or not, but allowing it at a stop light seems
to be asking for trouble, what if you are almost finished, do they think someone is
just gong to stop typing the rest of the message. We have had several accidents
involving teens texting while driving and several resulted in death

cigdaze
10-23-2009, 03:39 PM
It hasn't been banned here yet, but I hope they do. Texting is about the stupidest thing one can do while driving. I'd like to see it outlawed.

03darkshadow
10-23-2009, 04:06 PM
MD just went in to effect like a month ago. I'm guilty of it and it does negativity effect my driving ability.

yeap, that.

Wobble
10-23-2009, 04:33 PM
I am hopeful that Texas gets on this and bans texting while driving. I'd also like to see it banned while stopped at any kind of intersection.

I cant tell how many times I have reached a four way stop and realized that the first car there wasn't going because they were masturbating their phone.

LaughingCat
10-23-2009, 04:47 PM
I'd like it banned. But I would vote an exception for naked Claymates trying to find the Cigarette.

10-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Texting is about the stupidest thing one can do while driving.

+1

Cell phones are almost as bad. :boxing_smiley: